IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 260.
#1901 7 years ago

I ordered my Smaug 7/14/14 and was told last month that I should expect my game by September some time.

#1902 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Before I spend some time playing with this - have people got backstabs working with the beast fix THEY installed?

Yes, but it takes some work. There's a sweet spot on the switches, and I've managed to get them all registering front and back hits, although you DO need some velocity on a backstab. For the top ones, it'll register ramp turnarounds, and for the bottom ones, it'll get loop hits. The Warg is a little under-sensitive right now, but otherwise they seem to work OK. You're probably never going to get really slow hits registering from the back.

I have had problems with the mechs getting stuck on the plastic inserts, but that was a matter of bending the bracket a little so it doesn't catch.

#1903 7 years ago

Yeah as long as it registers proper backstabs I guess thats ok. There is a mode where you have to hit the right orbit and as soon as you hit it the spider pops up.... and the ball smashes into the back of it and completes the mode. Really satisfying for some reason so gotta get that working again.

Which Bracket are you bending exactly? I have a little issue with the back of the Spider hitting the edge of the wood slightly. The Mech is designed a bit weird that the 2 x shafts wobble a little, so not sure what I should be bending or if it is just sitting on the wrong end of the wobble if that makes sense.

#1904 7 years ago

officially in the club .....LE #3

20160909_011755 (resized).jpg20160909_011755 (resized).jpg

#1905 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Which Bracket are you bending exactly? I have a little issue with the back of the Spider hitting the edge of the wood slightly. The Mech is designed a bit weird that the 2 x shafts wobble a little, so not sure what I should be bending or if it is just sitting on the wrong end of the wobble if that makes sense.

See the red circled one in the attached picture. It was already curved, but in this case, it was jamming behind the insert. I bent it forward a little so that it impacted the plastic instead. The other thing to watch out for though is that it can also bind against the screw, so it's a fine adjustment.

beast (resized).jpgbeast (resized).jpg

#1906 7 years ago

What a great machine. I am really having a blast playing it and most of my friends and family (who normally are not so much interested in pinball) love it.

My only disappointment so far is that killing Smaug isn't really great. It just happens by accident. Spoiler: ... I know that I have to hit the single lit dwarf target with a shot from the kickback. But this just doesn't work. I wish it would be more like killing the witch in WOZ. Maybe they could stop the crazy Smaug multiball once you get close and drain all balls. And then you get two balls back in play and have to hit Smaug similar to the witch. As Smaug is flying a rotating /moving drop target would be a nice target for the final shot. What do you think.

Once I killed Smaug the final scene is missing quite some sound effects and / or music. It's so quite. When he's hitting the ground there should be sth besides the shaker rattling the cab. Or is there something wrong with my software? I guess not.

#1907 7 years ago

Maybe throw a spoiler alert up?

Could be wrong because I stopped reading at killed Smaug but yea.

#1908 7 years ago

I never post pictures of delivery trucks. Well there..I did it!

IMG_20160910_113259 (resized).jpgIMG_20160910_113259 (resized).jpg

#1909 7 years ago

I actually think the missus won't even notice, hehe..

Before..

IMG20160910143037 (resized).jpgIMG20160910143037 (resized).jpg

After..
IMG20160910182721 (resized).jpgIMG20160910182721 (resized).jpg

#1910 7 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

What a great machine. I am really having a blast playing it and most of my friends and family (who normally are not so much interested in pinball) love it.
My only disappointment so far is that killing Smaug isn't really great. It just happens by accident. Spoiler: ... I know that I have to hit the single lit dwarf target with a shot from the kickback. But this just doesn't work. I wish it would be more like killing the witch in WOZ. Maybe they could stop the crazy Smaug multiball once you get close and drain all balls. And then you get two balls back in play and have to hit Smaug similar to the witch. As Smaug is flying a rotating /moving drop target would be a nice target for the final shot. What do you think.
Once I killed Smaug the final scene is missing quite some sound effects and / or music. It's so quite. When he's hitting the ground there should be sth besides the shaker rattling the cab. Or is there something wrong with my software? I guess not.

Great ideamaybe disable beast multiball in last stage. Make the qualifier to hit the orbit Shot and maybe temp hold the ball while you load the win lance. Only issues is the more balls you have the harder it is.

I've finished the mode twice. Once was on purpose. 1 was completely by accident.

#1911 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Great ideamaybe disable beast multiball in last stage. Make the qualifier to hit the orbit Shot and maybe temp hold the ball while you load the win lance. Only issues is the more balls you have the harder it is.
I've finished the mode twice. Once was on purpose. 1 was completely by accident.

Lots of code tweaks to come methinks

#1912 7 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Lots of code tweaks to come methinks

I agree.
The game is a little multi-ball heavy right now, it needs something like a few 2 ball modes to balance it out. Or do something with the magnets.
Balanced code and finishing the game will make it the best!
Its hard to wait for the next update.
Im excited that the battle of 5 armies is coming soon. Epic wont even describe it!

