20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 260.
#951 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

A few uses...re-lighting kickback at the captive ball when the ball drops out of the pops, kicking over barrels after the ball leaves the pops to work towards an extra ball, and the mode where you have to hit the Smaug targets following a kickback to the right orbit (and killing Smaug in Smaug multiball). It's useful for hitting the Orc or goblin beasts if running out of time too.

I never understood nor supported all of the negativity regarding the 3rd flipper. But now as an owner, I honestly don't see all that much value in it.

99% of the time, an upper flipper shot is not good for much. Certainly nothing specific that you can't hit with the other flippers.

It doesn't make the game suck, but it sure could've been better if there was a rewarding shot attainable only by the upper flipper (i.e., TSPP Treehouse ramp.)

Perhaps future rules might make it more purposeful, but the current uses offer very few reasons to defend it.

#952 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I never understood nor supported all of the negativity regarding the 3rd flipper. But now as an owner, I honestly don't see all that much value in it.
99% of the time, an upper flipper shot is not good for much. Certainly nothing specific that you can't hit with the other flippers.
It doesn't make the game suck, but it sure could've been better if there was a rewarding shot attainable only by the upper flipper (i.e., TSPP Treehouse ramp.)
Perhaps future rules might make it more purposeful, but the current uses offer very few reasons to defend it.

Those weren't reasons enough? *shrug*

#953 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Those weren't reasons enough? *shrug*

No, I don't feel those reasons offer much.

I understand those are the reasons for it, though. Other than the killing Smaug, it doesn't add much value.

Whatever lack of purpose of the upper flipper, it does not compromise the game, nor provide a valid reason to hate the game. It is still a good game.

#954 7 years ago
Quoted from Phantom1911:

My first unboxing video.
» YouTube video

Haha great video!

Note to self; when I get a hobbit I better take a week off work for setup time lol.

#955 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Haha great video!
Note to self; when I get a hobbit I better take a week off work for setup time lol.

Thanks! And start hitting the weights now! If you're as dumb as I am and do the setup by yourself, you'll need it.

#956 7 years ago

So my plunger isn't hitting the ball strong enough each time to hit the F in dwarf. Any suggestions or do we live with it being inconsistent? It hits hard enough probably less than half the attempts now.
Also, what level is good for the kick back setting? Mine automatically fires it to the right hole instead of the orbit that I thought it should be.

#957 7 years ago

Is your plunger adjusted so that it hits the center of the ball ?

LTG : )

#958 7 years ago

Looks slightly off Lloyd. How do I adjust exactly? I'll look at it again tonight. Thanks

#959 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

How do I adjust exactly?

Three screws inside hold the whole assembly on. Loosen a little and position where you'd like and retighten.

#960 7 years ago

Sorry, dumb question before looking. Got it done. Thanks again

#961 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Sorry, dumb question before looking.

No need to be sorry for wanting to learn and do it right.

Excellent !

#962 7 years ago

To be fair LTG, the stock spring is pretty weak-sauce to begin with if your PF is above 6 degrees. Switching it over to the blue spring gives you more leeway for multiple skill shots. (Including the hard plunge easy "F" target.)

#963 7 years ago

Yep I'm having the same issue. I did alignment with not much change. Quick way to determine if the stronger spring is what you need, hit the plunger with your hand to bottom out the barrel Spring. If you can hit the F then the spring is what you need.

#964 7 years ago

Noticed that Version 1.21 seems to have removed the splashing water in the book display when you hit the barrel bumpers. I really got a kick outta that. Actually I was amazed at the creativity that was involved in that. ?

#965 7 years ago

What's the most points that anyone has seen for a skill shot? I just got one for over 19k points, and that was by hitting only 3 of the 4 rollovers.

#966 7 years ago

It looks like I'm getting good contact on plunge now, but it's still weak. Better, but still not hitting the F much.

#967 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What's the most points that anyone has seen for a skill shot? I just got one for over 19k points, and that was by hitting only 3 of the 4 rollovers.

I think 18 or 19 something for me...the rollovers are definitely the most rewarding. If you don't have to press the ring button it's worth more and successive skillshots are worth more too. If you miss the K and get the C, O, and L that's worth more than getting the K, C, and O and missing the L. You always at least want the L.

