IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 230 of 260.
#11451 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Does the coil pull in when you go into Tests - Coils ? If not think broken wires or something from coil to I/O board.
LTG : )

No it does not. I can't hear the coil energizing. Time to check the wiring.

#11452 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Raise the playfield all the way and lean it on the backglass.
Stick a ratchet wrench under the mech to hold it up/open while you work if they wont stay open.
If you are nervous, tape the wires out of your way with masking tape.
Hold the plastic insert firmly against the front of the cutout, under the playfield (now the upper part of the cutout, towards the top of the game...) with a heavy thumb.
Use an 8" magnetic extension (or 2 or 3 regular ones stuck together) on a screw gun, and install the screws. No drilling needed.
It helps to pre-load a screw onto the magnetic bit for first screw before starting each one.
Each one took me 2 mins to install.

That is very helpful.
Thanks!

#11453 1 year ago

Just joined the club!

image11 (resized).jpegimage11 (resized).jpeg
#11454 1 year ago
Quoted from dug:

That is very helpful.
Thanks!

Youre welcome!

#11455 1 year ago

All set up and look prrrrrty! Look forward to getting some time on her soon (gotta fix the drop target springs first - they’re on the way).

I’m surprised by how much this machine towers over Alien LV. I was also surprised about how much of a tank this thing is!

C56022AC-0257-414F-BAD2-0E06E472886E (resized).jpegC56022AC-0257-414F-BAD2-0E06E472886E (resized).jpeg
#11456 1 year ago

Nice to see this pin getting the love it deserves. It’s my favorite JJP with GNR a close second

#11457 1 year ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

All set up and look prrrrrty! Look forward to getting some time on her soon (gotta fix the drop target springs first - they’re on the way).
I’m surprised by how much this machine towers over Alien LV. I was also surprised about how much of a tank this thing is!
[quoted image]

I call mine, "My Precious".

#11458 1 year ago

Got mine (new to me Smaug gold edition) out on the floor late last night. Need to level it up and get the incline right; I think it is too shallow right now. Can't wait to dive into it!

#11459 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

No it does not. I can't hear the coil energizing. Time to check the wiring.

And it's the wiring. A wire unsoldered from the coil lug.
Same on the gold smaug flasher actually

Time to solder

#11460 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

There isn’t a good place to grab 5v, the game is all 12v. There might be a USB port that you could tap off, but that’s pretty much it.

So actually, the board I use can go up to 36V DC, so I could use 12V. Now just need to figure out the best place to hook it up under the playfield. I believe there is a 12V power connector at the bottom of the cabinet somewhere, but is there a closer location, like a GI socket for example ? Or is everything RGB leds and no permanent GI bulbs ?

#11461 1 year ago

There is no rgb in the hobbit. Topper connector is the best place to grab 12v. You can also get it at the coindoor connector for the dba.

#11462 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

You can also get it at the coindoor connector for the dba.

I wouldn't do that. Hobbit is 110 VAC. No 12 volts on that 9 pin connector.

For God and country tell jjp to get LTG : ) Back.

#11463 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

I wouldn't do that. Hobbit is 110 VAC. No 12 volts on that 9 pin connector.
For God and country tell jjp to get LTG : ) Back.

wonka and Gnr both have 12v on that connector. hobbit different?

#11464 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

hobbit different?

YES. WOZ and Hobbit are 110 volt AC. Starting with Dialed In and going forward, they changed to 12 volts DC for their games.

Now call jjp and tell them to get LTG : )

#11465 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

I did in the questionnaire, and hopefully everyone else did too. Sure would be some good will that you deserve and JJP needs.

#11466 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

YES. WOZ and Hobbit are 110 volt AC. Starting with Dialed In and going forward, they changed to 12 volts DC for their games.

Err... Even in Europe?

#11467 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Even in Europe?

I'd refer to the manual on that one. I don't know if they step the voltage down to the coin door or not. 220 VAC could be exciting up there.

#11468 1 year ago

I haven’t really modded my Hobbit much, but with my daughter’s paint job, how could I not add BagEnd.

62B14AE5-6112-4A6A-9BC4-6D8DDA1C0136 (resized).jpeg62B14AE5-6112-4A6A-9BC4-6D8DDA1C0136 (resized).jpeg
#11469 1 year ago

Get rid of the spotlights to grab 12v. Looks much better without them.

#11470 1 year ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

Get rid of the spotlights to grab 12v. Looks much better without them.

Interesting take...I may take the bulbs out and see how that looks. I know you can turn up/down the GI but are not able to only turn off the spotlights.

It would be a nice software setting if you can set the spotlights to from 0 (off) - 8 (brightest).

Keith, can you do that for us on the next hobbit build?

#11471 1 year ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Interesting take...I may take the bulbs out and see how that looks. I know you can turn up/down the GI but are not able to only turn off the spotlights.
It would be a nice software setting if you can set the spotlights to from 0 (off) - 8 (brightest).
Keith, can you do that for us on the next hobbit build?

I switched my spotlight bulbs to sunlight color, but I'd never take them out or turn them off - that's crazy talk!

#11472 1 year ago

Maybe you fellas could answers question for me.

Does the LE come with a certificate from Jersey Jack stating what number you have like the Smaug Edition does?

Thanks.

#11473 1 year ago

Yes

Quoted from teddyb73:

Maybe you fellas could answers question for me.
Does the LE come with a certificate from Jersey Jack stating what number you have like the Smaug Edition does?
Thanks.

#11474 1 year ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

I switched my spotlight bulbs to sunlight color, but I'd never take them out or turn them off - that's crazy talk!

Yeah. Mine are sunlight (aka warm whites) bulbs as well. I think that fits the look better than the cool whites.

#11475 1 year ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Yeah. Mine are sunlight (aka warm whites) bulbs as well. I think that fits the look better than the cool whites.

Sunlight is more blue than warm white but less blue than cool white in Comet vernacular

#11476 1 year ago

Asking for a friend, what are those unused connectors inside the cabinet ? Some look like ATX HDD connectors, which i can understand if there are some spare, but there's a three pin connector with green and white, black wire, and a two pin with blue.

I seem to recall blue is the 12V power plug for the topper ?

295923757_652259042408506_8341759279432321966_n (resized).jpg295923757_652259042408506_8341759279432321966_n (resized).jpg297370888_813119796525695_6063655903541639789_n (resized).jpg297370888_813119796525695_6063655903541639789_n (resized).jpg297565009_481939237107561_2559427683617220925_n (resized).jpg297565009_481939237107561_2559427683617220925_n (resized).jpg
#11477 1 year ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

Thanks.

Yep , don't leave it lying around so your dog can eat it

IMG_20220810_214059 (resized).jpgIMG_20220810_214059 (resized).jpg
#11478 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

[quoted image]

If you need a copy I can copy mine and you can blend them on your scanner.

#11479 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

If you need a copy I can copy mine and you can blend them on your scanner.

Thanks mate , sadly my Hobbit has left and the new owner didn't ask about it , so I didn't mention it
He knew he was a naughty boy , but how could I get angry at that face .

IMG_20220810_221913 (resized).jpgIMG_20220810_221913 (resized).jpg
#11480 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

[quoted image]

Sorry about that. I contacted Jersey Jack to see if I can get a copy made for mine.

#11481 1 year ago

Quick question about changing free play to credits. It seems the pin keeps adding credits when I go from free play to credits and back and forth. Is there a way for it to be zero credits when going from free play to credits?

It’s a pain to hit start and play, start and play, etc etc until I run 10 credits out.

#11482 1 year ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It’s a pain to hit start and play, start and play, etc etc until I run 10 credits out.

Hit Enter - Go To Full Menu - Scroll down to Resets - Hit Enter - Hit Enter - Hit Enter - Hit Start Button to confirm. Escape out to attract mode.

No idea why it adds credits when you switch, I've never seen that.

#11483 1 year ago

This is a unrelated question to the above recent posts, but I am requesting help: If one looses the duplicate keys to the backbox lock (damn grandkid), what are my options? Call a locksmith & replace the lock, or drill out the lock & replace it? If you drill out the lock, what size bit do you use & how hard is it? Where does one get a replacement lock? On Amazon?

*** I also got a survey from JJP asking where I got info about my LE Hobbit's problems, remedies & repairs. I replied: "THE HOBBIT OWNERS THREAD on Pinside, esp., LTG!" What's admirable about LTG, he's still assisting on our thread & his replies are immediate, usually within 24 hrs. Thank you LTG!!!

#11484 1 year ago
Quoted from docdeath:

This is a unrelated question to the above recent posts, but I am requesting help: If one looses the duplicate keys to the backbox lock (damn grandkid), what are my options? Call a locksmith & replace the lock, or drill out the lock & replace it? If you drill out the lock, what size bit do you use & how hard is it? Where does one get a replacement lock? On Amazon?
*** I also got a survey from JJP asking where I got info about my LE Hobbit's problems, remedies & repairs. I replied: "THE HOBBIT OWNERS THREAD on Pinside, esp., LTG!" What's admirable about LTG, he's still assisting on our thread & his replies are immediate, usually within 24 hrs. Thank you LTG!!!

I had the issue on a coin door , a 10 mil bit straight through the middle should be more than enough , they are easily available , just google.it .
I looked up , pinball coin door ball lock .

IMG_20220814_034708 (resized).jpgIMG_20220814_034708 (resized).jpg
#11485 1 year ago

Is there some proper way to clear a stuck ball without losing the ball you’re on? Tonight I had a multiball going when one ball got stuck win with a monster as it dropped back into the table. It didn’t lay flat and another ball hit it and went airborne and landed up with Smaug!
I lost everything in trying to clear the mess.
Lol

#11486 1 year ago
Quoted from doc5md:

Is there some proper way to clear a stuck ball without losing the ball you’re on?

Quick before the game launches another ball. Open coin door and leave open, pull the glass back, remove ball and stick in the shooter lane. Put glass and lockdown bar back.

As soon as you close the door it will shoot the ball into play.

#11487 1 year ago

Thanks LTG
JJP, Get LTG back!

#11488 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Quick before the game launches another ball. Open coin door and leave open, pull the glass back, remove ball and stick in the shooter lane. Put glass and lockdown bar back.
As soon as you close the door it will shoot the ball into play.

And here I was placing the ball onto a cradled Flipper and putting the glass and lock down bar back one-handed

#11489 1 year ago

I usually move the glass down far enough to clear the trap, and then drop the ball in one of the VUK holes. It pops back out as soon as you close the coin door -> continue play.

#11490 1 year ago

Any way/adjustment to reduce ball reject on the right hole (shot from the left bottom flipper)?

It happens to me quite often, more than half of the time

Thanks

#11491 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Any way/adjustment to reduce ball reject on the right hole (shot from the left bottom flipper)?
It happens to me quite often, more than half of the time
Thanks

Backhand from right flipper. Safest way to make that shot.

#11492 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Agree. The right VUK from the left flipper is actually tougher to make than you may think.

#11493 1 year ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Hmmm, tried that, but the shot is blocked by the slingshot. Need to check it again just to be sure

#11494 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Hmmm, tried that, but the shot is blocked by the slingshot. Need to check it again just to be sure

Let the ball roll out about 1/8" or 1/4" or so from the cradled position, then shoot it.

This works on both sides.

#11495 1 year ago

A couple weeks in of ownership. I find this machine, of all I’ve owned (which is only about 15 - 20 or so), improves my ability more than any other game. If I want to get anywhere, I MUST be able to control, aim and shoot. Exception being: keep multiball alive long enough to make accidental progress (which is a feature I sometimes like). I love the variety of the modes. I’ve made it to Into the Fire a few times. But no further. Still figuring it out. Haven’t read (usually don’t like to until much time has passed) any rules. I am very happy I picked this up FINALLY!

#11496 1 year ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

A couple weeks in of ownership. I find this machine, of all I’ve owned (which is only about 15 - 20 or so), improves my ability more than any other game. If I want to get anywhere, I MUST be able to control, aim and shoot. Exception being: keep multiball alive long enough to make accidental progress (which is a feature I sometimes like). I love the variety of the modes. I’ve made it to Into the Fire a few times. But no further. Still figuring it out. Haven’t read (usually don’t like to until much time has passed) any rules. I am very happy I picked this up FINALLY!

I think the game is such a great experience and has the best atmosphere in Pinball .
Make sure you have a subwoofer connected .

#11497 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I think the game is such a great experience and has the best atmosphere in Pinball .
Make sure you have a subwoofer connected .

Is there a line out in the machine for subwoofer or external Amp?

#11498 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Is there a line out in the machine for subwoofer or external Amp?

Yep

IMG_20220820_151556 (resized).jpgIMG_20220820_151556 (resized).jpg
#11499 1 year ago

Thanks for the pointer, I'll take a look.

On another note, my LED Bag board (is that how's it's called?) sometimes hangs, all lights frozen. Someone mentioned a current pull from the dragon mouth servo that could cause this problem, but I paid close attention and when this happens is not necessarily when the mouth is activated. It's rather random, could not figure out a pattern. It was fine for quite a few dozen games, then all of sudden I get it every 10 games or so.

So questions:
- is there a way to reset the board without power cycling? Maybe a reset header to which I could wire a switch?
- what can cause the Bag board to hangs like this? I have an oscilloscope, I could measure and trigger but need to get advice on which signal to monitor.

Thanks

#11500 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Thanks for the pointer, I'll take a look.
On another note, my LED Bag board (is that how's it's called?) sometimes hangs, all lights frozen. Someone mentioned a current pull from the dragon mouth servo that could cause this problem, but I paid close attention and when this happens is not necessarily when the mouth is activated. It's rather random, could not figure out a pattern. It was fine for quite a few dozen games, then all of sudden I get it every 10 games or so.
So questions:
- is there a way to reset the board without power cycling? Maybe a reset header to which I could wire a switch?
- what can cause the Bag board to hangs like this? I have an oscilloscope, I could measure and trigger but need to get advice on which signal to monitor.
Thanks

It's Smaug's mouth. Your closed mouth setting is too aggressive and he is constantly smashing his teeth together when not speaking causing that servo to draw tons of current all the time and creating lots of heat in the board. Measure the current draw off the servo with his mouth closed if you want further evidence. Otherwise just relax his close position until the servo isn't binding. If this has been wrong for too long, your BAG board may also be damaged at this point. A friend had success just unplugging Smaug entirely.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 25.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 230 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/230?hl=reaper802 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.