IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 231 of 260.
#11501 1 year ago

Love this machine. Probably have 20 plays on it now since getting it. But it is so immersive. What a blast to play. One of my pop ups is in need of adjustment as I can hit it solidly and it doesn’t register. But otherwise it’s amazing. Into the fire today and a new GC today! I have to read more of the rules. What a great game!

#11502 1 year ago
Quoted from doc5md:

I can hit it solidly and it doesn’t register.

Common issue is broken wire to the leaf blade switch on the target.

You'll have to remove the mechanism to get at it.

LTG : )

#11503 1 year ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

It's Smaug's mouth. Your closed mouth setting is too aggressive and he is constantly smashing his teeth together when not speaking causing that servo to draw tons of current all the time and creating lots of heat in the board. Measure the current draw off the servo with his mouth closed if you want further evidence. Otherwise just relax his close position until the servo isn't binding. If this has been wrong for too long, your BAG board may also be damaged at this point. A friend had success just unplugging Smaug entirely.

I'm doubtful your mouth settings are suddenly wrong without you having adjusted them, but that's a great place to start looking. Regardless of the particular problem in your Smaug mouth mech, you can confirm it's Smaug mouth related by unplugging the yellow ethernet cable going into Smaug. If the problem ceases, there's your culprit.

My Smaug mouth mech would jam and cause the servo to run continuously even when the jaw settings were appropriate. It's a similar effect to having the closed setting "too" closed, but a different cause. If your mechanism is sticking/jamming, I've got something you can try that worked for me (or search this forum for "rubber band").

#11504 1 year ago

Hey guys,

What pitch should Hobbit be setup at?

Also does the Smaug lock magnet supposed to catch the ball every time before it drops?

A lot of times it grabs but sometimes it does not grab the ball on my machine.

Thanks,
Ted

#11505 1 year ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Hey guys,
Also does the Smaug lock magnet supposed to catch the ball every time before it drops?
Thanks,
Ted

I have mine set at 7.4* at the flippers. My magnet does not always catch the ball.

#11506 1 year ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Hey guys,
Thanks,
Ted

I measure in 3 locations up the center and find that the game is pretty flawlwss at 7.2 degrees.

Flipper power is a real issue.

Set the flipper power so that the ball can make either ramp from either flipper slowly but easily from a cradled positsion.

The ball shouldnt race around the ramp and wireform, but decelerate up the famp and slowly make it back down the wireforms. But it should make it each time.

Too fast and the ball will fly off the wireforms on a strong rebound hit.

#11507 1 year ago

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

#11508 1 year ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Hey guys,
Thanks,
Ted

There are two screws to the right of the Smaug magnet. Loosen and adjust the magnet up a bit so it sits flush.

#11509 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

There are two screws to the right of the Smaug magnet. Loosen and adjust the magnet up a bit so it sits flush.

Thanks man.

#11510 1 year ago

Any experience as to why the Orc mech does not registered pinball contact while playing the game? It pops up fine, all wires look intact and it registers contact on the dedicated matrix switch test.

Thanks much!

#11511 1 year ago
Quoted from ColoradoJordan:

Any experience as to why the Orc mech does not registered pinball contact while playing the game? It pops up fine, all wires look intact and it registers contact on the dedicated matrix switch test.

Just to be clear - Tests - Switches - Dedicated, aren't playfield switches. Tests - Switches - Matrixed, are playfield switches.

In test you may be pushing it just right, or harder, than a ball hitting it in game play. It may need a little adjusting to be more sensitive.

Call jack or jjp and tell him or them to get LTG : ) Back !

#11512 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Just to be clear - Tests - Switches - Dedicated, aren't playfield switches. Tests - Switches - Matrixed, are playfield switches.
In test you may be pushing it just right, or harder, than a ball hitting it in game play. It may need a little adjusting to be more sensitive.
Call jack or jjp and tell him or them to get LTG : ) Back !

Yes sorry I should clarify, when I press the ORC mech while running the Matrix mode it registers fine. Any advice on how to adjust it?

#11513 1 year ago
Quoted from ColoradoJordan:

Any advice on how to adjust it?

This is a MM troll, same thing. The shorter rear leaf blade switch needs to be closer to the longer front one. Adjust as close to the fiberboard spacers between the leaf blades as you can. Finger, thin pliers, leaf blade adjuster.

It might take a tweak or two to get it right. So slightest ball hit triggers it, but vibration doesn't going up and making it fall back down immediately.

Call jack today and tell him you miss LTG : )

DSC00085 (resized).JPGDSC00085 (resized).JPGDSC00173 (resized).JPGDSC00173 (resized).JPG
#11514 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

This is a MM troll, same thing. The shorter rear leaf blade switch needs to be closer to the longer front one. Adjust as close to the fiberboard spacers between the leaf blades as you can. Finger, thin pliers, leaf blade adjuster.
It might take a tweak or two to get it right. So slightest ball hit triggers it, but vibration doesn't going up and making it fall back down immediately.
Call jack today and tell him you miss LTG : )
[quoted image][quoted image]

I love all the help on this forum. Thank you.

#11515 1 year ago

Lloyd is the best.

#11516 1 year ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Lloyd is the best.

Lloyd is amazing and has been for many years on this and other pin sites. He gives so much of his time and knowledge. Whatever reason JJP let him go makes no sense. And he still helps out on this thread which I think is ultra classy!

#11517 1 year ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Lloyd is amazing and has been for many years on this and other pin sites. He gives so much of his time and knowledge. Whatever reason JJP let him go makes no sense. And he still helps out on this thread which I think is ultra classy!

So they could afford the "custom" cake topper figures for Toy Story games.

#11518 1 year ago

Anyone know where I can get the equivalent part for the "Microswitch with internal roller actuator" is? Part number 18-3005-01...
This is the beast "pop-up-detect" switch.

I see this one, at PinballLife..
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-ball-detect-blade-with-roller-sub-microswitch.html

This one at Marcos:
w/o Diode... https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5168-00
----> I think this is the one I would need... because there is a diode on the one, now. / Diode: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-12953

#11519 1 year ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Anyone know where I can get the equivalent part for the "Microswitch with internal roller actuator" is? Part number 18-3005-01...
This is the beast "pop-up-detect" switch.
I see this one, at PinballLife..
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-ball-detect-blade-with-roller-sub-microswitch.html
This one at Marcos:
w/o Diode... https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5168-00
----> I think this is the one I would need... because there is a diode on the one, now. / Diode: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-12953

JJP Part Number 18-003005-01
Display Name/Code Microswitch w/Internal Roller Actuator
$2.99 plus shipping
order directly from JJP

#11520 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

JJP Part Number 18-003005-01
Display Name/Code Microswitch w/Internal Roller Actuator
$2.99 plus shipping
order directly from JJP

Thanks.... but that one isn't coming up in the online search.

#11521 1 year ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Thanks.... but that one isn't coming up in the online search.

Thats pretty common with JJP parts.
You have to call direct to order most stuff.

#11522 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Thats pretty common with JJP parts.

its been a while...! I remember now. Thanks.

#11523 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Call Martha

#11524 1 year ago

Hey guys, I have had my hobbit about a week and the Smaug head has been off about 6 times already. I reached out to jjp and no answer a week later. This has been the most frustrating game I have ever owned and my first pin was Sttng!

First the head movement was all messed up (now it’s back again. More on that below) then the jaw servo went (tough to find replacements as that model is discontinued).
Anyways, maybe someone can confirm my diagnosis.

So, head movement is all weird. When it calibrates in start up, moves all the way to the left, comes back about 1/2 way, and has an epileptic episode and stops. Go into test report and it moves back and forth no problem, but, it seems like the far left limit opto isn’t telling it to stop and it isn’t registering everytime. So it does this every time the opto doesn’t register. Would a cold solder joint on that left opto cause this? Or maybe a bad opto? I have reseated the cables on the stepper and the cat5e cable a number on times and thought I had this beat. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I love the game, but, not if you have to be under the hood daily.

Thanks,

Jamie

#11525 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamied:

Hey guys, I have had my hobbit about a week and the Smaug head has been off about 6 times already. I reached out to jjp and no answer a week later. This has been the most frustrating game I have ever owned and my first pin was Sttng!
First the head movement was all messed up (now it’s back again. More on that below) then the jaw servo went (tough to find replacements as that model is discontinued).
So, head movement is all weird. When it calibrates in start up, moves all the way to the left, comes back about 1/2 way, and has an epileptic episode and stops. Go into test report and it moves back and forth no problem, but, it seems like the far left limit opto isn’t telling it to stop and it isn’t registering everytime. So it does this every time the opto doesn’t register. Would a cold solder joint on that left opto cause this? Or maybe a bad opto? I have reseated the cables on the stepper and the cat5e cable a number on times and thought I had this beat. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I love the game, but, not if you have to be under the hood daily.
Thanks,
Jamie

Replace the servo board, its likely cooked.

Although you can also rebuild it.

Maybe get a board and servo from jjp.

Pretty much any similar servo will work if it has metal gears and fits.

Its not a pre programmed part or anything special.

Reflow the optos or just replace them if you are rebuilding the board.

Call JJP!

The ordering website is terrible.

You can also open a ticket.

But you can also call for support.

You can also just unplug Smaug until you collect the parts and enjoy the game. Tons of games have him unplugged lol.

He doesnt actually do anything that affects gameplay.

The flyer ads are a lie lol. He doesn't interact with the ball at all.

Replacing all the parts is somewhat the way to go. Then you have to calibrate it and maybe put a rubber band on the mouth pushrod the keep it snappy.

#11527 1 year ago

<blockquote

cite="#7110395">https://www.hobbytown.com/onyx-s45-standard-metal-gear-servo-onxm0245/p1208203?utm_source=transactional_email&utm_medium=e-mail&utm_campaign=order_complete&utm_cid=5674619&utm_content=%2fonyx-s45-standard-metal-gear-servo-onxm0245%2fp1208203
This is the same spec Servo for Smaugs mouth as the one that is no longer produced

Thank you

#11528 1 year ago

Mundy53 thanks
This is the same spec Servo for Smaugs mouth as the one that is no longer produced

#11529 1 year ago

The jaw servo motors are in stock at JJP

#11530 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Replace the servo board, its likely cooked.
Although you can also rebuild it.
Maybe get a board and servo from jjp.
Pretty much any similar servo will work if it has metal gears and fits.
Its not a pre programmed part or anything special.
Reflow the optos or just replace them if you are rebuilding the board.
Call JJP!
The ordering website is terrible.
You can also open a ticket.
But you can also call for support.
You can also just unplug Smaug until you collect the parts and enjoy the game. Tons of games have him unplugged lol.
He doesnt actually do anything that affects gameplay.
The flyer ads are a lie lol. He doesn't interact with the ball at all.
Replacing all the parts is somewhat the way to go. Then you have to calibrate it and maybe put a rubber band on the mouth pushrod the keep it snappy.

When you say servo board, do you mean the board under Smaug?

Ya, I’m finding JJps site fairly tough to navigate. Also tough when you place an order and the shipping total isn’t presented right away. I tried to open a service ticket but one of the menus wouldn’t open. It’s been a day! Haha Maybe best to call them.

I know that he is mostly aesthetic, but, he is a cool part of the game. For the price of this thing, it needs to be working as close to 100% as a pinball machine can be

#11531 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

The jaw servo motors are in stock at JJP

I saw that they were in stock, tried to order a few and haven’t heard back. As I am horribly impatient, I looked on hobby king to order one and it is listed as discontinued

#11532 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamied:

I saw that they were in stock, tried to order a few and haven’t heard back. As I am horribly impatient, I looked on hobby king to order one and it is listed as discontinued

Email tomorrow [email protected]

#11533 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamied:

When you say servo board, do you mean the board under Smaug?
Ya, I’m finding JJps site fairly tough to navigate. Also tough when you place an order and the shipping total isn’t presented right away. I tried to open a service ticket but one of the menus wouldn’t open. It’s been a day! Haha Maybe best to call them.
I know that he is mostly aesthetic, but, he is a cool part of the game. For the price of this thing, it needs to be working as close to 100% as a pinball machine can be

yes.

For some reason the boards get burned up badly when servos fail, or there is binding in the mech.

get a servo here:

https://www.hobbytown.com/onyx-s45-standard-metal-gear-servo-onxm0245/p1208203?utm_source=transactional_email&utm_medium=e-mail&utm_campaign=order_complete&utm_cid=5674619&utm_content=%2fonyx-s45-standard-metal-gear-servo-onxm0245%2fp1208203

Again, a lot of heat is created when things go wrong, it tears up the little board..

#11534 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

yes.
For some reason the boards get burned up badly when servos fail, or there is binding in the mech.
get a servo here:
https://www.hobbytown.com/onyx-s45-standard-metal-gear-servo-onxm0245/p1208203?utm_source=transactional_email&utm_medium=e-mail&utm_campaign=order_complete&utm_cid=5674619&utm_content=%2fonyx-s45-standard-metal-gear-servo-onxm0245%2fp1208203
Again, a lot of heat is created when things go wrong, it tears up the little board..

Ok, thanks. I will grab a few servos. The one I found at work matches the spec, just a plastic gear instead of metal.

It seems the mouth is moving mostly the way it should. It’s the head movement that is all whacky. I will check that board tomorrow and likely order one. I wonder if that cat5e socket is suspect as well? Not a pile of room to work under that playfield.

#11535 1 year ago

Will do. Thank you

#11536 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamied:

Thanks,
Jamie

I was always wondering on this one : for me in test mode, the opto register fine the end of movement, every time. But at startup of the machine, and only at startup, it seems to try to force when going left, then go back toward the middle. Looks like you have a similar behavior.

Can someone record the normal movement of smaug at power up?

Regards

#11537 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Can someone record the normal movement of smaug at power up?

Call jjp. Tell Pat and jack to get LTG : ) Back !

#11538 1 year ago

OK, so mine absolutely does not do that. It tries to force rotating clockwise but it only does so at startup.

During gameplay, it does not, it seems to register the end of movement optos correctly

It does register them correctly in test mode.

Is there a different behavior code wise at startup vs gameplay? Is the safety mechanism with the optos built in at the smaug control board level, or higher up the control chain? The schematics of the smaug board are not very explicit on that subject

Edit : I take it back, it is explicit, all control is upstream. So unless the optos are not operating correctly only during startup (how can I check that???), I don't understand why it would try to force during startup, but not during gameplay

#11539 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Is there a different behavior code wise at startup vs gameplay?

No.

#11540 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

OK, so mine absolutely does not do that. It tries to force rotating clockwise but it only does so at startup.
During gameplay, it does not, it seems to register the end of movement optos correctly
It does register them correctly in test mode.
Is there a different behavior code wise at startup vs gameplay? Is the safety mechanism with the optos built in at the smaug control board level, or higher up the control chain? The schematics of the smaug board are not very explicit on that subject
Edit : I take it back, it is explicit, all control is upstream. So unless the optos are not operating correctly only during startup (how can I check that???), I don't understand why it would try to force during startup, but not during gameplay

Check to be sure it isn’t touching the ramp to the left. I found that mine was getting hung on that and it looked like it was forcing movement.

#11541 1 year ago

Does the top part of Smaug head move up and down also?

In LTG's video his head looks like it moves up and down a little.

#11542 1 year ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Does the top part of Smaug head move up and down also?
In LTG's video his head looks like it moves up and down a little.

Just the lower jaw

#11543 1 year ago

Thanks Lloyd. That is what I though. But it looked like it moved in your video.

#11544 1 year ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Check to be sure it isn’t touching the ramp to the left. I found that mine was getting hung on that and it looked like it was forcing movement.

Same was happening to mine, hitting / rubbing on ramp...

#11545 1 year ago

So while I'm dismantling smaug head, I found quite a few issues.

I dare say that 'designed for maintenance' is not the first thing that defines 'the hobbit' pinball there are quite a few very fragile wires connecting the RGB PCBs, just next to screws that you need to remove to access the drop target mechs.

So three questions :
- one of the wire on this RGB connector is cut. It will be far easier if i can unplug the connector, however I dare not pull too strongly, there seems to be a lock mechanism which i can't figure out. Any pointer?
- one blocking plastic which 'locks' the drop target in up position is broken and rotates around the rivet (see picture of the part). I assume that to access it I need to remove the drop target, and this is done by removing the small blocking ring on the ring behind the target?
- the arkenstone flasher was not working, checking the wire the pin has been dislodged from it's header. It's the same type of connector than what's on the RGB board it seems. Likewise, I can't unplug it... And I don't want to pull too much. Also, can I hope to reinsert the pin in the header? Or do I need a new header, in which case what is the reference?

[EDIT] Figured out how to remove the drop target in front of the mech. But the plastic part is damaged, I'll attempt some superglue repair. Otherwise I'll have to print a 3D part to replace it and replace the rivet... Lovely...

20220903_195243 (resized).jpg20220903_195243 (resized).jpg20220903_200235 (resized).jpg20220903_200235 (resized).jpg

20220903_203933 (resized).jpg20220903_203933 (resized).jpg

#11546 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamied:

Thanks,
Jamie

So, I talked with Brian from jjp. After running through a few other tests he suggested that maybe the “flag” that interrupts the opto wasn’t deep enough. That’s a good thought and confirms about the behaviour being caused by a missed opto switch. So, optos are fine, no cold solder joints and seems to be working right now. If it does in fact happen again, I will check the flag depth to ensue it’s deep enough to block the light transferred from the opto. If it seems shallow, I will add to it.

#11547 1 year ago

Turned on machine tonight and got this. What does that usually mean I need to do?!

C679238D-7BD1-4DA2-9E91-8F1F461647F4 (resized).jpegC679238D-7BD1-4DA2-9E91-8F1F461647F4 (resized).jpeg

#11548 1 year ago
Quoted from doc5md:

What does that usually mean I need to do?!

Check the goblin head leaf blade switch.

Tests - Switches - Matrixed, push it. If it doesn't register, remove the whole mexh and fix broken wire(s) If it works, Tests - Coils - see if the goblin mech pops up, if not, fix it.

Then call jjp and tell them to get LTG : ) Back !

#11549 1 year ago
Quoted from doc5md:

Turned on machine tonight and got this. What does that usually mean I need to do?!
[quoted image]

The wire might have sheared off the switch.

If thats the case, this thread has some fixes for that.

#11550 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

So while I'm dismantling smaug head, I found quite a few issues.
I dare say that 'designed for maintenance' is not the first thing that defines 'the hobbit' pinball there are quite a few very fragile wires connecting the RGB PCBs, just next to screws that you need to remove to access the drop target mechs.
So three questions :
- one of the wire on this RGB connector is cut. It will be far easier if i can unplug the connector, however I dare not pull too strongly, there seems to be a lock mechanism which i can't figure out. Any pointer?
- one blocking plastic which 'locks' the drop target in up position is broken and rotates around the rivet (see picture of the part). I assume that to access it I need to remove the drop target, and this is done by removing the small blocking ring on the ring behind the target?
- the arkenstone flasher was not working, checking the wire the pin has been dislodged from it's header. It's the same type of connector than what's on the RGB board it seems. Likewise, I can't unplug it... And I don't want to pull too much. Also, can I hope to reinsert the pin in the header? Or do I need a new header, in which case what is the reference?
[EDIT] Figured out how to remove the drop target in front of the mech. But the plastic part is damaged, I'll attempt some superglue repair. Otherwise I'll have to print a 3D part to replace it and replace the rivet... Lovely...
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Anyone would have any advice on how to unplug the RGB board connectors? The cabling is super fragile, I really don't want to try to force

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 231 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/231?hl=reaper802 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.