#1913 7 years ago

My Hobbit won't come on, anyone have any ideas what to check for? I power it on and can hear the hum of the transformer, but there are no play field lights and the screens stay black. Let me know what you guys think. I opened a ticket with support too, waiting to hear back from them. Thx

#1914 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

My Hobbit won't come on, anyone have any ideas what to check for? I power it on and can hear the hum of the transformer, but there are no play field lights and the screens stay black. Let me know what you guys think. I opened a ticket with support too, waiting to hear back from them. Thx

Most likely a cord came unplugged. Re seat all connections going to the computer

#1915 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

See if this helps, it might just be a failed boot of the PC:
Turn off game
Unplug it from the wall.
Flip the power switch to the game on and then off.
Reset the computer.
Replug into the wall.
Turn the game back on.

#1916 7 years ago

Is there a reset button like on woz? That is what it sounds like.

#1917 7 years ago

I lifted up the playfield and opened up the metal cabinet that houses the computer and control circuity. The big control board on the left turns on and lights up, but the computer doesn't come on. The standard PC style power supply doesn't come on, the fan doesn't spin, etc. Sounds like the PC power supply is dead? I checked the power connections to it and they all seem connected. :-/

#1918 7 years ago

I'm out of town, my son tells me that one of the pop ups is not coming up. Since I can't see the game looking for a direction to point him in.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#1919 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

looking for a direction to point him in.

Something is binding it, maybe the hole in the playfield it goes through.

LTG : )

#1920 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

but the computer doesn't come on.

Did you try jump starting the motherboard ?

#1921 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I'm out of town, my son tells me that one of the pop ups is not coming up. Since I can't see the game looking for a direction to point him in.

Is there a ball jammed in the mech? I see you have the fix... so maybe no.
Is the character head (Goblin) loose/missing a screw, tilting forward or sideways, sucked a ball down with it and now binding?
It looks like its tilting forward in the pic and hitting the lighted white plastic...but it seems lower.
Could also be hitting a wire that fell, under the PF, near the mech and binding underneath.

#1922 7 years ago

Does he know how to test it?

#1923 7 years ago

Best ball trap eva. Video shows it staying trapped during the ball search.

IMG20160911122404 (resized).jpgIMG20160911122404 (resized).jpg

#1924 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Best ball trap eva.

I had same exact thing happen. Ball search kicked it out when smaug looked around

#1925 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Check the springs at the back attached to the flap.

I've had them compress and kind of get stuck within the bracket they attach to.

All I had to do was push the mech up from underneath and while supporting it, push down on the flap from above and it sort of dislodges the stuck spring.

#1926 7 years ago

Does anyone know if JJP sells the rubber trim that they had on WOZ on the top of the head or backbox?

I'm working on finalizing a deal for a Hobbit but the top of the head has a small dent/scuff on the left side. I noticed my WOZ has that rubber protection piece but the Hobbit apparently doesn't. If I could get that piece I could just cover up the part that has a small scuff.

Excited to be close to getting one.

#1927 7 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Does anyone know if JJP sells the rubber trim that they had on WOZ on the top of the head or backbox?

Contact them and see.

WOZ needed it for the state fair balloon pop bumper. Hobbit doesn't need it.

#1928 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I had same exact thing happen. Ball search kicked it out when smaug looked around

I thought that would happen too. That's why I took the video. It just rolled around in there.

#1929 7 years ago

Thanks for all the info. Too late on the east coast now so I will have him try the above suggestions and report back!!!

#1930 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

See the red circled one in the attached picture. It was already curved, but in this case, it was jamming behind the insert. I bent it forward a little so that it impacted the plastic instead. The other thing to watch out for though is that it can also bind against the screw, so it's a fine adjustment.

I added washers (size 3/16x3/4x18g) to the side with the curved metal. Havn't had a single stuck beast yet.

washer (resized).jpgwasher (resized).jpg

Also found my first min led GI circuit death. Do JJP sell these yet?

#1931 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Also found my first min led GI circuit death.

You can plug it into a different spot to be sure.

Quoted from koops:

Do JJP sell these yet?

If your warranty doesn't cover it, yes.

#1932 7 years ago

for those that got the playfield protector are you happy with it?

#1933 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I added washers (size 3/16x3/4x18g) to the side with the curved metal. Havn't had a single stuck beast yet.

Good idea-if mine stick again, I'll do the same.

#1934 7 years ago

Which cable controls the entire GI?

I've been lifting up my pf a lot for tweaks. Today the GI went off. Ans then on again a second later.
Happened everytime I lowered and raised the pin.
Is it that mini USB cable?

#1935 7 years ago
Quoted from bonanza:

Yes, it's great! Probably overkill, but it looks great and plays great and I can cut it off down the road years later and have basically a NOS pf.

#1936 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Which cable controls the entire GI?

http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/game-specific-downloads/the-hobbit-downloads/ Download the manual here to help you run down the GI cable.

#1937 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Holy smokes! That is crazy. At least it's not visible.

Yeah that one hole turned out to be the worst, the rest weren't bad. I have to give a shout out to Victor @ JJP. He sent me a set of the top mylar pieces for free in the mail which I just received today! I installed them tonight so now I can play my game again

I am very happy with the support I have received from JJP.

