IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,995 posts in this topic. You are on page 187 of 260.
#9301 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

So my Hobbit has been out of commission for about a month now. I have had the game since March, second owner, the game had about 100 plays on it when I got and has a little over 1000 now. Looking to see if anyone can help. Need a different set of eyes to see if they can catch something we didn't. I have spent about 10 hours troubleshooting this with different JJP tech support.
One day it was working fine, never had a problem with booting up or crashing mid game. They next day I go to turn it on the game doesnt boot correctly. The big lcd says no signal, the small book lcd turns blue and says VGA upside down, the playfield lights dont come on, nor does the topper lights. The IO board lights turn on, the amplifier board lights turn on, all the small boards mounted underneath the playfield lights turn on, the mother board fan comes on, as well as other power like the coin door lights.
Troubleshooting I did was got the multimeter out tested the voltage on the motherboard battery and the 12 pin connector seated on the mother board. They tested fine, 3 volts, 5 volts, and 12 volts all where they are supposed to be. Tried the jump start with a paperclip and didnt work(although mine has a wire basically built in as a jump start, pic below). Took off the big lcd screen and hooked the game up to a separate monitor which wouldn't boot. Reseated the long green chip on the motherboard(forgot the name of it). Basically reseated every connector in the backbox and bottom of the cabinet. Everything looked fine and nothing helped.
So I sent the motherboard into JPP since thats what they suggested. Said maybe it needed to be reflashed or the BIOS restored. JPP said the motherboard tested fine and there was nothing wrong with it. They sent it back, I put everything back together, booted it back up and still has the same problem. JPP mentioned it might be the power supply but I dont have a back up one to test. Although the 1st rep I worked with kind of ruled that out as the motherboard voltages were all reading right when we measured them with my multimeter.
So here I am asking for any suggestions. I am out of options other than calling back into JJP again to start troubleshooting anything we might have missed. Please help if you can think of anything. Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I had a WOZ go down and it was a connector that I did not notice had come out - I was chasing the CPU board for a bit and like somebody else said it was a power supply board - get this part https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q8SUYHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title and see if you can rule out the power or rule it in as the issue. For me the telling sign was the fans would power on for a second then kick off. Also I did the reseat of the memory prior to finding the power issue, and did not seat that back in well, so once I solved the power supply issue I found I had created another that acts in the same way, so if you reseated the memory prior to sending out you should be fine as JJ checked your board, if you did it after try that one again as well.

#9302 3 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

I had a WOZ go down and it was a connector that I did not notice had come out - I was chasing the CPU board for a bit and like somebody else said it was a power supply board - get this part amazon.com link » and see if you can rule out the power or rule it in as the issue. For me the telling sign was the fans would power on for a second then kick off. Also I did the reseat of the memory prior to finding the power issue, and did not seat that back in well, so once I solved the power supply issue I found I had created another that acts in the same way, so if you reseated the memory prior to sending out you should be fine as JJ checked your board, if you did it after try that one again as well.

That tester won't put a load on the power supply. I've seen way to many over the years that test fine but can't handle the load when hooked up. I stopped carrying my tester and just carry an extra power supply. It's just as fast to hook up a spare power supply as it is to hook up the tester.

#9303 3 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

That tester won't put a load on the power supply. I've seen way to many over the years that test fine but can't handle the load when hooked up. I stopped carrying my tester and just carry an extra power supply. It's just as fast to hook up a spare power supply as it is to hook up the tester.

Your 100% wrong - sorry just trying to pass the day by getting into a internet fight... thanks for the info - will help me down the road for sure.

#9304 3 years ago

Don’t you guys ever sell these? Been waiting for one to come up for a month.

#9305 3 years ago

Not getting mine.

#9306 3 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

get this part amazon.com link » .

I had to laugh at the Floppy Disk Drive interface! WTF?

#9307 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I had to laugh at the Floppy Disk Drive interface! WTF?

I sell a lot of floppy disk drives to machine shops.

Older CNC machines still use them.

#9308 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I sell a lot of floppy disk drives to machine shops.
Older CNC machines still use them.

I never would have guessed! But that makes sense.
Even the real 5 1/4" floppies?

#9309 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I never would have guessed! But that makes sense.
Even the real 5 1/4" floppies?

Actually the "real" floppies you are thinking about were the 12" ones for the control data drives in 1975.
I have a couple customers that use those on their AS-400 computers.

