Topic Stats

• 7,828 posts
  • 515 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Wildbill327
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,144 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpg
182073EA-3A86-4714-A07D-DE14034970C6 (resized).jpeg
B7D506CB-DD8C-4B4D-A4C1-A02716D2C79C (resized).jpeg
FC83295A-EEBB-44D9-8B79-4FE11917D16A (resized).jpeg
20190903_191923 (resized).jpg
20191011_105330 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 157.
#1401 3 years ago

I think the $89 price is to discourage giving out free wireforms to anyone that asks weather they need it or not.
Personally mine works 100%. If I find that I want the new one, I will pay for it as I'm one of the ones that dont need it.

The re-designed wireform does not have a double loop at the bottom to catch and drop the ball.
Balls can still skate off towards the sling plastic and drain, or roll up the loop. It will still need a bit of tweaking to make it closer to 100% reliable.

It mostly only addresses the ball hang issue.

#1402 3 years ago

I'm in!
My Hobbit LE ships today direct from JJP. I got it from Automated - Mike seems very nice and quite customer service oriented. Gave me a competitive price and spoke with JJP. They said that they will ship one that has both ramp fix is as well as the "Beast" popups fixes installed and tested. I've ordered a set of gameblades from Tilt graphics and the backbox lighting "gels" to increase the lighting contrast. I can't wait!

#1403 3 years ago

The wire form is defective because the ball hits the cross member below the longitudinal wires and becomes airborne. If the longitudinal wires were thicker or the cross members were bent out of the way there wouldn't be airballs. Check out this solution offered a couple of months ago that illustrates this issue.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/10#post-3171275

This is pointing to post #462 in this topic (Hobbit Owners Thread) I say this because sometimes it is hard to find the post being referred to.

#1404 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

The wire form is defective because the ball hits the cross member below the longitudinal wires and becomes airborne. If the longitudinal wires were thicker or the cross members were bent out of the way there wouldn't be airballs. Check out this solution offered a couple of months ago that illustrates this issue.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/10#post-3171275
This is pointing to post #462 in this topic (Hobbit Owners Thread) I say this because sometimes it is hard to find the post being referred to.

This is correct. Grinding the cross bar or bending it down a hair is the only solution on this version (It hits about 1/64" but enough to kick the ball off the track. I ended up just bending it down a bit with a wedged screwdriver and pliers).
I also had wire ends sticking up a bit on the end but just bent them down with pliers.

The revised wireform adds a wall of wire on the left side to solve a ball hang problem, I dont know if they added a bend in the lower crossbar.

They did not add a double loop to catch the ball on the current revision.

One thing to note:

I also bent the double loops up about 3/16" on the wireforms to correct the ball spin-out problem.
I haven't had a ball spin out to the in-lanes or out-lane since.

#1405 3 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I'm in!
My Hobbit LE ships today direct from JJP. I got it from Automated - Mike seems very nice and quite customer service oriented. Gave me a competitive price and spoke with JJP. They said that they will ship one that has both ramp fix is as well as the "Beast" popups fixes installed and tested. I've ordered a set of gameblades from Tilt graphics and the backbox lighting "gels" to increase the lighting contrast. I can't wait!

Congrats on your new game! Its an amazing experience.

#1406 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Bought these from Amazon for $5, comes with 2x of them
http://amzn.to/23fgpzX
1) You can see a splitter plug in the top RCA output on the computer case (this is where the factory sub normally plugs in)
2) Plug the factory sub in one end
3) Plug the other splitter in the other end
4) Plug a RCA -> 3.5mm cable into the other splitter and run it to your sub. This is one I recommend:
http://amzn.to/24V07LM

TH will be shipped to me in Sept. I want to install a sub woofer. On your posts, it seems that + and - connections are of no concern. With your suggested splitters (2) and master output cable (1) from Amazon, plus your photos, you just plug and connect as photographed and every thing is fine. Is that correct?

Also, does TH have a plate were the WOZ had one for the AUX out? If so, one could remove this plate to gain cable access to inside the cabinet.

#1407 3 years ago

I just used alligator clips to the terminals of the sub and ran the speaker wire to a Polk external sub. Sounds great and Smaug's voice just booms. Easy as pie less than 5 minute mod.

