IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 227 of 260.
#11301 1 year ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I have 5 games running scorbit. It is fun and easy. You can easily create a display for your gameroom tv that tracks what is going on and high scores via scorbit as well. If you have JJP games it is a no brainer.

How do you hook up a TV?

#11302 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

How do you hook up a TV?

I connected via my computer.
The Scorbit scoreboard is a webpage.

#11303 1 year ago

Hobbit and Woz Extended Play Coil Cooler kits back in stock!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1391-ravspec

3fea758353bb2213224bb084ba282cd49ed4afc4 (resized).jpeg3fea758353bb2213224bb084ba282cd49ed4afc4 (resized).jpeg
#11304 1 year ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1391-ravspec[quoted image]

Got my tracking number! Pumped to get em installed!

#11305 1 year ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Got my tracking number! Pumped to get em installed!

Thanks for the purchase! Should be there soon, you are going to love them.

#11306 1 year ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

Thanks for the purchase! Should be there soon, you are going to love them.

Its truly worth it!

#11307 1 year ago

A couple of years ago - I had some trouble with my Goblin pop-up not working (though it really really tries to work). I ordered a new coil and replaced. It really hasn't had any issues for some time. At the time, I emailed JJP and asked them... They responded with the following: "Have you tried the coil settings and seen where it is set? Possibly a bad connection at soldered posts or at the I-O board. Also check the assembly and the switches and use the switch test and see if it could be an issue. Alignment is another factor in the smoothness of its' operation. Moving the unit by hand is not a good way to test either. It could be a lengthy process to get it right. All in all try these items and get back with me."

So, I have looked at this, plugged / unplugged / etc... I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Mechanically (by hand) it's smooth as butter... I changed the sleeve, nothing seems to be binding etc... What else could make it NOT pop up?

So frustrating... Right now I am tempted to just buy another coil.

#11308 1 year ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

A couple of years ago - I had some trouble with my Goblin pop-up not working (though it really really tries to work). I ordered a new coil and replaced. It really hasn't had any issues for some time. At the time, I emailed JJP and asked them... They responded with the following: "Have you tried the coil settings and seen where it is set? Possibly a bad connection at soldered posts or at the I-O board. Also check the assembly and the switches and use the switch test and see if it could be an issue. Alignment is another factor in the smoothness of its' operation. Moving the unit by hand is not a good way to test either. It could be a lengthy process to get it right. All in all try these items and get back with me."
So, I have looked at this, plugged / unplugged / etc... I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Mechanically (by hand) it's smooth as butter... I changed the sleeve, nothing seems to be binding etc... What else could make it NOT pop up?
So frustrating... Right now I am tempted to just buy another coil.

If its smooth operating and drops like a rock by hand its ok mechanically. There should be ZERO binding in the black metal track assembly.

If it starts and then drops immediately, the leaf switch gap is too close behind the character head..

If it wont operate at all in test, a wire is off or broken or disconnected.

Its usually not the coils.

#11309 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

If its smooth operating and drops like a rock by hand its ok mechanically. There should be ZERO binding in the black metal track assembly.
If it starts and then drops immediately, the leaf switch gap is too close behind the character head..
If it wont operate at all in test, a wire is off or broken or disconnected.
Its usually not the coils.

It kinda tries - It floats a bit. You can see it come up - like a mm. It moves.
And when the ball finder triggered - it popped right up (once).
Hell - it seems like the leav switch is TOO FAR - you really have to smack it to get the hit to register.

I'd agree - it shouldn't be the coil...

#11310 1 year ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

There are two new jjp guys that post on Pinside. They should be in here helping you.

It ain't the coil.

LTG : )

#11311 1 year ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Hell - it seems like the leav switch is TOO FAR - you really have to smack it to get the hit to register.

Does it work properly in test?

Do the switches operate properly in test?

Check the big stop nut/bolt at the bottom of the mech.

Adjust it so that the metal flap on top just barely hits the surface of the playfield and rests evenly.

#11312 1 year ago

Its truly worth it!

Agreed, there was no flipper fade on a long game yesterday. For those who are on the edge about it I say it is a really good mod. I went the DIY route but the package from Slapdrain looks like good quality and has all you need for a quick install. I simply enjoy the challenge of making my own when possible....

20220510_184518 (resized).jpg20220510_184518 (resized).jpg20220510_184525 (resized).jpg20220510_184525 (resized).jpg20220510_184558 (resized).jpg20220510_184558 (resized).jpg

#11313 1 year ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

Agreed, there was no flipper fade on a long game yesterday. For those who are on the edge about it I say it is a really good mod. I went the DYI route but the package from Slapdrain looks like good quality and has all you need for a quick install. I simply enjoy the challenge of making my own when possible....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I was looking for a compact easy to install cooling solution.

This was it!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1391-ravspec/06825-extended-play-coil-coolers-jjp-the-hobbit

Super easy to install and very high quality.

Flipper fade has reduced to non-existent.

It only took me 15 mins to install it, its very easy.

#11314 1 year ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

I have yet to experience "flipper fatigue" in my LE Hobbit, unlike with Stranger Things & Pirates of the Caribbean.

Trumpanche & other Pinsiders: Have you had "flipper fatigue" with your Hobbits?

The advertised Extended Play Coil Cooler Kits appear as an excellent mod @ a very reasonable price. Should one purchase it as an safeguard? I assume the power supply is 12v.

#11315 1 year ago
Quoted from docdeath:

I have yet to experience "flipper fatigue" in my LE Hobbit, unlike with Stranger Things & Pirates of the Caribbean.
The advertised Extended Play Coil Cooler Kits appear as an excellent mod @ a very reasonable price. Should one purchase it as an safeguard? I assume the power supply is 12v.

Flipper fade is real with Hobbit. I noticed it after 30-40 minutes
Cooling fans make a huge difference.

#11316 1 year ago
Quoted from docdeath:

I noticed it in the mini wizard modes when I start to struggle with backhanding the ramps; otherwise I don’t find it affecting gameplay. I have had PinMonk fans on my bottom flippers for a while now but the brackets are sort of rigged and aren’t ideal. PinMonk is working on some universal JJP brackets. Hopefully he’ll release them soon - I want them for Wonka!

#11317 1 year ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Definitely get them. Its a high quality product and easy to install.

Hobbit is a heavy multiball usage game.

Adding mode balls guarantees lots of 5 or 6 ball multiballs.

Flipper fade is noticeable after about 25 mins of play, whereas earlier in the game the flippers had tons of power, a new mulitball will have less and less power to the point that balls are harder to make the ramps. This is especially noticeable during Smaug multiball and ITF modes where you have to make the ramps a lot to clear the mode. After than you get Barrel Escape where you need to make the ramps again, and so on.

Adding the coolers gives consistent power enough to make the ramps properly even after 45 mins of play.

The power on these fans comes nearly directly off the transformer, there is little to no effect on the game.
Its not just patched into a GI socket like a lot of the silly mods.

#11318 1 year ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

Is the power source 12v?

#11319 1 year ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Is the power source 12v?

yes they are 12v.

#11320 1 year ago

Definitely get them. Its a high quality product and easy to install.
Hobbit is a heavy multiball usage game.
Adding mode balls guarantees lots of 5 or 6 ball multiballs.
Flipper fade is noticeable after about 25 mins of play, whereas earlier in the game the flippers had tons of power, a new mulitball will have less and less power to the point that balls are harder to make the ramps. This is especially noticeable during Smaug multiball and ITF modes where you have to make the ramps a lot to clear the mode. After than you get Barrel Escape where you need to make the ramps again, and so on.
Adding the coolers gives consistent power enough to make the ramps properly even after 45 mins of play.
The power on these fans comes nearly directly off the transformer, there is little to no effect on the game.
Its not just patched into a GI socket like a lot of the silly mods.

Pinballinreno: My above post was posted without reading your response carefully about power supply. Thank you for your rseponse. My bad!

#11321 1 year ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

yes they are 12v.

What's your real international shipping rate?
Currently showing 9999$

#11322 1 year ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

What's your real international shipping rate?
Currently showing 9999$

Send me a PM with your address and Ill get you a quote.

#11323 1 year ago

Apologies if this has been asked and answered but didn't find anything in this topic. When I pull out the Playfeild the support arms are to wide to sit on the latch bar support. The right side 'falls' off and rests on the shooter rod. The first set of rubber feet on the arms are inline and fit but the last two do not. I checked the make sure the arms where not bowed or loose but everything is solid. When looking at where the back right arm is attached compared to the left it is closer to the edge of the Playfeild causing the arms to be wider more towards the back. There is a led that is in the way of moving the right back arm in (to the left) so assume this is the reason. Wanted to see if others have this issue and if so what they do to support the Playfeild when fully extended. If I try to just use the front wood of the cabinet the Playfeild just slides back and then resting on the shooter rod.

#11324 1 year ago
Quoted from abjr:

Apologies if this has been asked and answered but didn't find anything in this topic. When I pull out the Playfeild the support arms are to wide to sit on the latch bar support. The right side 'falls' off and rests on the shooter rod. The first set of rubber feet on the arms are inline and fit but the last two do not. I checked the make sure the arms where not bowed or loose but everything is solid. When looking at where the back right arm is attached compared to the left it is closer to the edge of the Playfeild causing the arms to be wider more towards the back. There is a led that is in the way of moving the right back arm in (to the left) so assume this is the reason. Wanted to see if others have this issue and if so what they do to support the Playfeild when fully extended. If I try to just use the front wood of the cabinet the Playfeild just slides back and then resting on the shooter rod.

Mine does the same thing. I am thinking I may have to remove and slightly bend it to get the right side to sit flush.

#11325 1 year ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Hey y'all - FWIW - I swapped the coil, hoping the problem would move with the coil. But it didn't. All the switches would register during test. But here was the interesting thing. When I would pull any beast upward in switch test.... (with my hands) the "BEAST UP" switch would light and stay lit during test. But when I grabbed the beast I was having problems with, and pulled it up... It was like - glitchy (would sometimes light, sometimes not). So, I simply bent the leaf spring to make it register every time. Once I did this - the beast worked perfectly and has been ever since ... So - All good!

#11326 1 year ago

Those leaf switches have to be just right. They typically hold for quite a while, but when they start acting up again you will know what adjustments you will need to get it back to good again.

#11327 1 year ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Hey y'all - FWIW - I swapped the coil, hoping the problem would move with the coil. But it didn't. All the switches would register during test. But here was the interesting thing. When I would pull any beast upward in switch test.... (with my hands) the "BEAST UP" switch would light and stay lit during test. But when I grabbed the beast I was having problems with, and pulled it up... It was like - glitchy (would sometimes light, sometimes not). So, I simply bent the leaf spring to make it register every time. Once I did this - the beast worked perfectly and has been ever since ... So - All good!

Yes, as i mentioned.

1 week later
#11328 1 year ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

yes they are 12v.

If I can't figure out your hook-up power source per the furnished instructions, can't I use a GI 12v source?

#11329 1 year ago
Quoted from docdeath:

If I can't figure out your hook-up power source per the furnished instructions, can't I use a GI 12v source?

The cooler kit gets power from a 4 pin molex connector in the back of the cabinet. A printed color install guide is included with the kit and it really couldn’t be any simpler. If you are having trouble getting it hooked up send me a PM and I’ll be glad to help. You can power the kit anyway you want it’s your game but I can’t offer any support if something goes wrong in that scenario.

#11330 1 year ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

The cooler kit gets power from a 4 pin molex connector in the back of the cabinet. A printed color install guide is included with the kit and it really couldn’t be any simpler. If you are having trouble getting it hooked up send me a PM and I’ll be glad to help. You can power the kit anyway you want it’s your game but I can’t offer any support if something goes wrong in that scenario.

Sorry for my ignorance. I installed fans today according to the provided instructions with ease!! Your mod/fans are professionally made & easy to install. I do have one question: There are three matrix leads to the fans of which only two are used. Why the third?

#11331 1 year ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Sorry for my ignorance. I installed fans today according to the provided instructions with ease!! Your mod/fans are professionally made & easy to install. I do have one question: There are three matrix leads to the fans of which only two are used. Why the third?

For give my ignorance again. The third lead is probably for a third fan for the right upper flipper if one so chooses.

Your mod is fantastic & I recommend it to all hobbit owners!!!

#11332 1 year ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Glad to hear it. I knew you could do it when you had everything and the instructions in front of you.

Quoted from docdeath:

For give my ignorance again. The third lead is probably for a third fan for the right upper flipper if one so chooses.
Your mod is fantastic & I recommend it to all hobbit owners!!!

I make all the jjp wiring kits the same (with 3 fan connectors) well before an order is placed to simplify my process and in order to get the kit in your hands as fast as possible. Woz is a 3 fan game but in the case of The Hobbit i only offer a 2 fan kit. Instead of just having a wasted connector i decided i would include a pigtail for the third unused connector. This can be used as a convenient way to add a low amp 12v always on mod or spotlight to your game. Ive had Woz owners order a 2 fan kit and then use the connector for illumination of the throne room hole.

Thanks for the kind words and I have plenty of kits in stock and ready to ship.

-RavSpec:PlayLonger-

#11333 1 year ago

Hi,

I just noticed my laseriffic hobbit topper was not lit. I am running the most current software. Not sure what to check or if there is a setting that needs to set. I just discovered they are part of cointaker but don't think Melissa can help. Thanks for any support. Martin

#11334 1 year ago

Often, the wire connector comes undone on those toppers, especially on games with shakers.

#11335 1 year ago
Quoted from SlapDrain:

I make all the jjp wiring kits the same

I accidentally bought two Hobbit fan kits. Would I be able to use one in Wonka or Dialed In?

#11336 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

I accidentally bought two Hobbit fan kits. Would I be able to use one in Wonka or Dialed In?

I will send you a pm in the morning to discuss. Just getting home from a long weekend. I have a solution for you.

#11337 1 year ago

Wondered if anyone has seen the green plastic at the rear of the machine start to warp/sag, as seen in my picture below. I'm tempted to try heating it up with a hair dryer or something and seeing if I can reshape/re-attach somehow, but worried I might mess up the paint or something.

The part is very stiff and generally still well-attached to the backboard, but can be somewhat forced up into the proper shape.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

sagging_backdrop_hobbit (resized).jpgsagging_backdrop_hobbit (resized).jpg
#11338 1 year ago
Quoted from ammiller:

Wondered if anyone has seen the green plastic at the rear of the machine start to warp/sag, as seen in my picture below. I'm tempted to try heating it up with a hair dryer or something and seeing if I can reshape/re-attach somehow, but worried I might mess up the paint or something.
The part is very stiff and generally still well-attached to the backboard, but can be somewhat forced up into the proper shape.
Any thoughts? Thanks!
[quoted image]

In case you end up needing a new one:
JJP Part Number 32-000034-00
Display Name/Code Hobbit Back Panel Pillar Sculpture

#11339 1 year ago
Quoted from ammiller:

Any thoughts? Thanks!
[quoted image]

I haven't seen that happen before...I wonder if the coil that drops it overheated somehow (in a test possibly) and melted it some. Either way, I would get a replacement.

#11340 1 year ago
Quoted from ammiller:

Any thoughts? Thanks!
[quoted image]

I'd remove it and heat it in an oven at around 120f then stuff something inside to reshape it to cool.

#11341 1 year ago

I was looking for a compact easy to install cooling solution.
This was it!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1391-ravspec/06825-extended-play-coil-coolers-jjp-the-hobbit
Super easy to install and very high quality.
Flipper fade has reduced to non-existent.
It only took me 15 mins to install it, its very easy.

For you guys looking to cool coils... check out these fans!

B0FAAFA3-1F17-4D9C-B901-6E7543FE4ED4 (resized).jpegB0FAAFA3-1F17-4D9C-B901-6E7543FE4ED4 (resized).jpegEEE39547-B321-4AE6-9129-29EA1DE0AC89 (resized).jpegEEE39547-B321-4AE6-9129-29EA1DE0AC89 (resized).jpeg
#11342 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

For you guys looking to cool coils... check out these fans!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Im taking notes... What is your noise threshold? I should be able to come up with something...

#11343 1 year ago

New Hobbit owner here! Such a great game, I'm loving it.

A few questions:

1. When starting a new game, sometimes there appears to be *no* skill shot active. Is this a bug? I know there is a bonus if you don't manually select your own skill shot, so presumably it should always have something selected.

2. I'm getting a decent number of wireform-spin-outlane-drain issues. I tried adding a little rubber bumper and also tightening the sling rubbers a bit. I tried to understand the wireform re-shaping instructions I saw elsewhere on here, but couldn't quite understand the text. Any easy solutions here?

3. Smaug lock sometimes doesn't magnagrab the ball; NBD, I presume this is a known minor issue with no fix.

4. Back of the holes (esp on the right) seems like it is getting beaten up. Any ideas to protect the rear of those?

5. For anyone with Pinstadiums, curious what you set your UV/flasher lights to trigger off of; I'd like it to be very rare since the purple color is so incongruent.

Thanks!

#11344 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

New Hobbit owner here! Such a great game, I'm loving it.
A few questions:
1. When starting a new game, sometimes there appears to be *no* skill shot active. Is this a bug? I know there is a bonus if you don't manually select your own skill shot, so presumably it should always have something selected.
2. I'm getting a decent number of wireform-spin-outlane-drain issues. I tried adding a little rubber bumper and also tightening the sling rubbers a bit. I tried to understand the wireform re-shaping instructions I saw elsewhere on here, but couldn't quite understand the text. Any easy solutions here?
3. Smaug lock sometimes doesn't magnagrab the ball; NBD, I presume this is a known minor issue with no fix.
4. Back of the holes (esp on the right) seems like it is getting beaten up. Any ideas to protect the rear of those?
5. For anyone with Pinstadiums, curious what you set your UV/flasher lights to trigger off of; I'd like it to be very rare since the purple color is so incongruent.
Thanks!

1. It's probably a lane next to the bottom slings
3. By design. People were complaining about flow and stop and go. If I remember right, they changed it to only attempt a grab on the first ball lock. If the ball is going too fast, it might not stop it.
4. Cliffys

#11345 1 year ago
Quoted from KingBW:

3. By design. People were complaining about flow and stop and go. If I remember right, they changed it to only attempt a grab on the first ball lock. If the ball is going too fast, it might not stop it.
4. Cliffys

What he said

#11346 1 year ago

Thanks, makes sense.

Another qq:

My beast sensors need a little adjustment -- for a couple of them, the pop-out action causes them to quiver forward/backward and activate the 'hit' sensor immediately. Is it better to try to bend the main beast forward? Or the leaf sensor backward? Both? So far I've just tried to stick a flathead screwdriver in there to create more separation. Is that the right approach?

Quoted from KingBW:

4. Cliffys

#11348 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

Is it better to try to bend the main beast forward? Or the leaf sensor backward? Both? So far I've just tried to stick a flathead screwdriver in there to create more separation. Is that the right approach?

I'd pull the mech up and grab the metal carriage with a vice grip so it doesn't fall down into the game.

Then look at if from the side. If the beast head is too close to the front of the game, it will hit the hole going up and drop. The rear leaf blade - put a piece of paper between the blades squeeze them shut pull the paper out. This will clean them. Then the real blade should be close enough so any hit closes the switch, but vibration going up doesn't set it off. I'd grab it with a switch adjuster and try and adjust it as close to the fiber board spacers where it's fastened to the mech.

A little tweaking and you'll be fine.

Let jjp know to get LTG : ) back.

#11349 1 year ago

Loyd,
your still the man in my book!

#11350 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd pull the mech up and grab the metal carriage with a vice grip so it doesn't fall down into the game.
Then look at if from the side. If the beast head is too close to the front of the game, it will hit the hole going up and drop. The rear leaf blade - put a piece of paper between the blades squeeze them shut pull the paper out. This will clean them. Then the real blade should be close enough so any hit closes the switch, but vibration going up doesn't set it off. I'd grab it with a switch adjuster and try and adjust it as close to the fiber board spacers where it's fastened to the mech.
A little tweaking and you'll be fine.
Let jjp know to get LTG : ) back.

I’ve done this a few times. Lloyd is 100 percent correct. Like always.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.50
9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 227 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/227?hl=rhettdr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.