On some of the very old CNC, yes. But most of those have been updated to the 3.5" ones.
On some of them I have put a wireless floppy adapter to talk to a PC. But in a lot of cases it just doesnt work.

#9310 3 years ago

Actually the "real" floppies you are thinking about were the 12" ones for the control data drives in 1975.
I have a couple customers that use those on their AS-400 computers.
On some of the very old CNC, yes. But most of those have been updated to the 3.5" ones.
On some of them I have put a wireless floppy adapter to talk to a PC. But in a lot of cases it just doesnt work.

I remember those 12" monsters! LOL! I forgot about those!! Ya, that was a real floppy!!

#9311 3 years ago

hello, my mini jack bord on front for head phones is on but pluging headphones do nothing, no sound in and sound still on on the cabinet. RJ45 plugs are good, set on unmute or mute doesn't matters, somebody had this issue?

#9312 3 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

Agreed, the next logical step would be the power supply at this point since the motherboard checked out good..

Well I tested with a different power supply and that didn't help. JJP has me sending back my motherboard again, along with the security dongle this time. As well as my stock power supply and hard drive. They are thinking at this point it might be the security dongle or some connection between these 3 parts. At this point I have no idea. Packing everything up this morning to send in. Wish me luck......

#9313 3 years ago

Just got a hobbit as a rental in home. Love it, but would like a clearer view of the rules. Google it, and there seem to be no flow-chart or such for the rules post ver 3.0
Will the earlier links to rules etc suffice?

I´ve rented stern jp, dialed in, stranger things, and sofar hobbit seems truuly awesome in comparision.

#9314 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Just got a hobbit as a rental in home. Love it, but would like a clearer view of the rules. Google it, and there seem to be no flow-chart or such for the rules post ver 3.0
Will the earlier links to rules etc suffice?
I´ve rented stern jp, dialed in, stranger things, and sofar hobbit seems truuly awesome in comparision.

So let's look at the monitor. The middle has all these hexagons with pics in them. Those are the 31 modes. As you qualify them (look at the top of the monitor, that shows you what to do to unlock those modes to play), you can play them and get a piece of arkenstone. You will see these little diamond shapes that need to fill the areas around the playfield. Completing a mode fills that little shape on the top.

The bottom left you will see the beast locks. It took me a few plays to understand this. When you roll over the lit up inlanes, you will see they correspond with one of the beast (goblin, spider, warg, orc). When you roll it over as it is lit, the corresponding beast pops out of the playfield. You must bash them as they are out to lock in that beast. You will know on the playfield that it has been done, as a gold triangle like shape will stay lit. Light them all to do beast multiball, and that will get you an arkenstone mode.

Top left is LOCK. This basically keeps track of you locking the balls by rolling over L O C K, then locking the ball for smaug multiball. Start that multi ball to get an arkenstone. The top right is a map to your destination. Spinner hits makes the map progress. Simple. Finish it, get a piece of arkenstone.

Lastly, the bottom right are all the dwarves. Collect them all to start feast frenzy, and an arkenstone piece. You can see where their pictures are all around the playfield.

Do all of that. Boom. Mini wizard mode. The harder the mode you complete, the more that mode pays out. Sure, you can do a one star mode and beat it in one shot... good luck scoring points in the mini wizard mode.

And.... that's honestly the majority of the game. Keep doing that to keep advancing through the trilogy of movies. There's more to learn, but that's like 85% of it! This game's monitor tells you almost everything you need at all times. It's why I find it hard to go back to DMD games. They did a fantastic job showing you everything going on in the game in this one screen.

#9315 3 years ago
Quoted from Thot:

hello, my mini jack bord on front for head phones is on but pluging headphones do nothing, no sound in and sound still on on the cabinet. RJ45 plugs are good,

Try unplugging the small plug that goes to the small board the head phones plug into. Turn it 180 degrees and plug it back in.

