IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 203 of 260.
#10101 3 years ago

Thanks Jorant. It's only ever at the beginning of that mode. If the spider is up at any other time and the ball goes into the kickout during play the spider will drop in time. I might roll back to the latest non-beta code. Thanks for confirming.

#10103 3 years ago
Quoted from mjfisher:

Thanks Jorant. It's only ever at the beginning of that mode. If the spider is up at any other time and the ball goes into the kickout during play the spider will drop in time. I might roll back to the latest non-beta code. Thanks for confirming.

Mine does not do this. If sounds like a sticky mech.

#10104 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

Does anyone know if the kickback plunger is a standard Bally/Williams part like Marco sells or is it JJP specific?

Bump, still wondering if anyone has replaced the kickback plunger assembly and parts compatibility, thank you!

#10107 3 years ago

If anyone is upgrading from the engraved plate mod to the new button mod, let me know. I'll take the angraved plate one off your hands.

#10108 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

If anyone is upgrading from the engraved plate mod to the new button mod, let me know. I'll take the angraved plate one off your hands.

I have one of the newer ones which I won't be using. This one:

https://mezelmods.com/collections/hobbit-pinball-mods/products/hobbit-pinball-lockdown-bar-ring-button-kit

#10110 3 years ago

When I leave my machine on for more than several hours, I lose sound. Restarting the game fixes. I have 3.0. Any thoughts as to the issue?

#10111 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

When I leave my machine on for more than several hours, I lose sound. Restarting the game fixes. I have 3.0. Any thoughts as to the issue?

I think it's the version you have. Upgrade to 3.10 - the release notes have this in them:

"* Fixed sound loss/distortion that occurs after game on for several hours"

Hope that helps.

#10112 3 years ago
Quoted from mjfisher:

I think it's the version you have. Upgrade to 3.10 - the release notes have this in them:
"* Fixed sound loss/distortion that occurs after game on for several hours"
Hope that helps.

Well, that absolutely helps! Thank you

#10113 3 years ago

Just got my Smaug Edition a few days ago and love it. Very pleasantly surprised how much I like playing this game. Still on the honeymoon, but it will be here awhile if not forever. A couple of questions:

It’s the first old school JJP I’ve seen, with the computer under the playfield and the monitor hard mounted in the backbox. Curious, are the Black Arrow editions like this or are they setup like the newer ones (with computer in the backbox and monitor on a telescoping mount)?

Also, the volume control looks like the attached picture which isn’t the same as my 4 other JJP’s. Haven’t tried to see if it works with headphones, but it doesn’t work adjusting the system volume. A) is this the stock volume control, and B) any suggestions on what to check to get working? I haven’t looked at the computer setup under the playfield let, maybe something came unplugged during shipping.

Thanks!

576F532C-2892-4019-985B-AD14E527E223 (resized).jpeg576F532C-2892-4019-985B-AD14E527E223 (resized).jpeg
#10114 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Just got my Smaug Edition a few days ago and love it. Very pleasantly surprised how much I like playing this game. Still on the honeymoon, but it will be here awhile if not forever. A couple of questions:
It’s the first old school JJP I’ve seen, with the computer under the playfield and the monitor hard mounted in the backbox. Curious, are the Black Arrow editions like this or are they setup like the newer ones (with computer in the backbox and monitor on a telescoping mount)?
Also, the volume control looks like the attached picture which isn’t the same as my 4 other JJP’s. Haven’t tried to see if it works with headphones, but it doesn’t work adjusting the system volume. A) is this the stock volume control, and B) any suggestions on what to check to get working? I haven’t looked at the computer setup under the playfield let, maybe something came unplugged during shipping.
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Black Arrow is the same.

Consider this product from Pinnovators for volume:
https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/the-hobbit-black-arrow-special-edition/products/jjp-mac-master-audio-control-panel

#10115 3 years ago

The external volume control will lower the volume and mute from the maximum. The maximum volume is set in the settings menu.
If you lower the volume externally then you can raise it back to that level say for a wizard mode.

#10116 3 years ago

Hmm I'll have to double check. I thought the volume control was the same as Woz. ie it doesn't change the speaker volume (apart from Mute) and only raises/lowers the volume when you have headphones in.

#10117 3 years ago

I am also interested in buying this if anyone has one. Pm me

#10118 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I had the same fault.
Remove the drop target bank (4 screws) then you will be able to see the leaf switches, probably one needs to be soldered.

Update: Removed the drop target bank per your advice and yes, the green wire connecting to the standup target needed to be soldered. Suspended the drop target bank with zip ties while soldering. It was easy and everything working now! Thanks again!

#10119 3 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Update: Removed the drop target bank per your advice and yes, the green wire connecting to the standup target needed to be soldered. Suspended the drop target bank with zip ties while soldering. It was easy and everything working now! Thanks again!

Hey that's awesome! Way to fix it!

#10120 3 years ago

Like others said, I just have to crank the game volume up real high (in the 40s) when using the external volume control. They’re kinda ‘additive’ volume settings.

Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Thanks!
[quoted image]

#10121 3 years ago

I wish they would run another batch of the button plates. I need one on my game!

#10122 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Post some pictures after the install - I am thinking about this mod too
I kind of wish Lior would redo that gold pile in front of Smaug to have a cool looking pile of treasures mixed in with the coins and a nice sculpted Arkenstone that is integrated with the gold pile more than just a flasher. That said this mod does do what I think the machines should have - and that is a Arkenstone in that gold in front of Smaug

Goronic: Here are the Photos with Bill's Arkenstone installed in the Smaug's Hoard Pile of Gold front panel as requested. Photo 1 is with game/playfield lights on. Photo 2 is with only the back panel LED strip on. I don't think it's too redundant. The Arkenstone on the back panel pillar sculpture is larger and the Hoard Pile of Gold stone does not always flash. I plan to back light the larger pillar sculpture stone with a pulsating LED.

I've always maintain that you can overdue a good thing, that one should have only one of Bill's Arkenstone inside the cabinet and one outside (starter button), but damn those stones are nice!!!

I installed Bill's low profile Arkenstone Starter Button. I agree with Trumpanche that it looks best on a LE Hobbit.

GOLD PILE ARKENSTONE 001 (resized).JPGGOLD PILE ARKENSTONE 001 (resized).JPGGOLD PILE ARKENSTONE 002 (resized).JPGGOLD PILE ARKENSTONE 002 (resized).JPG
#10123 3 years ago

First, I'd like to thank everyone who has picked up one of my Arkenstones. It's kept me incredibly busy for the last month.

I've gotten several requests for help installing the Arkenstone in Smaug's Hoard. It can be a bit challenging or more accurately, it's incredibly simple to install AFTER taking the gold lens out. It gets easier after doing it 3 or 4 times which I ended up doing to get these pictures on the process. This is the easiest way that I found. I tried removing the second light board instead of disconnecting it, but it was more difficult to screw it back in place than to reconnect plug.

This is my first run at documenting, critique welcome.

Bill Hanson

Installing Arkenstone in Smaugs Hoard.pdfInstalling Arkenstone in Smaugs Hoard.pdfLit glow (resized).jpgLit glow (resized).jpgSmaugs Arkenstone 2 (resized).jpgSmaugs Arkenstone 2 (resized).jpg
#10124 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think the sillly square light in the backboard could use some work, as a mod.
The Eye of Suaron, Much like the Palantir mod on LOTR would be really good.

Quoted from Travahontas:

pinballinreno - I rarely notice that lamp and have no idea what they were trying to achieve with it... It’s just a red dot. It doesn’t light anything; it doesn’t seem to represent anything from the movies; it’s visually obscured (depending on your height)...
I’m thinking if we put a mod back there, it’s so far back and obscured by Smaug that no one would even notice??
[quoted image]</blockquo
But, Im optimistic that someone can come up with something better.

Lol, yeah, its just a power on indicator...? Im curious what was going on in the art directors mind.
But, Im optimistic that someone can come up with something better.

How to mod the back indicator light? Let's put a Smaug's eye there! "Smaug is in hiding but keeping a watchful eye on you." My photos do not do my mod justice. They are too dark. I think my camera needs cataract surgery! I took a 1.5cm acrylic clear half sphere, made an elliptical pupil from black electrical tape and affixed the half sphere with pupil affixed to the indicated with glue dot. The black pupil is horizontal, not vertical, but let's just assume Smaug is looking down in the backbox. I tried vertical mounting, but horizontal is more aesthetic.

Amazon has a myriad of glass dragon eyes. I have order several to upgrade my mod, but they my not be transparent to light. If they are, the red indicator light may not be bright enough. Right now I'm satisfied with what I have.

Smaug's Hidden Eye 001 (resized).JPGSmaug's Hidden Eye 001 (resized).JPGSmaug's Hidden Eye 002 (resized).JPGSmaug's Hidden Eye 002 (resized).JPG
#10125 3 years ago

Mine does not do this. If sounds like a sticky mech.

Thank you (and @jorant). Turns out at some point I'd adjusted the Kickback strength and Kickback delay. Can't ever remember doing it but I obviously did Set them back to factory defaults and now my spider doesn't get bashed any more

#10126 3 years ago
Quoted from Modelvisionary:

First, I'd like to thank everyone who has picked up one of my Arkenstones. It's kept me incredibly busy for the last month.
I've gotten several requests for help installing the Arkenstone in Smaug's Hoard. It can be a bit challenging or more accurately, it's incredibly simple to install AFTER taking the gold lens out. It gets easier after doing it 3 or 4 times which I ended up doing to get these pictures on the process. This is the easiest way that I found. I tried removing the second light board instead of disconnecting it, but it was more difficult to screw it back in place than to reconnect plug.
Bill Hanson[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Bill - What kind of magic is that?? Those are great instructions! I didn't THINK to unscrew Smaug's light board (and I didn't even disconnect it), so these were the steps I used:

1. Unscrew the big locking nut and lift up the gold pile a bit
2. Disconnect the little connector on the underside to the flasher (gray wires, not blue wires - and the wires were SHORT, so a little screwdriver helped to push the little lever on the connector)
3. Unscrew the metal bracket from the sculpture (i.e. unscrew the bracket the flasher LED board is on)
4. Unscrew the old gold lens (it just came out the bottom - the obvious way I'd say, not Bill's ninja way out the top)
5. (stuck my LED strip light mod on that metal bracket next to the flasher LED board)
6. Screw everything back together (except the flasher lens of course) and plug the flasher LED board connector back in (patiently haha)
7. Pop in the Arkenstone

Thanks again Bill - I love this mod!
https://superskillshot.com/products/arkenstone-on-the-gold-pile-for-the-hobbit

#10127 3 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

How to mod the back indicator light? Let's put a Smaug's eye there! "Smaug is in hiding but keeping a watchful eye on you." My photos do not do my mod justice. They are too dark. I think my camera needs cataract surgery! I took a 1.5cm acrylic clear half sphere, made an elliptical pupil from black electrical tape and affixed the half sphere with pupil affixed to the indicated with glue dot. The black pupil is horizontal, not vertical, but let's just assume Smaug is looking down in the backbox. I tried vertical mounting, but horizontal is more aesthetic.
Amazon has a myriad of glass dragon eyes. I have order several to upgrade my mod, but they my not be transparent to light. If they are, the red indicator light may not be bright enough. Right now I'm satisfied with what I have. [quoted image][quoted image]

docdeath Sure beats the red dot! Nice!

#10128 3 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Amazon has a myriad of glass dragon eyes. I have order several to upgrade my mod, but they my not be transparent to light. If they are, the red indicator light may not be bright enough. Right now I'm satisfied with what I have. [quoted image][quoted image]

The slit in the eye should go vertical like the eye of Sauron I think.
Other than that, I like where this is heading!

#10129 3 years ago
Quoted from mjfisher:

Thank you (and jorant). Turns out at some point I'd adjusted the Kickback strength and Kickback delay. Can't ever remember doing it but I obviously did Set them back to factory defaults and now my spider doesn't get bashed any more

During arrow launch modes is the ball still going nicely from the arrow launch, up the right orbit for the upper flipper shot after returning to factory settings.

#10130 3 years ago

docdeath what is that arkenstone mod at the ramps crossover? That looks nice.

I like the one in the Smaug pile, but it looks a swine to fit. Also not sure how much it would catch my eye during play.

Good chat in this thread recently about concentrating on the modes. Loving doing that to see what kind of game it leads to. Be sweet if there was a multiball built in mid-way through the mode progression.

#10131 3 years ago

Hey guys I just picked up a hobbit and totally new to it, everything working great except the Smaug mouth looks just a tiny bit crooked to me, like its off just a mm or two from the side. Has anyone had this before and how do I adjust?
Thanks

#10132 3 years ago

Arrow launch mode (load with right ramp, and launch with button), what is supposed to happen here?

#10133 3 years ago

Joined the Black Arrow edition yesterday!

#10134 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Arrow launch mode (load with right ramp, and launch with button), what is supposed to happen here?

Depends on the situation. Loading the windlance launches thebball to feed the upper flipper. Depends on what is then lit to hit. Usually that's your Smaug death shot (jesus christ is this programmed well: all drop targets are up but one, which represents Smaug's weak spot from the movie).

#10135 3 years ago

The slit in the eye should go vertical like the eye of Sauron I think.
Other than that, I like where this is heading!

Pinballinreno: I originally mounted Smaug's eye with the pupil slit vertical, but when I switched to horizontal, I liked it better aesthetically. I know it's not anatomically correct but my Hobbit LE Smaug, hiding in the back of the cabinet, has a genetic defect or is looking down.

I'm going to receive several glass dragon eyes from Amazon on Wednesday. I don't know if they will allow enough light transmission from the red indicator light. It's not very bright. Maybe Trumpanche can mod it to increase the intensity.

#10136 3 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

docdeath what is that arkenstone mod at the ramps crossover? That looks nice.
I like the one in the Smaug pile, but it looks a swine to fit. Also not sure how much it would catch my eye during play.
Good chat in this thread recently about concentrating on the modes. Loving doing that to see what kind of game it leads to. Be sweet if there was a multiball built in mid-way through the mode progression.

thewool: See post 10043. Installation of Bill's Arkenstone into the pile of gold front panel (Smaug's Hoard) is not the easiest of tasks. You are working in a small confined space. What you have to do is straight forward but it takes time & patience & a shot of Jack Daniel's. It periodically flashes during game play. When it does, it's amazing.

#10137 3 years ago

Finally added TH SE to my small pin collection. First install was Bills arkenstone up in Smaug and his shooter rod. What an awesome and under rated pin!

#10138 3 years ago
Quoted from Jhislop3:

Finally added TH SE to my small pin collection. First install was Bills arkenstone up in Smaug and his shooter rod. What an awesome and under rated pin!

Welcome to the club!

#10139 3 years ago
Quoted from Jhislop3:

Quoted from Powerhouse47:

Joined the Black Arrow edition yesterday!

Welcome to the club guys! Good call starting with a trip to Bill’s shop haha

#10140 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Depends on the situation. Loading the windlance launches thebball to feed the upper flipper. Depends on what is then lit to hit. Usually that's your Smaug death shot (jesus christ is this programmed well: all drop targets are up but one, which represents Smaug's weak spot from the movie).

Oh wow that’s cool!

#10141 3 years ago

Trying to update from 3.00 to 3.10, full upgrade. I own 4 other JJP pins and I know the process well so figured this would be quick and simple using the same USB drive, etc. Anyway, used my first stick to backup the settings and it worked fine. Burned the ISO image onto 2 different USB sticks (so far, working on the third), and it just boots normally, not to the USB which would do the upgrade. Any thoughts, so far I’ve used a 32GB card and a 64GB stick (both failed to boot, but worked for backup), waiting in a 16GB card to burn and will try it next.

#10142 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Trying to update from 3.00 to 3.10, full upgrade. I own 4 other JJP pins and I know the process well so figured this would be quick and simple using the same USB drive, etc. Anyway, used my first stick to backup the settings and it worked fine. Burned the ISO image onto 2 different USB sticks (so far, working on the third), and it just boots normally, not to the USB which would do the upgrade. Any thoughts, so far I’ve used a 32GB card and a 64GB stick (both failed to boot, but worked for backup), waiting in a 16GB card to burn and will try it next.

And the 16GB card worked. Sorry for the wasted bandwidth!

#10143 3 years ago

Hello everyone. I am a newbie here and on Friday April 9 a Hobbit Black Arrow will be arriving at my house. I am super excited to be part of this community. I read a lot of the threads here in the Hobbit owner group and seeing how many of you really love the game influenced me to take a chance and buy one for myself. Thanks!

#10144 3 years ago

Welcome back Pinside - we love you!!! xxxx

#10145 3 years ago
Quoted from VeggiePin:

Hello everyone. I am a newbie here and on Friday April 9 a Hobbit Black Arrow will be arriving at my house. I am super excited to be part of this community. I read a lot of the threads here in the Hobbit owner group and seeing how many of you really love the game influenced me to take a chance and buy one for myself. Thanks!

welcome to The Hobbit club!

#10146 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I am also interested in buying this if anyone has one. Pm me

Just installed Lior's new mod so have the same mezel mod button and bar to part with if still needed.

#10147 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Are you using unetbootin? You might want to try Rufus. I was only able to get it updated with Rufus using JJP install instructions. There are posts in this thread talking about changing a setting to boot from stick. Maybe that's your issue.

#10148 3 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

During arrow launch modes is the ball still going nicely from the arrow launch, up the right orbit for the upper flipper shot after returning to factory settings.

No it wasn't so I've adjusted it again. Turns out that wasn't the issue as the spider started playing up again. Looks like it was hitting the side of the hole ever so slightly when it was dropping. Didn't do it when I had the playfield pulled out a bit so didn't notice it. Slight adjustment and all is well (and I've reset my settings on the windlance shot back to what they were).

#10149 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Oh wow that’s cool!

You also get to use it in the Flashback Mode. Shooting the right ramp feeds to the windlance, press the button to shoot to the upper right flipper. In this case you have all the yellow dwarf targets under Smaug to shoot at so it's a bit easier. A nice test to practice before the big Smaug multiball attempt

#10150 3 years ago
Quoted from Modelvisionary:

Bill Hanson[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks Bill , I just received my arkenstone start button .
It looks great , I can't wait to install it and see it light up .

IMG20210413205829 (resized).jpgIMG20210413205829 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 203 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/203?hl=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.