Topic Stats

• 7,828 posts
  • 515 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by Wildbill327
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,144 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpg
182073EA-3A86-4714-A07D-DE14034970C6 (resized).jpeg
B7D506CB-DD8C-4B4D-A4C1-A02716D2C79C (resized).jpeg
FC83295A-EEBB-44D9-8B79-4FE11917D16A (resized).jpeg
20190903_191923 (resized).jpg
20191011_105330 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 157.
#1851 3 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

The pin is packed into the crate standing vertically with the back of the lower cabinet at the bottom. This makes the playfield standing vertically and literally hanging by the two (2) hooked bracket

No, that means JJP is at fault with how its packed he said R&L is at fault.. so what caused it..did they drop the entire box putting strain on the playfiled latches? Did they unbox it and put additional weight trying to move it into place? The playfield is indeed very heavy but if it was not handled improperly then everyone's game would have this issue or there was some other change like a missing foam block or the latches are different.

If in fact it's getting bent from normal trucking like hitting a pot hole then the foam is not doing it's job and this needs to be addressed in packing.

#1852 3 years ago

My LE is scheduled to be delivered today. Hopefully it arrives safe and sound and I can start playing it tonight. Much excite.

#1853 3 years ago
Quoted from system11:

I have this exact same problem with my SE that we finally unpacked and got inside the house today. The glass is identical width to WOZ but the cabinet is 1/32" wider. I have no cabinet splitting evident or anything like that, the problem is even top and bottom of the glass.
On WOZ the glass is held fairly well with only minor movement side to side available. On Hobbit unless you position the glass perfectly it falls onto the edge of the wood instead on one side. You have to slide in the glass at a diagonal angle and carefully straighten up when it's in, to get it resting correctly.
My guess is the channels for the plastic guide have been cut wrong or the manufacturer of the plastic guides has changed the spec. The edge of the plastic is a clear 2mm away from the edge of the wood on both sides. Not going to be an easy fix to this - some nylon liners about 2mm wide placed on the inside of the glass channels would at least centre it properly and stop this happening.
How the fuck did they leave the factory like this?

Jjp sent me the nylon fix for the glass. It was easy and works much better now. A service ticket is needed if you have this issue.

#1854 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Jjp sent me the nylon fix for the glass. It was easy and works much better now. A service ticket is needed if you have this issue.

Thanks, going to be one of those multi-tickets unfortunately.

So far:
Glass not fitting correctly
Rollover jamming balls (fixed)
Smaug motor overheating & mouth stiff
Frame for LCD screen falling off due to overtightening & bowing of the protective plastic it sticks to.
Some loose drop target stop screws (fixed)

#1855 3 years ago
Quoted from RickAHG:

I just received my Hobbit LE today and I have the same problem. The brackets are bent, this is caused by the weight of the play field and the pin being mishandled by the shipping company (R&L Freight) in my case. You need to remove the 3 screws on the bracket and bend it back into shape to be able to play the pin. Pictured is the damage!

Omg sorry that's sucks. Just trying to imagine exactly how roughly the box would need to be handled to do that...

#1856 3 years ago
Quoted from tron1969:

I'm really enjoying the hobbit but the multi balls seem a little to easy to start and to frequent, it would be nice to focus on the the missions without a multiball always starting. Stacking the multi balls is insanity all I do is watch the flippers and try to keep everything going, one multiball takes away from the others. What does everyone else think?

I agree about too frequent multiballs, especially when playing Smaug. They are considering doing something about this for the next update. However you will find that as you get better and play deeper (longer) into the game the Beast Multiball mode becomes harder to start and you can avoid the madness if you plan your shots carefully. It takes quite a bit of play to get to this point in the game, but it's a great reward for improved play once you get there.

#1857 3 years ago

By the way is there a solution for balls flying off the right wireform? Pinside really ought to start keeping a common problems & updates thread per game.

#1858 3 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

Haven't played a game yet, but turned it on and Smaug started moving around, like it was in test mode. As it moved, it looked like it was shuttering, or having trouble moving a little. Anyone notice this? Is this a problem? Should the movement be smooth?

My Smaug moves a speaks smoothly in test but during gameplay he's a little choppy moving right and left, not always pointing where u think he should, and voice does not match up well.

Since he is fine in test I assumed it was a software thing.

#1859 3 years ago
Quoted from system11:

By the way is there a solution for balls flying off the right wireform? Pinside really ought to start keeping a common problems & updates thread per game.

