20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 185 of 260.
#9201 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

pinballinreno 7.1 degrees WHERE? My playfield seems to be bowed by about a degree from the ramps to the flippers... I currently have it set at 7.5-ish at the ramps and 6.5-ish at the flippers. Shoots good enough for my skill level I think?
Anyone else have this kind of inclination difference from the top to the bottom of the playfield?

Almost every game is like that, which is why I always ask specifically where people are measuring.

Also take into consideration that inserts, even slightly raised will throw off the level.

I use the same torpedo level that you have, and also a small one that fits just about anywhere on the pf.

But I find the change in slope from top to bottom more drastic on Hobbit than other pins I've levelled.

Not exactly sure why.

#9202 3 years ago

My Hobbit sits around 7.3 incline. Just scored 3,695,XXX. Killed Smaug and played all three Arkenstone mini-wizard modes. The through issue I've been having still happens from time to time (about every other day). I had tightened the connectors at the opto board, but tonight I did the same at the I/O board. Tugged on all the wires and did not notice any loose ones. Then I went on a game that was over an hour long with no issues, so hopefully that is the end of that (fingers crossed).

#9203 3 years ago

Question for everyone: how hard is it to update the code? Will I still keep all my scores? I'm running version 2.96 and I noticed that the game forgot I was Into The Fire champion. Read up on it and sounds like that was an issue which was addressed by a code update.

Second question: what is everyone's recommended maintenance schedule? How often do you clean and wax the playfield? Do you have to grease the gears on the Smaug head every certain amount of time?

#9204 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

pinballinreno 7.1 degrees WHERE? My playfield seems to be bowed by about a degree from the ramps to the flippers... I currently have it set at 7.5-ish at the ramps and 6.5-ish at the flippers. Shoots good enough for my skill level I think?
Anyone else have this kind of inclination difference from the top to the bottom of the playfield?

Yup. Lots of weight in those mechs. Quite a bit of flex in the Pf.

#9205 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

measure in 3 locations and try to get an average, its the best you can do.

#9206 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Question for everyone: how hard is it to update the code? Will I still keep all my scores? I'm running version 2.96 and I noticed that the game forgot I was Into The Fire champion. Read up on it and sounds like that was an issue which was addressed by a code update.
Second question: what is everyone's recommended maintenance schedule? How often do you clean and wax the playfield? Do you have to grease the gears on the Smaug head every certain amount of time?

Its easy to update the code.

Back up your settings and scores before you do it.
I save them on a separate flash drive and then copy the files to a folder on my computer for safe keeping.

You never know when a SSD drive will fail. I keep backups periodically whenever a new hi score is acheved.

#9207 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

I wax the playfield and replace the balls every 350 to 400 games played.

My game looks like brand new after thousands of plays.

Probably not a bad idea to inspect Smaug every waxing.

#9208 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

My game looks like brand new after thousands of plays.

No dimpling? Mine shows some dimpling already due to the ocassional airballs. Otherwise, no other playfield issues. I bought it with 82 games played and I'm probably up to 120-150 (haven't checked the number recently).

#9209 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

No dimpling? Mine shows some dimpling already due to the ocassional airballs. Otherwise, no other playfield issues. I bought it with 82 games played and I'm probably up to 120-150 (haven't checked the number recently).

Dimples are normal and even out after a few thousand plays.

#9210 3 years ago

What are used for the post sleeves in this game? Are they just standard post rubbers, or thinner?

#9211 3 years ago

I'm installing a lighting mod and need a splitter to grab power from the topper. What type of connector is that?

#9212 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

What are used for the post sleeves in this game? Are they just standard post rubbers, or thinner?

I switched from Titan Standard post sleeves to the Titan Stern Tapered post sleeves and have been happy with them. I have a full color matching kit uploaded to the Titan website with photos. Those photos can also be found in this thread.

#9213 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:I switched from Titan Standard post sleeves to the Titan Stern Tapered post sleeves and have been happy with them. I have a full color matching kit uploaded to the Titan website with photos. Those photos can also be found in this thread.

I need to shop out my Hobbit. I just ordered your "kit" from Titan. Thanks for taking the time to do this... looks great.

#9214 3 years ago

My book screen stopped working about a month ago trouble shot it and decided the screen needed to be replaced. I called JJP and they told me the screen was going to be around $70. I found a replacment for $30 shipped.
https://www.buydisplay.com/lcd-4-3-inch-tft-display-module-in-480x272-vga-video-av-driver-board
I ordered it on the 21 of September and came today. Installed and works great.

#9215 3 years ago

Someone on the GNR hype thread said The Hobbit Playfield was bare and lacked shots .
I thought I would correct him .
Did I miss anything .

IMG_20201002_211722 (resized).jpgIMG_20201002_211722 (resized).jpg
#9216 3 years ago

Dude. The playfield DOES look bare. I dont blame people for that impression. But it is packed af.

#9217 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Dude. The playfield DOES look bare.

Just because it looks bare , doesn't mean it is . There are 4 bash toys in the middle of the playfield ( as you know ) .
If someone says the Playfield is bare as a statement of fact , it should be pointed out they're wrong .

#9218 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

Just because it looks bare , doesn't mean it is . There are 4 bash toys in the middle of the playfield ( as you know ) .
If someone says the Playfield is bare as a statement of fact , it should be pointed out they're wrong .

I'm simply saying that I don't blame first impressions. It is idiotoc to not play it and run your mouth saying it is bare/boring, as the game is absolutely incredible.

#9219 3 years ago

I sold this game about a year ago and greatly miss it. It doesn't have much shot satisfaction like loops or ramps you want to hit over and over again but it has some of the best pinball "moments" that I have ever experienced. For example, in Stranger Things the first and second wizard modes have no energy. I don't really care if they end quickly because I never emotionally get pulled into them. Hobbit is the exact opposite. Its wizard modes are incredible and pulled me in every time. Not to mention trying to kill Smaug, I don't think I've every been more invested in a game then when you have that one shot left to kill him.

So why did I sell it? At the time it was either own this 1 game or 2 other games. I decided to go with options instead of just 1. Also my non pinball friends were intimidated by it. There is so much going on that they really never had any idea what to hit or shoot for. With that said... If they ever add coop mode to this game I WILL buy it again. That way I can work with my friends/family and explain what WE are trying to accomplish together instead of them just watch me play.

#9220 3 years ago

Put it on 10 ball play and go. CoOp solved.

#9221 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Put it on 10 ball play and go. CoOp solved.

People say this all the time but it is not the same. You want to keep the players separate with a separate coop score table.

#9222 3 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

People say this all the time but it is not the same. You want to keep the players separate with a separate coop score table.

And you don't want a high score to save in this scenario....

#9223 3 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

My book screen stopped working about a month ago trouble shot it and decided the screen needed to be replaced. I called JJP and they told me the screen was going to be around $70. I found a replacment for $30 shipped.
https://www.buydisplay.com/lcd-4-3-inch-tft-display-module-in-480x272-vga-video-av-driver-board

Wow, thanks for sharing.
I've been having issues with my small LCD screen losing blue colors intermittently.
Knowing this screen works (at a much lower price) will stop my procrastinating and I'll just replace the damn thing.

#9224 3 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

stupid question (for people like me) what options do we order?

#9225 3 years ago

You don’t need the touch panel or the remote. Just the basics. Also on the metal piece that holds the screen I had to adjust it. Mine was digging into the the cable between the board and the display.

#9226 3 years ago

The kit comes with the screen and board. It was a very straight forward replacement.

#9227 3 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

The kit comes with the screen and board. It was a very straight forward replacement.

I'm having an issue plugging the copper cable into the board. Suggestions

20201002_212617 (resized).jpg20201002_212617 (resized).jpg
#9228 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

I'm having an issue plugging the copper cable into the board. Suggestions[quoted image]

The white connector has a brown bar on the back - see it? You have to flip that forward, insert the cable and then push the brown bar back down.

#9229 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

Someone on the GNR hype thread said The Hobbit Playfield was bare and lacked shots .
I thought I would correct him .
Did I miss anything .
[quoted image]

LOL - this is great. Everyone's obsessed with subways - might as well mention those too And doesn't that mean 4 holes? Balin, Radagast, Smaug & Erebor? hmmm...

#9230 3 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

You don’t need the touch panel or the remote. Just the basics. Also on the metal piece that holds the screen I had to adjust it. Mine was digging into the the cable between the board and the display.

Thanks

#9231 3 years ago

Is it just me, or do you guys also love hearing Azog's laughter at the beginning of Into The Fire?

#9232 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Is it just me, or do you guys also love hearing Azog's laughter at the beginning of Into The Fire?

Nope you are not alone, absolutely epic!

#9233 3 years ago

Can one of you guys with the new screen get a picture of it in action? I know this is a low res display but I always felt like the JJP supplied LCD was kind of low light washed out looking. I'm curious if the replacement is any better quality. I ordered one because JJP doesn't have any listed in their store.

#9234 3 years ago

I'm not home to grab q pic but it did seem a little brighter

#9235 3 years ago

Does this game use standard post sleeves, or the thinner Stern style?

#9236 3 years ago

584C1832-E73F-4461-9F26-47527CC2CDC5 (resized).jpeg584C1832-E73F-4461-9F26-47527CC2CDC5 (resized).jpeg674A68AA-97D4-4852-A4D5-987ADE00FCDD (resized).jpeg674A68AA-97D4-4852-A4D5-987ADE00FCDD (resized).jpegBBEE8B44-9875-464F-ABDA-B5263EF4B2C4 (resized).jpegBBEE8B44-9875-464F-ABDA-B5263EF4B2C4 (resized).jpeg

#9237 3 years ago

Sorry about the blurry picture my phones fault.

#9238 3 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

Sorry about the blurry picture my phones fault.

Looks perfect.

#9239 3 years ago

Looks red to me

#9240 3 years ago

It looks more red in the pictures then how it is in the game.

#9241 3 years ago
Quoted from Sijcolo:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think that actually looks better than the screen I have. I understand some colors are a real bugger to capture. It definitely looks like colors are more prominent in the new LCD. Thanks for taking the time to post pics.

#9242 3 years ago

Does this game use standard post sleeves, or the thinner Stern style?

I recommend the Slim Tapered Stern style from Titan. That's what I put in the kit I build for Titan after testing standards.

#9243 3 years ago

Beat Smaug last night which is pretty epic, and then got to the three mini wizards. I had one ball left, so thought maybe I could try for TABA. I decided to cheese it, and time out all the modes. Got 21 of the down, but then the mode ramp would not like light.

I read in the rules that modes first need to be qualified? How do you qualify all the modes?

#9244 3 years ago

How do you qualify all the modes?

By playing the game, shooting all the drop and standing targets, holes, ramps, etc...

#9245 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

By playing the game, shooting all the drop and standing targets, holes, ramps, etc...

Is there a way to qualify all modes earlier on? Or how can you tell what needs to be hot to qualify?

Like in LOTR, I know to hit the white shots to start the mode.

#9246 3 years ago

How do you qualify all the modes?

The modes are made "available" when you qualify "either" Gandalf, Bilbo or Radagast. Once that's obtained they modes become available/changeable via shooting the left ramp.
Scroll down to modes section:
http://tiltforums.com/t/hobbit-pinball-rulesheet/1360

#9247 3 years ago

You also need the ELF, MAN, and, DWARF targets. Some modes require more than one qualifier. Take some time and watch the Buffalo Pinball vs JJP Hobbit head to head battle on YouTube, it will answer all your questions.

#9248 3 years ago

Updated from version 2.96 to 3.10. Really enjoy having the added callouts, light sequences, and tracking of the completed stages in the Arkenstone modes. Also, am I crazy or are the green lights shining on the bottom of Smaug new? Well, probably not "new" since the bulbs are already there, but definitely used more in non-Smaug multiball sequences so that I got to notice them now.

#9249 3 years ago

I got my Lior mods in and they look AWESOME. As always great quality and fun times adding them to my games.They definitely make the games more high end even though JJPs are already great looking. The legs hanging out of the barrel is totally funny and if you know the story totally fitting for the game:}

IMG_7704 2 (resized).jpegIMG_7704 2 (resized).jpegIMG_7705 (resized).jpegIMG_7705 (resized).jpegIMG_7706 2 (resized).jpegIMG_7706 2 (resized).jpeg
#9250 3 years ago
Quoted from Crumbalimb:

I got my Lior mods in and they look AWESOME. As always great quality and fun times adding them to my games.They definitely make the games more high end even though JJPs are already great looking. The legs hanging out of the barrel is totally funny and if you know the story totally fitting for the game:}
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Who sells those Mods they look great

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 185 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/185?hl=reaper802 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.