#968 7 years ago

Does anyone have issues with the lock 2 LED not flashing the correct color in attract mode? Its only off or green during the game so it works fine.but during attract thr entire PF would be pink and that 1 led is blue.
The board revision is 1.1

#969 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Does anyone have issues with the lock 2 LED not flashing the correct color in attract mode? Its only off or green during the game so it works fine.but during attract thr entire PF would be pink and that 1 led is blue.
The board revision is 1.1

No, not at all. I bet your red is out on that LED board. I think they're a combination of red, green, and blue leds.

#970 7 years ago

Yeah I think you are right. Its not mine. Just one of the early prototype ones on display at a distro.

#971 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

A few uses...re-lighting kickback at the captive ball when the ball drops out of the pops, kicking over barrels after the ball leaves the pops to work towards an extra ball, and the mode where you have to hit the Smaug targets following a kickback to the right orbit (and killing Smaug in Smaug multiball). It's useful for hitting the Orc or goblin beasts if running out of time too.

Surely it wouldn't be difficult to code the 3rd flipper into the game?

Could you code that hitting Smaug with 3rd flipper is like worth a triple hit or something? Or hitting Smaug only registers with 3rd flipper?

#972 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Could you code that hitting Smaug with 3rd flipper is like worth a triple hit or something? Or hitting Smaug only registers with 3rd flipper?

Since you can't hit Smaug with the ball at all, I'm thinking no.

#973 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Since you can't hit Smaug with the ball at all, I'm thinking no.

Ah, ok, well, something else then

#974 7 years ago

Hi guys , Can anyone help me wanting to purchase some Mirror Blades for my HOBBIT SMAUG LE which design suits STERN BLADES OR B/W BLADES ?
Big thanks for any help .

#975 7 years ago

If you want high scores, proper use of the third flipper is key in my opinion. Small things like relighting kickback makes a huge difference. During multiball, it can be easier to hit the captive ball with the upper flipper because of all of the pop ups being up most of the time.

#976 7 years ago
Quoted from Tastysirloin:

Hi guys , Can anyone help me wanting to purchase some Mirror Blades for my HOBBIT SMAUG LE which design suits STERN BLADES OR B/W BLADES ?
Big thanks for any help .

Williams mirror blades work great. I have them in mine.

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Surely it wouldn't be difficult to code the 3rd flipper into the game?

How is the game suppose to know that the upper flipper is what was used?

#977 7 years ago

I keep having to bend the left ramp tin back down. Anybody else have this problem?

#978 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I keep having to bend the left ramp tin back down. Anybody else have this problem?

Do you have the p f protector ?

#979 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Yep. Try loosening the ramp screws so they aren't putting as much pressure on them.

#980 7 years ago

No pf protection on mine. I'll loosen them up some and see if that helps. Thanks guys

Oh, and TH was the hit of my 4th party hands down followed closely by woz. People loved it.

#981 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

No pf protection on mine. I'll loosen them up some and see if that helps. Thanks guys
Oh, and TH was the hit of my 4th party hands down followed closely by woz. People loved it.

The Stern machines are great - and I like them a lot, but JJP pins are very unique and very approachable to people that are new to pinball with their modern look. WOZ and Hobbit are certainly gorgeous and fascinating pins!

#982 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

How is the game suppose to know that the upper flipper is what was used?

How about if a very quick combo timer is written into the code between a made upper right orbit switch immediately followed by a made switch to an upper target or that left hole in single ball play?

The timing between these two switches would have to be super quick to eliminate the time it would take to travel down to the lower flipper.

Keith did a similar thing in LOTR with the Witch King mode writing code for a brief combo based on a short timer.

#983 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

How about if a very quick combo timer is written into the code between a made upper right orbit switch immediately followed by a made switch to an upper target or that left hole in single ball play?
The timing between these two switches would have to be super quick to eliminate the time it would take to travel down to the lower flipper.
Keith did a similar thing in LOTR with the Witch King mode writing code for a brief combo based on a short timer.

I think this already exists for the Thorin shot pinpimp listed.

