20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 259.
#10501 2 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Hello, I am trying to kill Smaug and have a question. I know there are four levels to it and I think you need to score 6 jackpots on each level, then get a Super Jackpot to level up...
My question is, is there a way to tell what level you're currently on? Like on the display somewhere?

The load the windlance call out tells you when to start trying to hit the exposed drop target after you make the right ramp and launch the ball from the windlance.

#10502 2 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Hello, I am trying to kill Smaug and have a question. I know there are four levels to it and I think you need to score 6 jackpots on each level, then get a Super Jackpot to level up...
My question is, is there a way to tell what level you're currently on? Like on the display somewhere?

The only way I usually get an indication is the first round, you can keep shooting the same shot over and over again to get your 6 jackpots (or however many it is). The second round, it'll stop lighting some shots after you've hit them. The third round, you have to shoot them all I think? And then the DWARF and MAN targets start to light so you know you're getting close to the end and my certain disappointment under pressure. I think the rules sheet describes it more clearly than I can:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet/page/4#post-5735785

#10503 2 years ago
Quoted from MooButt:

It’s not for SDTM rejects, it’s to help get the ball to the upper flipper more often. It still ejects around the gate some times.

Understood. I still think this mod is uncessary, but like any mod it's value is subjective.

#10504 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Understood. I still think this mod is uncessary, but like any mod it's value is subjective.

Its totally unnecessary!

However its a lot of fun added in, especially after having owned the game for seversl years.

It changes it up the gameplay quite a bit.

#10505 2 years ago

I'm having more fun with it already!

#10506 2 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

I do that to all my games! On The Hobbit, don't forget the switch behind the top rubber ring above the pop bumpers. This switch triggers the two upper bumpers and adds a lot of action to the pop bumpers.
Mine were kind of dead until I adjusted that switch.

Quoted from Travahontas:

Interesting! I’m gonna look into this Monday!

Well, I lied - it's Wednesday... BUT I did check out all of my jet bumper area switches and, as DCP described (thanks!), the stand-alone switch that fires the (all three) jets in quick succession was bent WAY out of shape and was pretty difficult to trigger without a direct hit from the flipper.

Sooo, I ran a quick experiment!

1. I adjusted that stand-alone jet bumper switch to a hair trigger
2. I made sure each of my jets were hair triggered (no adjustment needed)
3. I pulled out the Gate at Bag End (literally, you just pull )
4. I did some play testing!
RESULTS: 17 of 20 back down the middle. 3 of 20 to the upper flipper.

5. I put the Gate back in and did some more play testing!
RESULTS: 1 of 20 back down the middle. 19 of 20 to the upper flipper.

Adjusting that switch to be more sensitive didn't have a dramatic impact on my jet bumper action, but I can imagine if someone's is in worse shape than mine, it certainly could...

1 week later
#10507 2 years ago

Here we go again with the misinformation campaign against Hobbit being floaty and dull in this current thread... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-le-vs-metallica-pro/page/2#post-6389577
What did J.J originally print for the pitch for hobbit?

#10508 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Here we go again with the misinformation campaign against Hobbit being floaty and dull in this current thread... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-le-vs-metallica-pro/page/2#post-6389577
What did J.J originally print for the pitch for hobbit?

It probably didn't have the 7+ pitch to make it shoot right. I think originally JJP said 6.7 (or something like that - too low in my opinion). Mine is about 7.3 and is very quick and not at all floaty.

I wouldn't worry about trying to convince the other guy - some folks don't care for The Hobbit - but many others do.

Look at the used prices of the hobbit - it is a solid pin.

#10509 2 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It probably didn't have the 7+ pitch to make it shoot right. I think originally JJP said 6.7 (or something like that - too low in my opinion). Mine is about 7.3 and is very quick and not at all floaty.
I wouldn't worry about trying to convince the other guy - some folks don't care for The Hobbit - but many others do.
Look at the used prices of the hobbit - it is a solid pin.

I just hate B.S. claims like it's floaty and plays terrible etc. because they don't know how to set up a table to play properly! If they don't like the game because of theme or art/sound or rules etc., fine... Then say that!

#10510 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I just hate B.S. claims like it's floaty and plays terrible etc. because they don't know how to set up a table to play properly! If they don't like the game because of theme or art/sound or rules etc., fine... Then say that!

I agree with you . I have played this game is the wild though and gotta say if it’s not tuned in it does suck so……I’m sure that most people’s experience.

#10511 2 years ago
Quoted from SLRage:

gotta say if it’s not tuned in it does suck

All pinball machines play poorly if not set up correctly.

All of them.

#10512 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

All of them.

No doubt. The Hobbits I’ve played in the wild were set up to play too slow and gave the impression that the game played way too slow. Set it up right at home and this puppy sings!

#10513 2 years ago

All of them.

So true I played a Dialed-in at location and I thought the game was really bad even though I heard great things about. A local collector had one and gave it a second chance, and next thing I know I purchase one that’s how good it was.

#10514 2 years ago

I need to give Dialed In another chance. I tried to like it but just couldn’t connect with the theme.

#10515 2 years ago

I’m lucky to have both THE Hobbit and Dialled In……… Dialled In pips the game play IMO as there’s never a dull moment and 2 years on I’m still appreciating it both games. The Hobbit is still without doubt a mega game journey and even if you’re having a low scoring naff game you can concentrate all your efforts on Killing Smaug and still feel smug, brilliant !!!!

#10516 2 years ago

It’s taken nearly a year but I finally reached Battle of the Five Armies! The transition from Stage 1 to Stage 2 <3 <3 I lost all my balls trying to shoot the D :-/

I wish I’d gotten to see Stage 3!

I’m still trying to calm down

Incredible pin.

B5253FC4-A95F-41FA-BEEA-02A25E6EB869 (resized).jpegB5253FC4-A95F-41FA-BEEA-02A25E6EB869 (resized).jpeg
#10517 2 years ago

New Factory Find from JJP on PinballWizard.com. $40, not bad considering how much these get hit. Ordered a set as never plan to sell the game lol.

Screenshot_20210726-140917_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210726-140917_Chrome (resized).jpg

#10518 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

New Factory Find from JJP on PinballWizard.com. $40, not bad considering how much these get hit. Ordered a set as never plan to sell the game lol.

Thanks! I snagged one too.

I had snagged the complete plastic set a while back as well. Great spare parts.

#10519 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

I payed 160.00 for that from J.J.

#10520 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

Nice find!

I bought 2

#10521 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

$24 a piece on JJP website and listed as sold out. Done, even just to have the backup.

#10522 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

Thks for the heads up Panzer, set ordered.

#10523 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

It’s taken nearly a year but I finally reached Battle of the Five Armies! The transition from Stage 1 to Stage 2 <3 <3 I lost all my balls trying to shoot the D :-/
I wish I’d gotten to see Stage 3!
I’m still trying to calm down
Incredible pin.
[quoted image]

I recommend working on "BACKHANDING" the D - W - A - R - F, and trapping as many balls as you can.
It takes so much patience... And accepting that you may lose a ball or two.
I think it's Thorin / D / Thorin / W / Thorin / A / Thorin / R / Thorin / F / Thorin... But I can't recall perfectly.

Then you bash - I think "30 beasts"?
Then I think stage 6 is "Bash 100 Beasts."

If I recall. Once you know how to get there, you can make it fairly easily. Just pick the three easiest modes to do!
Multiball / Easy mode / Collect your dwarves / beast frenzy.

If I make it a priority to get there, and nothing else, I can do it most every game... (Again - this is assuming I try for nothing else).
Enjoy it! Its a fantastic game.

#10524 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

Thanks for the heads up! I ordered one set and seriously considering a second one.

#10525 2 years ago

Why is JJP selling these heads? Why not keep them in inventory when someone would need to replace a broken head months, years from now. I understand selling left over manuals, but parts? It’s a bit unnerving. I’m sure I’m reading more into this and hope all is ok with the co.

#10526 2 years ago

Couldn't get the heads as they wouldn't ship to Canada

#10527 2 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Couldn't get the heads as they wouldn't ship to Canada

Those kanucks might be a sketchy bunch...

Ive seen ice hockey....

#10528 2 years ago

Those kanucks might be a sketchy bunch...
Ive seen ice hockey....

Probably true...

We're sorry

#10529 2 years ago

The Hobbit Pinball Mods - Part 6 - Adding Barrel Legs, Garden Scenery and Painting Metal Brackets

In this video, yes, yet again, we revisit The Hobbit Pinball and add more MODs, adding barrel legs, garden scenery and painting metal brackets.

All this and more in this video...

Video Minutes:
------------------------
0:00-1:55 Intro
1:55-5:30 Laying out all the mods and tools for the game plan
5:30-8:50 Installing barrel legs
8:50-15:25 Installing and painting garden scenery
15:25-18:45 Painting Thorin base
18:45-21:16 Painting Gollum base
21:16-23:37 Final result *Post video update: The paint dried and I cleaned up the over paint and looks way better. I'm a lot happier with the result, now*
23:37-26:28 Outro

#10530 2 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Thanks for the heads up! I ordered one set and seriously considering a second one.

Looking forward to my game's original beasts becoming my emergency backup set when these arrive:

AoP Hobbit Beasts (resized).jpgAoP Hobbit Beasts (resized).jpg

#10531 2 years ago

Had my Hobbit on loan and just got it back so finally installed the bag end mod and Arkenstone start button. Love and love.
E1E24845-A068-4C39-80E7-E66FC7D60E3D (resized).jpegE1E24845-A068-4C39-80E7-E66FC7D60E3D (resized).jpeg

Ps instructions for bag end gate were great and super easy to install. Shout out to Bill for very responsive ans kind help with the Arkenstone start button (couldn’t get the damn old locking ring out)!!

#10532 2 years ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

Had my Hobbit on loan and just got it back so finally installed the bag end mod and Arkenstone start button. Love and love.
[quoted image]
Ps instructions for bag end gate were great and super easy to install. Shout out to Bill for very responsive ans kind help with the Arkenstone start button (couldn’t get the damn old locking ring out)!!

Which size start button did you go with? I can’t decide.

#10533 2 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I still like the 2" on Smaug and the Low Profile on the LE & BA

Quoted from moat-pin:

[quoted image]

Looks great! Glad you like the gate!

#10534 2 years ago

I have one outstanding bug on this machine, occasionally it will kill the flippers during a multiball. It seems to me the likely cause is losing track of ball count, which makes me suspect trough.

Did Hobbit ever have trough board solder joint issues like Wonka?

#10535 2 years ago

If anyone gets the horde pile Arkenstone, it will be loose and flip over unless you put two layers of electrical tape around it below the rim and then cut off any excess so it's flush with the bottom of stone. That will keep it snug in place.
* FYI, on my machine, there was only one screw holding the horde pile LED SMD bracket under the flasher cover - that you remove to install Arkenstone. I had to drill a hole and install a second screw on opposite end of bracket so the Arkenstone sits at correct height in horde pile. Otherwise it falls in too far.

e1cd4ee2e008ccc65e62d884c3bbe626da07fb99 (resized).jpge1cd4ee2e008ccc65e62d884c3bbe626da07fb99 (resized).jpg
#10536 2 years ago

I had a 45 minute stacked multiball going on the first ball and coil for ball kick-out got so hot that the plastic tip on the shaft melted off.

#10537 2 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

2 inch. I think made right decision- its such a big machine/wide body so owning the space with bit bigger one is nice. Prob either would be fine though. Cant believe they didnt include anywhere originally since it is so central to the entire game (and film)

#10538 2 years ago
Capture13 (resized).jpgCapture13 (resized).jpgCapture23 (resized).jpgCapture23 (resized).jpg
#10539 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Pretty big difference .
I still bought the originals for $10.00 a pop though. I might be a tight ass but spending a lot on something that pops up quickly and I fling a high speed ball bearing at seemed a bit excessive.
That said….great job on the upgraded ones!!!!

#10540 2 years ago
Quoted from SLRage:

Pretty big difference .
I still bought the originals for $10.00 a pop though. I might be a tight ass but spending a lot on something that pops up quickly and I fling a high speed ball bearing at seemed a bit excessive.
That said….great job on the upgraded ones!!!!

I bought'em both. The price on the factory finds are just way too good to pass up.

#10541 2 years ago

I know it is somewhere in this thread but for some reason I can’t seem to find it. Can someone confirm the number for the Hobby King servo that controls Smaug’s mouth. Please and thank you.

#10542 2 years ago
Quoted from DrWaz:

I know it is somewhere in this thread but for some reason I can’t seem to find it. Can someone confirm the number for the Hobby King servo that controls Smaug’s mouth.

Upper right side of thread - search this thread for Hobby King - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-hk15288a-analog-servo-bb-mg-9kg-0-20sec-51g.html

LTG : )

#10543 2 years ago

Wow, i guess i was sleeping.

I didnt get the barrel legs i wanted.

#10544 2 years ago

Wow, i guess i was sleeping.
I didnt get the barrel legs i wanted.

Sold out?

#10545 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Upper right side of thread - search this thread for Hobby King - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-hk15288a-analog-servo-bb-mg-9kg-0-20sec-51g.html

Thanks Lloyd. Post to help 1, helps many.

#10546 2 years ago

Yep.

So if there is a spare set floating around, hook me up!

#10547 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thank you Lloyd

#10549 2 years ago

And for you DYI folks:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4780354

15 minutes to print and a paper clip. 250 games in and still holding up perfectly fine.

#10550 2 years ago

Well, my Hobbit Smaug mouth quit working! So the fun begins.

I noticed that the HobbyKing servo (HK15288A Analog Servo BB/MG 9kg / 0.20sec / 51g) is out of stock everywhere or discontinued. This one will substitute...

HobbyKing™ (HK15328A Analog Servo BB/MG 10.3kg / 0.21sec / 58g)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/211 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.