IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 221 of 260.
#11001 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I noticed that the HobbyKing servo (HK15288A Analog Servo BB/MG 9kg / 0.20sec / 51g) is out of stock everywhere or discontinued. This one will substitute...
HobbyKing™ (HK15328A Analog Servo BB/MG 10.3kg / 0.21sec / 58g)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalogsearch/result/?q=HK15328A%20Analog%20Servo

Thanks for the servo suggestion! I just finished installing a new PCB plus one of these servos I just got in the mail from Hobby King today and Smaug’s mouth moves again. I played a game and I’m second guessing selling Hobbit LOL

#11002 2 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

Oh, brain fart. You are right, you don't press the action button to shuffle modes (it's the flippers). Yeah, I don't mind looking at the book for my next shot if I need the info. The game does a pretty good job of lighting the shot needed for modes.
I just wonder if the apron screen is a nice upgrade. If anyone finds it useful and likes the addition. I've only had less than 5 plays on the JJP Pirates that had one and I don't recall ever looking at it.

I'd really like to try a POTC-style apron with a screen on it to see how I'd like it. I'm in the camp where the little screen is a little far back for me and takes my eyes off the flippers...

Apron-Mock-1200x800 (resized).jpgApron-Mock-1200x800 (resized).jpg
#11003 2 years ago

I talked with jjp tech support. I had to go into the terms and conditions and go through all the pages which will then opens up the ability to set your wifi and password.

#11004 2 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

I talked with jjp tech support. I hadn't gone into the terms and conditions and go through all the pages which will then opens up the ability to set your wifi and password.

#11005 2 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

I talked with jjp tech support. I had to go into the terms and conditions and go through all the pages which will then opens up the ability to set your wifi and password.

Yes, that was what the exclamation point in the menu was trying to tell you.

#11006 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Yes, that was what the exclamation point in the menu was trying to tell you.

Lol I opened it but backed out as there didn't seem to be much there

#11007 2 years ago

If you start a mode and don't finish it, is the progress saved so you can go back and start where you left off?

#11008 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

If you start a mode and don't finish it, is the progress saved so you can go back and start where you left off?

I don't think you can start a mode a second time. Maybe if you get through all 31 modes and after 'there and back again' you might be able to do a mode again.

#11009 2 years ago

Investigating Smaug's lack of mouth movement. Found at least one issue. Can you spot it? Of course, I don't have a machine screw that size. Bummer. The transistor on the board appears ok. Both legs still attached. Oh also, don't move the mouth by hand by moving its bottom when smaug is installed. You'll bend the actuating arm. I don't know why that was ever suggested earlier.

IMG_20211126_111433266_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20211126_111433266_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20211126_111614134 (resized).jpgIMG_20211126_111614134 (resized).jpgIMG_20211126_113238590_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20211126_113238590_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20211126_113508243 (resized).jpgIMG_20211126_113508243 (resized).jpg

#11010 2 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Thanks for the servo suggestion! I just finished installing a new PCB plus one of these servos I just got in the mail from Hobby King today and Smaug’s mouth moves again. I played a game and I’m second guessing selling Hobbit LOL

At the rate games are appreciating you may not be able to afford one in the future.

#11011 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

I don't have a machine screw that size.

It's in there somewhere. Topside of the playfield where smaug turns, or in the bottom of the cabinet.

A flexible magnet might help.

LTG : )

#11012 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It's in there somewhere

Good point. I will look. QUESTION: There's no end-of-stroke thingies for Smaug's mouth. When I reinstall him in the game, should his mouth be fully opened, or fully closed?

Also, what are the system settings for a super-conservative mouth (where it won't go above its mechanical limits) ?

Thanks for any info! Cheers!

#11013 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It's in there somewhere. Topside of the playfield where smaug turns, or in the bottom of the cabinet.
A flexible magnet might help.

Or in the Subway!!
If not there than it's in the fucking fourth dimension!

#11014 2 years ago

Wait.... That's a stupid question perhaps? Probably fully closed eh? (since there's no EOS switches)

Edit: No it's not a stupid question. There are 2 integer values in the settings for the mouth which would suggest that the mouth should be installed partially opened. But what do I know... Checking manual now.

#11015 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

If not there than it's in the fucking fourth dimension!

Right!? Judging by what had happened to my M.A.N. drop target assembly, I am guessing that this missing screw was missing from the factory.

(that also explains why my Smaug always had a crooked bottom mandible lol)

#11017 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Check out these posts for calibration info

Thanks for the info!

#11018 2 years ago

Bottom left of pf when lifted, where does this go?

Big yellow wires reducing to smaller gauge?

EDIT: It's was too late and dark, and I am apparently blind.

IMG_20211127_210843038_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20211127_210843038_HDR (resized).jpg

#11019 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

[quoted image]

Looks like it goes in the side of Smaug:

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/wp-content/uploads/games/the-hobbit/in-depth-review/292a.jpg

#11020 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

[quoted image]

It goes to Smaug’s stepper motor
CD26FE31-ED76-453F-8AE5-BD64D3F99934 (resized).jpegCD26FE31-ED76-453F-8AE5-BD64D3F99934 (resized).jpeg

#11021 2 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

It goes to Smaug’s stepper motor

Of course it does! Thanks!

#11022 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

Beast mech issues: was recently rebuilt and coil is good, also swapped out for a new one just in case. Took off the spring completely per other recent posts, no help there. Anyone have any idea why this guy would pop up a few times then give up? Notice the pulsing power once he gets up when he does? Appreciate any help anyone could give. My next step will probably be another complete tear down of this one.

Finally got back to this and figured out the problem. The mech was catching the back edge on the way up, creating friction inconsistently. The only thing that looked different was the rubber stopper on the bottom of the mech that controls how low the thing sits when down/closed. I loosened the adjustment nut from the bottom and raised that stop to be similar height as the others, this seems to have cured the problem.

Just sharing in case anyone has similar beast issues down the road as my original video shows.

#11023 2 years ago

TWIPY nominations have started!

It’d be really gratifying to see the ‘Gate at Bag End’ mod nominated for Best New Mod this year. I know Reaper is writing it in for sure haha

https://twipys.com/2021-pre-voting/

95D78D46-0579-4564-A04C-6F96B0D7C9BC (resized).jpeg95D78D46-0579-4564-A04C-6F96B0D7C9BC (resized).jpeg
#11024 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

TWIPY nominations have started!
It’d be really gratifying to see the ‘Gate at Bag End’ mod nominated for Best New Mod this year. I know Reaper is writing it in for sure haha
https://twipys.com/2021-pre-voting/
[quoted image]

The Best New Mod of this year should include two categories: Artistic & Functional. For artistic, good examples for the Hobbit include Bill's Arkenstone Start Button and PinballCharlie's Bag End Dwelling. For functional, Trumpanche's Bag End Gate wins hands down! That mod is soooo simple, yet ingenious. It really changes and adds to excited game play. Thank you Travis, Bill & Chuck.

#11025 2 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if any of you have had issues with the 15-0031-01 Insert RGB LED control boards in this game. On our game the lights under the dwarf drop targets are not working. I've traced the lines back to this board, I checked the connections and everything seems good, I noticed the three LEDs on the board are different than on the other boards throughout the game, the middle LED is red, this stays this way even if just the power is applied to the board. I seem to be having a hard time finding much info on these, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
20211206_102151 (resized).jpg20211206_102151 (resized).jpg

edit: As I am looking at this, I think the leds are indicators for surface mount fuses... may have blown one somehow.

#11026 2 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

Hey everyone,
I'm wondering if any of you have had issues with the 15-0031-01 Insert RGB LED control boards in this game. On our game the lights under the dwarf drop targets are not working. I've traced the lines back to this board, I checked the connections and everything seems good, I noticed the three LEDs on the board are different than on the other boards throughout the game, the middle LED is red, this stays this way even if just the power is applied to the board. I seem to be having a hard time finding much info on these, any ideas would be greatly appreciated![quoted image]

I 'think' that is the BAG board. It seems to control the lights, and I think Smaug too. Anyway, you may need to replace it? Probably need LTG to chime in on this though.

#11027 2 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

Hey everyone,
I'm wondering if any of you have had issues with the 15-0031-01 Insert RGB LED control boards in this game. On our game the lights under the dwarf drop targets are not working. I've traced the lines back to this board, I checked the connections and everything seems good, I noticed the three LEDs on the board are different than on the other boards throughout the game, the middle LED is red, this stays this way even if just the power is applied to the board. I seem to be having a hard time finding much info on these, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
[quoted image]
edit: As I am looking at this, I think the leds are indicators for surface mount fuses... may have blown one somehow.

Have you tried plugging in that molex hanging next to the empty socket?

#11028 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Have you tried plugging in that molex hanging next to the empty socket?

haha, yes. I had them unplugged to try and see if I would get a different result from the onboard LED indicators, which I did not. Like I said in my edit above, I think I blew a surface mount fuse somehow.

#11029 2 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

Hey everyone,
[quoted image]

Okay, I figured this out I think, J102 on this RGB LED board (board A) controls the LEDs under the dwarf targets, as well as LEDs for Smaug, at some point some of these Smaug wires got cut and shorted, the wires were guided over where the ball falls during ball lock, I believe this is when the fuse for this set of outputs blew.

I've ordered some SMD fuses that should work, I'm going to try and replace it, and see if that works or what.

#11030 2 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

As I am looking at this, I think the leds are indicators for surface mount fuses... may have blown one somehow.

Red one indicates a blown fuse.

#11031 2 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Probably need LTG to chime in on this though.

Thank you !

#11032 2 years ago

Has anyone received the beast mold mods from lermods? I'm wondering how they turned out. I haven't seen any talk or pictures so I assume they're still in production phase.

#11033 2 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

Has anyone received the beast mold mods from lermods? I'm wondering how they turned out. I haven't seen any talk or pictures so I assume they're still in production phase.

Still waiting on mine. I should hit up little shop of games and see what's up.

#11034 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Still waiting on mine. I should hit up little shop of games and see what's up.

He finished them last week, in Europe somewhere? They will ship them when they get them I presume.

#11035 2 years ago

Gandalf the Grey, brand new in box. $45 shipped

IMG_6862 (resized).jpgIMG_6862 (resized).jpgIMG_6863 (resized).JPGIMG_6863 (resized).JPG
#11036 2 years ago

Good person alert: spoke with Ken Holland at Jersey Jack and he shipped me a Smaug control board quickly (and cheap). Communication was great, and fast.

Good person alert #2: metahugh was super helpful in assisting me with my Smaug issue.

#11037 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Good person alert: spoke with Ken Holland at Jersey Jack and he shipped me a Smaug control board quickly (and cheap). Communication was great, and fast.
Good person alert #2: metahugh was super helpful in assisting me with my Smaug issue.

Every time I called, service was great and in the early days they warrantied all the parts I needed. When out of warranty in one particular instance, I just paid shipping. I know some threads say different but customer service at JJP has been awesome and glad to here others having the same experience and posting about it..

#11038 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Glad I could help and glad to hear you fixed the issue with your Smaug!

I agree Ken was great to deal with.

#11040 2 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

Pretty sure Lermods isn't in the beast business. I think the Art of Pinball via Little Shop of Games is what you are looking for.

#11041 2 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

Every time I called, service was great and in the early days they warrantied all the parts I needed. When out of warranty in one particular instance, I just paid shipping. I know some threads say different but customer service at JJP has been awesome and glad to here others having the same experience and posting about it..

I’ve had similar experience generally with JJP - very appreciative

#11042 2 years ago

Getting into the spirit

C61725B6-2735-4400-B6D3-E97E86FA7489 (resized).jpegC61725B6-2735-4400-B6D3-E97E86FA7489 (resized).jpegFC8A2444-51E2-4F23-98F9-701F2C1865E5 (resized).jpegFC8A2444-51E2-4F23-98F9-701F2C1865E5 (resized).jpeg
#11043 2 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Getting into the spirit [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hehe nice!!

1 week later
#11044 2 years ago

Smaug Mouth calibration question:
I replaced the servo as instructed in the manual but it was off as I had it up it to like 142 just to get it to start to open. So I took it out and recalibrated it. Should I have my min / max setting at a certain number in the mouth test before booted the game bc as it stands the limits at maxed out (100 and 150 I think). I can unplug Smaug and do the settings if so - I just don’t want to mess up the servo calibration bc the settings in the game are off (mine was supposed to be at 120 and 138). Thanks!

#11045 2 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

Smaug Mouth calibration question:
I replaced the servo as instructed in the manual but it was off as I had it up it to like 142 just to get it to start to open. So I took it out and recalibrated it. Should I have my min / max setting at a certain number in the mouth test before booted the game bc as it stands the limits at maxed out (100 and 150 I think). I can unplug Smaug and do the settings if so - I just don’t want to mess up the servo calibration bc the settings in the game are off (mine was supposed to be at 120 and 138). Thanks!

You need to power the servo before you install the servo horn. Then you know you are at the zero position. From there you can calibrate via the endpoint settings.

#11046 2 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

You need to power the servo before you install the servo horn. Then you know you are at the zero position. From there you can calibrate via the endpoint settings.

Shoot. Thanks. How do I do that? I’m assuming I have to disassemble the thing again and take the horn off? does that also mean I plug in one cable (which?) while disassembled and turn the pin on? Then power off and put on horn and reassemble?

#11047 2 years ago

In the club

hobbit (resized).jpghobbit (resized).jpg
#11048 2 years ago

I will have some simple questions. So far the machine works perfect, no problems that I can tell. Are these plastic screws just to adjust the height of the drop targets? A couple fell out on them and I put them back.

hobbit2 (resized).jpghobbit2 (resized).jpg
#11049 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Are these plastic screws just to adjust the height of the drop targets? A couple fell out on them and I put them back.

Yes. So the drop target is even with the playfield so balls don't hop when hitting one that is down or balls getting stuck because they are too low.

#11050 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. So the drop target is even with the playfield so balls don't hop when hitting one that is down or balls getting stuck because they are too low.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.50
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 221 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/221?hl=bendit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.