There's a tweaks and adjustments thread for TH.

#1860 3 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Look here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments

#1861 3 years ago

I wonder why JJP didn't put mylar all the way around the trolls - after 4 games I have scratching to the clearcoat behind 3/4 of them.

#1862 3 years ago
Quoted from system11:

I wonder why JJP didn't put mylar all the way around the trolls - after 4 games I have scratching to the clearcoat behind 3/4 of them.

I responded to your post on the other thread you posted to and I agree about putting Mylar all the way around. I imagine it was put only at the bottom for easy installation? Just guessing.

I will be installing Mylar at the top of my pop ups. I just checked and all four are digging into the clear after 220 plays.

#1863 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I responded to your post on the other thread you posted to and I agree about putting Mylar all the way around. I imagine it was put only at the bottom for easy installation? Just guessing.
I will be installing Mylar at the top of my pop ups. I just checked and all four are digging into the clear after 220 plays.

Another plus for the pf protector.

Edit: and the Mylar is all around the "trolls" anyways.

#1864 3 years ago

My Mylar go moes all the way around the beast flaps right from factory .

Also make sure you file any burrs that you can feel along the underside of the edges of the beast flaps. I had burrs on 3 out of 4 which where digging into Mylar after like 5 plays.

Use your finger and if it "catches" a bit of skin file it down! Just be careful cuz they are sharp.

I used a dremel with great success as the wear has stopped.

#1865 3 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

No, that means JJP is at fault with how its packed he said R&L is at fault.. so what caused it..did they drop the entire box putting strain on the playfiled latches? Did they unbox it and put additional weight trying to move it into place? The playfield is indeed very heavy but if it was not handled improperly then everyone's game would have this issue or there was some other change like a missing foam block or the latches are different.
If in fact it's getting bent from normal trucking like hitting a pot hole then the foam is not doing it's job and this needs to be addressed in packing.

Let me tell you a little story that, hopefully, will shed some light on the subject. I worked at a bulk mail center for the US Postal Service here in Cincinnati. Parcels would travel around the facility on trays attached to conveyor chains with wheels. At a certain zip code the tray would tip and the parcel would zip down a chute and into a large aluminum container. Those containers were then wheeled on to tractor trailers and off the property. The containers were about six feet tall. The trays at the top of the chute added another six feet of "free flight". THEORETICALLY your parcel could be the first one to drop in the container. The next parcel could weigh 50# and fall this twelve feet and land right on top of your parcel. Do you think your parcel might suffer some damage? Yes. Do you think every parcel might suffer damage? No. The point I'm trying to make is that packaging engineers have to design for the worst case scenario if they want a 100% success rate. JJP did not as evidenced by at least two examples of damage. I don't blame R+L. That's what insurance is for. JJP might be pleased with a 98% success rate. I just hope I'm not in the 2% group.

#1866 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I'm asking support about this, perhaps it was changed between models. Mine is a standard edition made in May.

Your videos by the way are the one of the reasons I have a Hobbit, so thanks (I think )

#1867 3 years ago

My Hobbit as delivered today. Yay!!! I did notice that the box was caved in a little near the bottom on one side. The delivery guy from R&L was very helpful in helping me lay the machine down so I could open the bottom and check for any damage. The caved in part was the empty space below the head, so no damage. The glass was intact and the playfield looked like it was in proper position. Next step is getting it set up.

#1868 3 years ago

Have fun!

#1869 3 years ago

hi guys im about to buy a used hobbit and wanted to ask if anyone ever had any problems with their hobbit pinball ? im kinda scared because all the components are in a cpu and i am scared that if it breaks down ,im just going to have a gorgeous cabinet.....thanks

#1870 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Another plus for the pf protector.
Edit: and the Mylar is all around the "trolls" anyways.

I didn't have a choice on the protector because I bought distributor stock that was ready to ship. I still don't think I would want it because it is bound to capture dirt underneath and start looking bad over the years.

On my game the mylar is only around the bottom and extends 3/4 the way up the sides but isn't protecting the top:

DSC_0663 (resized).JPG

There is quite a bit of clearcoat damage on my game. It's not into the art thankfully.

The milky areas are where the clearcoat has been shaved off by the flaps

I took one of the flaps off so I can make a stencil and cut some mylar, so my game is down until I can get that done.