#1408 3 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Also, does TH have a plate were the WOZ had one for the AUX out? If so, one could remove this plate to gain cable access to inside the cabinet.

It has a plate which can be removed. It is secured with four screws.

#1409 3 years ago

I have an le that came off the line early this week and is shipping now. Anyone know if the ramp flap fix will be on it? That's a tough one for me to fix later because I don't have riveting tools or skills. Seems like a pita

#1410 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I have an le that came off the line early this week and is shipping now. Anyone know if the ramp flap fix will be on it? That's a tough one for me to fix later because I don't have riveting tools or skills. Seems like a pita

It seems to me that the "ramp flap fix" is just a rumor. No actual fix exists.

#1411 3 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

It seems to me that the "ramp flap fix" is just a rumor. No actual fix exists.

I got an email from Vic that says the fix is real and will be available soon.
Just make a support ticket for it and any other things you might want in the support portal.

#1412 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I would call and make sure its what you want or delay shipping.

#1413 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Major respect for Jack making a video himself. I get the cost for the wireform.
I challenge Gary Stern to post a video on YouTube addressing the defective playfield ghosting issue. He definitely responded the same day regarding his death hoax, but sure is quiet about Stern's quality problems. Your move, Gary.

HAHAHA to funny regards STERN.
All they will do is block you from facebook when you mention a fault.

Jack is very respected already for listening to his customers, and he will grow.

#1414 3 years ago

Just delivered! Unfortunately probably cant open her up until tomorrow afternoon...

20160805_103636_(resized).jpg

#1415 3 years ago
Quoted from lukewells:

It's all good news until he tells you that if you have the bad wireforms, you need to pay for a new one......
I'm fairly sure it's not my fault that my game was shipped with a bad wireform now is it?

At first I had to agree, but then I did realize that they will send you a bumper to replace the screw with to keep the ball from going off the ramp. This fixes the problem and you don't have to pay for it so thats good.

#1416 3 years ago

Just installed 1.3 beta this morning and got one game in. Quick question on mode ball lock...can you lock more than one mode lock ball? I locked one ball via hitting the left orbit. I have a harder time hitting left orbit and was never able to see if that would lock a ball also. On a similar note, is there something that needs to be done to make the mode lock available or is it available as soon as you're not in a mode?

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to trying this out more this weekend.

#1417 3 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

At first I had to agree, but then I did realize that they will send you a bumper to replace the screw with to keep the ball from going off the ramp. This fixes the problem and you don't have to pay for it so thats good.

You've missed some of the previous posts about my ramp, installing a bumper will not fix the problem at all, I would need to take a grinder to my wireform as others have suggested to grind off the nubs that are sticking out and causing the ball to jump over the stop post

#1418 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think the $89 price is to discourage giving out free wireforms to anyone that asks weather they need it or not.
Personally mine works 100%. If I find that I want the new one, I will pay for it as I'm one of the ones that dont need it.
The re-designed wireform does not have a double loop at the bottom to catch and drop the ball.
Balls can still skate off towards the sling plastic and drain, or roll up the loop. It will still need a bit of tweaking to make it closer to 100% reliable.
It mostly only addresses the ball hang issue.

I agree they shouldn't give it away for free just for asking, but I think they should give it away for free if you send in your old wireform. Charge me $90, then credit it back when I send in the old one.

#1419 3 years ago

BTW who's done Barrel escape now? Very exciting! All the adrenaline of Into the Fire, but with different objectives (and like the blue colour scheme)

#1420 3 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Just installed 1.3 beta this morning and got one game in. Quick question on mode ball lock...can you lock more than one mode lock ball? I locked one ball via hitting the left orbit. I have a harder time hitting left orbit and was never able to see if that would lock a ball also. On a similar note, is there something that needs to be done to make the mode lock available or is it available as soon as you're not in a mode?
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to trying this out more this weekend.

Once you hit all the rollovers again you can lock a 2nd ball. It makes for great strategy to try to have at least 1 (if not 2) balls when you start hard modes.

#1421 3 years ago
Quoted from lukewells:

BTW who's done Barrel escape now? Very exciting! All the adrenaline of Into the Fire, but with different objectives (and like the blue colour scheme)

Absolutely love it. I've gotten close to finishing it but never have.

