Topic Stats

• 7,851 posts
  • 517 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 minutes ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 190 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,147 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

96A279BA-D769-4927-A255-614370D13582 (resized).jpeg
D42E605B-56D9-49C5-A6C0-0C8B2251718A (resized).jpeg
Castle (resized).png
IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpg
182073EA-3A86-4714-A07D-DE14034970C6 (resized).jpeg
B7D506CB-DD8C-4B4D-A4C1-A02716D2C79C (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7851 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 158.
#1601 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Two brass screws on the lockdown bar receiver and be used to raise or lower the locking mechanism as needed.
LTG : )

I had the same issue and the screws did not help. Finally figured out works fine if you apply pressure just to the left of the ring button (push down) on the lockdown bar while you close the lever and it will snugly close every time.

#1602 3 years ago

I haven't really followed The Hobbit development because I always thought of it as out of my range. I recently picked up a NIB Ghostbusters Pro and my wife really hates it. I thought the theme would be perfect for the kids but even with the center post addon, its just too brutal for the kids and the wife. I sold my STTNG that they didn't play in hopes of the theme/game they would play. They all play Metallica daily.

Since my Ghostbusters so far has shown no insert ghosting that many are experiencing I figured it was time to move it out and get something else that they might like better. That brings me to the hobbit. The theme is perfect for them. So without reading the whole thread and the numerous others during development can someone school me on the basics of the hobbit.

The rules sound pretty deep with 33(?) modes. I have also heard it has longer ball times? I think that is part of the problem with GB for my wife. 30-40 second ball times and laddered progression for her is a bit of a buzz kill. Like most people she wants to feel she is progressing in her game and not just draining before she accomplishes anything. She played WoZ for the first time 2 weeks ago and really liked it.

So sell me on why The Hobbit would be a good choice for a small 2 game collection, paired with Metallica. I have also watched some videos but if anyone has links to some good HD videos with nice sound, it would be appreciated. I send an email to a local distributor tonight for pricing, I hope to be joining the club soon.

#1603 3 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

I haven't really followed The Hobbit development because I always thought of it as out of my range. I recently picked up a NIB Ghostbusters Pro and my wife really hates it. I thought the theme would be perfect for the kids but even with the center post addon, its just too brutal for the kids and the wife. I sold my STTNG that they didn't play in hopes of the theme/game they would play. They all play Metallica daily.
Since my Ghostbusters so far has shown no insert ghosting that many are experiencing I figured it was time to move it out and get something else that they might like better. That brings me to the hobbit. The theme is perfect for them. So without reading the whole thread and the numerous others during development can someone school me on the basics of the hobbit.
The rules sound pretty deep with 33(?) modes. I have also heard it has longer ball times? I think that is part of the problem with GB for my wife. 30-40 second ball times and laddered progression for her is a bit of a buzz kill. Like most people she wants to feel she is progressing in her game and not just draining before she accomplishes anything. She played WoZ for the first time 2 weeks ago and really liked it.
So sell me on why The Hobbit would be a good choice for a small 2 game collection, paired with Metallica. I have also watched some videos but if anyone has links to some good HD videos with nice sound, it would be appreciated. I send an email to a local distributor tonight for pricing, I hope to be joining the club soon.

Why not get a WOZ and pick up a Hobbit in a year when code is done? WOZ code is final and amazing.

#1604 3 years ago

Question about the "Load Arrow" light in the left outlane: what does it do? Whenever it's lit the ball drains right past it and I see no registration of anything. The Windlance post works and the Windlance fires correctly- and even saves if the ball goes right back into that outlane. Does the "Load Arrow" set up a Windlance shot on the next ball? Please enlighten me!

#1605 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Either way, I doubt JJP sells more Hobbits than WOZs. In fact, I still plan on getting a WOZ next year. WOZ is an instant classic to me.

If you want a NIB, you may want to shoot for Thanksgiving at the latest. My guess at that is because currently it is on a "mini" assembly line at JJP. Supposedly ... JJP will be starting up game #3 before the end of the year (some say). If JJP only has the capacity for a major production line and a "mini" production line, WOZ production might be done soon. I personally think Hobbit will be on the main major production line past the new year, but ... just thought I would point out something to think about.

