Topic Stats

• 7,828 posts
  • 515 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Wildbill327
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,144 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpg
182073EA-3A86-4714-A07D-DE14034970C6 (resized).jpeg
B7D506CB-DD8C-4B4D-A4C1-A02716D2C79C (resized).jpeg
FC83295A-EEBB-44D9-8B79-4FE11917D16A (resized).jpeg
20190903_191923 (resized).jpg
20191011_105330 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 157.
#1651 3 years ago
Quoted from Buschjs:

I got a quick response to my ticket on the lockdown bar issue, thanks JJP. I'll post it here for others to easily access:
"There is some play on the lockdown bar if you first remove the ring switch you will see three nuts left,right and center. please remove shipping wood screws first. them if you loosen all the nuts you can raise that lockdown mech up until you see the tabs flush with the playfield."
I'm going to give this a shot tonight and I'll report back with the result.

This worked perfectly, there is quite a bit of adjustability in the position of the lockdown bar receiver mech.

#1652 3 years ago

I got a new LE last week and it had all of the current mods installed. The spider mech fits with no problem but the Warg's head was turned slightly to the left and was dragging on the insert. This was causing hits to register as soon as he popped up. After filing the insert for a while (they are REALLY tough!) I wasn't making much progress so I pulled the mech and gently twisted the whole head assy until it was straight. Now it stays up - most of the time. During "Beast Frenzy" and other modes which activate him he's pretty stable, but when he's activated by rolling through the left inlane he still pops-and-drops. Anyone have any ideas? Could this be a code issue? Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

#1653 3 years ago

Check to see if the two guide plates inside the mech are aligned. I found in my game that if they are slightly misaligned the beast will intermittently bind when popping up. It's a little tricky to bend the guide plate just a bit but you can do it without removing the mech. There is a side plate on the mech. Just remove the screws and remove it so you can tweak the guide plate. Just be sure that the beast isn't rubbing on the PF or the insert. It's best to block the beast in the up position when doing this.

#1654 3 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I got a new LE last week and it had all of the current mods installed. The spider mech fits with no problem but the Warg's head was turned slightly to the left and was dragging on the insert. This was causing hits to register as soon as he popped up. After filing the insert for a while (they are REALLY tough!) I wasn't making much progress so I pulled the mech and gently twisted the whole head assy until it was straight. Now it stays up - most of the time. During "Beast Frenzy" and other modes which activate him he's pretty stable, but when he's activated by rolling through the left inlane he still pops-and-drops. Anyone have any ideas? Could this be a code issue? Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

In the test menu when you test the Warg you will notice that his head wobbles/buzzes? more than any of the other characters.
You just have to open the leaf switch a lot to compensate for the springiness of the head.
I had to use a leaf switch adjustment tool to get it right. Fiddling with needle-nose and flat blade screwdrivers was very hard to get it right.
The spider is the same way its kinda heavy and springs/wobbles a lot also.
This is why you see the mech kinda float up and down a little like its getting comfortable when its activated.
I think the code gives a little delay to compensate for the wobbleing so that it doesnt drop down immediately registering a false hit.

#1655 3 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll try these when I get home.

#1656 3 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Check to see if the two guide plates inside the mech are aligned. I found in my game that if they are slightly misaligned the beast will intermittently bind when popping up. It's a little tricky to bend the guide plate just a bit but you can do it without removing the mech. There is a side plate on the mech. Just remove the screws and remove it so you can tweak the guide plate. Just be sure that the beast isn't rubbing on the PF or the insert. It's best to block the beast in the up position when doing this.

I just had to do this with my spider.
It was binding noticeably when I manually actuated it.
In my case, while the mech was propped up, I had to bend it slightly towards the back of the PF.
Its perfect now.

I also opened up all the leaf switches a bit. This makes them raise up crisp and firm and no odd floating/positioning behavior.

#1657 3 years ago

My warg has to be hit dead on to register. Is this normal for others? I'm debating on moving switch in some, but it originally was too close and registered without a hit. It works now, but seems like it should be more sensitive. Just curious

#1658 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

but seems like it should be more sensitive.

Easy to adjust. The leaf blade farthest from the character face, move it a little closer to the one next to the character face.

