Topic Stats

• 7,863 posts
  • 517 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 minutes ago by Stags6969
  • Topic is favorited by 191 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,147 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

96A279BA-D769-4927-A255-614370D13582 (resized).jpeg
D42E605B-56D9-49C5-A6C0-0C8B2251718A (resized).jpeg
Castle (resized).png
IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpg
182073EA-3A86-4714-A07D-DE14034970C6 (resized).jpeg
B7D506CB-DD8C-4B4D-A4C1-A02716D2C79C (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7863 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 158.
#1801 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

recall seeing an extra figure on the barrels in earlier promotional material.
On my Le I only have a single barrel rider figure.
I assume this is normal and hasn't fallen off somewhere?

It's really easy and inexpensive to add a figure to your empty barrel. Just pick up a 3 3/4" Dwarf figure off EBay and take a large sharp butcher knife and severe him at the chest. Dwalin works really well because he has his tool belt that works great for a small screw to hold him in the barrel don't try glueing or epoxy as its not good enough long term to hold the figure in the jumping barrel.

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpg

#1802 3 years ago

Also sometimes you have to add some epoxy to the head to keep it on!

#1803 3 years ago

I'm ready to install my Hobbit Update Kit but before I do I wanted to see what experience others have had with the kit and the install:

1. Have others had success installing the beast inserts without unscrewing the beast assemblies? Or is it so tricky to do it's better to follow the complete JJP instructions with removing the beast flap, springs and mechanism?

2. So far I have had no problems with the springs on the drop targets. I'm thinking I may just defer installing the stronger springs unless I do experience one of the factory one's breaking. Besides, could it be that I already have the stronger springs installed by the factory, my build date is July 17th.

3. The redesigned left wireform was installed at the factory. Seeing as I have the new wireform, is it really necessary to install the update kit post that prevents the ball from being trapped between the original design wireform and the cabinet?

#1804 3 years ago

During boot up I noticed that the Jersey Jack logo is upside down on my mini book display. Is this normal? Everything else displayed is the right way up so it just seems bizarre that they would let the logo be displayed incorrectly.

#1805 3 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

During boot up I noticed that the Jersey Jack logo is upside down on my mini book display. Is this normal? Everything else displayed is the right way up so it just seems bizarre that they would let the logo be displayed incorrectly.

That's normal. They all do that.

#1806 3 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

1. Have others had success installing the beast inserts without unscrewing the beast assemblies? Or is it so tricky to do it's better to follow the complete JJP instructions with removing the beast flap, springs and mechanism?

Yes, I installed all 4 without taking anything out. It was really easy with a power drill with driver extension.

#1807 3 years ago

Question on daily high scores.

Are they on a daily 24 hour rolling bases? or do they reset at at midnight?

Is there anyway to temporarily make the daily high score list 10 players instead of 3?

#1808 3 years ago

news for future update ?

#1809 3 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

news for future update ?

The JJP open house is on Saturday, September 17th. I bet we will see a new update closer to that date or shortly thereafter.

#1810 3 years ago

Backglass lift channel all sorted. Replaced it with a williams one and it fit perfectly.

#1811 3 years ago

Does it feel like the Smaug ball lock releas just a little early for you guys?

To me it feels like it should be held there a moment longer.

Such a minor thing though...

#1812 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Does it feel like the Smaug ball lock releas just a little early for you guys?
To me it feels like it should be held there a moment longer.
Such a minor thing though...

Do you mean the magnet? Sometimes mine misses the ball altogether.

Was anything ever mentioned about a hobbit topper? There are all the holes and mount points for one.

#1813 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Do you mean the magnet? Sometimes mine misses the ball altogether.
Was anything ever mentioned about a hobbit topper? There are all the holes and mount points for one.

Yes the magnet.

Are you using 1.31?

I feel like my magnet hasn't missed the catch since I updated but could be wrong...

I think Smaug should hold the ball till he's done talking

#1814 3 years ago

Made it to Barrel Escape on the 2nd day since I got the Hobbit and realized that it is missing the great "Super Jackpot is ready!" call out from Into the fire. Am I right? I really love the structure from Into the fire: it's divided into several stages. Once you finish one stage it lights one super jackpot and Gandalf says SJ is ready. So why don't they use the same callout for Barrel Escape? But maybe I am wrong and I missed it...

Edit: Just played it again. The callout is there. Just ignore this post Sorry.

#1815 3 years ago

Spoiler: I tried to kill Smaug. So I guess you have to load the kickback, which is supposed to fire the ball to the upper flipper and you have one shot to hit the lit target on the left. But... The kickback shot isn't very accurate. Most times it hits the post on the right of Radagast. So how am I supposed to make that shot? Played around with the kickback coil settings. But wasn't able to get it right. The coil was set to 7. Any ideas?

#1816 3 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

Spoiler: I tried to kill Smaug. So I guess you have to load the kickback, which is supposed to fire the ball to the upper flipper and you have one shot to hit the lit target on the left. But... The kickback shot isn't very accurate. Most times it hits the post on the right of Radagast. So how am I supposed to make that shot? Played around with the kickback coil settings. But wasn't able to get it right. The coil was set to 7. Any ideas?

I had to adjust/bend the left side of the wall where the ball exits the windlance lane a tiny bit to get it more consistant.
Also adjust setting to easy in the menus.

#1817 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I had to adjust/bend the left side of the wall where the ball exits the windlance lane a tiny bit to get it more consistant.
Also adjust setting to easy in the menus.

Which setting? Thanks.

#1818 3 years ago

How do you get the beasts to pop up and down in test mode?

They work fine in game but I can't get them to move in test...

#1819 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

How do you get the beasts to pop up and down in test mode?
They work fine in game but I can't get them to move in test...

Make sure you have the white high power switch to the left of the coin door pulled out when the coin door is open.

#1820 3 years ago

Found this on the sub magnet.

Any ideas where it would have come from?seems quite unique

image (resized).jpeg

#1822 3 years ago
Quoted from Drew13:

Its a coin mech screw/bolt

ahh!

The little metal up down guide in the mech. I have two of these screws but there is only one hole that has a cut thread.

Know of anywhere else these thumb screws are used?

edit: never mind found it! There are two of the up down guides

screws (resized).png

#1823 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

ahh!
The little metal up down guide in the mech. I have two of these screws but there is only one hole that has a cut thread.

Check the pop ups and drops. I'm thinking pop ups though

#1824 3 years ago

Anyone else having this issue? The ball comes down the right wire form and as it drops through onto the play field it gets just enough spin on the ball to spiral up out of the inlane into the outlane? Happens maybe 1 out of 10 times......Any thoughts?

#1825 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Anyone else having this issue? The ball comes down the right wire form and as it drops through onto the play field it gets just enough spin on the ball to spiral up out of the inlane into the outlane? Happens maybe 1 out of 10 times......Any thoughts?

Yes this happens to me also. I've thought about waxing the mylar under the ramp but haven't actually tried it yet.

#1826 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Yep, it happens because of the turns in the wireform. I had to bend the end of the wireform up a bit to basically spin the ball up/down vs left right. Just use gentle pressure when bending!

#1827 3 years ago

A fellow in another thread solved his ball spin prob.

Mine does it to sometimes but haven't tried his method yet

Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think I have solved the ball spin-out problem when it drops down thru the wireform loops. It actually happens on both the left and (mostly) the right. I have still had this happen even though I put a rubber on the wire guide.
I was watching the ball carefully (no beer in me at all) while it dropped out of the loop.
The ball doesnt always spin out of the lane, defying gravity all the way into the golum lane and drain, every time. Only once in awhile and at the worst possible time. A fast running ball can have a huge spin on it.
If everything goes well, on a regular shot, the ball rolls down the wireform and rolls down the loop, bounces a little and then goes down the lane.
However if the ball rapidly circumscribes the ring before dropping, this puts a spin/rotation on the ball that makes it roll up and out of the lane.
My wireform "double" loops were not parallell to the PF. In fact they were hanging a bit low in the downhill side by about 3 degrees.
This angle made it easier for the ball to spin out of the lane as it was more in line the the balls rotation.
In order to counter the spin on the ball one must convert it to a lateral spin instead of an uphill spin, you have to bend the loop up a bit.
The goal is to have the "double" loop bent upward on the downhill side in relation to the PF angle.
The problem was how to do it easily without applying too much pressure on the form and ripping out any mounting screws, as you have to bend it at least 1/4"to 5/16" especially if the bend was negative (like mine) when you started.
I ended up hooking a 3/8 (or bigger) nut driver inside the lower "double" loop with the handle over the wireform side, pressing carefully until the nut driver handle was basically resting in upper part of the wireform itself. The bending of the double loop didnt break the welds or harm it as far as I can see, as I was being careful.
I actually did this on both the left and the right sides.
The upper single loop can also be bent up so that it matches cosmetically but its not really neccessary. (I just wedged a big screwdriver in and bent it up a bit so it looked level).
Kpg has mentioned in this thread that you can put a rubber on the wireguide in the lane. This actually works as it will brake the spin of the ball when it hits it, but for me it blocks the lane a bit, and its hard to get a tiny rubber that fits properly.
If the loop is bent up enough the problem is solved forever, as the ball spin will be lateral now instead of uphill.
I hope this helps anyone else with this problem. As always your milage may vary, its pinball.

