IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 260.
#1251 7 years ago

Update on the fix kit. Frank from JJP called me back and said that an announcement about the kit should be made in the next few days. The kit comes with the beast mech fix, springs for drops, and a post for the far left habit rail. The kit will be available to request from the JJP support site.

#1253 7 years ago

Thought of something else...you can get a "sneak in" lock for the modes if you dribble a ball into the passage above Smaug when the orbits aren't lit for locks. Cool little touch.

I had a bonus of 365k that I almost tilted away too. Thankfully, I didn't!

#1254 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Thought of something else...you can get a "sneak in" lock for the modes if you dribble a ball into the passage above Smaug when the orbits aren't lit for locks. Cool little touch.
I had a bonus of 365k that I almost tilted away too. Thankfully, I didn't!

Great game! I thought there was a big difference between 1.10 and 1.21, but I honestly think an even bigger difference between 1.21 and 1.30. The mode ball lock is a game changer as well as treasure hunt and wind lance awards. It also becomes much easier to complete modes later in the game since the difficulty of the beasts is higher meaning less times you have to worry about them popping up.

#1255 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

Great game! I thought there was a big difference between 1.10 and 1.21, but I honestly think an even bigger difference between 1.21 and 1.30. The mode ball lock is a game changer as well as treasure hunt and wind lance awards. It also becomes much easier to complete modes later in the game since the difficulty of the beasts is higher meaning less times you have to worry about them popping up.

Oh yes, windlance awards: I got a double pf award from that last night!!

As awesome as the game is, I'm worried it's actually becoming too easy.

#1256 7 years ago

Great game! I thought there was a big difference between 1.10 and 1.21, but I honestly think an even bigger difference between 1.21 and 1.30.

Woz was very much like that. Each new update made the game geometrically better, till one time with one of the later updates, the game just came fully together. I can see TH taking that path.
Very early on, Keith said I'm going to show what a mode based game really is (or words close to that). Already it's like no other game.

#1257 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Loved it first time I got this. Little details like this are fun

#1258 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Oh yes, windlance awards: I got a double pf award from that last night!!
As awesome as the game is, I'm worried it's actually becoming too easy.

Easy from what standpoint? I think the rules yield to very long ball times especially with the addition of Book Mode mb. Then it's much easier to get to Into the Fire and Barrel Escape. But I think beating those two modes is extremely hard as well as beating some of the individual modes. I still have yet to come remotely close to playing all 31 modes in one game, which is rumored to be the final wizard mode.

#1259 7 years ago

Easy from what standpoint? I think the rules yield to very long ball times especially with the addition of Book Mode mb. Then it's much easier to get to Into the Fire and Barrel Escape. But I think beating those two modes is extremely hard as well as beating some of the individual modes. I still have yet to come remotely close to playing all 31 modes in one game, which is rumored to be the final wizard mode.

Easy in the sense that I'm having close to 45 minute long games and playing 6 Arkenstone modes in a game. Granted, I only beat Into the Fire once (got close on Barrel Escape) and some modes really are difficult to beat. Somehow I collected around 5-6 extra balls. It just seems that, like LOTR, after a long game you don't feel like pressing start again for a while. We'll see how the code finishes up though. Lots of stuff to come yet.

#1260 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Easy in the sense that I'm having close to 45 minute long games and playing 6 Arkenstone modes in a game. Granted, I only beat Into the Fire once (got close on Barrel Escape) and some modes really are difficult to beat. Somehow I collected around 5-6 extra balls. It just seems that, like LOTR, after a long game you don't feel like pressing start again for a while. We'll see how the code finishes up though. Lots of stuff to come yet.

Yeah I know what you mean. I think going into it you are going to have to accept that it's a grind. I think the modes diversify it well enough where you aren't shooting for the same things all of the time. Here are the different ways I've seen to get an extra ball lit.

1. Mystery award from the mystery target
2. 25 captive ball hits
3. 50 captive ball hits (I think)
4. Kicking over enough barrels
5. Windlance award
6. Qualify all the modes and hit the roaming drop target
7. Treasure Hunt??? Very unsure on this

#1261 7 years ago

Yeah I know what you mean. I think going into it you are going to have to accept that it's a grind. I think the modes diversify it well enough where you aren't shooting for the same things all of the time. Here are the different ways I've seen to get an extra ball lit.
1. Mystery award from the mystery target
2. 25 captive ball hits
3. 50 captive ball hits (I think)
4. Kicking over enough barrels
5. Windlance award
6. Qualify all the modes and hit the roaming drop target
7. Treasure Hunt??? Very unsure on this

I wouldn't call it a grind (yet). It's very fun and I never feel like I'm chopping wood to advance...it's just looong game times is all so you don't want to play multiple times in a row.