LTG : )

#1659 3 years ago

The beasts should register a hit when hit them from the front or the rear (back stab). If your beasts are adjusted properly you should be able to back stab each one and get a hit. I can even score a hit sometimes from the side.

#1660 3 years ago

I pick mine up tomorrow!!!!!!!

#1661 3 years ago

My actualy Highscores , ToT is my son
And a little modding

IMG_20160817_113621_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160817_113613_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160820_181914_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160820_181856_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160815_185801_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160813_171125_(resized).jpg

#1662 3 years ago

Shooter rod for LOTR fits perfectly.

image_(resized).jpeg

#1663 3 years ago

Received my precious today! Wow, thats a maze of wire underneath the playfield eh?

IMG_0152_(resized).JPG

#1664 3 years ago

How much slope are people setting their game at? I set mine to 6.5 and is seems pretty decent.....Should it be more?

#1665 3 years ago

Only if you think it's too floaty. I set mine at 7 just to get a bit more speed and keep the ball out of the outlanes

#1666 3 years ago

How exactly does the back stab work? I see the ring light up for back stab, but I hit it and nothing. Does the ball also have to hit beast in back?

#1667 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Does the ball also have to hit beast in back?

This.

#1668 3 years ago

Anyone else having issues with staticy noise in their audio? I have my volume set at 25 (not very loud), but I hear a lot of static in the audio. Thoughts?

#1669 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Anyone else having issues with staticy noise in their audio? I have my volume set at 25 (not very loud), but I hear a lot of static in the audio. Thoughts?

You could have a defective audio cable. That was the solution for one owner. Reach out to JJP support.

#1670 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

I hear a lot of audio interference during the boot up sequence. After that I don't normally hear any sound issues, so likely a problem with your game. Try swapping out audio cables and/or re-seating them.

#1671 3 years ago
Quoted from Buschjs:

This worked perfectly, there is quite a bit of adjustability in the position of the lockdown bar receiver mech.

Thanks for the info! I am still having problems with my lockdown bar. I will try this today, and see if it works for me. Cheers!

#1672 3 years ago

I'll re-seat the audio cables and see if that helps. New issue, My time is off my 12 hours. When I go into the menu and set the correct time there isn't a way to save it, just escape back to the previous menu and the time doesn't change. So, how do I save the correct time?

#1673 3 years ago

Doh! Just realized I am running v1.21.....Updating to 1.31 now

#1674 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Doh! Just realized I am running v1.21.....Updating to 1.31 now

Start button saves.

#1675 3 years ago

ok, Updated to 1.31, opened a ticket on the static audio issue since re-seating the cables didn't do anything. Got the time set now that I know start saves Thanks! New issue, I was playing Into The Fire and all of a sudden the TV screen when black. Ended up shutting the game off and back on and the TV is ok now....Software bug?

#1676 3 years ago

Anyone else have trouble with the Ball trough VUK? At first I thought it was a power setting issue, but upon closer inspection it seems like the notch cut in the apron where the ball comes through isn't in the right place and the ball partially hits the apron and bounces back down in the ball trough......

#1677 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Anyone else have trouble with the Ball trough VUK?

If trying different power settings doesn't do it, check this out :

http://www.pinplay.com/5/adjusting_the_ball_trough_on_woz.html

#1678 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If trying different power settings doesn't do it, check this out :
http://www.pinplay.com/5/adjusting_the_ball_trough_on_woz.html

Thanks for the link, I just spent some time following those instructions and trying to adjust that bent piece of metal. It was of no luck, if I bent it further out it would just hit the apron worse, bend in and it would fling the ball back down into the trough before hitting the apron or the shooter lane. I bent the metal piece back to where it was originally and then used 2 washers on each side to shim the apron out slightly. Now it works! Got 50/50 out of the trough VUK on first try With power back down to default of setting 8 even. I think they didn't leave enough room for margin on that notch in the apron.

#1679 3 years ago

Nice to hear it was a relatively easy fix. Now you can go back to enjoying your machine

#1680 3 years ago

Ya its a lot of fun to play! I do take that back on Power 8 for the VUK, it's not enough. Bumped it to 16 and now it's pretty much perfect, with my washer shim job in place.

New issue, now every time the Orc pops up it immediately goes back down thinking it was hit. I'll lift up the play field and look for any of the obvious stuff, but being new to JJP machines is there anything specific I should look for on this issue?

