IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 206 of 260.
#10251 2 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Still photo and brief video of pulsed lit dragon eye affixed to back left red indicator plate (final mod). Special thanks to Trumpanche for help in posting video.

[quoted image]

That looks cool!

#10252 2 years ago

Installed my arkenstone horde mod with lamp mod tonight.

Looks great!

Pulsation works ok. It dies after a couple hours in attract mode but comes back after a reboot.

There is a dark band across the stone from the players point of view.

I tilted the stone a bit and tilted the gold pile 1/4" to resolve it mostly.

Seems ok.

Looks best when viewed from the right a bit.

We will see how sturdy it is after a few games.
Right now its just jammed in the hole at a slight angle.

Over all it looks way better than the original.
Its tight and I cant very easily pull it out unless I push it from the rear inside the sculpture.
20210505_211857 (resized).jpg20210505_211857 (resized).jpg20210505_211907 (resized).jpg20210505_211907 (resized).jpg

#10253 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Looks great!
Pulsation works ok. It dies after a couple hours in attract mode but comes back after a reboot.
Seems ok.
Its tight and I cant very easily pull it out unless I push it from the rear inside the sculpture.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I made a short video, Ill probably tilt the gold pile back to where it was.:

#10254 2 years ago

Ride the lightning!

AEEB8340-59C4-4AD4-8FEE-69281CB3929E (resized).jpegAEEB8340-59C4-4AD4-8FEE-69281CB3929E (resized).jpeg
#10255 2 years ago

If you have a gap between your teeth you don’t go to the dentist to make it bigger.

#10256 2 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

If you have a gap between your teeth you don’t go to the dentist to make it bigger.

Ahem...cough cough

_56800323_ear3_think (resized).jpg_56800323_ear3_think (resized).jpg

#10257 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Ride the lightning!
[quoted image]

I've been tempted to do that change on my game. I've got it pretty tough already but that may be able to turn my game into a tournament contender.

#10258 2 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

I've been tempted to do that change on my game. I've got it pretty tough already but that may be able to turn my game into a tournament contender.

It’s harder, but you still probably need to drop the center post to be a tournament game.

#10259 2 years ago

Looks great!
Seems ok.

I tilted the top of my stone a little towards the player also. Looks great!!

Did you try any other pulse patterns or speeds? You might prefer a faster pulse if you find it too subtle

The lamp is driven off the spotlight - do all of your spotlights turn off after a couple hours? I haven’t experienced this behavior…

#10260 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

I tilted the top of my stone a little towards the player also. Looks great!!
Did you try any other pulse patterns or speeds? You might prefer a faster pulse if you find it too subtle
The lamp is driven off the spotlight - do all of your spotlights turn off after a couple hours? I haven’t experienced this behavior…

I let it run in atttact mode for 3 hours.

The pulsation had stopped.

I did it twice over a 2 day period.

I havent tried to debug it.

I also didnt wait longer to see if it restarted on its own.

#10261 2 years ago

I let it run in atttact mode for 3 hours.
The pulsation had stopped.
I did it twice over a 2 day period.
I havent tried to debug it.
I also didnt wait longer to see if it restarted on its own.

Interesting - that shouldn't happen. The next time you notice it, please take note of what the four spot lights are doing... Keep in mind that if you open the coin door and go into the menus, a) the spotlights (and arkenstone lamp/controller) turn OFF, and b) the other/original flasher lamp under the arkenstone turns ON continuously. So in some situations, it may look like the new lamp has stopped pulsing when it's actually completely off and it's just the original lamp turning on continuously (they are nearly identical in color and brightness - I can't tell a difference, at least). I'll, of course, send you a new controller if it's busted

#10262 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Interesting - that shouldn't happen. The next time you notice it, please take note of what the four spot lights are doing... Keep in mind that if you open the coin door and go into the menus, a) the spotlights (and arkenstone lamp/controller) turn OFF, and b) the other/original flasher lamp under the arkenstone turns ON continuously. So in some situations, it may look like the new lamp has stopped pulsing when it's actually completely off and it's just the original lamp turning on continuously (they are nearly identical in color and brightness - I can't tell a difference, at least). I'll, of course, send you a new controller if it's busted

Will do!

#10263 2 years ago

Looks great!
Seems ok.

Pinballinreno: To remove Arkenstone from Smaug's pile of gold, just stick a piece of tape to stone & lift out.

#10264 2 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Pinballinreno: To remove Arkenstone from Smaug's pile of gold, just stick a piece of tape to stone & lift out.

Mine snaps in very low and fits loose in the machined cut-out in the stone.

For now I have it snapped in all the way and it rests on the metal bar in the sculpture.

#10265 2 years ago

Hi, going to collect a Hobbit (Smaug le) I just put down a deposit for, what are the specific item should I check before agreeing the pick up? ( I own a lot of pinball including a woz, so what am looking for is the specificities for this pinball?

#10266 2 years ago
Quoted from etien:

Hi, going to collect a Hobbit (Smaug le) I just put down a deposit for, what are the specific item should I check before agreeing the pick up? ( I own a lot of pinball including a woz, so what am looking for is the specificities for this pinball?

I would check to be sure that:

1) The Smaug mech turns freely and can open and shuts his mouth
2) The the beasts rise and fall like they should (quick, smooth, and fall like a rock)
3) That each drop target DWARF, MAN, ELF works properly (down and up)
4) Check the version of the software (not hard to update, but it is nice to know what it is currently at)
5) Check for the 'fixes': Ramp flaps, beast inserts (to keep the ball from falling into the beast mechs), and the left rail that feeds the kickback. If it was built AFTER July 20th, 2016 they should be already installed from the factory.
6) Check the normal things like shooter lane, as well as playfield and cabinet wear. If it has the RADCALs that is a bonus

NOTE: The drop targets are a bit loud when they go up and down - that is normal.

That's all I can think of.

Enjoy getting it. It is very fun to explore the machine at home with proper pitch and sound.

#10267 2 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I would check to be sure that:...

Thx much appreciated

#10268 2 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I would check to be sure that:
1) The Smaug mech turns freely and can open and shuts his mouth
2) The the beasts rise and fall like they should (quick, smooth, and fall like a rock)
3) That each drop target DWARF, MAN, ELF works properly (down and up)
4) Check the version of the software (not hard to update, but it is nice to know what it is currently at)
5) Check for the 'fixes': Ramp flaps, beast inserts (to keep the ball from falling into the beast mechs), and the left rail that feeds the kickback. If it was built AFTER July 20th, 2016 they should be already installed from the factory.
6) Check the normal things like shooter lane, as well as playfield and cabinet wear. If it has the RADCALs that is a bonus
NOTE: The drop targets are a bit loud when they go up and down - that is normal.
That's all I can think of.
Enjoy getting it. It is very fun to explore the machine at home with proper pitch and sound.

Great list. Also if you are looking at an early build and the fixes aren't there JJP was helpful in getting them to me, don't let those be show-stoppers.

#10269 2 years ago

Double check that the sling arm isn't making contact with the playfield

#10270 2 years ago

Lift the playfield and check the wires on the beast mechs. They can get damaged/pinched and will eventually sliced through - and a pain to fix.

#10271 2 years ago

Let me know if you have any issues with this.

Code update v3.11 for The Hobbit pinball includes support for Wi-Fi and Scorbit!

View Change-Log:
https://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/hobbit_changelog.txt

Code update for US can be found here:
https://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/TheHobbit-v03.11.iso

Code update for EU can be found here:
https://downloadseu.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/TheHobbit-v03.11.iso

Additional update links can be found at:
https://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/support/

#10272 2 years ago

Any advice on replacing the Smaug jaw servo? Just got a replacement for my dead one. Lots of advice on forum about removing the Smaug mech. Was just wondering if there are any gotchas for the motor itself. The manual has a fairly involved procedure to calibrate.

#10273 2 years ago
Quoted from fitzpatricksrus:

Any advice on replacing the Smaug jaw servo? Just got a replacement for my dead one. Lots of advice on forum about removing the Smaug mech. Was just wondering if there are any gotchas for the motor itself. The manual has a fairly involved procedure to calibrate.

Gogojohnnyquack did an awesome writeup of a more fool-proof procedure than the manual has...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/193#post-6076471
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/193#post-6078667

#10274 2 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Code update v3.11 for The Hobbit pinball includes support for Wi-Fi and Scorbit!
View Change-Log:
https://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/hobbit_changelog.txt
Code update for US can be found here:
https://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/TheHobbit-v03.11.iso
Code update for EU can be found here:
https://downloadseu.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/TheHobbit-v03.11.iso
Additional update links can be found at:
https://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/support/

I've been test driving the beta of this and it has worked great!

Use your phone's camera to capture the Scorbit QR code that comes up when you start your game and before you've plunged to start using Scorbit

#10275 2 years ago

Woohoo! New Hobbit code from Jersey Jack!

Version 3.11, wifi and blue tooth support!

#10276 2 years ago

How do you get on Wi-Fi once updated. And why would I? Also scorbit any good? The email from jersey jack shows a link to a Bluetooth USB plug. That is not wifi?

#10277 2 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

How do you get on Wi-Fi once updated. And why would I? Also scorbit any good? The email from jersey jack shows a link to a Bluetooth USB plug. That is not wifi?

To get WiFi you need to add a wifi dongle(USB plug).
To get Bluetooth you need to add a Bluetooth dongle(USB plug).
WiFi is for updating code.
Bluetooth is for wireless headphones and presumably has some Scorebit integration as well.

#10278 2 years ago

Here's the dongles to get:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PB1X4CN
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SW48TY8

You can hook up wired ethernet as well instead of the wifi dongle, but you gotta get the cable into the cabinet which is also a minor pain.

Wifi/ethernet does simple delta software updates in the future and Scorbit integration. Bluetooth does wireless headphone connectivity, but doesn't work with Apple AirPods yet, so your mileage may vary for that functionality. AirPods and AirPods Pro were the only ones I tried and JJP said the Apple units are sort of a one-off breed of bluetooth device.

Quoted from marspinball:

#10279 2 years ago

Anyone looking to put their Hobbit on the market? I'm very interested, please send a pm.

#10280 2 years ago

Caught me off guard that. Expected DI to be next in line for scorbit and wifi connectivity..

#10281 2 years ago

Keep up the great work JJP!

#10282 2 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Caught me off guard that. Expected DI to be next in line for scorbit and wifi connectivity..

+1

#10283 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

To get WiFi you need to add a wifi dongle(USB plug).
To get Bluetooth you need to add a Bluetooth dongle(USB plug).
WiFi is for updating code.
Bluetooth is for wireless headphones and presumably has some Scorebit integration as well.

Here is what I use -

WiFi :
https://www.microcenter.com/product/604932/tp-link-archer-t2u-nano-ac600-nano-wireless-usb-adapter <https://www.microcenter.com/product/604932/tp-link-archer-t2u-nano-ac600-nano-wireless-usb-adapter>

Bluetooth :
https://www.microcenter.com/product/426849/asus-usb-bt400-usb-20-bluetooth-40-adapter <https://www.microcenter.com/product/426849/asus-usb-bt400-usb-20-bluetooth-40-adapter>

USB Hub :
https://www.microcenter.com/product/485912/inland-4-port-usb-31-(gen-1-type-a)-hub---black <https://www.microcenter.com/product/485912/inland-4-port-usb-31-(gen-1-type-a)-hub---black>

The Hub so I can plug the WiFi dongle and Bluetooth dongle into the Hub and the Hub into the USB cable by the cashbox.

If you put in the 3.11, be sure and back up your settings first.

LTG : )

#10284 2 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Be sure and back up your settings first before installing the 3.11

#10285 2 years ago

Is there anything else in this update besides WiFi and scorbit to make it worth updating? I don’t expect any more updates and I don’t use scorbit. I see it says other fixes, etc., but are they noticeable? Wasn’t going to update if it’s just WiFi and scorbit.

#10286 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Is there anything else in this update besides WiFi and scorbit to make it worth updating? I don’t expect any more updates and I don’t use scorbit. I see it says other fixes, etc., but are they noticeable? Wasn’t going to update if it’s just WiFi and scorbit.

I was wondering the same. Not sure its worth updating.

#10287 2 years ago

No you could skip.

Quoted from Lermods:

#10288 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

=== Game Code

+ Lamp in front of Goblin is now lit during Escape from Goblin-Town Mode.
* Various other bug fixes and improvements.

=== Core Code

+ Added WiFi and hard-wired networking. This allows for future online update
support. You'll need to install a WiFi dongle or hardwire the game to your
network for this feature to work.
+ Added the option to opt-in to Beta Network Updates.
+ Added initial Scorbit integration.
* Added Player Menu, accessing it by holding the right flipper button in
Attract Mode. This allows for connecting of Bluetooth headphones. You'll
need to install a Bluetooth dongle for this feature to work.

#10289 2 years ago

This is what I would love to have the details on. What were they. Did they add a fix to allow mode delays more consistently? Can I now delay a Lock if I'm on my last ball? (Especially if I have Mode Locks in the bank ready to go) I would update in a heartbeat if those were addressed.

#10290 2 years ago

They re-encoded some of the videos. I think that it has a sharper image in some of the scenes. I could be wrong and I am seeing more into it. On mine there was starting to get some blocks of maroon tint in some scenes (like the Smaug multiball). I thought my monitor was about to give up. The update fixed that so far - Maybe about 25 games in beta testing. There were a few bug fixes too.

#10291 2 years ago

I dont wish to update to an update that makes future updates easier. Especially if there ARE no future updates. I'm gonna pass.

#10292 2 years ago

With so many modes to complete, this game is just begging for co-op play. I would take that over Scorbit, wi-fi, or bluetooth.

Do we need to do a Kickstarter to have Keith code that for us?

#10293 2 years ago

In all seriousness, JJP could charge for that type of update similar to video game DLC and I would buy it

#10294 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I dont wish to update to an update that makes future updates easier. Especially if there ARE no future updates. I'm gonna pass.

There's an update coming, or I think it's safe to assume there is since you can opt in on the beta versions... which there is one you can update to via wifi.

#10295 2 years ago

I wish people would stop saying they would pay extra for code that should be included.

#10296 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I wish people would stop saying they would pay extra for code that should be included.

I don't think I would consider co-op play something that "should" be included. Definitely not something I would think operators really care about. Especially in a 5-year old game that JJP is no longer producing.

Which gets me thinking... I wonder what percentage of modern pinball machines actually offer co-op?

#10297 2 years ago

Co-op would suit this pin very well. For most players starting 32 modes in a game is almost impossible and I bet that in a 4 player game all 4 would hardly ever see the end.

As for the paid dlc forget that. It shouldn't be that hard to code Combining all 4 players mode count.

It would be cool to have the option to do a shared mode pool but have individual scores so you can still have some competition.

#10298 2 years ago

Awesome. Thanks JJP for the update!

#10299 2 years ago

Never thought I would see another update for Hobbit after those few huge updates 2-3 years back. Awesome!

With Scorebit it doesn't look like there's anything additional to buy, just download the app and make sure your game is connected to the internet? Also, when playing in Scorebit mode does it automatically change your games settings for leaderboards? Just curious if it can enforce 3 ball default settings versus someone with modified settings that makes the game easier.

#10300 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

when playing in Scorebit mode does it automatically change your games settings for leaderboards?

No, can't change a games settings.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 25.50
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 206 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/206?hl=reaper802 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.