IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 205 of 260.
#10201 3 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Thanks for your response. Gregory of Comet Pinball recommended use of his matrix brightness adjuster to reduce the voltage. He originally told me, via email, that you could cut his 12v 3SMD strip down to one. I did but it didn't work. He later said he was incorrect. He now states: "You can cut my 6.3v strip, but not the 12v." Using a 3 LED strip, with 2 LEDS taped over, will not work. The Arkenstone that I want to back light is only 35mm in diameter.
What does the voltage regulator look like? Do you sell them. Is it like a 120v converter system down to 5v, 10v, etc. They are quite large. Forgive my electrical ignorance.

I had an extra dimmer from comet so tested this. Alligator clipped it to my hobbit spotlight with exposed leads and then to a 6v post lamp. The voltage on the light was 10.97v on its own, and with the comet dimmer turned all the way down the voltage on the post lamp was 4.4v so I think what comet recommended is viable, but I’m not an electrical engineer so proceed with caution!

#10203 3 years ago

Finally got my hands on one of these games. I’m completely blown away, absolutely incredible. So underrated.

#10204 3 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Finally got my hands on one of these games. I’m completely blown away, absolutely incredible. So underrated.

You ain't never lied!

#10205 3 years ago

Quick question. Given a choice, which model do you think is the best to buy? Thanks

#10206 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballmlb:

Quick question. Given a choice, which model do you think is the best to buy? Thanks

I like black arrow, I own a gold Smaug edition. It's up to you on art and what is available. Playfields are the same. Some argue the black arrow being late production has improved beast mech designs. I can't confirm that. I'd take anyone, it's all about the game play

#10207 3 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

I like black arrow, I own a gold Smaug edition. It's up to you on art and what is available. Playfields are the same. Some argue the black arrow being late production has improved beast mech designs. I can't confirm that. I'd take anyone, it's all about the game play

Smaug all day for me not just bc of the gold dragon, great art but really the armor. After owning both, Black arrow looks like it has stern pro armor on it. Just very boring

#10208 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Smaug all day for me not just bc of the gold dragon, great art but really the armor. After owning both, Black arrow looks like it has stern pro armor on it. Just very boring

Smaug for me and soon, the lighted, pulsing Arkenstone for his hoard of gold!!

#10209 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

I had an extra dimmer from comet so tested this. Alligator clipped it to my hobbit spotlight with exposed leads and then to a 6v post lamp. The voltage on the light was 10.97v on its own, and with the comet dimmer turned all the way down the voltage on the post lamp was 4.4v so I think what comet recommended is viable, but I’m not an electrical engineer so proceed with caution!

Plungerboy: When I got my LE Hobbit 4 yrs. ago (on either the Hobbit Owners or Hobbit Mod threads), LTG/Lermods/or another pinsider warned that if you install a lighted mod using the Hobbit's 12v electrical system & something goes wrong, you will void the 1 yr. warranty. So I installed an independent electrical system: DC 120v converter to 5v/10v/Gr. wire leads to the 8-Way Power Splitter Board from Pinball Life with use of 3 port Molex connectors. I use the 5v Molex connector to back light Bill's Arkenstone with a blue Star Post Light from Comet Pinball. It's a circle of 4 LED squares that fits perfectly behind Bill's stone. With the 5v source, the stone shows diffuse illumination without the squares showing through it's back white membrane. If you use the Hobbit's 12v source, the squares show through and you have the risk of an electrical hazard!!! If you use the Hobbit's 12v source and a 6.3v LED, you'll need to also install a voltage (Buck) regulator. I pulsate the stone using the LED Controller for STERN Whitestar / Sam (BRIGHTMODS.com).

I'll try to post a video of the final installation soon. The lighted, pulsaing Arkenstone is unbelievable!!!

#10210 3 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Plungerboy: When I got my LE Hobbit 4 yrs. ago (on either the Hobbit Owners or Hobbit Mod threads), LTG/Lermods/or another pinsider warned that if you install a lighted mod using the Hobbit's 12v electrical system & something goes wrong, you will void the 1 yr. warranty. So I installed an independent electrical system: DC 120v converter to 5v/10v/Gr. wire leads to the 8-Way Power Splitter Board from Pinball Life with use of 3 port Molex connectors. I use the 5v Molex connector to back light Bill's Arkenstone with a blue Star Post Light from Comet Pinball. It's a circle of 4 LED squares that fits perfectly behind Bill's stone. With the 5v source, the stone shows diffuse illumination without the squares showing through it's back white membrane. If you use the Hobbit's 12v source, the squares show through and you have the risk of an electrical hazard!!! If you use the Hobbit's 12v source and a 6.3v LED, you'll need to also install a voltage (Buck) regulator. I pulsate the stone using the LED Controller for STERN Whitestar / Sam (BRIGHTMODS.com).
I'll try to post a video of the final installation soon. The lighted, pulsaing Arkenstone is unbelievable!!!

I'm not trying to mod my hobbit, I was replying to another post that was trying to understand the voltage dimmer from Comet and if it could be used on a 12v system with 6v lamps as the folks at Comet stated. It seems to be possible.

#10211 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

I'm not trying to mod my hobbit, I was replying to another post that was trying to understand the voltage dimmer from Comet and if it could be used on a 12v system with 6v lamps as the folks at Comet stated. It seems to be possible.

Thanks for your input. Let me emphasize the superior quality of Bill's Arkenstone. You don't have to back light it. It reflects ambient light on it's own & it's a simple mod to affix either the Smaug's Hoard Stone or the 30mm stone (sold by superskillshot.com) to the back pillar sculpture with double sided Gorillar tape (see previous posts). If you want to pulsate it, then you have to jack around with issues of 12v, 5v, current regulators, etc.

#10212 3 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

I have the LE (not Smaug). The bronze powder coat looks sooooo good. I held out till I found the one I want.

#10213 3 years ago
Quoted from MooButt:

I have the LE (not Smaug). The bronze powder coat looks sooooo good. I held out till I found the one I want.

My fav too but I did have a number of early production issues to fix

#10214 3 years ago

Hey halflings, I thought I'd share my latest upgrade I was never happy with the stock backbox lighting, even with the amber gel light filter over the overly-blue LEDs that came with the machine. So... yesterday, I took some time to re-light the backbox/translite. I unplugged the old light strip and then essentially circled the inside of the backbox with LED strips... plus lamp controllers, duh! The overhead strip is set to full bright, the side strips are full dim, and the bottom strip is one step up from full dim.

I'm super pleased with the results! Before and after pics attached.

And, as always, big thanks to you all who keep supporting my mods! I've run out of parts for the Smaug's Horde Arkenstone lamp/controller and don't plan on buying parts to make another run of those unless there's some surge in interest, but I do have a handful left ready to ship.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1305-trumpanche-mods

IMG_1962 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_1962 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_2072 (resized).jpgIMG_2072 (resized).jpg
#10215 2 years ago

Anyone getting chipping on the backside of the right VUK hole? I know why it happens, just looking for suggestions on how to slow it down. Cliffy’s don’t cover that part and I’m not sure if Mylar would be helpful or not. Open to suggestions.

#10216 2 years ago
Quoted from DrWaz:

Anyone getting chipping on the backside of the right VUK hole? I know why it happens, just looking for suggestions on how to slow it down. Cliffy’s don’t cover that part and I’m not sure if Mylar would be helpful or not. Open to suggestions.

I have Cliffy's on those VUKs as well, but I don't 'think' they offer much protection for the backside of the VUK hole. I am interested on hearing other thoughts on how to protect as well. I want to keep this thing looking good and as well protected as I can because it's never leaving! #BoltedToTheFloor
1F1CC848-65A5-4BE0-96B2-F19BCF0B83F1 (resized).jpeg1F1CC848-65A5-4BE0-96B2-F19BCF0B83F1 (resized).jpeg

#10217 2 years ago
Quoted from Harmonic-Homes:Hi Guys, my hobbit machine displays the attached image when booting up. I tried to do a USB full install and it displays the second image. Any ideas as to what has failed? It was working fine yesterday.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I bought a new SSD drive and tried several different USB sticks and get the same type of kernel panick message. Sometimes it says "loading" for 60 secs or so and then does the kernel panick. Most times it goes right to the error message.

I tried reseating the CPU, reseating memory with no luck. I also used rufus to burn the USB image, same result. Any ideas?

#10218 2 years ago

Here is the error it gives again.

jjp4 (resized).jpgjjp4 (resized).jpg
#10219 2 years ago

Slightly different error, it changes slightly. I have tried it so many times I noticed that sometimes this error occurs.

kris (resized).jpgkris (resized).jpg
#10220 2 years ago

It may take JJP support (or Keith himself) to advise on this error. I am not a Ubuntu expert or even user for that matter. From what I have found it 'could' be an issue with your RAM. I wonder if JJP would ship you a new SSD with the latest Hobbit update on it. If that didn't work, it may point to RAM as the next thing you can change to resolve.

Disclaimer: This is not hobbit pinball medical advice. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

#10221 2 years ago

Thanks, I have reached out to a few different people in support and haven’t heard back. Does anyone know the best way to get help from JJP these days?

#10222 2 years ago
Quoted from Harmonic-Homes:

Does anyone know the best way to get help from JJP these days?

Call them or open a support ticket.

I'd be tempted to try a new SSD. Stick it in. Then do a Full Install of the software.

LTG : )

#10223 2 years ago

I bought a new SSD drive and tried several different USB sticks and get the same type of kernel panick message. Sometimes it says "loading" for 60 secs or so and then does the kernel panick. Most times it goes right to the error message.
I tried reseating the CPU, reseating memory with no luck. I also used rufus to burn the USB image, same result. Any ideas?

sometimes you just have to wait a few minutes (10-15 or so?)

Then see if it clears up.

#10224 2 years ago

KevInBuffalo - I missed your stream in real time but caught the results . Next step is to try the rubber band fix!! If the only cable you need to disconnect is the Ethernet/RJ45 cable, that was my situation and the rubber band / fixing his mouth mechanism was the long term fix for me

#10225 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Call them or open a support ticket.
I'd be tempted to try a new SSD. Stick it in. Then do a Full Install of the software.

I think he already bought a new SSD and it didn't resolve it - do you think he should try another new SSD?

#10226 2 years ago

Yes, I tried a new SSD per the recommendation. I also tried a new Sata cable and even a different sata port on the motherboard. From the error it almost looks like an issue with how the usb stick is setup with the Ubuntu script but that couldn’t be it! Very much a mystery still, usually I can figure this stuff out. I’ll submit the ticket today, hopefully someone out there at JJP has some ideas.

#10227 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

KevInBuffalo - I missed your stream in real time but caught the results . Next step is to try the rubber band fix!! If the only cable you need to disconnect is the Ethernet/RJ45 cable, that was my situation and the rubber band / fixing his mouth mechanism was the long term fix for me

Yep I'm happy with the results after last night. I mentioned at the end of the stream that there were a number of things I tried, including reseating power connections, changing USB ports for the cable that feeds the playfield, and adjusting the values of Smaug's mouth. Considering it held up after that last game where I defeated Smaug and got to Five Armies I'm calling it good to go.

#10228 2 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Yep I'm happy with the results after last night. I mentioned at the end of the stream that there were a number of things I tried, including reseating power connections, changing USB ports for the cable that feeds the playfield, and adjusting the values of Smaug's mouth. Considering it held up after that last game where I defeated Smaug and got to Five Armies I'm calling it good to go.

I may have missed your earlier post - what did you do to resolve?

#10229 2 years ago

Slightly different error, it changes slightly. I have tried it so many times I noticed that sometimes this error occurs.
[quoted image]

Try to disconnect the USB extension cable that goes to the coin box area for updates, and install the USB directly into that USB port on the motherboard.

#10230 2 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Try to disconnect the USB extension cable that goes to the coin box area for updates, and install the USB directly into that USB port on the motherboard.

I have been using that method since the SSD install. Same result with the errors. Thanks for the suggestion.

#10231 2 years ago

Hey Trumpanche, how do you download/post your videos? When I try, I get "invalid extension." It needs PDF or some other extension I've never encountered. I'm not that computer literate. I can email the video as a file, not picture/image. On Pinside posting preview, there's a notation "DROP FILES HERE TO UPLOAD (OR CLICK THE UPLOAD BUTTON)." It's not highlighted as the blue "Attach image(s)..." and of course if you click on it, nothing happens.

#10232 2 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I may have missed your earlier post - what did you do to resolve?

I did all those things: reseating power connections, changing USB ports for the cable that feeds the playfield, and adjusting the values of Smaug's mouth. One of those things did the trick, but since I didn't playtest after each change I can't say specifically what worked, but I'm guessing it was Smaug's mouth binding.

#10233 2 years ago

Awwww - quitter!

Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

#10234 2 years ago

This is driving me nuts. Can someone tell me where this wire connects to? It is located directly under the smaug head and I can't seem to remember after replacing the servo in the the Smaug. Ugh.

Under Smaug Wirin (resized).jpgUnder Smaug Wirin (resized).jpg
#10235 2 years ago
Quoted from Pulp:

Can someone tell me where this wire connects to?

Maybe to the light on the gold pile in front of Smaug ?

#10236 2 years ago

Does anyone know a fair price for a Smaug Controller pcb board? I have nos one i found in my parts stash but I didn’t know what its value was. I’m willing to sell it for a fair price to anyone who could use it.

#10237 2 years ago
Quoted from Pulp:

This is driving me nuts. Can someone tell me where this wire connects to? It is located directly under the smaug head and I can't seem to remember after replacing the servo in the the Smaug. Ugh.
[quoted image]

Looks like it goes to the board on the Smaug mech, maybe from the servo to that board?

#10238 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Maybe to the light on the gold pile in front of Smaug ?

Those are tiny and blue

E990D16B-0014-486B-BBA9-E90AF0C0A04E (resized).jpegE990D16B-0014-486B-BBA9-E90AF0C0A04E (resized).jpeg
#10239 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Those are tiny and blue
[quoted image]

That’s what........

#10240 2 years ago
Quoted from Pulp:

Can someone tell me where this wire connects to?

Here is Smaugs connectors. The two black fiber covered ones go up into Smaugs head.

DSC00506 (resized).JPGDSC00506 (resized).JPG
#10241 2 years ago

1130A38C-A246-4D9E-B34C-FCAD528010D6 (resized).jpeg1130A38C-A246-4D9E-B34C-FCAD528010D6 (resized).jpeg

Looks like you gotta pull him back out to plug it in :-/

#10242 2 years ago

Thanks you guys saved me! Next time I'm documenting every step!

#10243 2 years ago

Man, this project is never ending.

I changed the servo in Smaugs head and had everything working, turned off the machine, came back the next day and now the side to side motor doesn't seem to be working. I don't know how best to explain it... but it seemed bumpy and rough when turning side to side. So I pulled the head back off.

Any time it is plugged in the side to side feels rough and bumpy when manually turning by hand or having the machine turn it. As soon as I unplug it the motion is smooth again by hand.

It also seems to be causing excessive heat in the motor.

I'm totally lost on what to do next. What did I do wrong? Has anyone experienced this or seen any posts about this? Do I need to replace this part; if so does anyone know where I can buy the side to side motor?

Any help in troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated!

dragon head help 1 (resized).jpgdragon head help 1 (resized).jpgdragon head help 3 (resized).jpgdragon head help 3 (resized).jpg
#10244 2 years ago
Quoted from Pulp:

I changed the servo in Smaugs head and had everything working, turned off the machine, came back the next day and now the side to side motor doesn't seem to be working. I don't know how best to explain it... but it seemed bumpy and rough when turning side to side. So I pulled the head back off.
Any time it is plugged in the side to side feels rough and bumpy when manually turning by hand or having the machine turn it. As soon as I unplug it the motion is smooth again by hand.
I'm totally lost on what to do next. What did I do wrong? Has anyone experienced this or seen any posts about this? Do I need to replace this part; if so does anyone know where I can buy the side to side motor?

This has happened to me a few times. I’d just try powering on the game with his head turned at different angles until it works again. Seems to usually fix it for me. Also check in the switch matrix test and see if his end of travel switches are activating at each end. If those aren’t tripping, you might need to double check your connectors and such. Good luck!

#10245 2 years ago
Quoted from Pulp:

Oh and that ‘cogging’ (bumpy) you’re feeling in the motor is probably normal.

#10246 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Oh and that ‘cogging’ (bumpy) you’re feeling in the motor is probably normal.

Mine has that feeling and works well (thank goodness)....but it does run hot as hell.

#10247 2 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Mine has that feeling and works well (thank goodness)....but it does run hot as hell.

Mine seems to usually be too hot to touch... hasn't failed yet, though! :-/

#10248 2 years ago

Photos of Dragon Eye affixed to back left indicator red plastic plate. Photo 1 is without game lights on. Photo 2 is with indicator (game lights) on. I plan to increase the brightness of the LED indicator light & have it slow blink with a mode harness. As it stands, it's just okay. With increased blinking brightness, it would be more apparent & dramatic. I've alerted Trumpanche for his input.

Dragon Eye 001 (resized).JPGDragon Eye 001 (resized).JPGDragon Eye 002 (resized).JPGDragon Eye 002 (resized).JPG
#10249 2 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Photos of Dragon Eye affixed to back left indicator red plastic plate. Photo 1 is without game lights on. Photo 2 is with indicator (game lights) on. I plan to increase the brightness of the LED indicator light & have it slow blink with a mode harness. As it stands, it's just okay. With increased blinking brightness, it would be more apparent & dramatic. I've alerted Trumpanche for his input.

Some kind of 3d surround to frame it maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Print-Store-Sauron-Poster/dp/B0718TT1RC

#10250 2 years ago

Still photo and brief video of pulsed lit dragon eye affixed to back left red indicator plate (final mod). Special thanks to Trumpanche for help in posting video.

Back Lit Dragon Eye 001 (resized).JPGBack Lit Dragon Eye 001 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Hardware
Pinball Haven

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 25.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 205 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/205?hl=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.