#1422 3 years ago
Quoted from lukewells:

You've missed some of the previous posts about my ramp, installing a bumper will not fix the problem at all, I would need to take a grinder to my wireform as others have suggested to grind off the nubs that are sticking out and causing the ball to jump over the stop post

The nubs can be bent down a bit with pliers but its not the real reason for the ball skip. I did that on mine.
Spread the lower part of the loop out a bit. Maybe 3/16" total, bend up the loop maybe 1/4" or more.
Use 2 pair of needle-nose pliers and bend the last cross bar down slightly (put a little "V" or "U" shape in it), problem solved.
Try it, if you f#ck it up just wait for the replacement one. At the very least the game will play better while waiting for a replacement wire-form.

#1423 3 years ago

IMG_20160805_192246_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160805_192530_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160805_195821_(resized).jpg

#1424 3 years ago

Could someone PM me the 1.3 code please? I've been patiently waiting but reading everyone's posts about the code has made me antsy for it. Thanks.

#1425 3 years ago

1.3 Delta Game Install is up on JJP support website.

Cheers x 3

http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/game-specific-downloads/the-hobbit-downloads/

#1426 3 years ago

nice congrats. Curious to hear more on this mode + ball lock feature. For instance,

1. if you choose to take the Mode + Ball lock, does that clear the lock for Smaug?
2. Is there any additional scoring during a mode for having more than 1 ball in play from the Mode + Lock?
3. any other cool features added to 1.3?

#1427 3 years ago

I just updated to 1.3.

The game crashed the very first game when my score was about 35K and I was just starting my very first mode with an extra ball ready to go with it.

It also crashed in the middle of either Into the Fire or Smaug Multiball. It was during a very active multiball.

I only played about 5 games and it crashed 40% of the time. Totally crappy.

#1428 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I just updated to 1.3.
The game crashed the very first game when my score was about 35K and I was just starting my very first mode with an extra ball ready to go with it.
It also crashed in the middle of either Into the Fire or Smaug Multiball. It was during a very active multiball.
I only played about 5 games and it crashed 40% of the time. Totally crappy.

A lot of us have seen similar issues and JJP pulled this update from their website already. No more day 1 software updates for me. I'm sure they will make it right soon though.

#1429 3 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

A lot of us have seen similar issues and JJP pulled this update from their website already. No more day 1 software updates for me. I'm sure they will make it right soon though.

Hmmm, 1.3p has no crashing issues.

At least they'll know where to look.

#1430 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Hmmm, 1.3p has no crashing issues.
At least they'll know where to look.

Or they could just rename 1.3p to 1.31

#1431 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

nice congrats. Curious to hear more on this mode + ball lock feature. For instance,
1. if you choose to take the Mode + Ball lock, does that clear the lock for Smaug?

no it does not.
you can take the mode ball lock and the smaug lock stays lit.
you can mode lock up to 3 additional balls for the next started mode.
start smaug multiball without starting the mode upfront and try to get as far as possible until there are two balls left - then start the mode and you get back to a 5-ball smaug multiball to kill smaug.
try to avoid starting beast frenzy during smaug multiball as the beast are always standing in front of the jackpots you have to collect.

#1432 3 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Thanks for that update.

#1433 3 years ago

2 resets just now. Last one I was over a million and close to my first barrel escape. Crap. Waiting for a fix at this point. This game is nuts though. It's a total blast with new code. Good job jjp.

#1434 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

2 resets just now. Last one I was over a million and close to my first barrel escape. Crap. Waiting for a fix at this point. This game is nuts though. It's a total blast with new code. Good job jjp.

I know right! Pure craziness sometimes in a great way...Ranked 62nd in top 100??? Lol what a joke...not even close to right! Wish people couldn't rank games they never owned...either way Keith programming is why I pulled the trigger on a LOTR that I happen to come across recently! Sorry but if anybody is still on the fence about buying this game, quit waiting and pull the trigger...you will be glad you did

#1435 3 years ago

Definitely worth it. I seriously just keep playing my jjp games. I love the depths of jjp pins. Can't wait for the code fix

#1436 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Definitely worth it. I seriously just keep playing my jjp games. I love the depths of jjp pins. Can't wait for the code fix

Yes totally agree! Home environment is really what I feel these games were made for to really get a real full rounded experience for years....