#1828 3 years ago

So around every other game I play on my THLE, I have a ball stick to the switch wire in the left inlane. Is it possible one of my balls has become magnetized?
Weird that it only sticks to this metal section of the game and not elsewhere.

#1829 3 years ago
Quoted from koops:

ahh!
edit: never mind found it! There are two of the up down guides

Could that be the screw for the computer case?

#1830 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

So around every other game I play on my THLE, I have a ball stick to the switch wire in the left inlane. Is it possible one of my balls has become magnetized?
Weird that it only sticks to this metal section of the game and not elsewhere.

It is possible. Is it just one ball that does it or is it multiple balls in that spot? I had a magnetised ball problem on my metallica. They were the PBL balls and supposed to be OK with magnets but one got magnetised somehow. Look closely and make sure it is not catching on the switch somehow and that it is not getting hung up on part of the switch.

#1831 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

I moved the wire form over to the right a couple of Mil so it doesn't grip the rubber as much. Made it 1/50 instead of 1/10. Still annoying

#1832 3 years ago

I'm really enjoying the hobbit but the multi balls seem a little to easy to start and to frequent, it would be nice to focus on the the missions without a multiball always starting. Stacking the multi balls is insanity all I do is watch the flippers and try to keep everything going, one multiball takes away from the others. What does everyone else think?

#1833 3 years ago

I play The Hobbit so much my head could explode!!!! Love it!!!!

#1834 3 years ago

Just opened up my SE tonight. Lifted playfield to prep for play. Removed the foam from back of playfield as per instructions.
Now I can't get the playfield to set back into place. See the images. Is this normal? Note in the images how the playfield supports are angled/bent. Is this normal? Did my game get banged around somewhere? I can't get the freaking playfield back down and I want to play this game. HELP !!!!!!

IMG_2578 (resized).JPG

IMG_2579 (resized).JPG

IMG_2580 (resized).JPG

IMG_2581 (resized).JPG

IMG_2582 (resized).JPG

#1835 3 years ago

Looks like the sheet metal got bent somehow? I don't think that's normal...

#1836 3 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

Is this normal?

No. Open a ticket to get new ones.

Quoted from bkaelin:

I can't get the freaking playfield back down and I want to play this game. HELP !!!!!!

Remove the bracket, bend it straight, replace the bracket.

LTG : )

#1837 3 years ago
Quoted from tron1969:

I'm really enjoying the hobbit but the multi balls seem a little to easy to start and to frequent, it would be nice to focus on the the missions without a multiball always starting. Stacking the multi balls is insanity all I do is watch the flippers and try to keep everything going, one multiball takes away from the others. What does everyone else think?

Have you tried adjusting the LOCK settings to something harder? I don't have hobbit but this could cut down on the extraneous multiball action.

#1838 3 years ago

Dont forget to postpone the lock with a charged ring if you'd like!

#1839 3 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

Just opened up my SE tonight. Lifted playfield to prep for play. Removed the foam from back of playfield as per instructions.
Now I can't get the playfield to set back into place. See the images. Is this normal? Note in the images how the playfield supports are angled/bent. Is this normal? Did my game get banged around somewhere? I can't get the freaking playfield back down and I want to play this game. HELP !!!!!!

I just received my Hobbit LE today and I have the same problem. The brackets are bent, this is caused by the weight of the play field and the pin being mishandled by the shipping company (R&L Freight) in my case. You need to remove the 3 screws on the bracket and bend it back into shape to be able to play the pin. Pictured is the damage!

IMG_2883 (resized).JPG

IMG_2874 (resized).JPG

IMG_2886 (resized).JPG

IMG_2889 (resized).JPG

IMG_2887 (resized).JPG

IMG_2890 (resized).JPG

IMG_2891 (resized).JPG

IMG_2892 (resized).JPG

#1840 3 years ago

WOW! :

#1841 3 years ago

Hi there fellow Hobbitists. Just popping in to say my Smaug is on the truck from my distro. I have nothing more to add. I am pretty psyched. Sorry for boring post, but have been itching to post something Hobbit related since I ordered 2 years ago.

#1842 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Hi there fellow Hobbitists. Just popping in to say my Smaug is on the truck from my distro. I have nothing more to add. I am pretty psyched. Sorry for boring post, but have been itching to post something Hobbit related since I ordered 2 years ago.

Well worth it. Enjoy

#1843 3 years ago

Mine arrived in France like this ......just normal

image (resized).jpg

#1844 3 years ago
Quoted from RickAHG:

The brackets are bent, this is caused by the weight of the play field and the pin being mishandled

How could that happen? Did they take it out of of the box and try to set it up?

#1845 3 years ago

I have this exact same problem with my SE that we finally unpacked and got inside the house today. The glass is identical width to WOZ but the cabinet is 1/32" wider. I have no cabinet splitting evident or anything like that, the problem is even top and bottom of the glass.

On WOZ the glass is held fairly well with only minor movement side to side available. On Hobbit unless you position the glass perfectly it falls onto the edge of the wood instead on one side. You have to slide in the glass at a diagonal angle and carefully straighten up when it's in, to get it resting correctly.

My guess is the channels for the plastic guide have been cut wrong or the manufacturer of the plastic guides has changed the spec. The edge of the plastic is a clear 2mm away from the edge of the wood on both sides. Not going to be an easy fix to this - some nylon liners about 2mm wide placed on the inside of the glass channels would at least centre it properly and stop this happening.

How the fuck did they leave the factory like this?

#1846 3 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

How could that happen? Did they take it out of of the box and try to set it up?

I understand clearly what he is saying. The pin is packed into the crate standing vertically with the back of the lower cabinet at the bottom. This makes the playfield standing vertically and literally hanging by the two (2) hooked brackets. If there is nothing at the "bottom" of the playfield in this position supporting it, the brackets take the full weight of a very heavy playfield. Being mild steel they will bend. Clearly a case of a tractor trailer that drove through the median or got caught up in Hurricane Hermine.

#1847 3 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

Yes I know - what I'm asking is if they are adequate to eliminate the need for third party leg protectors. This is my first pin with these external metal brackets.

They work fine but you need to do two things:

1) The legs will all have a sharp burr on them, near the top of each leg half way between the bolt holes you'll see where the angle of the leg changes. Check both inner surfaces and you'll probably find a sharp little point, file it away - takes seconds.

2) Make sure the leg is positioned correctly when bolting it down - check the clearance while doing so at these points you've filed. If it's lined up perfectly you should be able to just get a fingernail underneath on both sides where that filed point was.

I've had to file those bits on WOZ and Hobbit so far. If you don't do the above the little points can dig in and damage the decal. Happened to me on WOZ but luckily I noticed as it happened and you can't see any damage now.

#1848 3 years ago

Does anyone have a video of their Smaug talking while parked and in test mode? Mine doesn't seem to move very well, it's like hes mumbling. Does anyone else have that problem or is it normal?

Update:
Two things with Smaug head.

1) Mouth seems really stiff to operate and I suspect why he mumbles - ideas?
2) Stepper motor is constantly applying hold voltage! This means the motor becomes burning hot, is that normal? Easy to check - if you turn his head by hand with the game switched on, does it freely and easily move or does it feel like it's stepping between positions? I could hear my motor chattering a lot and it had started to heat the playfield up... Whole bracket assembly burning to the touch.

Extra check required from someone:
When your head is parked and you go into test mode, is the Smaug left limit switch active? Mine activates when doing left/right testing in test mode, but if the game is just left there and the head is parked, the switch is inactive which seems wrong.

#1849 3 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

The pin is packed into the crate standing vertically with the back of the lower cabinet at the bottom. This makes the playfield standing vertically and literally hanging by the two (2) hooked brackets. If there is nothing at the "bottom" of the playfield in this position supporting it, the brackets take the full weight of a very heavy playfield.

It may be worth noting that there is rectangular chunk of foam installed on the bottom/back end of the playfield prior to shipping that should support some of the weight of the PF when in this position.

#1850 3 years ago

Haven't played a game yet, but turned it on and Smaug started moving around, like it was in test mode. As it moved, it looked like it was shuttering, or having trouble moving a little. Anyone notice this? Is this a problem? Should the movement be smooth?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 7863 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 158.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside