IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 239 of 260.
#11901 11 months ago
Quoted from cerberusdog:

Anyone ever replaced one of the "lock" rollovers? What is involved? My "C" rollover button's stem broke and the button flipped up on playfield. JJP sold me a new button saying that's all I need. With the nipple on the end how am I supposed to get it through the sleeve? The old remnant won't pull out from the top. Before I go tinkering I'd love to know how it's supposed to be done. Thanks in advance.

Hello. I have the exact same problem my "C" rollover popped off. I've been looking around and can't find a stem or any type of instructions on how to fix it. What did you end up doing? Thanks.

#11902 11 months ago
Quoted from VeggiePin:

I've been looking around and can't find a stem or any type of instructions on how to fix it.

Let Chicago Gaming tech support help you.

You need a new button :

https://www.planetarypinball.com/pinball-03-9103-1-9 ( it is red )

Get the stem out of the base. New button snaps right in.

LTG : )

#11903 11 months ago

If anyone is looking for action button sculpture from Lior I have an unused one in the market place.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/156578

#11904 11 months ago
Quoted from Goronic:

If anyone is looking for action button sculpture from Lior I have an unused one in the market place.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/156578

Very tempted....

#11905 11 months ago

i was wandering, does anyone already swapped for a higher definition screen, and, it would be possible to swap the videos on the code also for higher definition ones?

#11906 11 months ago
Quoted from Days:

i was wandering, does anyone already swapped for a higher definition screen, and, it would be possible to swap the videos on the code also for higher definition ones?

Not sure about the screen, but I don't believe it's possible to change any audio/video assets with any JJP games.

See this thread about the monitor (Hobbit has a good one already)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-can-we-talk-about-replacement-lcds/page/3#post-7529662

#11907 11 months ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Not sure about the screen, but I don't believe it's possible to change any audio/video assets with any JJP games.
See this thread about the monitor (Hobbit has a good one already)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-can-we-talk-about-replacement-lcds/page/3#post-7529662

thank you, am going to read that thread

Well, i imagine JJP will never more touch on the Hobbit code, and will never care about update the code do a better video resolution...

#11908 11 months ago

I'm thinking of doing mirror blades on the Hobbit. Anyone with any experience with them on this machine? Just concerned about clearance and who to buy them from. I always use the plastic protectors when raising my playfield. Right now I just don't see any art blades that I love for the Hobbit.

I just put the sillyoldelf art blades on my LOTR and they are amazing but there isn't anything that impresses me that much for the Hobbit. I'm having issues with the sillyoldelf art blades bubbling up a bit, the adhesive isn't very strong on them.

I have regular mirror blades on my Stern Star Trek and they look really good on that machine. I do see gold mirrored blades for the Hobbit. Thanks for any input.

#11909 11 months ago

Have a read of this thread. It has caused problems to quite a few.

#11910 11 months ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

Have a read of this thread. It has caused problems to quite a few.

Ok, thanks. I'm assuming with the tight clearance of the playfield.

#11911 11 months ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I'm thinking of doing mirror blades on the Hobbit. Anyone with any experience with them on this machine? Just concerned about clearance and who to buy them from. I always use the plastic protectors when raising my playfield. Right now I just don't see any art blades that I love for the Hobbit.
I just put the sillyoldelf art blades on my LOTR and they are amazing but there isn't anything that impresses me that much for the Hobbit. I'm having issues with the sillyoldelf art blades bubbling up a bit, the adhesive isn't very strong on them.
I have regular mirror blades on my Stern Star Trek and they look really good on that machine. I do see gold mirrored blades for the Hobbit. Thanks for any input.

I had mirror blades from cointaker on my hobbit, no issues.

#11912 11 months ago

Anyone else have the kill Smaug and then the game decides to not launch balls in the Vistory Lap multiball so you have to reset the game?? Happened to me around 3 times

IMG_4786 (resized).jpegIMG_4786 (resized).jpeg
#11913 11 months ago
Quoted from SLRage:

Anyone else have the kill Smaug and then the game decides to not launch balls in the Vistory Lap multiball so you have to reset the game?? Happened to me around 3 times
[quoted image]

Check all of the switches in the game with a ball.

You have a bad or mal-adjusted switch.

Possibly a broken wire or diode.

#11914 11 months ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I like these mirror blades with 'Hobbit' lettering cut out.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/226#post-6871530

#11915 11 months ago

Just brought a Hobbit Smaug Edition home!

The W drop target is not coming back up. Coils look ok. Connections look ok. Nothing visibly wrong. Error report says to check the drop target. And .... ? It's only that one. Everything else is flawless.

Actually it popped up once during the last game but no idea why and it was while all the other DWARF targets were down.

Anyone have any advice?

#11916 11 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Anyone have any advice?

Fix the broken wire on the switch so the game knows where it is. Up or down.

#11917 11 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Anyone have any advice?

I wonder if your little black plastic ledge is broke? It holds up the drop target. If you manually lift the target, does it stay up? Mine broke off so I turned off the coil for that particular letter. But you would notice the coil firing several times.

#11918 11 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Anyone have any advice?

Check the brackets holding the coil that pushes them up. The one on top of the coil is likely broken or the threaded posts holding it sheared off. Then check the up coil for broken wires, broken coil sleeve.

#11919 11 months ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

I wonder if your little black plastic ledge is broke?

The target isn't going up. So the ledge isn't part of the problem.

#11920 11 months ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Where are the gold coins/circle discs from shown in your photo?

#11921 11 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check the brackets holding the coil that pushes them up. The one on top of the coil is likely broken or the threaded posts holding it sheared off. Then check the up coil for broken wires, broken coil sleeve.

It tries to pop up. And when it doesn't pop up, it does a 3 click little test type thing but still doesn't pop up.

#11922 11 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

It does work sometimes. Like sometimes it worked for most of a game. Sometimes it won't work at all. Everything underneath looks identical at each target.

I'm thinking its some type of connection bc of it being intermittent.

#11923 11 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

It does work sometimes. Like sometimes it worked for most of a game. Sometimes it won't work at all. Everything underneath looks identical at each target.
I'm thinking its some type of connection bc of it being intermittent.

Its easy to remove the mech to work on it on the workbench.

I would pull it out and examine/clean/rebuild/inspect the entire mech.

#11924 11 months ago

I've noticed the ramp guards (the metal at the entrance of the ramps) are bent up about 1/8 of an inch from the playfield. It's significant enough to notice.

I've noticed lately a lot of rattling into the ramps and airballs/bouncing balls on exit or rejects.

Is there a way to bend these back without taking the ramps off? They look to be riveted on....

Anyone have this issue?

#11925 11 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

I've noticed the ramp guards (the metal at the entrance of the ramps) are bent up about 1/8 of an inch from the playfield. It's significant enough to notice.
I've noticed lately a lot of rattling into the ramps and airballs/bouncing balls on exit or rejects.
Is there a way to bend these back without taking the ramps off? They look to be riveted on....
Anyone have this issue?

Do you have the old silver ramp flaps?

They DEFINITELY curl up and stop the ball.

JJP sent out a replacement ramp flap kit with new BLACK ramp flaps.
They are MUCH stronger.

If you ask them they can send it out to you still I magine.

#11926 11 months ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Where are the gold coins/circle discs from shown in your photo?

They were in the game when I got it

#11927 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Do you have the old silver ramp flaps?
They DEFINITELY curl up and stop the ball.
JJP sent out a replacement ramp flp kit with new BLACK ramp flaps.
They are MUCH stronger.
If you ask them they can send it out to you still I magine.

Yes they are metal. I didn't know about this but that's great!

I wonder how to replace them tho...

#11928 11 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Well I got around to installing the new ramp flaps and Cliffy's. And you guys were right! It was a PITA! I like how I had to remove the 5 bank drop target assembly so I could remove the VUK assembly so I could get at the post nut under playfield to install the Balin Cliffy. I followed the advice given to me here and the job went extremely well! The 1/8" diameter semi-tubular rivets would not seal tight up against a block of hard wood so I used the butt end of my bench vice. I used the HANSON HT-174 HAND RIVET CLINCHER. There was a little flattening of the rounded top of the rivet, but it looks fine. I replaced all rubbers and waxed as well. Only thing left to do now is install beast door ball stops. amazon.com link »
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Search ramp flaps , there's a bit of info , I'm sure people who have done it will offer advice .
Key posts are severely lacking in this thread .

#11929 11 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Search ramp flaps , there's a bit of info , I'm sure people who have done it will offer advice .
Key posts are severely lacking in this thread .

Wow. That sounds like a major pita!

Well damn. But it needs done.

#11930 11 months ago

As an alternative you can order a new ramp with the new flaps. About $220 IIRC. It's an option.

#11931 11 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

Wow. That sounds like a major pita!
Well damn. But it needs done.

I took me about 45 mins to remove/rebuild/clean and replace the main ramp.

You will need a rivet setting tool. Rivets seem to be a mystery for most people, but they are easy to use and set.

#11932 11 months ago

I took me about 45 mins to remove/rebuild/clean and replace the main ramp.
You will need a rivet setting tool. Rivets seem to be a mystery for most people, but they are easy to use and set.

I've used rivet tools, but bigger one for like boat doors and things. I think my rivet tool would be too big. I'm good with a 45 minute remove and replace. Much longer one some other machines so 45 minutes doesn't seem that bad really. Any tutorials floating around about taking it out?

Quoted from DiabloRush:

As an alternative you can order a new ramp with the new flaps. About $220 IIRC. It's an option.

eh. Would probably rather try to put the flaps on. Going to have to remove it regardless. Are they black metal?

#11933 11 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

I've used rivet tools, but bigger one for like boat doors and things. I think my rivet tool would be too big. I'm good with a 45 minute remove and replace. Much longer one some other machines so 45 minutes doesn't seem that bad really. Any tutorials floating around about taking it out?

eh. Would probably rather try to put the flaps on. Going to have to remove it regardless. Are they black metal?

Use the hanson rivet tool or the pintonka one.
https://www.amazon.com/Rivet-Clincher-Diameter-Designed-Conjunction/dp/B089745YZK/ref=sr_1_6

https://www.pintonka.mountainminded.net/

I have both and use them a lot.

#11934 11 months ago

What's everyone got for grand champion and high scores around here?

#11935 11 months ago

Set it a couple of years ago when I only had 2 games and played it daily. Now I can’t get over 4.5mill

IMG_1392 (resized).jpegIMG_1392 (resized).jpeg
#11936 11 months ago
Quoted from SLRage:

Set it a couple of years ago when I only had 2 games and played it daily. Now I can’t get over 4.5mill
[quoted image]

Wow. Did you have to take a lunch break?! That's crazy! And awesome!

I've had it for 3 days and I'm at 2.8m. and that game was 20+ minutes long.

#11937 11 months ago

Man it was exhausting and yes I had several breaks. Total “experience” was over 2 hours. I have determined I’ll never get on my scoreboard again now since I have several games but I will always love The Hobbit and can’t see it ever leaving.

Quoted from Ecw0930:

#11938 11 months ago

2,8mill in 3 days has to be a record though! Happy Flipping

Quoted from Ecw0930:

#11939 11 months ago

Hobbit is the only game guaranteed to never leave my collection. It never gets old, love it.

#11940 11 months ago

I had the early stainless flaps on my ramp and they were looking like a pair of "Iznogood shoes"
Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 19-49-47 50 Snabelsko! ideas khussa indian shoes jutti (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-05-11 at 19-49-47 50 Snabelsko! ideas khussa indian shoes jutti (resized).png
Got the ramp powder coated when it was of anyway - couldn't find a green color to match the game colors, so went with black and reused the stickers in stead.
Made some flaps out of a heavy duty, blue stained spatula (it is costly to get parts from US to EU).
Also made some diffuser and brackets to mount the 2 LED boards on the underside of the ramp to get better visibility (lost the pictures of the process - sorry).
Did not like the stainless-lasercut-look so I'm very happy with result...
Not the best pictures but you get the idea.
DSC01158 (resized).JPGDSC01158 (resized).JPGDSC01149 (resized).JPGDSC01149 (resized).JPG

#11941 11 months ago
Quoted from ORF:

I had the early stainless flaps on my ramp and they were looking like a pair of "Iznogood shoes"
[quoted image]
Got the ramp powder coated when it was of anyway - couldn't find a green color to match the game colors, so went with black and reused the stickers in stead.
Made some flaps out of a heavy duty, blue stained spatula (it is costly to get parts from US to EU).
Also made some diffuser and brackets to mount the 2 LED boards on the underside of the ramp to get better visibility (lost the pictures of the process - sorry).
[quoted image][quoted image]

Very striking looking!

When shopping for ramp flap material around the world, its called "shim stock".

Machinists use it for shims as it is hard to compress it.

It also makes good springs, so its also called spring steel.

You can get silver, blue or black.

Silver is the softest and can bend, black is the hardest, blue is in the middle and is the general use ramp flap material for pinball.

#11942 11 months ago
Quoted from ORF:

[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Very interesting idea. Would be very cool in a black arrow edition!

#11943 11 months ago

Very striking looking!
When shopping for ramp flap material around the world, its called "shim stock".
Machinists use it for shims as it is hard to compress it.
It also makes good springs, so its also called spring steel.
You can get silver, blue or black.
Silver is the softest and can bend, black is the hardest, blue is in the middle and is the general use ramp flap material for pinball.

That's cool info. I'm glad the replacement flaps are black then.

I should have mine soon. JJP sent them for free (plus shipping) and I got an email saying the request was being processed.

#11944 11 months ago
Quoted from SLRage:

2,8mill in 3 days has to be a record though! Happy Flipping

It was actually on the first day too.

#11945 11 months ago

A few gameplay related questions:
- What's the trick to consistently lit and access the Warg and Spider inlane ? These are kind of random, if I miss the first shot to hit the beast, I'm toasted until I luck out and hit these inlanes
- Likewise, is it possible to hit the Elf and Man drop target from a cradle position ? I tried various flipper angles, but could not find one that would work
- Is there a way for the "unlock" conditions to stack up ? For ex, once I have lit "Smaug Multiball" or "Collect all dwarves", is there a way for these to carry over to the next stage ? That would make things easier to access later arkenstone modes
- Is there a setting to extend the "hit window" for any of the beasts ? As noted above, you basically get one shot, if you miss it no second chance most of the time because of the very short duration window

Cheers

#11946 11 months ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

- Is there a setting to extend the "hit window" for any of the beasts ? As noted above, you basically get one shot, if you miss it no second chance most of the time because of the very short duration window

I believe it is this. Page B-31 in the manual under Game Settings. Beast Hurry Ups difficulty 1 thru 7, default is 3.

#11947 11 months ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

A few gameplay related questions:
- What's the trick to consistently lit and access the Warg and Spider inlane ? These are kind of random, if I miss the first shot to hit the beast, I'm toasted until I luck out and hit these inlanes
- Likewise, is it possible to hit the Elf and Man drop target from a cradle position ? I tried various flipper angles, but could not find one that would work
- Is there a way for the "unlock" conditions to stack up ? For ex, once I have lit "Smaug Multiball" or "Collect all dwarves", is there a way for these to carry over to the next stage ? That would make things easier to access later arkenstone modes
Cheers

I usually Shatz the inlanes to collect them:

#11948 11 months ago

Okay so my Hobbit won’t turn on this evening and just shows this screen. Any advice? TIA

IMG_4801 (resized).jpegIMG_4801 (resized).jpeg
#11949 11 months ago
Quoted from SLRage:

Okay so my Hobbit won’t turn on this evening and just shows this screen. Any advice? TIA
[quoted image]

Might need a new battery on the computer mainboard.

You also may need a usb keyboard to get past the setup prompt.

#11950 11 months ago

Thanks for the help!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 239 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/239?hl=slrage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.