20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 183 of 260.
#9101 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

My son (16) and I were playing Hobbit last night to see which one could get to Battle of the Five Armies. Neither of us did last night, and rarely do. We though it would be cool if Hobbit had a coop mode that allowed the players to continue trying to get as far as they could. Seems like this is the perfect game for that...
Any chance JJP will implement Co-Op in Hobbit?

Simple, switch it to a 10 ball game and swap back and forth.

#9102 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Simple, switch it to a 10 ball game and swap back and forth.

I though about that, but I do like having separate scores so you can see who did the most damage - and who 'won'

Also keeps the challenge going between players - "hey, thanks for the locks!"

#9103 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

My son (16) and I were playing Hobbit last night to see which one could get to Battle of the Five Armies. Neither of us did last night, and rarely do. We though it would be cool if Hobbit had a coop mode that allowed the players to continue trying to get as far as they could. Seems like this is the perfect game for that...
Any chance JJP will implement Co-Op in Hobbit?

Totally agree with this!!!
It's how I beat my ACNC.
It actually has two co-op modes. Either player 1 and 3 against player 2 and 4, or 2 to 4 players against machine.
I can't think of a better game than Hobbit for this feature!

#9104 3 years ago

Joining the club later today!

Any issues) damage I should look out for?

Also, how many balls does the game take?

#9105 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

5 balls - and one behind the newton ball (it will already be there I would think).

As for damage, the Hobbits I have seen don't typically have a problem area for excessive wear, but I would check the following:

1. Make sure all the drop targets work - can go up and down. If one can't you will need to replace the spring.
2. Ensure that the beasts (popups) come up and down smoothly - and that they don't trigger automatically when coming up. If it does you may have to lightly adjust the leaf switch.
3. Check to be sure that Smuag head turns, and the mouth goes up and down. Go into Settings - Tests - Smaug (or something like that)

That's all I can think of right off.

#9106 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

5 balls - and one behind the newton ball (it will already be there I would think).
As for damage, the Hobbits I have seen don't typically have a problem area for excessive wear, but I would check the following:
1. Make sure all the drop targets work - can go up and down. If one can't you will need to replace the spring.
2. Ensure that the beasts (popups) come up and down smoothly - and that they don't trigger automatically when coming up. If it does you may have to lightly adjust the leaf switch.
3. Check to be sure that Smuag head turns, and the mouth goes up and down. Go into Settings - Tests - Smaug (or something like that)
That's all I can think of right off.

Also I understand that the old ramp flaps curl up? Make sure they have been upgraded or st least dont have any curl.

#9107 3 years ago

Tests, Device test. Run all of these. Should cover you. Remember to pull out the isolator switch by the coin door.

#9108 3 years ago

Finally feel like I have made this machine mine by bumping previous owner from Grand Champion score (I know I could have just reset the scores when I bought it, but not really my style):

IMG_20200924_215228 (resized).jpgIMG_20200924_215228 (resized).jpg
#9109 3 years ago

Also, don't judge my score. I've only owned it for two weeks.

#9110 3 years ago

Got the game set up, and had a few little issues to sort out, but one I'm still dealing with is the ball needing several attempts to get into the shooter lane from the trough.

Any suggestions?

#9111 3 years ago

Got the game set up, and had a few little issues to sort out, but one I'm still dealing with is the ball needing several attempts to get into the shooter lane from the trough.
Any suggestions?

Is it making it into the lane and falling back in or just constantly trying to get into the lane but not making it? You could go into the Settings Menu and increase the strength of the Trough coil to start with. Also check the metal part of the trough at the exit to the shoot lane - might need adjusting so that it's a bit wider so the ball can get out easier. If it's popping into the lane but then dropping back in the trough then you can adjust the metal part so that it's a bit smaller and or decrease the coil strength in the Coil Settings menu.

#9112 3 years ago
Quoted from mjfisher:

Is it making it into the lane and falling back in or just constantly trying to get into the lane but not making it? You could go into the Settings Menu and increase the strength of the Trough coil to start with. Also check the metal part of the trough at the exit to the shoot lane - might need adjusting so that it's a bit wider so the ball can get out easier. If it's popping into the lane but then dropping back in the trough then you can adjust the metal part so that it's a bit smaller and or decrease the coil strength in the Coil Settings menu.

It's not making it out of the trough. It looks to be hitting something and dropping back down. Does it 3-4 times and then finally gets out to the shooter lane.

#9113 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Also, don't judge my score. I've only owned it for two weeks.

You doubled my score and I got mine shortly before you. I'm really starting to wonder why I bother with pinball. lol I think I am going to switch from 3 to 5 ball.........

#9114 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

You doubled my score and I got mine shortly before you. I'm really starting to wonder why I bother with pinball. lol I think I am going to switch from 3 to 5 ball.........

Ya, that's what I do! I blame it on my age.

#9115 3 years ago

It's not making it out of the trough. It looks to be hitting something and dropping back down. Does it 3-4 times and then finally gets out to the shooter lane.

Well known issue: try this:

http://www.pinplay.com/5/adjusting_the_ball_trough_on_woz.html

#9116 3 years ago

Also, can someone tell me where the posts should be by default factory setting. Mine are here as shown in photos.

And, what rubbers were used on this game as stock? Did they go traditional rubber or silicone?

Thanks!

IMG_20200925_123922 (resized).jpgIMG_20200925_123922 (resized).jpgIMG_20200925_123928 (resized).jpgIMG_20200925_123928 (resized).jpg
#9117 3 years ago

My posts are in the middle... pretty sure that's factory.
White regular rubber is what mine had.

Enjoy!

#9118 3 years ago

Mine are either middle or wide open. I know they are hungry outlane for sure.... dammit.

#9119 3 years ago

Per the manual
White silicon
Black rubber on BA

#9120 3 years ago

Silicone like Dialed In had, not standard rubber correct?

And is the consensus that stock setting was posts in the middle?

And last thing, what's the best rules guide to refer to? There's way too much going on with this game.

#9122 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

I was a bit lucky on that one. My previous high score was only 1,866,XXX so definitely had everything working for me on this one, including getting one more extra ball on my last ball.

#9123 3 years ago

Also, can someone tell me where the posts should be by default factory setting. Mine are here as shown in photos.
And, what rubbers were used on this game as stock? Did they go traditional rubber or silicone?
Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Lol the original owner needed to shrink the outlanes. Probably sold it because ball times were too high

#9124 3 years ago

Just so I have it right...

Factory settings had outlanes in the middle, and the rubbers on the game are silicone, like Titans?

Also, what was on the flippers from the factory?

#9125 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Finally feel like I have made this machine mine by bumping previous owner from Grand Champion score (I know I could have just reset the scores when I bought it, but not really my style):[quoted image]

Congrats!
I've had my Black Arrow for exactly 4 weeks now and almost hit 5 Million 2 nights ago.
made it the 5th level of Battle of the Five Armies on an epic 2 hour game!
Shoulders are still a little sore.
Lol
Wish I could've seen all the action on the screen, those Arkenstone modes can get intense.

New Champ (resized).jpgNew Champ (resized).jpgOld Champ (resized).jpgOld Champ (resized).jpg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#9126 3 years ago
Quoted from dabear007:

Congrats!
I've had my Black Arrow for exactly 4 weeks now and almost hit 5 Million 2 nights ago.
Lol
Wish I could've seen all the action on the screen, those Arkenstone modes can get intense.

Nicely done! That is my only issue with the Hobbit, the fact that I don't get to enjoy all the cool animations, especially during those Arkenstone modes.

#9127 3 years ago

Can someone take a photo of the left and right outlane posts on a machine that only you've owned and has not been changed from factory setting.

Thanks!

#9128 3 years ago
Quoted from dabear007:

Congrats!
Lol

Oh you are just showing off now. Haha. Nice work. I killed Smaug twice so that gives me some satisfaction although it was by accident. I had no idea it was going to happen.

#9129 3 years ago

Can someone take a photo of the left and right outlane posts on a machine that only you've owned and has not been changed from factory setting.
Thanks!

The standard for most machines, including Hobbit, is the middle. spot. This doesn't matter though, put them wherever you like. That's why there are multiple positions. taylor the game till it plays the way you want it to.

#9130 3 years ago

What about flipper alignment. Does everyone center them on on the playfield hole? Mine were a little high and I moved them to center. Not sure if the previous owner set them differently or if it was stock.

#9131 3 years ago
Quoted from mac2444:

The standard for most machines, including Hobbit, is the middle. spot. This doesn't matter though, put them wherever you like. That's why there are multiple positions. taylor the game till it plays the way you want it to.

I prefer playing at factory default. If I clear the game, I like to know I'm playing it the way it came.

Personal preference.

Thanks!

#9132 3 years ago

Thanks!

This is the right outline straight out of the box , white rubber , the left lane is the same , in the middle .

Screenshot_2020-09-27-01-34-19-53 (resized).pngScreenshot_2020-09-27-01-34-19-53 (resized).png
#9133 3 years ago

Thanks!

From the factory:

Outlane holes in the center position.

The rubber is white STC rubber, it plays the best IMHO.
Oddly the center post uses a silicone ring on it from the factory.

I have complete rubber kits from JJP for TH and WOZ, both are STC rubber. They exactly match the original game as I bought them at the same time as the games.

I find that perfect play green opaque flipper rubbers play the best on this game.

I have tried them all.

Clean the rubber with either wildcat rubber cleaner (RC88)or ronson bottled lighter fluid (VM&P naptha) on a q-tip.

It will last longer.

Clean glass with sparkle glass cleaner, the playfield can be wiped down with wizards mist n shine between waxings with biltz 1000 or P21S silver.

Mist n shine is also a great plastic cleaner. Its a little better than novus 1 as it has a little more wax in it.

#9134 3 years ago

Anyone else ever have issues with the 5-ball through? I got an error stating to check connectors, switches, and 12v power. Did all that, reseated the connectors at the ball through opto as well as the lower left I/O board and the issue went away temporarily. However, it came back after about 20 minutes.

Here is what it does:

-If in the middle of play, flippers go dead, ball drains, but it does not register that the ball has drained (seems to think it already drained and maybe that is why flippers go dead?) and it does not kick out a new ball.
-Sometimes, if on multiball, it will just continue multiball when down to one ball but not kick out any more balls even if supposed to. Once the ball drains, no other balls come out.
-If at the start of a game, it will just not kick out any balls.

All of these will go on endless ball searches right afterwards.

Almost seems like a loose connector, but I have removed and reconnected all of them and it only provides a temporary solution. Anything else I could be missing?

#9135 3 years ago

sounds like a bad connection to one of the IR LEDs or photo transistors on the trough boards.

#9136 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

but I have removed and reconnected all of them

From ball trough to I/O board ?

LTG : )

#9137 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Anyone else ever have issues with the 5-ball through? I got an error stating to check connectors, switches, and 12v power. Did all that, reseated the connectors at the ball through opto as well as the lower left I/O board and the issue went away temporarily. However, it came back after about 20 minutes.
Here is what it does:
-If in the middle of play, flippers go dead, ball drains, but it does not register that the ball has drained (seems to think it already drained and maybe that is why flippers go dead?) and it does not kick out a new ball.
-Sometimes, if on multiball, it will just continue multiball when down to one ball but not kick out any more balls even if supposed to. Once the ball drains, no other balls come out.
-If at the start of a game, it will just not kick out any balls.
All of these will go on endless ball searches right afterwards.
Almost seems like a loose connector, but I have removed and reconnected all of them and it only provides a temporary solution. Anything else I could be missing?

Bad wire/crimp on the I/O board connector for the optos?

Check the schematic

I have found bad crimps all over my WOZ and Hobbit.

The workers sometimes are new and dont get them right.

Its not just JJP. I found bad crimps all over my Houdini too.

Tugging on single wires is scary but informative.

Be ready to fix them when you find them.

At some point im changing out the wal-nuts on my WOZ for lever nuts.

Its scary to see whole sections of the game power down by pulling on the big black hose lol.

#9138 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

From ball trough to I/O board ?
LTG : )

Yes, I think there were 3 connectors at the ball through and about 4-5 at the I/O board. I'll try again tonight and see what happens.

#9139 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Bad wire/crimp on the I/O board connector for the optos?
Check the schematic
I have found bad crimps all over my WOZ and Hobbit.
The workers sometimes are new and dont get them right.
Its not just JJP. I found bad crimps all over my Houdini too.
Tugging on single wires is scary but informative.
Be ready to fix them when you find them.
At some point im changing out the wal-nuts on my WOZ for lever nuts.
Its scary to see whole sections of the game power down by pulling on the big black hose lol.

So basically tug each wire at the connector and see if any come loose?

#9140 3 years ago

Finally ready to purchase this pin but I am a few years late! Is pinside market the best source or are folks scoring them elsewhere? I don’t want to settle on a new Stern or JJP’s October release since the immersive adventure of the Hobbit just can’t be duplicated from what I have played so far. Obtaining one now though seems pretty challenging. Any tips? Thanks.

#9141 3 years ago
Quoted from Ballsaversunite:

Finally ready to purchase this pin but I am a few years late! Is pinside market the best source or are folks scoring them elsewhere? I don’t want to settle on a new Stern or JJP’s October release since the immersive adventure of the Hobbit just can’t be duplicated from what I have played so far. Obtaining one now though seems pretty challenging. Any tips? Thanks.

Call around to the authorized JJP resellers for starters. Also call your local amusement vendors for routed machines.

#9142 3 years ago

From the factory:
Outlane holes in the center position.
The rubber is white STC rubber, it plays the best IMHO.
Oddly the center post uses a silicone ring on it from the factory.
I have complete rubber kits from JJP for TH and WOZ, both are STC rubber. They exactly match the original game as I bought them at the same time as the games.
I find that perfect play green opaque flipper rubbers play the best on this game.
I have tried them all.
Clean the rubber with either wildcat rubber cleaner (RC88)or ronson bottled lighter fluid (VM&P naptha) on a q-tip.
It will last longer.
Clean glass with sparkle glass cleaner, the playfield can be wiped down with wizards mist n shine between waxings with biltz 1000 or P21S silver.
Mist n shine is also a great plastic cleaner. Its a little better than novus 1 as it has a little more wax in it.

What is STC?

The manual shows silicone for all rubbers.

What were on the flippers from the factory?

#9144 3 years ago

What is STC?
The manual shows silicone for all rubbers.
What were on the flippers from the factory?

Mine has STC rubber. But its an early build.

I got my game before there was a manual.

My WOZ also has rubber but in black except for the sling under the munchkin playfield, its a 2" white rubber. The center post is a white silicone ring. Again an early build.

STC= Suzo Trading Company

A big supplier of pinball rubber, maybe the biggest.

Silicone is a great choice.

Titan is an awesome rubber company.

#9145 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

So basically tug each wire at the connector and see if any come loose?

Yep.

#9146 3 years ago

Mine has STC rubber. But its an early build.
I got my game before there was a manual.
My WOZ also has rubber but in black except for the sling under the munchkin playfield, its a 2" white rubber. The center post is a white silicone ring. Again an early build.
STC= Suzo Trading Company
A big supplier of pinball rubber, maybe the biggest.
Silicone is a great choice.
Titan is an awesome rubber company.

I'm confused... You guys are saying standard white rubber, but manual shows silicone. I have a Smaug edition.

#9147 3 years ago

Grab one used. They are a real bargain when they come up.

#9148 3 years ago

I'm confused... You guys are saying standard white rubber, but manual shows silicone. I have a Smaug edition.

Use the silicone, it plays great!

I like it on some games, others i like rubber.

On my Doctor Who i put rubber.

On my funhouse i put silicone.

I think Hobbit is a great game for silicone.

#9149 3 years ago

They come up all the time in the market. Just be patient and check often. I just scored one a few weeks back.

#9150 3 years ago

So my hobbit small lcd isn't working. Did this once before during a mb but a power cycle fixed it. No such luck now. Happened again during mb. Connections appear to be solid. I did however see this connector. Not sure if normal or not.

20200926_235828 (resized).jpg20200926_235828 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 183 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/183 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.