Quoted from system11:

I'm asking support about this, perhaps it was changed between models. Mine is a standard edition made in May.
Your videos by the way are the one of the reasons I have a Hobbit, so thanks (I think )

My game is definitely an early build. It was built on 3/10/16.

I'm glad the videos helped you make the right choice I really enjoy playing this game. Again, THANK YOU for pointing this out! If I knew I would have installed mylar day one. The damage isn't visible and its under the flaps (I keep telling myself that LOL)

I haven't ordered the update kit yet so I will ask about the mylar as well.

#1871 3 years ago

Make sure the dragon is not rubbing on the ramp. Mine did and I had to adjust the ramp a bit.

image (resized).jpeg

#1872 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I didn't have a choice on the protector because I bought distributor stock that was ready to ship. I still don't think I would want it because it is bound to capture dirt underneath and start looking bad over the years.
On my game the mylar is only around the bottom and extends 3/4 the way up the sides but isn't protecting the top:

There is quite a bit of clearcoat damage on my game. It's not into the art thankfully.

I took one of the flaps off so I can make a stencil and cut some mylar, so my game is down until I can get that done.

I'm glad the videos helped you make the right choice I really enjoy playing this game. Again, THANK YOU for pointing this out! If I knew I would have installed mylar day one. The damage isn't visible and its under the flaps (I keep telling myself that LOL)

Holy smokes! That is crazy. At least it's not visible.

#1873 3 years ago
Quoted from system11:

I have this exact same problem with my SE that we finally unpacked and got inside the house today. The glass is identical width to WOZ but the cabinet is 1/32" wider. I have no cabinet splitting evident or anything like that, the problem is even top and bottom of the glass.
On WOZ the glass is held fairly well with only minor movement side to side available. On Hobbit unless you position the glass perfectly it falls onto the edge of the wood instead on one side. You have to slide in the glass at a diagonal angle and carefully straighten up when it's in, to get it resting correctly.
My guess is the channels for the plastic guide have been cut wrong or the manufacturer of the plastic guides has changed the spec. The edge of the plastic is a clear 2mm away from the edge of the wood on both sides. Not going to be an easy fix to this - some nylon liners about 2mm wide placed on the inside of the glass channels would at least centre it properly and stop this happening.
How the fuck did they leave the factory like this?

There is a fix for this. Mine is same way. make a ticket. They have sent me something a few weeks ago but I have yet to install.

#1874 3 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

Just opened up my SE tonight. Lifted playfield to prep for play. Removed the foam from back of playfield as per instructions.
Now I can't get the playfield to set back into place. See the images. Is this normal? Note in the images how the playfield supports are angled/bent. Is this normal? Did my game get banged around somewhere? I can't get the freaking playfield back down and I want to play this game. HELP !!!!!!

Quoted from RickAHG:

I just received my Hobbit LE today and I have the same problem. The brackets are bent, this is caused by the weight of the play field and the pin being mishandled by the shipping company (R&L Freight) in my case. You need to remove the 3 screws on the bracket and bend it back into shape to be able to play the pin. Pictured is the damage!

The game was dropped. Hard.
The foam block stuck the the far end of the PF was supposed to help in case of a small drop.
But in these cases the games were obviously dropped hard, either from the truck hitting a huge bump or a forklift driver dropping them.
JJp will send you all of the parts that were damaged in shipping.

The chipped PF can only be fixed with some clear painted on or a PF replacement.
This really sucks, I would make a claim with the carrier and JJP.

#1875 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The game was dropped. Hard.
The foam block stuck the the far end of the PF was supposed to help in case of a small drop.
But in these cases the games were obviously dropped hard, either from the truck hitting a huge bump or a forklift driver dropping them.
JJp will send you all of the parts that were damaged in shipping.
The chipped PF can only be fixed with some clear painted on or a PF replacement.
This really sucks, I would make a claim with the carrier and JJP.

problibly off a truck with no lift-gate! I'D WANT A NEW GAME being thats what was paid for not a damaged one.

#1876 3 years ago

Finally broke a mill for the first time! Super sweaty taint afterward!

Previous GC was 800k

Man what an awesome game...

image (resized).jpeg

#1877 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Finally broke a mill for the first time! Super sweaty taint afterward!
Previous GC was 800k
Man what an awesome game...

Congrats!