#1681 3 years ago

Man I love this game. Just had my best score to date, 5.5 Million, and after the first ball I finished Into the Fire twice! By the end of the game I had killed smaug and got to Barrel Escape (but did not finish that mode) Such a fun game!

#1682 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Ya its a lot of fun to play! I do take that back on Power 8 for the VUK, it's not enough. Bumped it to 16 and now it's pretty much perfect, with my washer shim job in place.
New issue, now every time the Orc pops up it immediately goes back down thinking it was hit. I'll lift up the play field and look for any of the obvious stuff, but being new to JJP machines is there anything specific I should look for on this issue?

Looks like it was the switch behind the Orc's head, needed to be bent a little so it wasn't always making contact. Whew, ok time to play it some more!

#1683 3 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Man I love this game. Just had my best score to date, 5.5 Million, and after the first ball I finished Into the Fire twice! By the end of the game I had killed smaug and got to Barrel Escape (but did not finish that mode) Such a fun game!

Wow - congrats. My scores are still nowhere near that. That said, I can say that I am thoroughly enjoying and loving this game and looking forward to making better progress in future games. Definitely my favourite pin out of those I have.

#1684 3 years ago

All my best games are when my 8 year old son calls out what I should hit. He knows the game's rules as good or better than me, and it really helps. I rarely ever take my eyes off the flippers

#1685 3 years ago

We're having a blast with ours too now that it's all dialed in and working well! Even the audio static has mysteriously disappeared for now. This game is fun!

#1686 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

We're having a blast with ours too now that it's all dialed in and working well! Even the audio static has mysteriously disappeared for now. This game is fun!

I noticed they cleaned a lot of the audio clipping issues with the latest code.

#1687 3 years ago

Just got the call that mine is ready to ship. Hope to have it delivered sometime next week. Woot!

#1688 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

Just got the call that mine is ready to ship. Hope to have it delivered sometime next week. Woot!

Enjoy! Really enjoying mine so far!

#1689 3 years ago

Can the rollovers be adjusted to be more sensitive? If so how? I can't see an easy way to adjust them

#1690 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Can the rollovers be adjusted to be more sensitive? If so how? I can't see an easy way to adjust them

They have leaf switches in them, bend the leaf up a bit until you are satisfied.
I adjusted all of mine when I increased the PF pitch past 6.5 degrees. The ball was travelling too fast for the switches to register.

#1691 3 years ago

As far as I'm concerned The Hobbit rules could use one tweak: it would be nice to have the Smaug multiball disable the Beast Frenzy mode. Or have the Beast Frenzy mode much more difficult to start after the first time you play it so we could run it once before Smaug to get it out of the way before starting Smaug. Or give us the ability to end Beast by achieving a set of goals. I find it extremely frustrating that almost every Time that I start a Smaug multi I end up triggering a Beast Frenzy. It makes the Smaug so frustrating that I almost want to stop playing. Smaug is challenging by itself, but if you get a Beast running, it will not stop unless you drain all but one ball - which in turn stops Smaug. If this happened once every 4 or 5 times you played Smaug it would be a fun challenge. But it almost always smothers Smaug. Come on. At least let us end Beast during Smaug so we can then complete Smaug without this disappointment in the middle of a great Smaug run. Am I wrong?

#1692 3 years ago

Keith already posted about considering this. Possibly though ring button

#1693 3 years ago

Got my hobbit finally. Yay.

Came in really good condition. Hardly anything needing attention. Was surprised that the caution writing on back box was NOT a sticker. Was like woz, printed on the wood.

Ok. So I need help dialling it in.

The winlance kickback. In test mode I put a rubber and staged the ball manually. about 1 in 5 times it hit the black rubber instead of the orbit. It's this acceptable? Anyone got it working 100 percent of the time?

The ball spin off the ramps left and right is causing the ball to spin to the right on exit. On the left ramp the ball will jump over the sling shot rubber ans got to left flipper. The right ramp will go straight down the right outlane! Little annoying to get the cheap drain. How do you fix and eliminate the spin?