#1606 3 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

I really think you won't go wrong with Hobbit. If it's a great theme for you and progressing through modes will suit your family well, this is it. I like long ball times and intricate rules. If they play pinball reasonably well, they will enjoy this. Callouts are great. Shots are satisfying but sometimes blocked by pop ups, etc. well worth it. And if you call automated services in Connecticut you can have it there in a few days. They are great to work with. Get Smaug. It's worth a little extra.

#1607 3 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Question about the "Load Arrow" light in the left outlane: what does it do? Whenever it's lit the ball drains right past it and I see no registration of anything. The Windlance post works and the Windlance fires correctly- and even saves if the ball goes right back into that outlane. Does the "Load Arrow" set up a Windlance shot on the next ball? Please enlighten me!

Load arrow gives you a shot at the MAN targets when starting a mode with the moving power bar.

#1608 3 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

The game is one of the best looking games ever made, the rules are deep and continue to progress, 31 different modes make all games somewhat different, the sound and video integration is quite possibly the best in pinball, easy to learn the basics yet hard to master. I think it is a solid game to pair with Metallica (great game BTW) which is faster paced and all about building up to Crank It Up. The hobbit is a touch slower and is more of a shooters game, it definitely takes you into the Middle Earth feel and is a journey to get to the end goals of the game. Overall, the excitement this game brings during the multiballs is what really makes it special in my opinion.

I have had no issues with build quality or gameplay. JJP customer support is top notch.

I have yet to get much into Ghostbusters myself. I don't care for the mode progression and every one I have played the flippers are too strong resulting in too many air balls and frustrating drains. But I will keep trying!

#1609 3 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I want to say the Load Arrow means the next mode that is started, the player will get the chance to shoot the arrow in hopes of hitting the correct MAN targets, which would award either 2x scoring, 2x mode scoring, light extra ball, add more time, or points.

#1610 3 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Thanks pinballer0415, that's the best written summary to beat Smaug I've read. However, I don't remember hitting the ring button when I first (and only) time beat Smaug.

It might shoot out automatically after a certain number of seconds...

#1611 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Thanks pinballer ... going to have to print that out until it gets into the unofficial rulesheet that is in that thread. Then ... ... I'll definitely need a "coach" to guide me through all that wall playing. This is a two "player" game ... one person plays while the other one coaches. Can't wait for my TH to arrive in a month or so.

Having someone next to you definitely helps, but I also enjoy learning things on the fly while playing the game. I have made it very deep into the game, yet continue to constantly see/hear new things. Good way to keep players coming back. The secret mode lock was awesome the first time it happened.

#1612 3 years ago

I've had my Hobbit up and running since Monday and maybe have 15 games on it. Was having my best game so far when almost all the coils stopped working. No ball eject, mode eject on the left side. Anyone know where to look to see if anything has come undone or possible blown fuse?

Also with the drop targets...mine make a pretty loud ratcheting sound when they up up & down and especially loud on bank resets. Is this normal?

#1613 3 years ago
Quoted from PromoJoe23:

I've had my Hobbit up and running since Monday and maybe have 15 games on it. Was having my best game so far when almost all the coils stopped working. No ball eject, mode eject on the left side. Anyone know where to look to see if anything has come undone or possible blown fuse?
Also with the drop targets...mine make a pretty loud ratcheting sound when they up up & down and especially loud on bank resets. Is this normal?

Ratcheting noise is normal. Check all the plugs on the back of the metal box in the bottom of the cabinet. Make sure they're snug.

#1614 3 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

My kids Love hobbit. It's easy enough my 9 year old fully understands the rules and can even get into the fire. It's hard enough and deep enough to keep better pinballers going for a long time. Metallica is the perfect alternative next to either jjp pin imo too. definitely get a jjp. You won't regret it.