#1437 3 years ago

Ok 200 games inspection...when I received It I checked as many screws tightness as I could before playing first game (Build Date 7/14/2016).... So after inspection everything looks good other than made a minor adjustment to Orc up/down switch and O switch...happy owner here! Only found one screw laying in bottom when received and still not sure where it may go...if anybody knows help a brother out

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#1438 3 years ago

That looks like a screw / bolt that holds the coin mechs in place

#1439 3 years ago
Quoted from Drew13:

That looks like a screw / bolt that holds the coin mechs in place

Ding ding ding! You the man thanks!

#1440 3 years ago

I noticed code version 1.31 is now available for download from JJP

#1441 3 years ago

Just set up my Hobbit and am finding a minor issue with the left VUK under Smaug. When it fires the ball reaches the end of the VUK wireform, hits the end of the horizontal section and then bounces back the way it came and down to only be fired back up again. This may happen 2 or 3 times before the ball is successfully deposited in the main left wireform.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking that reducing the power of the VUK may be the solution and will post back here if it is.

#1442 3 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

Just set up my Hobbit and am finding a minor issue with the left VUK under Smaug. When it fires the ball reaches the end of the VUK wireform, hits the end of the horizontal section and then bounces back the way it came and down to only be fired back up again. This may happen 2 or 3 times before the ball is successfully deposited in the main left wireform.
Has anyone else experienced this? I'm thinking that reducing the power of the VUK may be the solution and will post back here if it is.

Either lower or raise the power on the Vuk.

#1443 3 years ago

I just today raised my power to 22 (i think it was at 20) and it seems to have fixed the problem, FYI

#1444 3 years ago

So, I've been playing around with my flipper coil settings. My pitch is at 6.9 and I'm currently at 26 on right and 25 on left. I can backhand the ramps but sometimes with just barely enough power. I have noticed more airballs at these settings and am contemplating going back down to a pitch of 6.5 (lol, which I was also scoring better on). Has there been any kind of consensus on the best settings for pitch and flipper power?

#1445 3 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

So, I've been playing around with my flipper coil settings. My pitch is at 6.9 and I'm currently at 26 on right and 25 on left. I can backhand the ramps but sometimes with just barely enough power. I have noticed more airballs at these settings and am contemplating going back down to a pitch of 6.5 (lol, which I was also scoring better on). Has there been any kind of consensus on the best settings for pitch and flipper power?

I had the same setup.
Recently I raised the pitch to 7.1, coils at 26 and 27.
Air-balls about the same but balls exiting the pops go to the flipper instead of STDM.
I also raised the sling power on all of them another notch.
I think it plays better.

#1446 3 years ago
Quoted from lukewells:

So things are not going the best with my Hobbit so far.

It looks like your broken part at 1:12 is from a guide shown at 3:50. I'm curious if you have increased the flipper strength beyond the factory default? I've read a lot of folks are doing this and I'm concerned that excess flipper strength could cause damage in a variety of ways. I'm also wondering if it is possible that a loose screw could have fallen onto the coil and shorted it out?

#1447 3 years ago

I adjusted my flipper setting up to 25. Got way too many air balls. Dropped it back to default and went with super bands for the flippers. Major improvement. Just right on the power and accuracy. I really believe that if you turn up those coils too high, it's gonna start wrecking things and it would most certainly prematurely wear out playfield parts. Not to mention the extra pounding the PF itself will get especially if you don't have a protector installed.

#1448 3 years ago

I've not yet purchased a JJP game yet, but seriously considering The Hobbit. I really like how they address problems and publicly announce them and offer fixes.....I don't see Stern doing that nearly as much. I also like how JJP updates code more quickly, etc. I might be in for a Hobbit!

#1449 3 years ago

Digging the new code! Nicely done and creative. Even I was a little concerned about the limited things on the pf. Sure enough they find a way to keep things so different and not like any other pin !

#1450 3 years ago

how does one go about finding the build date on a boxed LE?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 157.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside