20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 215 of 260.
#10701 2 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

I want those Blades. Never seen them

I'll ask the seller if he knows where they came from...

#10702 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

No... I'm curious about it, but something about it puts me off... not sure I'd like a playfield that's constantly doing stuff... would like to play one though to experience it.

You need to experience in home envierment
And play several games to get flow and an understanding of the game!
Hands down the best theme integrated game ever!!!!

#10703 2 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

You need to experience in home envierment

You're talking about Multimorphic now?

#10704 2 years ago

I really do intend the thin the heard, to at the most half! it's got beyond ridiculous... promised myself I wouldn't buy any more, but found it hard to resist this one... deep down I knew I was lying to myself anyway

Thanks! Looking forwards to getting to grips with this game!

At this point you may as well see how high the number can go

#10705 2 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

At this point you may as well see how high the number can go

Crazy as it may sound, despite being in almost total gridlock with only very limited floor space to set any games up, I have a strange liking for the madness! Must resist!

#10706 2 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

I want those Blades. Never seen them and I've literally spent hours googling blades for my Hobbit on multiple occassions. Also tried buying gold blades with black chrome, gold decals mixes with other art etc... and no one will sell me a mixed n matched set .
I want.

Here you go:
https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/6442/s/mirror-blades-for-jersey-jack-pinball-the-hobbit-spiegelblech/

#10707 2 years ago

My spider pop up does a stutter before popping up ie. pops up about a 1/4", drops down then pops all the way up - don't see any of the other pop ups do that with the exception of the goblin occasionally. Is that indicative of a coil problem?

#10708 2 years ago
Quoted from EmptyLogic:

My spider pop up does a stutter before popping up ie. pops up about a 1/4", drops down then pops all the way up - don't see any of the other pop ups do that with the exception of the goblin occasionally. Is that indicative of a coil problem?

Check the stop nut at the bottom of the mech and maybe widen the gap in its leaf switch.

While looking at it verify if any wires are loose or crimped or missing insulation from rubbing.

the stop nut adjustment is to set the height of the door flap until its level with the playfield surface.

#10709 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Check the stop nut at the bottom of the mech and maybe widen the gap in its leaf switch.
While looking at it verify if any wires are loose or crimped or missing insulation from rubbing.
the stop nut adjustment is to set the height of the door flap until its level with the playfield surface.

Thanks - the update switch i see is towards the top of the mech not by the stop nut, nearer to the playfield. I adjusted the stop nut, raising the mech slightly and it seemingly helped one of the mechs after testing though (not sure if it truly did)- the other still having issues

no other loose or crimped wires to note.

This is what it’s doing - https://streamable.com/nrdw3w

#10710 2 years ago
Quoted from EmptyLogic:

Thanks - the update switch i see is towards the top of the mech not by the stop nut, nearer to the playfield. I adjusted the stop nut, raising the mech slightly and it seemingly helped one of the mechs after testing though (not sure if it truly did)- the other still having issues
no other loose or crimped wires to note.
This is what it’s doing - https://streamable.com/nrdw3w

Yes the switch is at the top behind the character head.

From the video it looks very much like the leaf switch gap has to increase.
The wobbling of the head is fooling the game into thinking it was struck by a ball.

You can see the leaf switch behind the head if you manually raise the mech.

Bend the gap open further.

Also see if the head is hitting the lip of the playfield.
This makes it wobble more and give false switch closures.

#10711 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Yes the switch is at the top behind the character head.
From the video it looks very much like the leaf switch gap has to increase.
The wobbling of the head is fooling the game into thinking it was struck by a ball.
You can see the leaf switch behind the head if you manually raise the mech.
Bend the gap open further.
Also see if the head is hitting the lip of the playfield.
This makes it wobble more and give false switch closures.

Thanks for your help! I took both mechs off - adjusted the stop nut and the leaf switch - working as it should now. Appreciate the support

#10712 2 years ago
Quoted from EmptyLogic:

Thanks for your help! I took both mechs off - adjusted the stop nut and the leaf switch - working as it should now. Appreciate the support

youre very welcome!

#10713 2 years ago

Can someone please tell me the build date from when the creature ball catch fix (spring?) started to be preinstalled in the machines? I might get another TH and would like one with the fix preinstalled on the machine (my previous one didn’t have it and it bugged me a lot).

Thank you in advance!

#10714 2 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Can someone please tell me the build date from when the creature ball catch fix (spring?) started to be preinstalled in the machines? I might get another TH and would like one with the fix preinstalled on the machine (my previous one didn’t have it and it bugged me a lot).
Thank you in advance!

Not sure, but pretty sure the BA's all have all the fixes, ramp flap and mech ball traps.

#10715 2 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Thank you in advance!

I'm not 100% certain -- but I thought Black Arrow editions came with this fix from the factory (including upgraded ramp flaps and left habit trail). Not sure on the LEs.

#10716 2 years ago

I saw a mod someone made for the bag end shot which adds a one way gate to help keep the ball diverting to the third flipper but the fact that it looks like a binder clip turned me off especially at $50 shipped. This cost me next to nothing to print and I used an old coat hanger. The rock look blends in a touch better in my opinion. That said if you don’t have the means to make your own the binder clip version still adds a great feature which surely should have been implemented by the factory. Way more third flipper gameplay with it on.

Sharing in case it inspires some other ideas.
C71B6C26-3B87-424F-9277-3B92D5D1E916 (resized).jpegC71B6C26-3B87-424F-9277-3B92D5D1E916 (resized).jpeg

#10717 2 years ago
Quoted from EmptyLogic:

I saw a mod someone made for the bag end shot which adds a one way gate to help keep the ball diverting to the third flipper but the fact that it looks like a binder clip turned me off especially at $50 shipped. This cost me next to nothing to print and I used an old coat hanger. The rock look blends in a touch better in my opinion. That said if you don’t have the means to make your own the binder clip version still adds a great feature which surely should have been implemented by the factory. Way more third flipper gameplay with it on.
Sharing in case it inspires some other ideas.
[quoted image]

This “rocks”! Binder clip versions (hidden by Chuck’s Bag End lighted mod) are still available for those less savvy haha!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1305-trumpanche-mods/04739-gate-at-bag-end-mod-for-the-hobbit

#10718 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

This “rocks”! Binder clip versions (hidden by Chuck’s Bag End lighted mod) are still available for those less savvy haha!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1305-trumpanche-mods/04739-gate-at-bag-end-mod-for-the-hobbit

hey you're the guy - lol - thanks for the inspiration

#10719 2 years ago

Hobbit has arrived and looking good!!! but not sounding too great! A couple of things that seems a bit off:

1) There's a whistling/screeching sound, like a badly tuned radio, coming from the speakers... during gameplay it's not so noticeable due to the other sounds drowning it out, but during quieter moments it can still be heard.

2) When the drop targets re-set theres a kind of 'rasping' sound, which I think is also coming from the speakers... maybe just the one in the cab... this sound seems to be closer to the front of the game... it's quite loud and pretty unpleasant...

Are either of these things known issues with known solutions? If so, can someone enlighten me to what the solutions are?

Thanks a lot for any help!!

#10720 2 years ago

Hobbit has arrived and looking good!!! but not sounding too great! A couple of things that seems a bit off:
1) There's a whistling/screeching sound, like a badly tuned radio, coming from the speakers... during gameplay it's not so noticeable due to the other sounds drowning it out, but during quieter moments it can still be heard.
2) When the drop targets re-set theres a kind of 'rasping' sound, which I think is also coming from the speakers... maybe just the one in the cab... this sound seems to be closer to the front of the game... it's quite loud and pretty unpleasant...
Are either of these things known issues with known solutions? If so, can someone enlighten me to what the solutions are?

I'm looking for threads that have referenced sound issues. Start here about 3/4 the way down the page.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments/page/5

Looks like it could possibly be a software issue and also some cable issues. Start with software and update the code if not the latest to rule that out.
I'll keep looking.
r/
Mike

#10721 2 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Start with software and update the code if not the latest to rule that out.

Will check what code I have... thanks for the pointer!!

#10722 2 years ago

1) sounds like a loose cable
2) sounds normal. It’s startling ‘til you get used to it. 11 drop target bliss haha!

#10723 2 years ago

Will check what code I have... thanks for the pointer!!

Also, make sure you have a ground loop isolator installed.
It plugs into the back of the silver box where the audio cable to the speakers comes out.
The audio cable from the speakers plugs into the ground loop isolator.
r/
Mike

Screenshot_20210915-180123_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210915-180123_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
#10724 2 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Also, make sure you have a ground loop isolator installed.
It plugs into the back of the silver box where the audio cable to the speakers comes out.
The audio cable from the speakers plugs into the ground loop isolator.
r/
Mike[quoted image]

Good call. I had to add one ☝️

#10725 2 years ago

Also, if you have a spare 3.5mm cable to troubleshoot with that would be handy as well. Of course you're looking for loose cables as part of initial troubleshooting.
I'd start with 1. Cable/connection check and software update. 2. install ground loop isolator. 3. replace 3.5mm cables.
r/
Mike

#10726 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Good call. I had to add one ☝️

You got me thinking when you said loose cables remembered my Dialed In. I had to add one and it fixed some noises.
r/
Mike

#10727 2 years ago

Recently picked up a Hobbit LE!

Where has this game been all my life? I'm about 50 games in and I'm not understanding how this is commonly rated last among JJPs (or a lot of machines for that matter).

It has literally caused me to have a knee jerk reaction and dump every Stern I have that doesn't have proper theme integration (imo of course). That's left me with keeping only Mando Prem & JP Prem, which I think are close from a theme integration perspective.

For a newer player like me, the theme & audio capturing you into the game, will allow you to shoot for hours regardless of the playfield. Again, can only speak for myself.

Someone tell me if I'm missing out on another machine like The Hobbit somewhere !

#10728 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

Where has this game been all my life? I'm about 50 games in and I'm not understanding how this is commonly rated last among JJPs (or a lot of machines for that matter).
It has literally caused me to have a knee jerk reaction and dump every Stern I have that doesn't have proper theme integration (imo of course). That's left me with keeping only Mando Prem & JP Prem, which I think are close from a theme integration perspective.
For a newer player like me, the theme & audio capturing you into the game, will allow you to shoot for hours regardless of the playfield. Again, can only speak for myself.
Someone tell me if I'm missing out on another machine like The Hobbit somewhere !

Deadpool.

#10729 2 years ago

Yes! This is on my radar...just trying to figure out how much I'm willing to pay for it considering the Stern prices are increasing.

#10730 2 years ago

Used prices are still relevant.

Hard to find anyone willing to part with one here though.

#10731 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

Dialed In is the best shooting pin I have ever owned for me. Jump on one before everyone realises.

#10732 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

It has literally caused me to have a knee jerk reaction and dump every Stern I have that doesn't have proper theme integration

Exactly. Nothing is like The Hobbit.

#10733 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

Try Willy Wonka.

#10734 2 years ago

Dialed In has great theme integration, but I personally couldn't stand that theme and sold mine a few months later.

JJP POTC is one of the favorites in my collection, although it's prohibitively expensive nowadays.

You mentioned JP Prem - do you have the bootleg software that adds the movie assets? That took the game to another level for me.

Star Trek: TNG has fantastic theme integration. They even got the real cast to do voiceover for the game. A lot of folks are scared to buy one because it can be difficult to maintain. I restored mine myself though, and it was the first pin I've restored. Been working great ever since.

Getaway is a simple and affordable game with awesome theme integration. I never get tired of shifting gears.

#10735 2 years ago

I use my knee to shift.

#10736 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:Recently picked up a Hobbit LE!

I happened upon this thread while contemplating your question. Reality is I literally don't know what theme integration means to be quite honest so I was trying to educate myself.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-games-with-theme-integration-that-creates-a-world-under-glass

#10737 2 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

I happened upon this thread while contemplating your question. Reality is I literally don't know what theme integration means to be quite honest so I was trying to educate myself.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-games-with-theme-integration-that-creates-a-world-under-glass

What's crazy to me is no one even mentions The Hobbit in that post.

Quoted from bbulkley:

Dialed In has great theme integration, but I personally couldn't stand that theme and sold mine a few months later.
JJP POTC is one of the favorites in my collection, although it's prohibitively expensive nowadays.
You mentioned JP Prem - do you have the bootleg software that adds the movie assets? That took the game to another level for me.
Star Trek: TNG has fantastic theme integration. They even got the real cast to do voiceover for the game. A lot of folks are scared to buy one because it can be difficult to maintain. I restored mine myself though, and it was the first pin I've restored. Been working great ever since.
Getaway is a simple and affordable game with awesome theme integration. I never get tired of shifting gears.

Thanks. I'm trying to find a Dialed In, I've been convinced. I played one at the Pinball Museum in Tennessee, but at the time I was new to JJP and wasn't sure what to make of their style. I've since grown to respect it quite a bit.

Yea, I do have JP Premium, no I haven't tried the custom code. I'm usually not into that. To be honest, my favorite thing is to keep a machine as stock as possible, I'm just not into mods all like that. However, I may consider testing that bootleg code out.

#10738 2 years ago

Awesome thanks man!
Appreciate it

Before I order a set could you maybe post another pic of them from further away so I can see them from a better view?
If not no biggie

#10739 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

What's crazy to me is no one even mentions The Hobbit in that post.

Thanks. I'm trying to find a Dialed In, I've been convinced. I played one at the Pinball Museum in Tennessee, but at the time I was new to JJP and wasn't sure what to make of their style. I've since grown to respect it quite a bit.
Yea, I do have JP Premium, no I haven't tried the custom code. I'm usually not into that. To be honest, my favorite thing is to keep a machine as stock as possible, I'm just not into mods all like that. However, I may consider testing that bootleg code out.

The JP alternate audio and video package is 100% awesome. It evokes all the great memories from the movie you don’t get with the Stern assets.

#10740 2 years ago

Does anyone know what 2 screws go into the orc head on the hobbit. And where they are available le. Can't find the manual

#10741 2 years ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

Does anyone know what 2 screws go into the orc head on the hobbit. And where they are available le. Can't find the manual

No but I can find the manual https://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/Hobbit_Manual%203_4%20November%202018.pdf

#10742 2 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Integration is my number one criteria. Nothing is like The Hobbit. LoTR, DP, GnR (concert experience but diff), he’ll even ACDC which is so simple but it just rocks and you rip shots so feels like it’s integrated, someone said Wonka and I was really disappointed with integration- very limited movie and call out clips- but still great game. Indiana Jones isn’t bad integration- that music score gets you going and with pinsound callouts I get into it. And lastly which I haven’t played yet but everyone says it’s so- Alien. Mine is ordered but still waiting…

#10743 2 years ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

Integration is my number one criteria. Nothing is like The Hobbit. LoTR, DP, GnR (concert experience but diff), he’ll even ACDC which is so simple but it just rocks and you rip shots so feels like it’s integrated, someone said Wonka and I was really disappointed with integration- very limited movie and call out clips- but still great game. Indiana Jones isn’t bad integration- that music score gets you going and with pinsound callouts I get into it. And lastly which I haven’t played yet but everyone says it’s so- Alien. Mine is ordered but still waiting…

I agree with AC/DC and credit David Thiel for it

#10744 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

who also did Hobbit and TRON

#10745 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Didn’t know much about what the audio guys do. Watched some cool YouTube’s including one on the other thread with prez by David. Very cool! I def appreciate it more now!

#10746 2 years ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

Didn’t know much about what the audio guys do. Watched some cool YouTube’s including one on the other thread with prez by David. Very cool! I def appreciate it more now!

Did you know there's a documentary about the creation of the machine on the machine?

There's a flipper sequence to activate it, pretty cool watch. Probs in the key posts here. (edit, it's not)

#10747 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Did you know there's a documentary about the creation of the machine on the machine?
There's a flipper sequence to activate it, pretty cool watch. Probs in the key posts here. (edit, it's not)

Nope- sounds cool. I will search for it, thanks

#10748 2 years ago

Hi Hobbit owners! I'm contemplating adding a Hobbit to my lineup but am not able to play one in advance unfortunately. And from speaking with friends who've played it and reading reviews/ratings, it's SO mixed! Seems to be either love, or people getting bored fast. I enjoy a challenge, but have a limit to my patience lol. My other consideration is - there are a lot of mechs that could potentially break down. Are either of these really a concern? Should I stop worrying and just send it?

#10749 2 years ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

Hi Hobbit owners! I'm contemplating adding a Hobbit to my lineup but am not able to play one in advance unfortunately. And from speaking with friends who've played it and reading reviews/ratings, it's SO mixed! Seems to be either love, or people getting bored fast. I enjoy a challenge, but have a limit to my patience lol. My other consideration is - there are a lot of mechs that could potentially break down. Are either of these really a concern? Should I stop worrying and just send it?

I've only had the Hobbit for a few weeks now so I can't speak to long term maintenance issues - though if you read through the posts on this thread its pretty telling that the pop-up beasts tend to have some issues. As does Smaug - My hobbit delivered with the Goblin's hit switch wires severed, so I needed to repair that day one. (I'm the third owner)

Game play-wise - Long ball times, lots and lots of beast pop-ups - lots of modes running simultaneously with balls flying all over the place so it makes it difficult to try to complete book modes while that is going on.. you need to be very strategic when starting modes to do them efficiently. Once you understand how the modes start it does become a lot easier to plot out a successful course towards wizard modes.

I enjoy the game for what it is - if it wasn't the Hobbit - would I still enjoy it? probably not as the beasts pop-ups are constantly popping up and are the primary interactive feature on the table. Though, it is fun to blast them right in the face.. you can get them to disable during Smaug multiball by hitting the ring button after a beast super jackpot - that helps alot

I only have 2 games - Star Wars and Hobbit - ones really fast and typically shorter ball times and the other long with slower game play so it works for me... for now...

My suggestion is just buy one.. play it for a while and move on if need be... don't think you'll be able to appreciate it as much outside of a home setting

#10750 2 years ago
Quoted from EmptyLogic:

My suggestion is just buy one.. play it for a while and move on if need be... don't think you'll be able to appreciate it as much outside of a home setting

It absolutely needs to be at home to remotely experience the greatness of this game. I feel that way with all JJP games, but hobbit especially. It is definitely worth the risk as it captures theme integration and immersion better than any game out there in my opinion.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 215 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/215?hl=screaminr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.