#1615 3 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

I have a wife and kids also. They seem to love the JJP games (I have both) due to the large screen and animations. The nice thing about the Hobbit is it is possible to start any of the modes without getting that far into the game so, it is possible for the more novice player to see a lot more of what it has to offer. Due to the animations I think the kids also enjoy watching others play a lot more than they do with DMD games. I have a Met and love it also, but my wife and kids almost never play it. The other favorite for my wife/kids in my collection is Monster Bash, but I would admit a JJP game would probably be a better value for the same money. With anything it is best to try before you buy. I really fell in love with the Hobbit after playing it a ton at ReplayFX.

#1616 3 years ago

I believe the "cut-off date" you speak of was just the last date you could change your mind and have your on-order LE be converted from an LE to an SE without an increase in price. If I'm not mistaken all SE's being produced do not say 1 of some number like the LE's do. In that case, the number of SE's can be limitless, where the LE's are limited to 1 to 1500. I, by the way, have LE #1498 on order from Dec, 13, 2012.

#1617 3 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

I believe the "cut-off date" you speak of was just the last date you could change your mind and have your on-order LE be converted from an LE to an SE without an increase in price. If I'm not mistaken all SE's being produced do not say 1 of some number like the LE's do. In that case, the number of SE's can be limitless, where the LE's are limited to 1 to 1500. I, by the way, have LE #1498 on order from Dec, 13, 2012.

It was specifically said that was the cutoff date to get an SE ordered for anyone, including distributors. Doesn't mean distributors didn't order 500 of them to sell later. Jack could theoretically say Pinball Sales ordered 2000 of them to sell later. LOL. What does it matter?

#1618 3 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I have a wife and kids also. They seem to love the JJP games (I have both) due to the large screen and animations. The nice thing about the Hobbit is it is possible to start any of the modes without getting that far into the game so, it is possible for the more novice player to see a lot more of what it has to offer. Due to the animations I think the kids also enjoy watching others play a lot more than they do with DMD games. I have a Met and love it also, but my wife and kids almost never play it. The other favorite for my wife/kids in my collection is Monster Bash, but I would admit a JJP game would probably be a better value for the same money. With anything it is best to try before you buy. I really fell in love with the Hobbit after playing it a ton at ReplayFX.

Yeah, I talked to you about it a little last week but would love to find the time in the near future to bring the wife to check out your Hobbit. Would also give her a chance to compare it with Woz side by side since she did like Woz. Have to see if sometime works out for everyone if the offer still stands.

#1619 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

What does it matter?

because inquiring minds want to know!

#1620 3 years ago

Anyone have any insights on how The Hobbit does on location?

#1621 3 years ago
Quoted from PinJump:

Anyone have any insights on how The Hobbit does on location?

It has done very good for me.

Disclaimer : I am biased.

#1622 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

What does it matter?

Because we need to know if big scary dragon artwork is better than a grim looking bunch of middle earth guys....Or which one is harder or easier to get... (although both seem pretty easy to get it seems...)

#1623 3 years ago

I just finished a 40 min game. Couldnt complete a singe mode. The one ring was impossible, I couldnt make a single ramp shot. No into the fire, no barrel escape, just a bunch of multiballs... 2.4 million score, Im disgusted with myself, the game kicked my a$$.
I cant wait to play it again..The game just ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1624 3 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

... but would love to find the time in the near future to bring the wife to check out your Hobbit. Would also give her a chance to compare it with my Woz side by side

#1625 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I just finished a 40 min game. Couldnt complete a singe mode. The one ring was impossible, I couldnt make a single ramp shot. No into the fire, no barrel escape, just a bunch of multiballs... 2.4 million score, Im disgusted with myself, the game kicked my a$$.
I cant wait to play it again..The game just ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know your feeling, good score without playing any of the Arkenstone modes. I just had an opposite experience, 4.2 million, and beat at least half of the modes I played. My goblin stopped working the last 3 balls so that halted any progress to Arkenstone modes. Had at least 10 chances to kill Smaug, but couldn't do it. Beast Frenzy makes it so difficult to hit the correct shot.

#1626 3 years ago

Mine finally shipped today. I ordered 12/12/12!