#1938 7 years ago

When I would plunge the ball it used to make it to the upper dwarF target - now only the d or w. What do I need to do to make sure it is aligned properly to get the maximum distance?

#1939 7 years ago

Anyone got the new ramp flaps yet? The update kit was in my box with all the other fixes, but no ramp flaps. 2 days' playing and they are beat to hell. Epic machine though! Mode lock, yeah!!

#1940 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

When I would plunge the ball it used to make it to the upper dwarF target - now only the d or w. What do I need to do to make sure it is aligned properly to get the maximum distance?

Plunger isn't touching the autolauncher mech in the way through is it?

If the playfield shifts too far to one side it can happen.

#1941 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yes, it's great! Probably overkill, but it looks great and plays great and I can cut it off down the road years later and have basically a NOS pf.

My thoughts exactly!

I have heard other users (non hobbit) complain about them but I have one on both my hobbit and starwars and I'd get them on every pin eventually.

#1942 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Does anyone have a fix for this problem as my HOBBIT SMAUG has the same problem as it doesn't even get the ball onto the playing field it so weak .

#1943 7 years ago
Quoted from Tastysirloin:

Does anyone have a fix for this problem as my HOBBIT SMAUG has the same problem as it doesn't even get the ball onto the playing field it so weak .

I can no longer hit those either. Going to install a red spring I have laying around and see how that works

#1944 7 years ago
Quoted from Tastysirloin:

Check AA thread. Your playfield Is sitting a little bit to the right and the plunger is hitting the auto plunger on the way through.

#1945 7 years ago
Quoted from bonanza:

Yes. It protectes everything you would otherwise cover with mylar. Normally a new machine gets played the most when it is new. You can play the hell out of it and then later just take the protector of and the playfield will be as good as new. Big plus.

I don ot feel the game plays very differently with it. My WoZ came without one and put one on myself. Difference is not much. Decided to get Hobbit with protector from factory.

#1946 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Quoted from Jeekayjay:

I can no longer hit those either. Going to install a red spring I have laying around and see how that works

Mine would only ever reach the R when I first setup the game (has never reached the F) and now it will only reach the A. Personally I hate how weak the spring is and am seriously considering replacing it with a stronger one.

#1947 7 years ago

Some thoughts on Smaug multiball:

I agree that the Smaug multiball should not mix with the beast mutiball. Its a little too chaotic and one loses track of which goal you are attempting. Killing Smaug or killing beasts?

I think that the sequence to kill Smaug should entail 5 separate, discreet multiball games, much like separate modes leading up to the final mode that you can kill Smaug. They should be in sequence so that you might know that Smaugs death is imminent if you work the modes and reach the last level.

Possibly 5 separate goals with awards and completion bonuses.
I know its setup that way anyway, but I was thinking of better separation and some finality between goals?

This should be like the WOZ that has separate games within the various modes and you know exactly where you are in them.

I think the current code is a bit multiball heavy and separating the modes will give a lot more variety.

Since the code isnt complete yet our feedback is important.
Any one else thinking the same? Or have better ideas?

#1948 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I agree that the Smaug multiball should not mix with the beast mutiball. Its a little too chaotic and one loses track of which goal you are attempting. Killing Smaug or killing beasts?
I think that the sequence to kill Smaug should entail 5 separate, discreet multiball games, much like separate modes leading up to the final mode that you can kill Smaug. They should be in sequence so that you might know that Smaugs death is imminent if you work the modes and reach the last level.
This should be like the WOZ that has separate games within the various modes and you know exactly where you are in them.
I think the current code is a bit multiball heavy and separating the modes will give a lot more variety.

Agree whole heartedly. I've said for a while I think it's a bit too chaotic with the mb's. But there is also an argument to be made to control the mb's. Maybe that's what Keith wants. I've tried but fall back to flailing away. Wish there was some time to look up at the screen to see what needs to be accomplished or more call outs.

#1949 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I don't want to miss on the multiball chaos. It also can be fun and challenging. But - as I wrote here some days ago - I would prefer to separate the multiball madness from the "Killing smaug" finale section. So once you get through the multiball the machine could drain the balls, pause other running modes and give you 2 balls back for killing smaug. Similar to destroying the ring and the witch.

#1950 7 years ago

Well mine is still offline until I can get the rest of the trapdoor mylar but the list of problems has grown a bit. Just diagnosed the lamp problem, someone at the factory cable tied the lamp board B to C cable so tight that it's actually damaged it internally. Just tested with an old cat5 cable I had and bingo, solid lamps again near the back.

However I still have problems with Smaug - it would really help if some owner(s) could play their game for 15 minutes and let me know if the smaug rotation motor gets really hot. Mine had the whole bracket hot to the touch. Also if you switch the game into test mode from attract, does the Smaug left stop switch show as active? Mine works, but it seems to park just off the switch as if it can't really hold it there and I wonder if this results in a stronger hold voltage or something crazy like that. Or maybe they just burn hot as the sun as standard?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hardware
Pinball Haven

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/39 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.