LTG : )

#9316 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So let's look at the monitor. The middle has all these hexagons with pics in them. Those are the 31 modes. As you qualify them (look at the top of the monitor, that shows you what to do to unlock those modes to play), you can play them and get a piece of arkenstone. You will see these little diamond shapes that need to fill the areas around the playfield. Completing a mode fills that little shape on the top.
The bottom left you will see the beast locks. It took me a few plays to understand this. When you roll over the lit up inlanes, you will see they correspond with one of the beast (goblin, spider, warg, orc). When you roll it over as it is lit, the corresponding beast pops out of the playfield. You must bash them as they are out to lock in that beast. You will know on the playfield that it has been done, as a gold triangle like shape will stay lit. Light them all to do beast multiball, and that will get you an arkenstone mode.
Top left is LOCK. This basically keeps track of you locking the balls by rolling over L O C K, then locking the ball for smaug multiball. Start that multi ball to get an arkenstone. The top right is a map to your destination. Spinner hits makes the map progress. Simple. Finish it, get a piece of arkenstone.
Lastly, the bottom right are all the dwarves. Collect them all to start feast frenzy, and an arkenstone piece. You can see where their pictures are all around the playfield.
Do all of that. Boom. Mini wizard mode. The harder the mode you complete, the more that mode pays out. Sure, you can do a one star mode and beat it in one shot... good luck scoring points in the mini wizard mode.
And.... that's honestly the majority of the game. Keep doing that to keep advancing through the trilogy of movies. There's more to learn, but that's like 85% of it! This game's monitor tells you almost everything you need at all times. It's why I find it hard to go back to DMD games. They did a fantastic job showing you everything going on in the game in this one screen.

Thanks alot. Super.

#9317 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

Well I tested with a different power supply and that didn't help. JJP has me sending back my motherboard again, along with the security dongle this time. As well as my stock power supply and hard drive. They are thinking at this point it might be the security dongle or some connection between these 3 parts. At this point I have no idea. Packing everything up this morning to send in. Wish me luck......

Wishing you luck. I had assumed that they had tested your MB, ram and security dongle to rule out all of those possible issues. I have a new MB on the shelf as well as ram for the hobbit as I was concerned about the distant future and knowing how computer parts can fail etc. I have a new MB for POTC as well.

#9318 3 years ago

So.....
Hobbit is my fourth rental. (three months each) i've had it for five days.
The first three were jp(stern), dialed-in, and stranger things.
Sofar hobbit has easily been the most fun.
I've played twenty games or so and there seem to be a lot to do and explore.
Managed into the fire twice, best wizard mode experience, i've ever had. So cool and the music at the last stages fit perfectly.

Really icing on the cake that smaug the mighty went down tonight and thus from now on i have the title of dragonslayer.

Yay!

What a game

#9319 3 years ago

Guys, JJP store has full plastic set for The Hobbit for $49.99!

Don't walk, run!

http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/The-Hobbit-Parts/Hobbit-Printed-Plastics-Set.html

#9320 3 years ago

Same deal for Dialed-in plastics set.

#9321 3 years ago

Shoved that into junk mail without looking at it this morning. Thanks for letting us know! I'm in.

#9322 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Don't walk, run!
http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/The-Hobbit-Parts/Hobbit-Printed-Plastics-Set.html

Done!

Thanks!!!

#9323 3 years ago

What was your shipping cost? To Cali was 47.00 UPS or JJ low cost, estimate via email.

#9324 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Don't walk, run!

Done! its a steal! thanks!

#9325 3 years ago

Done! its a steal! thanks!

Yeah, if you are planning on keeping the game for a while it is a no-brainer. Dirt cheap price for a complete plastics set.

#9327 3 years ago

Does anyone know the correct LEDs to use for the spotlights? Is it 12-volt, #906 bayonet?

Thanks,
Brian

#9328 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Does anyone know the correct LEDs to use for the spotlights? Is it 12-volt, #906 bayonet?
Thanks,
Brian

JJP Part Description 555 LED, 12V, 4-Chip, Cool White

#9329 3 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

What was your shipping cost? To Cali was 47.00 UPS or JJ low cost, estimate via email.

Ship Via: JJP Arranged Shipping (Lowest-Rate Shipping Quote will be sent via e-mail, +$3.00 S&H)

Added over 3 years ago:

Mine was $3.00

#9330 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Thanks,
Brian

Wedge 555 and I would use Sunlight.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/opmax-12v

#9331 3 years ago

I have those in natural white. Keep falling out. I glued them in like JJP did and one still melted the glue and fell out. More glue!

#9332 3 years ago

Played tonight with headphones plugged in for the first time, and wow!!!

It really immerses you in the game when you're plugged in with noise cancellation.

Definitely appreciate the sound package even more after trying this!

#9333 3 years ago

Hey I’m new to this game. Are the beast targets always supposed to register a hit film both the front and the back? During a multiball I had a ball stuck behind the orc and it wasn’t until the multiball ended and the orc dropped down that the ball released. Should a hit have been registered and it dropped or is this normal? Thanks!

