IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,993 posts in this topic. You are on page 257 of 260.
#12801 51 days ago
Quoted from indybru:

I recently added Lior's beasts. Yes they are expensive but I decided to treat myself to getting them. I also bought a full set from JJP when they were available. Only one broke so that was replaced.
I knew my tech was coming out to work on some pins especially Hobbit so I bought them. Tech installed them , added sub woofer, fixed a beast that wouldn't pop up and installed the new JJP I/O board. I feel like I have a new game. I've owned Hobbit since new and it's the most consistly played and most played game that I own.
Cheers.

Do you also see a difference with the new board? I know there are also alternative options being explored and the board is on back order anyway but I don’t think I’ve read reactions for the new board.

I’m so new to the game I haven’t progressed past the Barrel mode so probably wouldn’t notice but wouldn’t mind future proofing it as well.

#12802 51 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Does anyone have and recommend the Lior beasts? They seem pretty expensive for what they are as they just end up getting beat up and aren’t visible the entire times.
My pin does have the Lior book cover and barrel legs so I’m thinking about purchasing but would hold off if people who have it say they’re not worth it.

save your money, nuts what he wants for his stuff.

#12803 51 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Is there a particular subwoofer you recommend?

Polk PSW10

#12804 51 days ago

Monoprice has a really solid sub for under $100 like the Polk was pre Pandemic. For a pinball machine I'm going the Monoprice path every time unless something even cheaper shows up.

#12805 51 days ago

I’m seeing Polk at $250 on Amazon. Was that the same one pre covid mentioned on this thread for like $90? Yikes

#12806 51 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

I’m seeing Polk at $250 on Amazon. Was that the same one pre covid mentioned on this thread for like $90? Yikes

Yep, they got dumb. Just get the Monoprice one.

#12807 51 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Keep an eye out for ebay listings. I have three, the most recent one I picked up for $68 shipped! Probably impossible to find a deal like that now but I'd recommend one for $130 or below. I've had the monoprice and don't think it's nearly the same level as the PSW10.

#12808 51 days ago

The last Polk sub 10 I bought was $100 awhile ago. Someone on pinside posted this sub special.
I/ O Board is big difference prior to having it had a difficult time with right flipper to right ramp with longer game play. Now no issue.

#12809 51 days ago

Check craigslist for Polk subs. I've bought a number of them for $50 or less.

#12810 50 days ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Check craigslist for Polk subs. I've bought a number of them for $50 or less.

Agree. I have four PSW10 and never bought one new. I think the most I ever paid was $75. Got all four of them off CL.

#12812 49 days ago

Has anyone found a way to stop the moonwalking from the right ramp exit? On mine it can go 1 of 4 places lol

#12813 49 days ago
Quoted from Soulless:

Has anyone found a way to stop the moonwalking from the right ramp exit? On mine it can go 1 of 4 places lol

You have to bend the shit out of it. There are some posts in this thread with photos if I recall correctly.

#12814 49 days ago
Quoted from Soulless:

Bend the end loops on the wireforms up a bit.

I bent them up (away from the playfield) about 3/16 to maybe 1/4" or more. It definitely solves this behavior.

Some info on it here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments

Basically stick a 1/2" nut driver in the loops and carefully bend them back upon themselves until you get the height off the playfield you want.

Super easy, no stress, please dont pull up on the wireform, more just bending back upon the wireform itself slowly with something in the loop like a nut driver.

#12815 48 days ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

You have to bend the shit out of it. There are some posts in this thread with photos if I recall correctly.

Any idea where? I did searches and could not find anything..I assumed this was a pretty big issue with most people lol

#12816 48 days ago
Quoted from Soulless:

Any idea where? I did searches and could not find anything..I assumed this was a pretty big issue with most people lol

post #17

#12817 48 days ago
Quoted from Soulless:

here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments#post-3229419

#12818 48 days ago

Thank you, found that post in that thread but reaper mentioned it was talked about in this thread somewhere, so was wondering where that might be. I bend the top loop down and the ball now bounces in the ramp but no longer moonwalks...so I will take that, better then losing the ball lol

#12819 48 days ago
Quoted from Soulless:

I bend the top loop down

Im confused.

Most if not all people bend both loops "UP" about 1/4"

The wireforms have 2 loops at the end of each of them.

One upper to stop the ball.

One lower to direct the ball towards the playfield.

Both of these loops, on BOTH wireforms can be bent "UPWARDS", or increase the angle that they already have, on them a LOT, (UPWARDS TOWARDS THE SKY OR CEILING).

The loops will no longer be parallel to the surface of the playfield, but at an angle to the playfield or bent towards the back of the playfield, or upwards.

I dont think that this is too hard to understand, BUT if whatever you did solves the problem, then its just fine.

#12820 48 days ago

Hi All, I would like to join this club. I’m located in Denver and willing to drive if anyone is looking to sell or trade. I have a Bond Premium I can offer for trade + cash. I listed wanted ads in the usual places but thought I’d also try here. Cheers.

#12821 48 days ago
Quoted from PinDeadHead:

Hi All, I would like to join this club. I’m located in Denver and willing to drive if anyone is looking to sell or trade. I have a Bond Premium I can offer for trade + cash. I listed wanted ads in the usual places but thought I’d also try here. Cheers.

Not sure what your price point is but you may want to reach out to Troy Tilt from Tilt Amusements. He had one listed a month or so ago with the option for shipping at an extra cost that I was strongly considering before I was able to find one local.

#12822 48 days ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

I've owned every JJP machine through GnR except POTC. IMHO, DI is the best of the bunch.

Although I now appreciate DI a lot more since when it was originally released, IMHO, you've missed owning the best JJP game.

I still need to play Elton John though.

Quoted from briyau15:

Does anyone have and recommend the Lior beasts? They seem pretty expensive for what they are as they just end up getting beat up and aren’t visible the entire times. ...

I have and do. They are expensive (like all of Lior's mods), but they look fabulous - especially the goblin and ork! Their resistance from wear due to bashing has been excellent too.

I appreciate them all each time they pop up as the original beasts look like gumball machine prizes to me in comparison.

#12823 48 days ago
Quoted from PinDeadHead:

You are in luck, because for a while there was this really old guy with a pointed hat and a long stick yelling to folks like you ..... "YOU SHALL NOT PASS". Haven't seen him in a while now, so your search should be uninterrupted.

In all seriousness, this title pops up pretty often and you should be able to find one real soon. Hope you find one very quickly! It is a great title.

#12824 48 days ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

You are in luck, because for a while there was this really old guy with a pointed hat and a long stick yelling to folks like you ..... "YOU SHALL NOT PASS". Haven't seen him in a while now, so your search should be uninterrupted.
In all seriousness, this title pops up pretty often and you should be able to find one real soon. Hope you find one very quickly! It is a great title.

I figured that guy might be lurking… thanks. I found one which will require an insane drive and I’d rather not ship. Will have to think on it.

#12825 48 days ago

Anyone selling an Elite topper? Please PM me

#12826 47 days ago
Quoted from Tres:

Anyone selling an Elite topper? Please PM me

Minus the frame, the hardware to build this in total is ~$110. I'm in the process of looking for a 3D printer locally to print a frame and I'll build my own.
Maybe instead of a book looking frame, Thorins map with moon runes lit up in blue (strobing / fading light effect).

#12827 47 days ago

Is there a setting that removes the “Tweet your game”
QR code screen after you finish a game?

#12828 47 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Is there a setting that removes the “Tweet your game”
QR code screen after you finish a game?

Yes, main menu, system settings, all the way at the very bottom disable competition menu

#12829 47 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Yes, main menu, system settings, all the way at the very bottom disable competition menu

Awesome, thanks!

#12830 47 days ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Although I now appreciate DI a lot more since when it was originally released, IMHO, you've missed owning the best JJP game.
I still need to play Elton John though.

I have and do. They are expensive (like all of Lior's mods), but they look fabulous - especially the goblin and ork! Their resistance from wear due to bashing has been excellent too.
I appreciate them all each time they pop up as the original beasts look like gumball machine prizes to me in comparison.

I completely agree and highly recommend the Lior beasts mod. They were a little tricky to install, but not bad. And they look fantastic! The whole family loves them.

#12831 45 days ago

Is the Ring metal plate anywhere available?

#12832 45 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Is the Ring metal plate anywhere available?

I think that I might want one of those too.

#12833 45 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think that I might want one of those too.

Me too!

#12834 45 days ago

I actually own the lock down button ring plate mod.
I just found it was mezelmods who sold it and they no longer have it on their site.
Anyway, my handymans wife has an engraving business. I'll see if she has equipment to do both cutting and engraving.
Maybe consider 3 versions?
1.) Ring Button
2.) My Precious
3.) The Precious

Several negative comments about this button shroud (and likely why they stopped selling it), sweaty hands very quickly builds up hand gunk funk which discolors the metal. I removed mine, used Novus two and a drill attachment to shine it back up and then I laid over clear Self-Adhesive laminate which makes the top easy cleanup and remains fresh looking.
The adhesive that it was sold with was also cheap and wears out. Gorilla glue to the rescue.
The gold ring was cheap and discolored very quickly.

#12835 45 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I actually own the lock down button ring plate mod.
I just found it was mezelmods who sold it and they no longer have it on their site.
Anyway, my handymans wife has an engraving business. I'll see if she has equipment to do both cutting and engraving.
Maybe consider 3 versions?
1.) Ring Button
2.) My Precious
3.) The Precious

Several negative comments about this button shroud (and likely why they stopped selling it), sweaty hands very quickly builds up hand gunk funk which discolors the metal. I removed mine, used Novus two and a drill attachment to shine it back up and then I laid over clear Self-Adhesive laminate which makes the top easy cleanup and remains fresh looking.
The adhesive that it was sold with was also cheap and wears out. Gorilla glue to the rescue.
The gold ring was cheap and discolored very quickly.

Is it the same as this one? I got mine from someone else? I can't remember where though. No problems with it.

20240229_193835 (resized).jpg20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
#12836 45 days ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Is it the same as this one? I got mine from someone else? I can't remember where though. No problems with it.[quoted image]

You don't have sweaty hands I'm guessing.

#12837 45 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

You don't have sweaty hands I'm guessing.

It’s not so much sweaty as it is acids, some people really wear down keys and metals they frequently touch.

#12838 45 days ago
Quoted from freddy:

It’s not so much sweaty as it is acids, some people really wear down keys and metals they frequently touch.

Exactly the point. Trying to bring awareness to the issue for those who do. Cover it up or it will degrade fast.

#12839 44 days ago

So stupid question…my spider head was missing a bracket so I purchased one and am trying to install.

The previous posts reference removing the flap by taking out the spring clips, which seem to be this loop thing. How do I take this out? Does it just pull out? I don’t want to do something I’m not because I don’t have spare spring clips lying around in case it breaks.

IMG_2727 (resized).jpegIMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
#12840 44 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Does it just pull out? I don’t want to do something I’m not because I don’t have spare spring clips lying around in case it breaks.

Pulls out. When I do these I have a big magnet nearby so if clip or spring takes off it stays nearby.

LTG : )

#12841 44 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Pulls out. When I do these I have a big magnet nearby so if clip or spring takes off it stays nearby.
LTG : )

Thanks LTG, I’ll give it a go.

#12842 44 days ago

got a hobbit smaug le with less than 150 plays originally on it, guy was offering a foo fighters premium and $1300 for a trade, im torn on if i should do it. i don't play hobbit much anymore but damn its a beautiful game. only played foo fighters a few times, seems fun. anybody own both and got any suggestions?

#12843 44 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

got a hobbit smaug le with less than 150 plays originally on it, guy was offering a foo fighters premium and $1300 for a trade, im torn on if i should do it. i don't play hobbit much anymore but damn its a beautiful game. only played foo fighters a few times, seems fun. anybody own both and got any suggestions?

Hobbit is far superior to foo fighters to me, but then again this is The Hobbit thread so I'm a bit biased.

#12844 44 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

It is interesting to me that you are contemplating both titles I did about a year ago. I played both titles a bunch, did my research, and ended up with TH. To me I focussed on two things 1) TH is by far one of the best presenting pins ever made 2) I liked the depth of the ruleset of TH.

I will also mention that mechanically there are very few titles like it. On the surface it may not look that intense. BUT take a look at the bottom of TH and you will really appreciate how stacked that title is.

Just my 2 cents and one that is a HUGE FF Fan.

#12845 44 days ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Is it the same as this one? I got mine from someone else? I can't remember where though. No problems with it.[quoted image]

If I remember correctly the prior owner Of Flip N Out Larry sold these. Wish I bought it. Ended up with Lior’s creation.

#12846 44 days ago
Quoted from indybru:

If I remember correctly the prior owner Of Flip N Out Larry sold these. Wish I bought it. Ended up with Lior’s creation.

That's probably who I bought it from. Mezel Mods probably made some once he stopped making them and there was some demand/ requests for it.

#12847 44 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Own both, both a lot of fun,if you want a change go for it .

#12848 43 days ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

If you’re having doubts and want an excuse to keep The Hobbit then I’ll step in, although I only recently joined the club and am still in the honeymoon phase plus even growing up with 90s rock my two favorite Foo Fighters songs are the acoustic version of Everlong (from the Howard Stern show?) and their cover of Baker Street so take that info as you will.

I see FF isn’t on your wish list…

Surmising TH’s deep finished code may be a unicorn in the JJP world then does that give it more value?

If you do have buyers remorse then is it easy to get back in the Hobbit club? Foo’s and all recent Sterns are aplenty right now.

Then again I understand the logic of willing to part with it if you don’t play it as I’m in the same boat with Godzilla so wouldnt mind replacing it with another JJP to experience something new. Plus if you’re done then would give another fan a chance to experience but I don’t see my LOTR and TH ever leaving.

#12849 43 days ago

I seldom play any of my pins with my career, but Hobbit LE will be one of the last pins to go if and when I sell. It’s just a work of art and the code and gameplay makes it a masterpiece. My prediction is Hobbit will increase in value over time as the theme is timeless. Besides….it’s my precious!

That said, Foo was rated Game of the Year last year and I’ve had my eye on an LE for a while and plan to buy one this month. I gravitate towards rock/metal pins and I’m hearing good things about that game. I played an LE a few times and wasn’t very impressed, but the volume was low and I didn’t get too deep into the code. I’m sure it shines with a great sound system and more time in a home environment. Plus it makes a great music jukebox to listen to when not playing.

If I had to keep only one, it would definitely be Hobbit, though. I like going on immersive adventures that last for 30 to 45 minutes to escape the real world. I’ve come close to There and Back Again, but that’s still on my to do list! Killing Smaug and playing through all three wizard modes in one game is as good as it gets in pinball!

Note: Foo Fighters feels like a cheap toy compared to Hobbit. JJP pins are built like tanks and Hobbit is one of the heaviest pins around. My LE just oozes equality…the bronze vein armor is insanely nice

#12850 43 days ago

FWIW I installed the HerculEASE kit today and there was a noticeable improvement in overall strength.

Flippers felt snappier and had more confidence in ramp shots where before some shots would U-turn or barely make it around.

The lance kickback shot was an unexpected improvement as I feel the shot is now how it’s designed where the ball consistently makes it to the upper right flipper.

The game feels less “floaty” overall, definitely recommend one of the options that are out there if you’re considering making the change (although not sure about long term impact but consensus seems like it’s safe).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,993 posts in this topic. You are on page 257 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/257 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.