#984 7 years ago

So what's the target in the right outlanes for? I've asked before and everyone said it's gollum ball save thing if active but it seem that activates on the outline switch.

Is it for a multiball ball save like woz?

#985 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

So what's the target in the right outlanes for? I've asked before and everyone said it's gollum ball save thing if active but it seem that activates on the outline switch.
Is it for a multiball ball save like woz?

Yes, it's for a multiball ball save or add-a-ball. It has zero to do with the Gollum ball save game. When it's active the right inlane GI lights strobe in a pattern towards the target. Pretty cool.

#986 7 years ago

I installed the troll fixes I made today and so far so good. The translucent white passes the light well enough and looks cool as it also lights up.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

If anyone wants these, we will print them for you and you can get them here: http://pinballbulbs.com/kits/hobbit

The price covers the hassle to print these, assemble the screws, package them and labor to ship them. We are not getting rich making these.

Also had one test game with these installed and it was the game of my life.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#987 7 years ago

Hey. What screw size did you use?

#988 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Hey. What screw size did you use?

#6 1/2" with hex head. It's pretty hard to get the parts installed without stripping all the trolls out. I used the hex head screws on one of the super long Klein magnetic nut drivers from pinballlife (http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1887) and was able to install all 4 without removing the trolls at all.

#989 7 years ago

Had my Smaug for a couple of days now and am loving it. I picked up a machine with less than 100 plays instead of waiting for JPP. Not sure how anyone calls this slow and floaty. Mine is set at 7 degrees and plays great.

I've got a problem and a question:

I hear a click-click-click sound out of the speakers during boot up and attract mode, does anyone else have that?

Why did JJP use rollover buttons instead of traditional rollover stars?

#990 7 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Not sure how anyone calls this slow and floaty.

It all depends on how you have it setup. I just played a Hobbit over the weekend in Rehoboth Beach, DE, and the game was SOOO slow and floaty. I can see why anyone who would play one setup like that could come away with a bad taste in their mouth.

#991 7 years ago

Really appreciate that link and kit for those beasts Markmon . Got mine ordered and price is right. Thanks

#993 7 years ago

My Hobbit isn't supposed to be in for a couple more weeks. Anyone know when JJP will be shipping Hobbits with the pop-ups already fixed?

#994 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

My Hobbit isn't supposed to be in for a couple more weeks. Anyone know when JJP will be shipping Hobbits with the pop-ups already fixed?

Have no idea - Jen used to send out monthly updates of what was going on at JJP. I haven't seen one in a while. Perhaps she will soon with where they are right now in the preorder progress and more information about the troll fixes. She also can do a cool update about the code progress (which is great). And perhaps an update on the Hobbit Manual? Is that out yet?

#996 7 years ago

Got 1.6M last night! Knocked my daughter completely off the high score list - she's not happy about that...

Game is incredible so far...! So very glad I didn't bail during the wait. There were a number of times I was ready to make the call and get my money back. I did learn that I'm not a preorder kinda guy - so I won't be doing that again!!

Looking forward to the next code update - the modes, light show, sounds, etc. are all fantastic already - only going to get better!

#997 7 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Got 1.6M last night! Knocked my daughter completely off the high score list - she's not happy about that...
Game is incredible so far...! So very glad I didn't bail during the wait. There were a number of times I was ready to make the call and get my money back. I did learn that I'm not a preorder kinda guy - so I won't be doing that again!!
Looking forward to the next code update - the modes, light show, sounds, etc. are all fantastic already - only going to get better!

Nice story. Now update your Pinside collection! I only kid. But congrats on bullying your daughter out of the GC spot. Now let her play

#998 7 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

I got a pool table earlier this year, and my daughter hadn't played before - but now she wins most of the time.

Oh, and the posters on the wall are telling the names of my first pins

Goronics_Basement_(resized).JPGGoronics_Basement_(resized).JPG

#999 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I installed the troll fixes I made today and so far so good.

Thanks for making these ordered some today!

#1000 7 years ago

Where did you guys get the blue shooter spring? Pinball life is down, does anybody else have it? I couldn't find one on other sites.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.