What are the best mods for the hobbit?

Will I need Cliffy's?

Will standard Williams /Bally mirror blades work! I have a spare set.

#1627 3 years ago

That's where your mind went with that post? If that's what I actually wrote then I could understand, but you had to go out of your way to edit to get there. You need to get out more

#1628 3 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

What are the best mods for the hobbit?

Don't know if they are the best but some good ones: hobbit figures (use 3 3/4 inch) their are several Lord of the Rings / hobbit shooter rods (the one I like is the Ring inside a crystal ball). Tilt Graphics makes a really cool pinblade for Hobbit. I just ordered the gold coin flipper covers from Back Alley Creations. I made a topper out of a real sting sword.

image_(resized).jpg

#1629 3 years ago

Here are the pinblades.

image_(resized).jpeg

#1630 3 years ago

The figures.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#1631 3 years ago

Has anyone done the axes for the slings out of metal?

#1632 3 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Has anyone done the axes for the slings out of metal?

The axes for the slings on my LE ARE metal. There are some plastic ones in the goodie bag though.

#1633 3 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Has anyone done metal sling axes yet?

i saw these amazing hobbit collectible weapons/axe for sale in cancun that had amazing detail but that was long before the designs had been finalized for the sling axes. i am going back this sept and will pick up and post pics but they are pricey .

#1634 3 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

The axes for the slings on my LE ARE metal. There are some plastic ones in the goodie bag though.

Yeah, they are metal with a sticker applied. Would be cool to see a painted properly formed axe though.

#1635 3 years ago

Looks like a nice TAF playfied in the one photo!
You should sell it to me (if you are not using it...)

#1636 3 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

That's where your mind went with that post? If that's what I actually wrote then I could understand, but you had to go out of your way to edit to get there. You need to get out more

Hey I LIKE where his mind went. Most entertaining post here 'course I DO need to get out more...

#1637 3 years ago

Hobbit SE #78 landed in Trondheim, Norway last week, and was up and running on location the same day. Finally a Hobbit owner! Looking forward to seeing how it performs commercially here.

#1638 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Hey I LIKE where his mind went. Most entertaining post here 'course I DO need to get out more...

Yeah it was kinda funny. He actually made me double check my own post to see if that's what I actually typed.

On a side note, anyone have recommendations on a distributor?

#1639 3 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

On a side note, anyone have recommendations on a distributor?

Mike Daddona at Automated Services - http://www.automatedservicesllc.com/

Tell him you want the LTG : ) Price, not full retail.

#1640 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Looks like a nice TAF playfied in the one photo!
You should sell it to me (if you are not using it...)

That's an TAFG playfield. It has been restored with three coats of clear. Aside from one tiny dis colored spot in an inconspicuous area, it's perfect. I was going to use it in my machine but my playfield is also so near perfect that it wouldn't be worth it. So unless your doing a gold you won't want this one. Sorry off topic I'll shut up now!

#1641 3 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

That's an TAFG playfield. It has been restored with three coats of clear. Aside from one tiny dis colored spot in an inconspicuous area, it's perfect. I was going to use it in my machine but my playfield is also so near perfect that it wouldn't be worth it. So unless your doing a gold you won't want this one. Sorry off topic I'll shut up now!

It's a purty playfield

#1642 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Mike Daddona at Automated Services - http://www.automatedservicesllc.com/
Tell him you want the LTG : ) Price, not full retail.

Thanks Lloyd, I called Mike.

#1643 3 years ago

I was wondering, did they add more Smaug speech? I always felt like Smaug should comment more on your game or talk to you while in attract mode. I hope they already did that or have it on their schedule for further updates. Getting my LE sooon

#1644 3 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

I had the same issue and the screws did not help. Finally figured out works fine if you apply pressure just to the left of the ring button (push down) on the lockdown bar while you close the lever and it will snugly close every time.

I'm having the same issue, but on mine you have to reach into the game and push up on the sliding latch on the left hand side to get it to engage with the lockdown bar. Brass screws are backed all the way out. Last night I really struggled to get it to latch even when doing this, spent 15 minutes on it and had to lift and lower the playfield several times so that I could watch it engage.

When I unboxed the game, it looked like the lockdown bar reciever was forced into the locked position, it took alot of force to unlatch it. The sliding latch on the left hand side was bent away from the player and there was a deep scratch in the lockdown bar above the notch where it should engage.

Seems like the lockdown bar receiver is mounted too low relative to the lockdown bar. I did submit a ticket, hopefully there is an easy fix that isn't obvious to me.

Little issues are frustrating, but man what a great game Hobbit is and the build quality is amazing!

#1645 3 years ago

Helped unbox and set up my friends THLE last night. I was curious on how many of the issues JJP resolved since I opened mine 3 months ago. I was surprised that almost all: ramp flap,wire form, beast inserts, even the cabinet protectors for the leg spacing for Rad Cals Were installed or resolved. The only thing left that was on my list was the shooter rod spring(still too week) My final fix for that on my machine was to add another spring with the factory installed one. (Same one). Perfect tension! So in summation, it was a very good NIB experience just short of perfect. The only issues we found were: the warning decal on the back of the head was peeling at the edges (would not restick), the left side rail was not quite installed right ( the rail should just overlap the cabinet at the top of the PF and it exposed the raw edge there). The rad cal on that side at the front was not quite under the side rail exposing the edge to the rad cal at that spot. Finally the lock bar issue. No problem getting it off but could not get it back on easily. Had adjust it and it still would not fit right. This could be fixed with a few alterations but shouldn't have to. Machine played nice and had 1.31. and the PF protector looked great. Did have to install Mylar at Smaug drop zone.

#1646 3 years ago

I got a quick response to my ticket on the lockdown bar issue, thanks JJP. I'll post it here for others to easily access:

"There is some play on the lockdown bar if you first remove the ring switch you will see three nuts left,right and center. please remove shipping wood screws first. them if you loosen all the nuts you can raise that lockdown mech up until you see the tabs flush with the playfield."

I'm going to give this a shot tonight and I'll report back with the result.

#1647 3 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

the warning decal on the back of the head was peeling at the edges (would not restick)

I had the same problem - seems to be fairly common unfortunately.

#1648 3 years ago

That's strange I did not have that problem so I wonder what has changed to create that situation?

#1649 3 years ago

Can anyone who has installed the new beast mech inserts from the update kit comment on how they fit in relation to the spider mech? I installed one of these earlier this week, and it was rubbing against the front of the spider model, since there was a decent degree of overlap between it and the plastic. There doesn't really seem to be a straightforward way to bend the assembly back so it clears the plastic, even though there seems to be space. Still waiting on a response from JJP, but I'd be interested in seeing whether other games have the same clearances.
20160817_204200_(resized).jpg20160817_204135_(resized).jpg20160817_204202_(resized).jpg

#1650 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

Can anyone who has installed the new beast mech inserts from the update kit comment on how they fit in relation to the spider mech? I installed one of these earlier this week, and it was rubbing against the front of the spider model, since there was a decent degree of overlap between it and the plastic. There doesn't really seem to be a straightforward way to bend the assembly back so it clears the plastic, even though there seems to be space. Still waiting on a response from JJP, but I'd be interested in seeing whether other games have the same clearances.

For the moment remove the upgrade from the spider mech. Balls dont get trapped in the spider its too big.
Its possible that your spider is hanging forward a bit.

The entire mech assembly should probably be removed for inspection.
Its a PITA but not really too hard if you have done it a couple times.

Maybe thin or sand the insert a bit (it looks like it would take a lot of modification)? One would think it would fit?

My game also has close clearance to the front of the spider. So this may be similar to what I will also find...
I havent received my kit yet, I ordered it last week it might come today or tomorrow.

Since the new games are coming with this upgrade, I wonder how its installed at the factory and whether the mech has also been upgraded if the fix doesnt fit in all cases.

Or is there a special spider insert?
Or are the current spiders thinner?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.99
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Braunfels, TX
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 7851 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 158.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside