IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 200 of 260.
#9951 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

... I really love this game, its never leaving.

Hear! Hear!

I'm kind of ashamed now of how anti-Hobbit I was when it first came out. No interest. Whatsoever.

As the code evolved though, I came to enjoy it more on route, and now at home ... a total joy to play and experience!

#9952 3 years ago

With the 3rd flipper mod I find myself working solely on modes for the first time, and I am a very early adopter. I have had my game since week 4 of production.
The 3rd flipper mod has me playing the game as it was envisioned. Modes are everything, multiballs are incidental.
Im amazed that this wasnt part of the original setup of the game.
I really love this game, its never leaving.

I ordered the mod. How does it make it more mode focused? I’m still learning all the rules. Is it going to help me get to TABA?

#9953 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I ordered the mod. How does it make it more mode focused? I’m still learning all the rules. Is it going to help me get to TABA?

It doesn't. Just like before, if you have put the ball in the pops you have pretty much made a mistake. The gate saves you from some nasty drains down the middle if you have pulled your center post like many of us have. It will help you finish Level 1 of Barrel Escape faster as you get a little more action in the pops. If you are playing the game for score, it's all about taking a 4 star mode into your mini wizard modes for 2x scoring. A good Into the Fire should score anywhere between 750K and a million points. If you can finish Riddles in the Dark which is the only 5 star mode I've ever finished, you will start Into the Fire at 4x and you can really blow it up.

#9954 3 years ago

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4780354

25 test games in and the paperclip continues to work perfectly. I'll give it another 25 test games and if it's still working I'm not even going to bother with the music wire. I'm starting to think the lighter gate is the better option anyway as it has less momentum on the return swing due to it's lower mass thus preventing bounce and letting the ball sneak back out. It does happen, but not very often. Print one out and give it a shot as I'd love to hear more feedback. Enjoy the files!

85fce1108ae53671239054a013c788667b416248 (resized).jpg85fce1108ae53671239054a013c788667b416248 (resized).jpg
#9955 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Yep, I also heard a lot of the same complaints before getting one:
1. Boring
2. Bare playfield
3. Floaty
4. Long ball times
5. Multiball heavy
Being a huge LOTR/Hobbit fan, and already owning an LOTR pinball (don't mind long ball times), I took the plunge. I'm so glad I did. The music, the callouts, lighting, gameplay variety, full assets from the movie, etc make this game amazing.
With that being said, is it as great for people who don't care for the movies? I think it is still the least liked of the JJPs by most players.

I've gotten to the point that when someone says they don't like Hobbit, I feel they either haven't actually played it or are morons. The game is my favorite in my collection.

#9956 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I've gotten to the point that when someone says they don't like Hobbit, I feel they either haven't actually played it or are morons. The game is my favorite in my collection.

Having a game in your home so you can understand the rules and callouts makes a big difference. I didn't like it either on a casual pass, now that we own one I like it a lot.

#9957 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Having a game in your home so you can understand the rules and callouts makes a big difference. I didn't like it either on a casual pass, now that we own one I like it a lot.

Same

#9958 3 years ago

I also wonder how many people only tried the game on early code. That might make a difference in their opinions on the game.

#9959 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Two things it does for me (besides using the third flipper more):
-help complete pop bumper objectives.
-get shots at the lit dwarf target after pops more consistently.

#9960 3 years ago

No doubt, that one little mod is a game changer for the better.
Must give thanks again to its creator: Trumpanche
On a side note, would like to know what JJP thinks of this.

#9961 3 years ago

It has been a week since my Hobbit Le has left the building . I'm pretty sad that is has gone but it was the only way I could afford GNR . Hopefully I can get enough money to have it back someday . Mine played fast and the flippers weren't mushy , it was the most immersive game I've ever played . I've never brought into the third Flipper was useless , there's over 20 things you can hit .
GNR better be worth it .
I did have it for over 3 years and sold it for 1k more than what I paid , I'm just sad to see it go .
I know people will hang shit on me but I rated it a perfect 10 .

#9962 3 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

On a side note, would like to know what JJP thinks of this.

Considering how much is in the game , if JJP wanted the gate there , they would have put it in .

#9963 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

It has been a week since my Hobbit Le has left the building . I'm pretty sad that is has gone but it was the only way I could afford GNR . Hopefully I can get enough money to have it back someday . Mine played fast and the flippers weren't mushy , it was the most immersive game I've ever played . I've never brought into the third Flipper was useless , there's over 20 things you can hit .
GNR better be worth it .
I did have it for over 3 years and sold it for 1k more than what I paid , I'm just sad to see it go .
I know people will hang shit on me but I rated it a perfect 10 .

Getting rid of games you like is tough. Im in for a gnr as well but no space and dont want to sell any that I have. So...Im shipping off one of my games to one of my kids. Im sure the sting of it leaving will lessen with GNR. Good luck!

Quoted from screaminr:

Considering how much is in the game , if JJP wanted the gate there , they would have put it in .

Im not so sure. They may rethink that position after so many people are pleased with this mod. But than again designers are less likely to approve of any new design they are not part of. Still,would like to know.

#9964 3 years ago

Its changed my game completely!

It really does change the game completely! I never realized how crappy the pop bumper actions was until I installed Trumpanche's gate.

You go IN the front door of Bag End, and OUT the back door - otherwise the dreaded Sackville-Baggins will see you leave and no doubt want something. This is known.

trumpanche (resized).jpgtrumpanche (resized).jpg
#9965 3 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Getting rid of games you like is tough. Im in for a gnr as well but no space and dont want to sell any that I have. So...Im shipping off one of my games to one of my kids.

I'm going to reverse engineer that idea... If I can get my Dad into pinball then he can ship me his excess machines! Excellent strategy there!

#9966 3 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Getting rid of games you like is tough. Im in for a gnr as well but no space and dont want to sell any that I have. So...Im shipping off one of my games to one of my kids. Im sure the sting of it leaving will lessen with GNR. Good luck!

Im not so sure. They may rethink that position after so many people are pleased with this mod. But than again designers are less likely to approve of any new design they are not part of. Still,would like to know.

Thanks mate , I think I'm in for a lot longer wait than I initially thought .
Yep , lots of people seem happy with their gate mod , I just wouldn't consider one because I never felt ripped off by sdtm drains and the game wasn't designed that way , but each to their own , whatever makes you happy .

#9967 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

My thoughts are that the gate is cheating. With 100% of your balls feeding to the upper flipper, you'll essentially have infinite kick backs (as hitting the captive ball from the pops lights your kickback). So another mod you could do would just put a rubber band on your left outlane, I guess.

Of course I jest, but the other shot is perfectly lined up... once you've accumulated your kick back would be to aim for the lit drop, which doing x amount lights extra ball. It will make the game WAY easier.

Otherwise I do enjoy the idea of it. Especially considering some modes use the pop bumpers in very creative ways.

#9968 3 years ago

I'm glad everyone is excited about the gate, but I personally want to play the game as designed.

#9969 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Thanks mate , I think I'm in for a lot longer wait than I initially thought .
Yep , lots of people seem happy with their gate mod , I just wouldn't consider one because I never felt ripped off by sdtm drains and the game wasn't designed that way , but each to their own , whatever makes you happy .

I feel the same way. I've set my pop switches super tight so I get lots of action. I also try and nudge it so it feeds the flipper.

#9970 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

My thoughts are that the gate is cheating. With 100% of your balls feeding to the upper flipper, you'll essentially have infinite kick backs.

Hmm - my gate installation is about 80% feeds the flipper - 20% still get through. Reverse those percentage before the gate installation.

#9971 3 years ago

Seems to work for me, thanks!
I ran some thicker regular pinball gate wire.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#9972 3 years ago

That's about how mine plays too @pinballcharlie, but maybe 90%...

Doctor6 - I hadn't even thought about tweaking my kickback settings! But now that you've inspired me, I think I agree with you: The default settings are too easy - we should have to earn those from shots off the third flipper! I'll try these new settings, then get frustrated , and then make them easier until it "feels" fair

One of the things I really enjoy about Hobbit is that you don't feel like you get cheated with outlane drains; I really enjoy the kickback and ring save you can earn. The Stern "sling-sling-outlane-drain" is NOT my favorite way to play pinball as a casual player (if you've played the new Turtles, you know what I mean...)

Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Hmm - my gate installation is about 80% feeds the flipper - 20% still get through. Reverse those percentage before the gate installation.

IMG_1791 (resized).jpgIMG_1791 (resized).jpg
#9973 3 years ago

Can I ask Hobbit owners on ver 3.10 when the 'Extra' and 'Ball' is available and you shoot them do you get awarded and extra ball?
As I don't get awarded one, the hole shots work and I have extra balls on in the menu.

#9974 3 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Can I ask Hobbit owners on ver 3.10 when the 'Extra' and 'Ball' is available and you shoot them do you get awarded and extra ball?
As I don't get awarded one, the hole shots work and I have extra balls on in the menu.

It works for me. Check to see what the maximum extra ball setting is. You could be exceeding that so it wont award it to you.

#9975 3 years ago

Stupid question: you know you have to hit them BOTH, right?

#9976 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

It works for me. Check to see what the maximum extra ball setting is. You could be exceeding that so it wont award it to you.

This is my software setting, strange thing is I can not changed the stacked extra balls.

20210308_071954 (resized).jpg20210308_071954 (resized).jpg

Yes I know I need to hit both shots.

#9977 3 years ago

This is my software setting, strange thing is I can not changed the stacked extra balls.
[quoted image]

What happened when you reset all your settings? Same problem?

#9978 3 years ago

[quoted image]

If you change the maximum extra balls to unlimited, it will probably fix it. That changes stacked to unlimited automatically also.

#9979 3 years ago

Hobbit not awarding extra balls update.

Tried upping the maximum extra balls from 4 to unlimited, still no extra balls awarded.

Did a factory reset and played a game got extra balls, so progress.

#9980 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'll tell you exactly why a lot of people hate it... They don't know how to set up a pinball machine to save their life!

#9981 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I'll tell you exactly why a lot of people hate it... They don't know how to set up a pinball machine to save their life!

And I suspect operators set them up too flat on location, making the game "floaty" for those who tried it on location.

#9982 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

And I suspect operators set them up too flat on location, making the game "floaty" for those who tried it on location.

Absolutely! I've seen it myself!!

#9983 3 years ago

When you see Led Zeppelin and Stranger Things above Hobbit in the Top 100. You can take it with a truck load of salt!

#9984 3 years ago

My wind lance ramp was rattling and I discovered I have a missing mount bolt, pretty sure it was never there in my time with this game. I put the rubber on it to protect the plastic. Tightened the next connector up that was loose. Anyone ever see this issue? Is this a wood screw / mount bolt combo part that would thread into the hole left here? Thanks!

4AF8F4D2-CC7D-4EE9-90FC-7B6FFA414F27 (resized).jpeg4AF8F4D2-CC7D-4EE9-90FC-7B6FFA414F27 (resized).jpeg
#9985 3 years ago

Does anyone have a link to the gate mod?

#9987 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

Does anyone have a link to the gate mod?

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1305-trumpanche-mods/04739-gate-at-bag-end-mod-for-the-hobbit

If you don't want to or don't have the ability to 3D print your own.

#9988 3 years ago

Or if you want to support the guy who invented it.

#9989 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

My wind lance ramp was rattling and I discovered I have a missing mount bolt, pretty sure it was never there in my time with this game. I put the rubber on it to protect the plastic. Tightened the next connector up that was loose. Anyone ever see this issue? Is this a wood screw / mount bolt combo part that would thread into the hole left here? Thanks!
[quoted image]

Looks like the add-on ball hang fix is missing from that area that JJP sent out when new.

#9990 3 years ago

My fellow adventurers, does anyone have the Smaug mouth adjustment numbers we should use in order to not burn out that servo motor? I think I remember seing someone post the adjustment numbers for open and close, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Since I bought mine used, I can't tell if it was ever done. That is the reason why I would like to compare against someone's numbers who has made the adjustment.

TIA

#9991 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

That is the reason why I would like to compare against someone's numbers who has made the adjustment.

Check post 9609

LTG : )

#9992 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

My fellow adventurers, does anyone have the Smaug mouth adjustment numbers we should use in order to not burn out that servo motor? I think I remember seing someone post the adjustment numbers for open and close, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Since I bought mine used, I can't tell if it was ever done. That is the reason why I would like to compare against someone's numbers who has made the adjustment.
TIA

Those numbers can vary greatly depending on the servo. Pull the glass off, go into the setting and adjust each until the servo is making no noise at either max position. To be safe, back it off a few points more from those numbers. Then you will know for sure you are not over driving the servo and binding it. You don't need crazy range of motion for the jaw movement to match the speech well. Less in this case, is more.

#9993 3 years ago

Thank you, both! What are the default values? Just wondering if previous owner already made the adjustment.

#9994 3 years ago

This game is incredible. Future classic for sure

#9995 3 years ago

Hmm. I totally stink at Barrel Escape and any modes the highlight the pops.

#9996 3 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Hmm. I totally stink at Barrel Escape and any modes the highlight the pops.

Get the gate mod.

#9997 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Those numbers can vary greatly depending on the servo. Pull the glass off, go into the setting and adjust each until the servo is making no noise at either max position. To be safe, back it off a few points more from those numbers. Then you will know for sure you are not over driving the servo and binding it. You don't need crazy range of motion for the jaw movement to match the speech well. Less in this case, is more.

GTO - I think that was a good explanation from @reaper802! Mine are at 110 and 125, just for reference, but like Reaper says, listening to the motor was key for me. BTW - if you're adjusting the mouth position and you hear the servo motor running and running, but don't see the mouth moving, you might try my rubber band "fix" also.
Example of sticky mouth movement:

Example after the rubber band is added:

#9998 3 years ago

Looks like the add-on ball hang fix is missing from that area that JJP sent out when new.

Could someone post a picture of what it should look like? Sorry for the trouble, thanks in advance!

#9999 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm glad everyone is excited about the gate, but I personally want to play the game as designed.

it was originally designed without the shot through the pops. They changed that last minute when Keith suggested to add another shot to get more balls in the pops and they added the target in the back. This was posted on the JJP forum years ago. It’s still in my mind but I have no link to the actual message.
The Bag End was only a target originally.

Quoted from zaphX:

Or if you want to support the guy who invented it.

Yeah! Support the inventor!!

#10000 3 years ago
Quoted from greeneye:

This game is incredible. Future classic for sure

It's a current classic , people just don't realise it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.50
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 22.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 200 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/200?hl=reaper802 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.