20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 181 of 260.
#9001 3 years ago

To fix the ramp you could try to use UV plastic repair. I have not personally used it but the stuff dries hard enough to sand in seconds when applying UV light. If you ran a bead of that stuff I would have to imagine it would work and since it's clear it would look good too.

#9002 3 years ago

Hi all,

I'm officially part of the club....picked up a nice Gold Smaug last night... I've been trying to tear through this thread to find out everything and anything I can about the machine.....one thing I couldn't find much information on (likely I'm just not looking hard enough) is more information on protecting the playfield kickout holes where the ball enters...I'm likely going to order the Cliffy's....but they don't seem to protect the inside of the holes where the ball will first hit when it enters. Is is necessary? I'm afraid over time these holes will take a beating more than the outside where the cliffy's protect.

Thanks all,
Greg

#9003 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Hi all,
I'm officially part of the club....picked up a nice Gold Smaug last night... I've been trying to tear through this thread to find out everything and anything I can about the machine.....one thing I couldn't find much information on (likely I'm just not looking hard enough) is more information on protecting the playfield kickout holes where the ball enters...I'm likely going to order the Cliffy's....but they don't seem to protect the inside of the holes where the ball will first hit when it enters. Is is necessary? I'm afraid over time these holes will take a beating more than the outside where the cliffy's protect.
Thanks all,
Greg

I have the cliffy's on both VUK holes, but they don't protect the 'sides' of the hole. To my knowledge there isn't anything that will protect that part of the playfield.

#9004 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:I have the cliffy's on both VUK holes, but they don't protect the 'sides' of the hole. To my knowledge there isn't anything that will protect that part of the playfield.

That is what I thought. I am noticing some wear around the inside of the holes which has me a bit concerned. May try to add a little something there.

#9005 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

That is what I thought. I am noticing some wear around the inside of the holes which has me a bit concerned. May try to add a little something there.

For what it's worth , these are just my observations .
I bought mine new in box , it has 718 started - 680 played .
I would guess the ball goes in and out of each hole at least 10 times a game ?
So the ball has gone in and out of these holes thousands of times .
The pictures don't really show it but they look as good as the day I brought it , there is no chipping , scratches or dents .
From what I've seen I would'nt stress about it .

IMG_20200909_234704 (resized).jpgIMG_20200909_234704 (resized).jpgIMG_20200909_234814 (resized).jpgIMG_20200909_234814 (resized).jpg
#9006 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Hi all,
Thanks all,
Greg

If you are getting wood fibers:
Clean with naptha.

You can rub the inside of the holes with a thin coat of clear epoxy. A THIN coat.

I just use a finger dipped in acetone to get a smooth and very thin finish.

Clean up with acetone.

This will protect and hold up well.

#9007 3 years ago

Yes, i'm feeling a little bit of fibers...thanks for the suggestion.

#9008 3 years ago

does any one have a left sling plastic available that I can buy? Please let me know

hobbit (resized).jpghobbit (resized).jpg
#9009 3 years ago

My machine didn't come with a tilt plum bob. Anything special about the one that comes with it or will a common Stern type work just fine?

#9010 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

My machine didn't come with a tilt plum bob. Anything special about the one that comes with it or will a common Stern type work just fine?

JJP uses the williams setup for modern games.

Its listed in the manual with all the part numbers.

Download the manual from JJP website if you dont have it already.

#9011 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

JJP uses the williams setup for modern games.
Its listed in the manual with all the part numbers.
Download the manual from JJP website if you dont have it already.

Great. Thank you.

#9012 3 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

I need help, fellow Hobbitses.
My playfield lights and Smaug frequently lock up during gameplay. You can see an example of it here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/491641015?t=828s
(It happened a few other times during that stream too).
I’ve heard it may be an issue with the BAG board so I reseated connections on it and replaced the USB cable, but it’s still happening. I was going to bite the bullet and buy a new BAG board but I don’t see any on the JJP site. Any troubleshooting recommendations appreciated. Thank you!

KevInBuffalo - did you end up having to replace that BAG board? I'm experiencing mid-game freeze-up of all the playfield lights... I've not noticed if Smaug freezes up at the same time though...

#9013 3 years ago
Quoted from Motorcitypinball:

does any one have a left sling plastic available that I can buy? Please let me know
[quoted image]

I think the typical approach is to use the plastic protector below the plastic to prevent ball/plastic contact.
But I don't have an extra plastic. Just a suggestion on how to protect the rest of your plastics.

#9014 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I think the typical approach is to use the plastic protector below the plastic to prevent ball/plastic contact.
But I don't have an extra plastic. Just a suggestion on how to protect the rest of your plastics.

The protectors are installed under the original. I acquired this machine and the plastic was broken. I installed the protector, and cannot find a replacement sling plastic. JJP sell a full plastic kit for $124 ish

#9015 3 years ago

Quoted from Motorcitypinball:Stern sell a full plastic kit for $124 ish

Stern?

#9016 3 years ago
Quoted from Motorcitypinball:

The protectors are installed under the original. I acquired this machine and the plastic was broken. I installed the protector, and cannot find a replacement sling plastic. Stern sell a full plastic kit for $124 ish

Double check in the cabinet to see if the goodie bag is in it, my Hobbit came with a different set of sling plastics(one without the slot for the weapon).

#9017 3 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Double check in the cabinet to see if the goodie bag is in it, my Hobbit came with a different set of sling plastics(one without the slot for the weapon).

Mine came with spare weapons and spare slotted sling plastics.

#9018 3 years ago

Mine came....with a rock.

#9019 3 years ago

Mine came with a grunt, and promptly fell asleep.

#9020 3 years ago

Yep same here. Not sure if that was standard on all models or not? I have a BA edition. Also came with extra drop target decals and I think beast mech top decals as well.

#9021 3 years ago

MIne did not come with spare plastics. That is why I am trying to hunt down a left sling

#9022 3 years ago

Just joined the club!!! Extremely excited this is now sitting right where it belongs (next to LOTR).

IMG_20200913_220258 (resized).jpgIMG_20200913_220258 (resized).jpg
#9023 3 years ago

That's a pretty fucking ordinary photo.

#9024 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Just joined the club!!! Extremely excited this is now sitting right where it belongs (next to LOTR).[quoted image]

Congrats! Enjoy the adventure!

#9025 3 years ago

Now, what are the must have mods? I've seen:

-Lior barrel legs (I must have this)
-Ring button plaque (need to get this as well)
-Bilbo's home (getting this)
-New shooter rod handle (can't believe they went so cheap with the stock one)
-Lior's book cover (probably not, I'm okay with the stock book cover)
-Barrel spotlights (maybe?)

Any others I'm not aware of?

#9026 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

That's a pretty fucking ordinary photo.

I took it with a potato. Will try to get a proper photo later.

#9027 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

I took it with a potato. Will try to get a proper photo later.

great comeback, you win.

#9028 3 years ago

Also, has anyone gotten the side art blades? Any pictures you could provide? Wondering how good they look.

#9029 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Hobbit is a rare pin who no need mods i think, have only barrels on flash lamps and lockbar button mod, maybe the bilbohome is next for me

#9030 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Also, has anyone gotten the side art blades? Any pictures you could provide? Wondering how good they look.

I have the gold ones and were installed by the previous owner. I do like them although the previous owner wasn’t careful when lifting the Playfield and scratched them up.

21B03599-8675-4504-9E3F-60CF80381899 (resized).jpeg21B03599-8675-4504-9E3F-60CF80381899 (resized).jpeg
#9031 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Just joined the club!!! Extremely excited this is now sitting right where it belongs (next to LOTR).[quoted image]

Congrats! That's the way you do it!

LOTR and HOBBIT (resized).jpgLOTR and HOBBIT (resized).jpg
#9032 3 years ago

They compliment each other well

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9033 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

I personally think the Throne of Erebor mod is a gorgeous mod and suits the original sculpts beautifully - and I'd say the price is a steal at https://www.pixelsarcadegames.com/product/hobbit-pinball-erebor-throne-mod/

IMG_2164 (resized).jpgIMG_2164 (resized).jpgIMG_2169 (resized).jpgIMG_2169 (resized).jpg
#9034 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

I personally think the Throne of Erebor mod is a gorgeous mod and suits the original sculpts beautifully - and I'd say the price is a steal at https://www.pixelsarcadegames.com/product/hobbit-pinball-erebor-throne-mod/ [quoted image][quoted image]

Good looking mod.

#9035 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Congrats! That's the way you do it!
[quoted image]

Love the gold trim on the head of your Hobbit!

#9036 3 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

They compliment each other well
[quoted image]

I wonder how many Hobbit owners also have an LOTR. By the way, the game is simply amazing! My family were all blown away by the game.

#9037 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

I wonder how many Hobbit owners also have an LOTR. By the way, the game is simply amazing! My family were all blown away by the game.

Yeah, true Tolkien fans

20200908_152542 (resized).jpg20200908_152542 (resized).jpg
#9038 3 years ago

This game requires so much focus for me. Many games I can just play, but something about Hobbit... I have to have 110% concentration.

#9039 3 years ago

For peeps with deepass pockets, like Dwarven golden pockets....

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1305980169396482049?s=19

20200915_194306 (resized).jpg20200915_194306 (resized).jpg
#9040 3 years ago

Is it normal for the rubber foot of the under Playfield bar to rest on top of the shaker motor?

#9041 3 years ago

I have the rear castors wound right up on this game. Just wondering if anyone has risers on the rear to reduce the wind and therefore make the game more stable. Ideas, photos or suppliers would be great. Thanks.

#9042 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Is it normal for the rubber foot of the under Playfield bar to rest on top of the shaker motor?

Yes in some cases it does, other times it is just a bit above the cover.

#9043 3 years ago

So the pinsider I bought this machine from had the Grand Champion score at 1,899,XXX. Well, on my second ball I had 1,850,000 or so and had already done Into the Fire and had Barrel Escape and Battle of the Five Armies lit up. I thought for sure I would beat the GC score, but then proceeded to epically choke on that last ball and finished with a 1,866,XXX score. FML...

At least I got the record for modes started, modes completed, beast slayer, etc. Don't know if I'll go on another run like that anytime soon (had multiple extra balls on that first ball), but it sure will be fun to try. Don't think this game will be leaving soon, if ever.

#9044 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

For peeps with deepass pockets, like Dwarven golden pockets....
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1305980169396482049?s=19
[quoted image]

Wow $2,800 US .
It is huge , around 40 inches wide and high .

#9045 3 years ago

How hard would it be or even possible to get a second Smaug and have it on top of the Back Box as a topper ?
I can picture him up there surrounded by gold & Treasure and a lit up arkenstone .

#9046 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

So the pinsider I bought this machine from had the Grand Champion score at 1,899,XXX. Well, on my second ball I had 1,850,000 or so and had already done Into the Fire and had Barrel Escape and Battle of the Five Armies lit up. I thought for sure I would beat the GC score, but then proceeded to epically choke on that last ball and finished with a 1,866,XXX score. FML...
At least I got the record for modes started, modes completed, beast slayer, etc. Don't know if I'll go on another run like that anytime soon (had multiple extra balls on that first ball), but it sure will be fun to try. Don't think this game will be leaving soon, if ever.

That's pinball. Get too confident and boom....dreams shattered... lol

#9047 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

That's pinball. Get too confident and boom....dreams shattered... lol

It's the worst when you're 100,000 from the GC with two balls to go and you lose your second last ball quickly and then you panic on your last ball .
I try to never look at my score until the game is over now .

#9048 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

It's the worst when you're 100,000 from the GC with two balls to go and you lose your second last ball quickly and then you panic on your last ball .
I try to never look at my score until the game is over now .

Yes. Best to try not to look at score. I do this all the time!

#9049 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

I try to never look at my score until the game is over now

Yes and no. Going "Into the Fire" with a crappy mode completed is not really worth it.

#9050 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

100,000 points is a LOT in the Hobbit... so, if that's your gap, don't count on getting it. ha!

Happens to all of us. The pinsider i bought mine from mentioned he really never "go into this game" My GC score is about 4M. And what a game that was.... I do this all the time tho. One game, first ball - Through Barrell escape and then got extras via "Mystery" "Score" "Mode Qualifiers" and then "Thorin"
So, 4 extras in the queue, plus the initial 2, and 'm still on the first ball...

Guess what happened.... lol! Drain / Drain / Drain / Drain / Drain game over....

I'm still chasing "There and Back Again" 24 modes is my best. It always seems to be my wall. And I can't beat Battle of the 5 armies nor barrel escape. I get there all the time, but can't beat them.

Oh, and if you are just getting into this game - wait until you kill Smaug... that is a GREAT pinball shot... one of the best ones out there. SOOOOO Satisfying.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 181 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/181?hl=tolls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.