#9334 3 years ago

Hits from the back don’t normally register unless they hit hard enough to trigger the front switch. There is a backstab feature with the ring button, but I don’t know if it does much.

#9335 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I have those in natural white. Keep falling out. I glued them in like JJP did and one still melted the glue and fell out. More glue!

Bend the metal leads out, wrap electrical tape around the base of the bulb, bend leads back, reinstall bulb. They will never fall out again.

#9336 3 years ago

anyone have a Rules link or directions so that I can understand this game better

#9337 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

anyone have a Rules link or directions so that I can understand this game better

Why there's nothing to shoot for...
Oops sorry yes there is one online at
http://tiltforums.com/t/hobbit-pinball-rulesheet/1360

#9339 3 years ago

Having so much fun, but now the F in DWARF has gone crazy jumping up and down like crazy. I´ve done the testing and while the other targets pop up, so does F, but this one goes right back down again. I´m guessing it´s sensor for getting hit, but would it go down then in test mode?
Is it only thoose four star screws holding up the entire target bank?

Suggestions?
I want to play, but dont fancy getting deaf over the jackhammer f.
Does that rime?

#9340 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Having so much fun, but now the F in DWARF has gone crazy jumping up and down like crazy. I´ve done the testing and while the other targets pop up, so does F, but this one goes right back down again. I´m guessing it´s sensor for getting hit, but would it go down then in test mode?
Suggestions?
I want to play, but dont fancy getting deaf over the jackhammer f.
Does that rime?

Yes its pretty easy to pull out the whole assembly to look at it.

When new, mine actually fell out, lol.
Glue the screws in with titebond III, or a good wood glue when re-assembling.

#9341 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Some connectors for coils and optos. 4 screws.

Check the steel wall for broken parts holding coils and thin part where drop target rests on.

LTG : )

#9342 3 years ago

So I had the best game ever, yesterday, and discovered that there is literally no limit to your ring button value when lit purple. When in a mode, every 10 switch hits will charge the ring up and the value keeps going for seemingly ever. I was cashing in as high as 14,000 points per button press. It got to the point that nothing in the game was scoring as much as me charging the button. I'd just hit an orbit spinner and hit that button like I was collecting pizzas or shooting down tie fighters.

My final score was just a hair south of 4 million, and that was with only getting to one wizard mode and doing terrible therein (scored like 150k).

#9343 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So I had the hest game ever, yesterday, and discovered that there is literally no limit to your ring button value when lit purple. When in a mode, every 10 switch hits will charge the ring up and the value keeps going for seemingly ever. I was cashing in as high as 14,000 points per button press. It got to the point that nothing in the game was scoring as much as me charging the button. I'd just hit an orbit spinner and hit that button like I was collecting pizzas or shooting down tie fighters.
My final score was just a hair south of 4 million, and that was with only getting to one wizard mode and doing terrible therein (scored like 150k).

I have never once hit the ring button for points...

#9344 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

I have never once hit the ring button for points...

When it is purple, you get 1000 points. Then 1100, then 1200.... soon it can get out of hand. Bring a multiball into a mode and just chop away at that beautiful purple button.

#9345 3 years ago

Before my "F" went crazy. Four wiz modes and one dead dragon. Fun as heck.

Resized_20201026_214747[1] (resized).jpegResized_20201026_214747[1] (resized).jpeg
#9346 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Don't walk, run!

Done!
Thanks for the heads up!

#9347 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

Ram stick was bad. Wish they would have seen that the 1st time I sent the mother board in. All is well now. Finally back up and running. He'll yeah!

20201105_154406 (resized).jpg20201105_154406 (resized).jpg
#9348 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

Ram stick was bad. Wish they would have seen that the 1st time I sent the mother board in. All is well now. Finally back up and running. He'll yeah![quoted image]

Hooray! Glad you're up and going again!

#9349 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

Ram stick was bad. Wish they would have seen that the 1st time I sent the mother board in. All is well now. Finally back up and running. He'll yeah![quoted image]

Good news!

#9350 3 years ago

I have an unopened, 5 piece set of Cliffys for Hobbit. $55 shipped, so a savings of $10 + shipping costs.

IMG_4313 (resized).JPGIMG_4313 (resized).JPGIMG_4314 (resized).JPGIMG_4314 (resized).JPG
Added over 3 years ago:

sold

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,995 posts in this topic. You are on page 187 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/187?hl=reaper802 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.