Treasure hunt definitely has an extra ball available. I might have scored a few of those.

#1262 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I told a friend more than a week ago that Hobbit definitely feels like LOTR in terms of the epic ruleset, and necessarily long ball times.

Personally I am not having particularly long games on anywhere near a consistent basis, and I have only beat Smaug once, and still don't even beat that many modes per game. So I have a long way to go before the pin becomes a grind for me...too many goals left to reach. Just like Valinor kept me coming back for more on LOTR, I expect the ruleset and ultimate wizard mode on Hobbit to do the same thing.

Plenty of my games are still below 400k points.

#1263 7 years ago

Seems like 1.3x is taking a little bit longer then expected to come out. I wouldn't be surprised if some additional tweaks / fixes are in the public release code compared to the beta code that is out there.

#1264 7 years ago

Lets get it! Been too long, need some new adventuares

#1265 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Seems like 1.3x is taking a little bit longer then expected to come out. I wouldn't be surprised if some additional tweaks / fixes are in the public release code compared to the beta code that is out there.

.. or they could leave 1.30 as is, and as beta only. Then release version 1.35 with small tweaks.

#1266 7 years ago

My ramp flaps are getting pretty beat up near the bottom where the ball strikes the ramp.
As others have seen, this is causing the flap to bend up about 1/8" to 3/16".

It does impact the ball speed going up the ramp by a bit, and causes a little bouce that kills inertia, that makes it harder to make the ramp shot.

Other than bending the flap back down and loosening the screws (as I have done) for a temporary fix, Is there a permanent solution?
Maybe more robust flaps out of stronger spring steel? Does anyone carry this for me to order?
Somehow reduce the initial slope of the ramp flap by installing the flap a little higher up?
Putting some foam tape under the flap initially so that it wont bend as much after repetitive ball strikes?

What seems to be the correct solution?

#1267 7 years ago

^^^ Having similar issues

#1268 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

My ramp flaps are getting pretty beat up near the bottom where the ball strikes the ramp.
As others have seen, this is causing the flap to bend up about 1/8" to 3/16".
It does impact the ball speed going up the ramp by a bit, and causes a little bouce that kills inertia, that makes it harder to make the ramp shot.
Other than bending the flap back down and loosening the screws (as I have done) for a temporary fix, Is there a permanent solution?
Maybe more robust flaps out of stronger spring steel? Does anyone carry this for me to order?
Somehow reduce the initial slope of the ramp flap by installing the flap a little higher up?
Putting some foam tape under the flap initially so that it wont bend as much after repetitive ball strikes?
What seems to be the correct solution?

Would like to know a valid solution too...though I haven't tried the double sided tape yet. That's my next thing to try.

#1269 7 years ago

The problem is that the ramp is too steep for the ball to roll up it.
It instead "hits" the ramp flap corner, and then rolls up the ramp.

Again a more graceful bend should fix it permanently. Or a "way" more robust ramp flap out of better spring steel.

Marco sells .006 steel and pinrestore sells .007 spring steel for restoration.

Can someone measure the thickness of the current material?
I'm wondering if the current flaps are not the right material.
They look like stainless.

The problem isnt unique to this game, I have seen it on a few others too. In time the ramp flaps get all beat up.
Im just curious if there is a good solid fix for this.

#1270 7 years ago

expect to see ramp flaps in the repair kit to ship soon. I don't know if they are same size or modified. We'll see, but in the meantime ...

#1271 7 years ago

Frank told me they had a ramp fix too. I tried bending, and double sided tape. Both temporarily worked. Waiting for a kit at this point

#1272 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

expect to see ramp flaps in the repair kit to ship soon. I don't know if they are same size or modified. We'll see, but in the meantime ...

So the kit that will be released soon will contain new ramp flaps? On the live stream, I remember hearing 12 springs for the drop targets and the 4 beast mech fixes.

#1273 7 years ago

Anyone that has the beta 1.30 code, please pm me.

#1274 7 years ago

So the kit that will be released soon will contain new ramp flaps? On the live stream, I remember hearing 12 springs for the drop targets and the 4 beast mech fixes.

Expect flaps and rivots to be included in the kit and shooter spring too. The table of contents has been expanded and final selection to be revealed once it has been received somewhere. Shouldn't be long now - probably a week or two.

#1275 7 years ago

The 1.30 code is a HUGE improvement - adding ball locks before mode starts essentially gave the game 31 extra multiballs! It's insane !! So much more frantic and fun. Keith really turned a simple layout into a great game. It's a keeper for a long time. Very happy with my purchase and code support from JJP.

#1276 7 years ago

Please explain what the new ball locks before mode start is all about. Thanks.

#1277 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Please explain what the new ball locks before mode start is all about. Thanks.

When you spell lock via the rollovers you now have the option to lock a ball via the orbits (magnet above catches ball). These locked balls will apply to any mode you start. The first two of these locks are available when you spell lock as normal. Successive ones require spelling lock separately from the Smaug locks (rollovers change to red instead of green). So any mode can be a multiball now.

#1278 7 years ago

double

#1279 7 years ago

Replacing rivets is a pain if you don't have the right tools. If you need help let me know and I will help and/or do the replacement for you.
I have the press to make it look like it was done at the factory. Super convenient if you are in the Bay Area but also willing to do it by mail if you pay for shipping. Not looking to get paid just trying to give back and help out.

#1280 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Expect flaps and rivots to be included in the kit and shooter spring too.

Who is going to replace the flaps on the ramps when they are riveted in? Seems like very few owners will have the ability to do this.

Very strange regarding the springs for the drop targets. I have never had a single problem with any of my drop targets working. They are 100%.

#1281 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Who is going to replace the flaps on the ramps when they are riveted in? Seems like very few owners will have the ability to do this.
Very strange regarding the springs for the drop targets. I have never had a single problem with any of my drop targets working. They are 100%.

I think the thriftiest rivet tool is the "C" clamp one. Its cheap and does the job.

Anyone have a link to this tool?

I have forgotten where I got mine....

#1282 7 years ago

Wow very cool. Thanks for the explanation.

#1284 7 years ago

Hobbit LE @home

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1285 7 years ago

WOW thats a long way from New Jersey!
Amazing game!

#1286 7 years ago

For the ramp flaps, what about loosening the ramps up and putting some foam to support the ramp under the ramp flaps?

#1287 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think the thriftiest rivet tool is the "C" clamp one. Its cheap and does the job.
Anyone have a link to this tool?
I have forgotten where I got mine....

here it is:
http://tubularrivetclincher.yolasite.com/online-store.php#!/Tubular-Rivet-Tool/c/2355765/offset=0&sort=normal

#1289 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

For the ramp flaps, what about loosening the ramps up and putting some foam to support the ramp under the ramp flaps?

I used to be a machinist tool and die man before all that work went to china.

I loosened my ramp again last night.
The flaps bent easily, looked like thin stainless steel.

The problem is the material is too soft.

They should be spring steel of a high quality, maybe .008 or .009 in thickness
I might try the .007 steel that pinbits sells, but I think its too thin.

It is true that multiple ball strikes will anneal and soften even the hardest materials, but I think a high quality spring steel will last long enough if its hard enough. I dont care about rusting, I will just wax it like everything else.

Its a PITA to completely remove the ramp just to re-rivet the ramps, but I will if I have to.
Im inclined to wait a bit and see what JJP is offering before I tear it all apart.

Maybe give Ken over there a call and see what he thinks, he is an actual engineer.

#1290 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

what size rivets? need to know what size die set to order!

I think he includes a set of die's, we would use the 1/8" one.
Email him and tell him its for pinball 1/8" tubular rivets.

Or get the big heavy one from pinrestore.com its a great unit and he has everything you need right there on his site.

#1291 7 years ago

New update sounds amazing ! Can't wait! I love how different this pin is from the normal. That's one of the many reasons I love it. Seems like others just want clones of what they already have but to each there own.
Multiball multiballs mutliball !!!!!

#1292 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I actually tried that. It lasts longer, but still curls up.

#1293 7 years ago

Would love if someone would share 1.30 beta code with me!?!? Pm please weekend time to play

#1294 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I actually tried that. It lasts longer, but still curls up.

I just got an email from Vic at JJP.
They are aware of the problem and an update kit will be available soon.

#1295 7 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Would love if someone would share 1.30 beta code with me!?!? Pm please weekend time to play

Got it! Thx a lot

#1296 7 years ago

Installed and now playtime

#1297 7 years ago
Quoted from EricPinball:

Installed and now playtime

Congrats! TH and WOZ look great together, two incredible pins side by side.

#1298 7 years ago

Could someone send me a PM with the 1.3 download link, please? Purdy please???!!!

#1299 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Strange I haven't had any problems with the flaps at all. I got 200 plays now.

#1300 7 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Strange I haven't had any problems with the flaps at all. I got 200 plays now.

Mine is also fine since I loosened the ramp screws but it was never that bad in the first place. Perhaps the ones that curled bad are never going to be the same

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.