#1694 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Got my hobbit finally. Yay.
Came in really good condition. Hardly anything needing attention. Was surprised that the caution writing on back box was NOT a sticker. Was like woz, printed on the wood.
Ok. So I need help dialling it in.
The winlance kickback. In test mode I put a rubber and staged the ball manually. about 1 in 5 times it hit the black rubber instead of the orbit. It's this acceptable? Anyone got it working 100 percent of the time?
The ball spin off the ramps left and right is causing the ball to spin to the right on exit. On the left ramp the ball will jump over the sling shot rubber ans got to left flipper. The right ramp will go straight down the right outlane! Little annoying to get the cheap drain. How do you fix and eliminate the spin?

I dont think the windlance is supposed to be perfect every time. Its a crude weapon and prone to misses (see the movie).
In game-play the effect is slightly randomised to make it more difficult?

Set windlance to easy in the adjustments it makes it less random, also maybe adjust power level to suit your needs. Test it "in game", its not the same as a stand alone test. I have had to bend the left side wall/guide at the very end of the lane slightly (wedge a small screwdriver between the wall and the last screw head or press on it) to make it way more consistent. Very small adjustments make big changes along with power manipulation.

See the tweaks thread about ball spin-out in the inlanes and outlanes.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments

Basically bend the double loop up (stick a big nut driver in the loop and bend it back a bit), at the end of the wire-form until the ball spins laterally instead of uphill.

I also have a printed backbox on my SE (no sticker).
Are the Smaug games different than the LE games in this respect?
Is the factory back-tracking on the backbox sticker concept and going back to ink?
I cant possibly believe that a sticker is cheaper or better than ink, unless your thinking restoration down the road?
I hate stickers they always lose their grip and fall of sooner or later...

#1695 3 years ago

Received my Hobbit and the inserts and bottom "GI" lighting is out. Can you point me in the right direction as to what connectors to check?

#1696 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I dont think the windlance is supposed to be perfect every time. Its a crude weapon and prone to misses (see the movie).
In game-play the effect is slightly randomised to make it more difficult?
Set windlance to easy in the adjustments it makes it less random, also maybe adjust power level to suit your needs. Test it "in game", its not the same as a stand alone test. I have had to bend the left side wall/guide at the very end of the lane slightly (wedge a small screwdriver between the wall and the last screw head or press on it) to make it way more consistent. Very small adjustments make big changes along with power manipulation.
See the tweaks thread about ball spin-out in the inlanes and outlanes.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments
Basically bend the double loop up (stick a big nut driver in the loop and bend it back a bit), at the end of the wire-form until the ball spins laterally instead of uphill.
I also have a printed backbox on my SE (no sticker).
Are the Smaug games different than the LE games in this respect?

My Smaug is a sticker :-/ Doesn't stay stuck down around the edges....Yeah it's on the back so who cares I guess......But printed sure does look better anyways.

#1697 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Received my Hobbit and the inserts and bottom "GI" lighting is out. Can you point me in the right direction as to what connectors to check?

Follow the wiring from them to a nearby board they plug onto. Something probably came unplugged.

You can download the manual - http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/game-specific-downloads/the-hobbit-downloads/ and it has LED wiring layouts in it. Page C-72

#1698 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

My Smaug is a sticker :-/ Doesn't stay stuck down around the edges....Yeah it's on the back so who cares I guess......But printed sure does look better anyways.

call JJP and have them send you another sticker ( it should stick firmly if it has the right adhesive...), you might need it in the future....

#1699 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Follow the wiring from them to a nearby board they plug onto. Something probably came unplugged.
You can download the manual - http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/game-specific-downloads/the-hobbit-downloads/ and it has LED wiring layouts in it. Page C-72

Lloyd, as always appreciate the posts! Found the issue to be a, what looks like, mini USB plug that goes into the one board. It has a zip tie on it, I assume so it doesnt pull out, but it came out just far enough that it wasnt making contact!

#1700 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Lloyd, as always appreciate the posts! Found the issue to be a, what looks like, mini USB plug that goes into the one board. It has a zip tie on it, I assume so it doesnt pull out, but it came out just far enough that it wasnt making contact!

I had the exact same issue, as have several others. Very common issue. Funny that JJP seemed to know that this could be an issue so they put the zip tie there to prevent it, but it still happens from shipping I guess. Since I tightened it, it has not come loose again despite having my pf raised several times.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Forever
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Portage, IN
There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 157.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside