IMG_8201 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2323 (resized).png
20240118_222843 (resized).jpg
20240118_222824 (resized).jpg
20240118_222805 (resized).jpg
20240118_222754 (resized).jpg
20240118_222744 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,830 posts in this topic. You are on page 253 of 257.
#12601 3 months ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Where is the disk battery located? I hope it's in the back box. I hate lifting the playfield.

Sorry, it's in the box under the playfield

#12602 3 months ago
Quoted from freddy:

I believe clip was mentioned

I guess I did not see it.
Thanks.

#12603 3 months ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Where is the disk battery located? I hope it's in the back box. I hate lifting the playfield.

It is on the motherboard.
My Hobbit has a silver box on the bottom of the cabinet that houses the PC for the game.
This is where the motherboard is, at least on my WOZ and TH.

#12604 3 months ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Where is the disk battery located?

Inside the big metal box with all the boards inside the cabinet on the floor of the game, on the motherboard.

LTG : )

#12605 3 months ago

What's with the springs on the drop targets? Since I got the machine a few months ago, 5 different springs on the drop targets have snapped. I just stretch and reattach but is this expected?

#12606 3 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

is this expected?

It was early on. jjp sent out new springs back then.

#12607 3 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

just replace mine in my woz, less than 300 plays. had to splice wires and cut off some old connectors to get it to work, so don't throw away your old one. several different cpu's were used. none that you can purchase come with all the right connectors on early models. not sure if they finally got it standardized by the time they built hobbit. mark all connectors, because you might have to do some rigging to get the standard power supply to work.

I just recently replaced my PS. The ps that jjp sent matched the old one. So it was just a matter of connecting all the connectors. I do have a woz and have not checked whether the connections are the same. But you are right, jjp changed many connectors on earlier to late builds.

#12608 3 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

It was early on. jjp sent out new springs back then.

Ah ok. This is a smaug machine with low plays I picked up so likely previous owners never got new springs. I had to buy the updated left habitrail that fixes the ball trap for example.
I wonder if they would send me some springs for no cost if I asked.

#12609 3 months ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Start lifting!

#12610 3 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

No idea. Open a ticket on the help desk. It doesn't hurt to ask.

#12611 3 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Ah ok. This is a smaug machine with low plays I picked up so likely previous owners never got new springs. I had to buy the updated left habitrail that fixes the ball trap for example.

You will also want the anti ball trap insetts and the mylars around the character holes, if they are missing on the game,

#12612 3 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Hopefully your game has the updated ramp flats because I heard they are a MAJOR PIA to replace!

#12613 3 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Hopefully your game has the updated ramp flats because I heard they are a MAJOR PIA to replace!

Yeah the silver ramp flaps are no good.

#12614 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Yeah the silver ramp flaps are no good.

They are the worst!

1 week later
#12615 3 months ago

Many moons ago I was trying to solve a sound problem on my Hobbit... I was advised at the time to "Bypass the ground loop isolator (odd little black box that the speaker wire is plugged into) and plug the speaker wire directly into the green hole in the back of the computer."

I wasn't with the game at the time and the drive to fix the problem dwindled, but now it's re-kindled and I want to fix this thing...

Can anyone help me identify the 3 mentioned things in the above advice... I.e. the ground loop isolator, the speaker wire and the green hole... are they in this photo of the inside of the game:

If it would help for me to zoom in to any area, just steer me and I'll take another photo...

Thanks for any help!!

20231124_233104 (resized).jpg20231124_233104 (resized).jpg

#12616 3 months ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Thanks for any help!!

Well I'm no jjp expert. But I'l try and help.

Page D-102 in the Hobbit manual shows the back of the big metal box on the floor of the game. The rear of it. The motherboard is sticking out. #13 one of the three round circles is the green hole - middle of the three.

Can't tell in your picture where the ground loop isolater is for sure. See my picture - circled in red. If that isn't it follow the wire from #13 to it.

Pinside_forum_7885564_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7885564_0 (resized).jpg
#12617 3 months ago

Many moons ago I was trying to solve a sound problem on my Hobbit... I was advised at the time to "Bypass the ground loop isolator (odd little black box that the speaker wire is plugged into) and plug the speaker wire directly into the green hole in the back of the computer."
I wasn't with the game at the time and the drive to fix the problem dwindled, but now it's re-kindled and I want to fix this thing...
Can anyone help me identify the 3 mentioned things in the above advice... I.e. the ground loop isolator, the speaker wire and the green hole... are they in this photo of the inside of the game:
If it would help for me to zoom in to any area, just steer me and I'll take another photo...
Thanks for any help!!
[quoted image]

You don't state exactly what the problem is.
I highly doubt the ground loop isolator is bad. IIRC it's zip tied to something behind the sound board to the right of it. If your issue is your sound keeps going in and out and if you can smack the side of your cabinet which makes it full volume again then it's likely the 1/8" stereo output cable that runs from the sound board, outside the backside of the case and plugs into the motherboard there is faulty.

#12618 3 months ago

I've been spending more time playing as of late and I have a question about BOTFA. I've only been there a handful of times and have never beat it. Pisses me off that BB holds the grand champion score for it lol. Anyway .... here's my questions:
1.) What I believe to be the last shot of beating BOTFA was the captured ball. All the other lights were like a pale white and the sounds were almost non existent. I'm on beta 9 and not sure if BOTFA is unfinished or is that actually the intended code? I drained before I hit it.

1.) Also, on BOTFA I had a Gollum save ball start up on the BOTFA drain and the game ended the mode anyway. Is that a bug or expected behavior?

#12619 3 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

You don't state exactly what the problem is.

Sorry, I should have elaborated on that... the problem is a lot of unwanted noise...like a badly tuned radio constantly in the background, during boot-up, in attract mode and during gameplay...

#12620 3 months ago

Sorry, I should have elaborated on that... the problem is a lot of unwanted noise...like a badly tuned radio constantly in the background, during boot-up, in attract mode and during gameplay...

That sure does sound like the isolator is faulty. That's what the machine actually sounds like natively without one installed.
Anyway, to bypass it simply disconnect the stereo cable going into it, trace the isolators cable output to where it plugs into the motherboard, unplug it and plug the first cable you disconnected from the isolator into it.
I suspect you'll have the same issue thus warranting a new isolator.

#12621 3 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Page D-102 in the Hobbit manual shows the back of the big metal box on the floor of the game. The rear of it. The motherboard is sticking out. #13 one of the three round circles is the green hole - middle of the three.

I must admit, I'm a bit lost... I clearly need to download the manual... would it help if I took a photo of the back of the box so all the connectors are visible? Is that where the green hole is? Sorry for being so dim! I don't see anything resembling what I imagine a motherboard to look like sticking out of the box... is that visible in the photo I posted?

#12622 3 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Anyway, to bypass it simply disconnect the stereo cable going into it, trace the isolators cable output to where it plugs into the motherboard, unplug it and plug the first cable you disconnected from the isolator into it.

It sounds easy... I just need to find the thing... the item Lloyd circled doesn't have anything plugged into it, so that's not it... is it possible it's not even there, and that's why I have the problem? It's been like this since the day I bought it! Maybe the previous owner took it out...?

#12623 3 months ago

is that visible in the photo I posted?

No.

The back of the metal box has three circles in a column like this :

O
O
O

Hard to miss three circles like that.

#12624 3 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I highly doubt the ground loop isolator is bad.

I had to replace them in both my WOZ and TH.

I agree that it would seem impossible for them to fail, but they do.

The new ones I bought are holding up better than the factory ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Recoil-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-Eliminate/dp/B0BZD13Z2V/ref=asc_df_B0BZD13Z2V/

#12625 3 months ago

is it possible it's not even there,

The early "quick fix" was to remove the isolator.

Unfortunately you have to put it back in after awhile as the bad sounds come back worse.

Its s simple little box than goes on the speaker wire and then attaches to the green hole in the computer via a seperate wire.

https://www.amazon.com/Recoil-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-Eliminate/dp/B0BZD13Z2V/ref=asc_df_B0BZD13Z2V/

So:

find the speaker cable from the backbox speakers.

Plug it into the ground loop isolator box.

Plug the wire from the isolator box to the green hole in the back of the computer (big silver box).

sound should be inproved barring other problems.

Try to keep the wires away from the computer power supply or fan, it can be electronically noisey.

Often moving the speaker wires around has an effect on the audio quality.

#12626 3 months ago

I've looked for 3 circular connectors on the back of the box, and all I can see are these 4 connectors, and none of them are green... only the top 3 are used on the outside of the box, but on the inside the bottom one is also used, which is odd (to me!). The middle of the top 3 has 'audio' written on it on the inside. There is nothing that resembles the description of the ground loop isolator on this cable. I've highlighted the cable with yellow dots as it goes from the box to inside the backbox... are these 4 round connectors the 3 circles? Is the middle of the upper 3 used ones (which had no green on it) the 'green hole'?

Thanks for all help, I greatly appreciate it! I'm determined to fix this, and sorry for my stupidity in trying to follow the advice.

20231125_074124 (resized).jpg20231125_074124 (resized).jpg20231125_074254 (resized).jpg20231125_074254 (resized).jpg20231125_074403 (resized).jpg20231125_074403 (resized).jpg20231125_074826 (resized).jpg20231125_074826 (resized).jpg
#12627 3 months ago

Thanks for all help,

From the manual. The red arrow points to #13 on the motherboard on the rear of the metal box with the boards.

DSC00872 (resized).JPGDSC00872 (resized).JPG
#12628 3 months ago

Thanks for all help

Isolation transformer looks similar to this. ( if your game still has it )

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-40000-Extension-Isolation-Transformer/dp/B0047AKVYO/ref=sr_1_20

#12630 3 months ago

Found it! Thanks for your perseverance with me! So, it looks like my ground loop isolator is totally missing... I've highlighted the cable connected to this green hole...

20231125_090924 (resized).jpg20231125_090924 (resized).jpg

20231125_090953 (resized).jpg20231125_090953 (resized).jpg
#12631 3 months ago

So, it looks like my ground loop isolator is totally missing

Get one of these - https://www.amazon.com/BESIGN-Ground-Isolator-Stereo-System/dp/B06XQYN77L/ref=sr_1_2_sspa

Unplug wire into green hole, plug it into a ground loop isolator, then plug ground loop isolator into the green hole.

#12632 3 months ago

Ordered. Thanks everyone!

#12633 3 months ago

I'm installing a loft with very little headroom. I'm planning to set the headroom at 6' 4" which should work for the rated height of the Hobbit on Jersey Jacks site - 6' 2.25".

How tall is the peak of the Hobbit? Is the 74.25" considering slope adjustment (i.e. is it 74.25" when set to max slope)?

#12634 3 months ago
Quoted from 1stFireball:

I'm installing a loft with very little headroom. I'm planning to set the headroom at 6' 4" which should work for the rated height of the Hobbit on Jersey Jacks site - 6' 2.25".
How tall is the peak of the Hobbit? Is the 74.25" considering slope adjustment (i.e. is it 74.25" when set to max slope)?

just measured mine , about 75.25 inches of height , plus some for nudging , so would say 76 inches is about right , so it might be tight for you 6' 6" would be better

#12635 3 months ago
Quoted from 1stFireball:

If it meant me having TH or not, I would consider taking out a very small section of the ceiling to fit it. But of course, I like the machine that much!

#12636 3 months ago

I finally got the inside mirror blades installed. It's a tight fit! In particular, the front screws cause some friction. I'm thinking on using glue, but not sure if there's a better alternative or even what type of glue use to bond metal to wood.

Any suggestions?

#12637 3 months ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

If it meant me having TH or not, I would consider taking out a very small section of the ceiling to fit it. But of course, I like the machine that much!

I love the Hobbit. What makes me sad is that I don't think we'll ever see a pin quite like this ever again. It has a unique design with all the pop up beasts and drop targets. It feels like a true quest while playing it. In a world of standard body pins with smooth, flowy but "safe" designs, the Hobbit stands apart. Better bolt those Hobbits to the floor.

#12638 3 months ago

Hobbit is a beautiful game but so far, no regrets in selling mine. I found it to be a little clunky when I played it, it's sorta a mix between old and new. Long games and a fairly easy game play. It's one of the those games that I feel if I played it enough, I could get to the end of it. It wasn't really one of those games where I had one good game and never saw the likes of scoring that high again. All the games I played seemed fairly the same. Sure I would occasional have a game better or worst than the last, but on a average they were all pretty good games... Unlike other games in my collection where I get my ass handed to me more than I would like to admit!

#12639 3 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Hobbit is a beautiful game but so far, no regrets in selling mine. I found it to be a little clunky when I played it, it's sorta a mix between old and new. Long games and a fairly easy game play. It's one of the those games that I feel if I played it enough, I could get to the end of it. It wasn't really one of those games where I had one good game and never saw the likes of scoring that high again. All the games I played seemed fairly the same. Sure I would occasional have a game better or worst than the last, but on a average they were all pretty good games... Unlike other games in my collection where I get my ass handed to me more than I would like to admit!

I respect your opinion. I've personally never found the game clunky at all. I like that it has that old+new vibe. I don't care for most newer Sterns right now because I get tired of them so quickly. Hobbits main strength for me is that I don't get bored of it. The code is deep, the games feel like a huge adventure. I always eventually get bored of every machine I buy, not so with the Hobbit. If I look in the settings the average game length is not much longer than anything else. I have way longer games on my LOTR.

#12640 3 months ago

32 modes its hard to complete them all ! Just say’in !

#12641 3 months ago

Hobbit is as close to an RPG as we've had in pinball. It's biggest strength is this depth and the very different feel compared to modern Sterns.

#12642 3 months ago

The other thing on the TH is the sound package. IMO it is the best that has ever been done. JJP has really let this slide as releases have come out. Maybe it is the soundtrack that makes it so appealing. Either way, it is a keeper.

#12643 3 months ago

Found it! Thanks for your perseverance with me! So, it looks like my ground loop isolator is totally missing... I've highlighted the cable connected to this green hole...

Ordered. Thanks everyone!

I recommend replacing the junk 1/8" stereo cables - and your yellow RCA plug is loose. Give all RCA's a good push in.

Quoted from VisitorQ:

So wait, you never beat BOTFA or go through TABA and claim it's a fairly easy game to play? The only thing easy about TH is most of Radagast modes. You didn't get the full experience of the machine and it's too bad. It took me almost 2 hours to get to and through TABA (on factory settings). The modes are all timed so what does that tell you about complexity and depth? TH is a code master beast and absolutely an underrated game.
The only thing I'm going to give any credence to is long game play IF you're a good player but that also requires a serious amount of nudging to avoid watching the left kicker slow motion punt the ball to the right out lane more often than not.
Is the hobbit the most exciting game? Not at all. The wide body floaty-ness is semi annoying and adding additional pitch doesn't help curb much of that either but to say it's easy - far from it my dude.

#12644 3 months ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I just recently replaced my PS. The ps that jjp sent matched the old one. So it was just a matter of connecting all the connectors. I do have a woz and have not checked whether the connections are the same. But you are right, jjp changed many connectors on earlier to late builds.

yeah, but they want like 350 dollars for a 60 dollar power supply. that ain't happening.

#12645 3 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

yeah, but they want like 350 dollars for a 60 dollar power supply. that ain't happening.

I just replaced mine about two weeks ago. It was $225, but yes way too much.

#12646 3 months ago

Take the outlane and center posts out to make it harder. You'll get punished for not making shots and be forced to play better to keep your MB going.

#12647 3 months ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Take the outlane and center posts out to make it harder. You'll get punished for not making shots and be forced to play better to keep your MB going.

I've never even played the game with the center post installed.

Quoted from CLEllison:

I recommend replacing the junk 1/8" stereo cables - and your yellow RCA plug is loose. Give all RCA's a good push in.

So wait, you never beat BOTFA or go through TABA and claim it's a fairly easy game to play? The only thing easy about TH is most of Radagast modes. You didn't get the full experience of the machine and it's too bad. It took me almost 2 hours to get to and through TABA (on factory settings). The modes are all timed so what does that tell you about complexity and depth? TH is a code master beast and absolutely an underrated game.
The only thing I'm going to give any credence to is long game play IF you're a good player but that also requires a serious amount of nudging to avoid watching the left kicker slow motion punt the ball to the right out lane more often than not.
Is the hobbit the most exciting game? Not at all. The wide body floaty-ness is semi annoying and adding additional pitch doesn't help curb much of that either but to say it's easy - far from it my dude.

Yup. I think I beat Smaug in the first couple of days I had it and then I think I beat him twice in one game. No. I never completed all the modes to get to there and back again but I didn't feel like at anytime it was out of reach. However... I was getting to the first two wizard modes every session I played the game and beating Smaug became fairly obtainable for me. Yes the modes are all different but honestly, they are not that dramatically different. All and all it's a good game but being that the game is long and the extra balls are plenty, it just got to feel like a lot of the same after a while. I guess what I am saying is I saw EVERYTHING in the game except for two things and besides those two things, I saw all the rest. Game, after game, after game, after game...

I'm glad you all love it! My game was beautiful and honestly like owning a playable piece of art. This is my opinion and it's ok if you have a different one. All good! Some games just speak to you, POTC is still hands down my favorite JJP game but even that came and went but for other reasons.

#12648 3 months ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I just replaced mine about two weeks ago. It was $225, but yes way too much.

At least you can buy a power supply from jjp,American pinball told me to wait 6 month for one.

#12649 89 days ago

I know you can have stacked modes running at times, but how many additional modes started by using the right ramp? I took a super long break from playing and when I started to play again I had upgraded to beta 9 (pretty much no prior reference point). Feels like there's a change. I just had Smaug MB, Riddles in the dark, Feast Frenzy and some other ramp mode running at the same time. It feels like it's one too many modes excessive ... but is this normal behavior or a potential beta 9 bug? It also felt like the machine was struggling to play sound effects because of everything going on. A level of confusion of what to actually be playing for audio clips and it essentially only played music in the background. I lost the ball shortly thereafter.

#12650 89 days ago

I turned off Beast MB stacking with Smaug MB as soon as I got the game. Keefer is strong in the camp that allowing those two MBs to stack is fine but I find them to be better tools to make controlled game progress when you can't stack them.

I would like to see a way to skip to 4 and 5 star modes faster than the book ramp. Or perhaps even better would be allow completed modes prior to a mini wizard mode to add their value. For example finish a 1 star, a 2 star, and two 3 star modes before starting Into the Fire and get 2.75x value vs the 1x value you would get now. Otherwise, I'm always shooting the book ramp over and over again trying to skip modes that have so little value in the mini wizards to get to a 4 star so I can do 2x value and play Into the Fire or others for close to a million a pop.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
There are 12,830 posts in this topic. You are on page 253 of 257.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/253 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.