#1878 3 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Thanks, going to be one of those multi-tickets unfortunately.
So far:
Glass not fitting correctly
Rollover jamming balls (fixed)
Smaug motor overheating & mouth stiff
Frame for LCD screen falling off due to overtightening & bowing of the protective plastic it sticks to.
Some loose drop target stop screws (fixed)

Not sure if this will fix your glass issue but proper anti-rattle tape is pretty awesome stuff. It goes down the edge of the glass so the glass becomes around 2mm wider overall.

I bought a few rolls off a guy on pinside as could not find it anywhere and it is different to the felt types.

Worth a try.

And it eliminated a lot of vibration noises on a few of my games.

#1879 3 years ago

I managed to get it all set up with the help of my wife and four friends. I learned that if you are going to use the $30 handtruck that you bought at Menard's a year ago, you should make sure that the tires are filled before putting 350lbs on it. We managed to get it up onto my porch with the flat tires, but figured that we should fill the tires before trying to make it over the big step into my front door. Of course, one of the tires had the valve stem pushed in at a weird angle so I could not attach it to end of the pump hose. But we had five guys, so we figured that we could just carry it in the rest of the way, since it was going into my office 10 feet from the front door. Damn that thing is heavy. Ended up setting it on a rug and sliding it across the floor to my office. Set up was pretty painless after that, though my back hates me now. Maybe those pinball lifts are actually worth it.

X0fElMHl (resized).jpg

#1880 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Definitely ask about a mylar 'kit'. I got my Hobbit a couple weeks ago and it has the mylar around all the popups.

#1881 3 years ago

Just finalized a deal on a NIB Hobbit LE, very excited to join the club. should be getting it in 2 weeks or so!!

#1882 3 years ago

I played The Hobbit today! The more I play this game the more I love it! I got to Barrel Escape and noticed my score was around 750,000 and it was so much fun my head almost exploded! My ball drained and Gollum squealed Nooooooo and I yelled Thief!!!!!!!

What a rush, new Grand Champion!

Then I played again! Amazing ball 1, so amazing my head almost exploded!!!!!! I had Smaug Multiball twice and got to Into the Fire on ball one. Then ball 2 was amazing and I noticed Barrel Escape was lit again. I looked at my score and I was about to crack 1 Million for the first time ever and my head was about to explode! The ball drained and then Ball 3 wasn't so good and it went down Preciousss and i tried to press the ring and I missed and I yelled THEIF!!!!!! but I broke 1 Million and my head almost exploded!!!!!

IMG_0276 (resized).JPG

#1883 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

I played The Hobbit today! The more I play this game the more I love it! I got to Barrel Escape and noticed my score was around 750,000 and it was so much fun my head almost exploded! My ball drained and Gollum squealed Nooooooo and I yelled Thief!!!!!!!
Then I played again! Amazing ball 1, so amazing my head almost exploded!!!!!! I had Smaug Multiball twice and got to Into the Fire on ball one. Then ball 2 was amazing and I noticed Barrel Escape was lit again. I looked at my score and I was about to crack 1 Million for the first time ever and my head was about to explode! The ball drained and then Ball 3 wasn't so good and it went down Preciousss and i tried to press the ring and I missed and I yelled THEIF again!!!!!! but I broke 1 Million and my head almost exploded!!!!!

LOL - that was so funny it made my head almost explode !!!!!

Congrats on the awesome score.

#1884 3 years ago

Hows everyone going with Arkenstone modes?

I've almost finished both (last stage).
I find it a LOT easier when there are 2~3 balls.
5 balls is good for the first stage of into the fire, but after that, or even to hit the SJ to advance to the next its quite hard.
I think after the initial ball saver has expired there is a ball save down the right outlane which lasts about 5 seconds each time.

Would be nice if that ball save was maybe activated in stage 3 since it doesn't make that much difference atm.

Or....maybe I just need to get better at playing

#1885 3 years ago

What order dates are out there for those of you who recently received your games? I ordered 1/13/13 and was told beginning of July my game was being submitted to production for delivery late August / early September. Just checked and Katie did not give a date but reiterated my order was submitted to production and "shouldn't be too much longer". I deal with delivery dates for my job all the time and hate having to give bad news but what gives here? Did all the distributors go to the front of the line? I could probably cancel, get my money back and buy one from a middleman quicker.

#1886 3 years ago

I hope you guys get your game soon cuz it really is super awesome.

I was in very early but pulled out shortly after.

Was lucky to get a hold of one in August.

#1887 3 years ago

I currently hold an order date of 12-13-2012. I have never been notified that the game has been released to production, is in test, ready for shipping, or time to send the balance due. I have not made a big stink about it because it seems lately more problems are beginning to surface. So the longer I wait the better my chances are of getting a machine that has all the bugs ironed out. It looks like some hefty orders recently shipped out to other distributors and overseas.

#1888 3 years ago

Anyone else ever hit the right ramp only for it to be diverted to the wind lance and drain?

It's happened a couple times but I forget to take note of the mode.

I heard "shoot the right ramp" so I did, and it drained.

#1889 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Anyone else ever hit the right ramp only for it to be diverted to the wind lance and drain?
It's happened a couple times but I forget to take note of the mode.
I heard "shoot the right ramp" so I did, and it drained.

I remember this being an issue with earlier firmwares, but never happened to be on 1.31 for me
I think it might have happened to Steve bowden on the live stream at the JJP factory

I've seen the 'LOAD ARROW' insert lit and the ball draining. Not sure why it was lit - feast frenzy was going and it was Purple.

#1890 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I remember this being an issue with earlier firmwares, but never happened to be on 1.31 for me
I think it might have happened to Steve bowden on the live stream at the JJP factory
I've seen the 'LOAD ARROW' insert lit and the ball draining. Not sure why it was lit - feast frenzy was going and it was Purple.

Makes sense it definitely feels software related. I am on 1.31 also.

#1891 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Then I played again! Amazing ball 1, so amazing my head almost exploded!!!!!! I had Smaug Multiball twice and got to Into the Fire on ball one. Then ball 2 was amazing and I noticed Barrel Escape was lit again. I looked at my score and I was about to crack 1 Million for the first time ever and my head was about to explode! The ball drained and then Ball 3 wasn't so good and it went down Preciousss and i tried to press the ring and I missed and I yelled THEIF!!!!!! but I broke 1 Million and my head almost exploded!!!!!

I can see brain splatter reflecting under your high score!

Love your enthusiasm.

I too just recently broke 1 mill last night...Grats! Felt so good!

Does Gandalfs Into the Fire fallout give you goosebumps as it does me??

#1892 3 years ago
Quoted from BShing:

I could probably cancel, get my money back and buy one from a middleman quicker.

My order date is after yours and I'm seriously considering this. If distributors offer a cheaper deal, I might bite on it.

Quoted from fordtudoor:

it seems lately more problems are beginning to surface. So the longer I wait the better my chances are of getting a machine that has all the bugs ironed out.

That's the counter to the above that is keeping me on this side of the fence. But wouldn't a distributor go to bat for you? I would just make sure that the production date is late July or after. Not sure if we really know when the spring steel on the ramps was standard in production. Sometime in August?

#1893 3 years ago

Any machine built July 22 2016 or later will have all fixes.

I got that info directly from JJP service before I bought mine.

#1894 3 years ago

My THLE was built on August 1st.
Built like a tank and has all the updates.
Only minor tweaks needed out of the box and one more significant fix (but easily fixable).
The flasher wiring harnesses had a bum connector on the flasher LED behind the u-turn gate.
JJP got a new harness in the mail to me within a week. Hope to swap in the new connector this weekend.

Man-o-man...the more I play it, the more I love it.
Can't wait to see what else Keith has in store for us!

#1895 3 years ago

Its been 1 month since 1.31, and 6 weeks since 1.30P
So 1.40 shouldn't be too far off if previous update lengths are anything to go by.

#1896 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

...anti-rattle tape is pretty awesome stuff.

Where can I buy this anti-rattle tape?

#1897 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Any machine built July 22 2016 or later will have all fixes.
I got that info directly from JJP service before I bought mine.

Mine was 7/14/2016 and has all fixed...

#1898 3 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Mine was 7/14/2016 and has all fixed...

Awesome!

#1899 3 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

Where can I buy this anti-rattle tape?

Send a pm to Tekman .

I bought 2 rolls from him.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/el-wire-on-flashers#post-3002253

#1900 3 years ago

For those that have installed the beast fix:
All 4 of my beasts had to be adjusted as they where registering false hits due to a tiny bit of the beasts hitting the edge of the beast fix.
So i moved the switch back a little to allow a tiny bit of vibration.
However now its not registered backstabs at all.
Before I spend some time playing with this - have people got backstabs working with the beast fix THEY installed?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Forever
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 157.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside