Topic Stats

• 7,848 posts
  • 517 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by pinballinreno
  • Topic is favorited by 190 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,145 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Castle (resized).png
IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpg
182073EA-3A86-4714-A07D-DE14034970C6 (resized).jpeg
B7D506CB-DD8C-4B4D-A4C1-A02716D2C79C (resized).jpeg
FC83295A-EEBB-44D9-8B79-4FE11917D16A (resized).jpeg
20190903_191923 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7848 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 157.
#851 3 years ago
Quoted from TouchingEvil:

Please can someone tell me

There's a matrix with the differences floating out there but the highlights as I remember them are:

LE has better trim and numbered game - rules and gameplay are the same on all JJP models

Yes there's footage from all three movies but all the footage is not in the game yet because it's missing some mini wizard modes such as battle of the five armies.

#852 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

anything over 20k is pretty good.

just missed very good by 3,000 points in that video

#853 3 years ago
Quoted from B9:

There's a matrix with the differences floating out there but the highlights as I remember them are:
LE has better trim and numbered game - rules and gameplay are the same on all JJP models
Yes there's footage from all three movies but all the footage is not in the game yet because it's missing some mini wizard modes such as battle of the five armies.

Thank you Then its not bad if i only can get hold of a standard version ?

#854 3 years ago

Thank you Then its not bad if i only can get hold of a standard version ?

No, not bad...the standard is missing a few things like the axes on the slings and the barrel bumpers I believe. Same gameplay.

#855 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No, not bad...the standard is missing a few things like the axes on the slings and the barrel bumpers I believe. Same gameplay.

Ok If i can get Le i will buy that one but dont think its possible. One thing i do know is that i gonna buy one.

I have heard that they break easy ? I just gonna have it in my mancave

#856 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yes, shoot loops to advance towards Erebor. When it has been reached the loop inserts turn purple and the spinners make a different sound when hit. The "collect" super spinner jackpot shot is the captive ball, so avoid that until you're ready to cash in. You have a minute to jack the spinners before cashing in. I got it up to 45k once...anything over 20k is pretty good.

Cool, I just did it, cashed in for 27k. I'm loving all the modes that this pin has to offer.

#857 3 years ago

Ok If i can get Le i will buy that one but dont think its possible. One thing i do know is that i gonna buy one.

Reach out to a distributor as they may have an LE you can get now!

#858 3 years ago

I really think the LE is an excellent value over the standard. As was stated by others the gameplay is exactly the same as the LE so that is a huge positive for the standard game, but if you put value in the powder coated legs and cabinet armor, the molded barrels on the pop bumpers, Invisiglass, shaker motor and the audio controls on the coin door then I would recommend going with the limited. It's $500 more and you get a lot of value for that extra cash.

Reach out to the distributors. I bought my game from Automated and was lucky to get one very quickly.

#859 3 years ago

Hobbit is very easy to get right now. There are usually 2 for sale on Pinside. One just moved to sale pending. You can always buy the ones at shows. This is why I didn't preorder. I have my hobbit here that I just picked up. Many early preorders are still waiting.

#860 3 years ago

I just ordered an LE from automated this week and they have recently built LE and se on hand ready to ship. I'm now playing the waiting game for it to get here.

#861 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Hobbit is very easy to get right now. There are usually 2 for sale on Pinside. One just moved to sale pending. You can always buy the ones at shows. This is why I didn't preorder. I have my hobbit here that I just picked up. Many early preorders are still waiting.

Mark how are you liking TH so far? I cancelled my order about 1.5 years ago and am watching how TH code evolves, also watching for reviews from other pinsiders as they get to know their games.

#862 3 years ago

Does anyone else have problems with the windlance strength? A full strength fire will sometimes barely launch the ball to the center drain, other times it launches it all the way to Gollum but still not high enough to hit the man targets.

If the kickback is fired or the game auto fires a ball from a rest in position in the windlance it is fine. For example at the beginning of flashback, that shot makes it up to the right orbit pretty consistently. The issue only occurs when the strength meter is used to fire the ball at the man targets.

I also occasionally see the kickback fail to eject the ball with the first hit, but the second hit can send the ball out just fine.

#863 3 years ago
Quoted from goldant:

Does anyone else have problems with the windlance strength? A full strength fire will sometimes barely launch the ball to the center drain, other times it launches it all the way to Gollum but still not high enough to hit the man targets.
If the kickback is fired or the game auto fires a ball from a rest in position in the windlance it is fine. For example at the beginning of flashback, that shot makes it up to the right orbit pretty consistently. The issue only occurs when the strength meter is used to fire the ball at the man targets.
I also occasionally see the kickback fail to eject the ball with the first hit, but the second hit can send the ball out just fine.

I don't see any of those issues. It's a little inconsistent on strength, but generally close. I stop the moving bar for the strength meter basically at the tip of the spear and it generally hits the MAN targets. I have a problem with nudging the machine when it's screaming towards the left outlane, missing, and then in turn the kickback misses the ball and there's no ball save. I wish there was a ball save when it's supposed to kick the ball back in play (at least when it's in single ball play).

#864 3 years ago

How many of you guys in this thread has got their The Hobbit broken from out of the box ?

#865 3 years ago

How many of you guys in this thread has got their The Hobbit broken from out of the box ?

Mine was fine, couple simple adjustments and that's it. Game is great, very happy with it

#866 3 years ago

No damage on mine. I collected it directly from JJP and it was smooth sailing during the 1.5 hour drive home.

#867 3 years ago

No out of box errors on mine, just minor adjustments.

#868 3 years ago

I just picked up my Hobbit LE yesterday morning. I absolutely love it. I bought it from another collector locally. The only issue I have notice so far is Smaug’s Head and mouth wasn’t moving. I lifted up the playfield and noticed the connector in Smaugs head came undone. I re-connected it. It worked for a few games then stopped working again. Plugged it back in then after a few games the mouth stopped moving. I gave up and went to bed.

#869 3 years ago
Quoted from murfe88:

I just picked up my Hobbit LE yesterday morning. I absolutely love it. I bought it from another collector locally. The only issue I have notice so far is Smaug’s Head and mouth wasn’t moving. I lifted up the playfield and noticed the connector in Smaugs head came undone. I re-connected it. It worked for a few games then stopped working again. Plugged it back in then after a few games the mouth stopped moving. I gave up and went to bed.

Dosent sound good Hope you can fix it

#870 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I have a problem with nudging the machine when it's screaming towards the left outlane, missing, and then in turn the kickback misses the ball and there's no ball save. I wish there was a ball save when it's supposed to kick the ball back in play (at least when it's in single ball play).

Yes. This is extremely irritating and ruins a good game. Same if somehow the post is suppose to catch the ball but it manages to get past that and drain out the outlane. No ball save there either.

#871 3 years ago

The cardboard box on my Hobbit LE was pretty close to immaculate when I picked it up from my distributor. I didn't have a single scratch or flaw of any type cosmetically.

However, when I got the pin home and tried to unpack it from my car, when I tried to attach the first leg (which requires removing the bolts from the cabinet), I noticed that when I tried to put the bolts back on to secure the leg, there was nothing for the bolts to attach to. They just kept spinning.

Turns out that someone forgot to attach the leg plates with screws. So when I removed the bolts, the leg plate just dropped to the bottom of the cabinet.

This had the potential to be a real pain in the ass, as there was some discussion about having to unload the pin and put it flat on the ground, lift the pf, and attempt to attach/screw the leg plate on with a fully raised pf while flat on the ground. It would not be fun to try an pick that pin up from being flat on the ground, especially with no help.

So obviously I wanted to avoid this if at all possible. I could not fit my arm down the backbox holes, so I couldn't hold the leg plate in place while attaching the legs. However, I remembered that I had obtained this "claw" tool a couple of years back that I thought might come in handy one day. Well, this turned out to be that day!

I used the claw tool (pic attached) and put it down the hole in the back of the cabinet, grabbed the leg plate, and pulled it up and held it in front of the two bolt holes. Then I had my wife hold the leg on while I tried to thread the bolts into the leg plate. It took way fewer attempts to get things lined up than I thought it would. Once that was done, it was a piece of cake to get the pin up and running.

Pics attached show the one leg plate with zero screws, and the other leg plate with all 7 (!) screws properly attached.

Obviously what happened was someone attached the leg plate by lining it up and putting the bolts in, then they are supposed to go back and permanently attach it with the screws.... they forgot that last part.

The Goblin pop up figure also came loose and I had to re-attach it. Apparently the screws just weren't tight enough. Also, my spotlights, Smaug, and shaker were not working. Turns out I had a blown fuse. LTG helped me quickly resolve that issue.

So a couple QC issues, but the pin is working 100% now. Overall quality is very good.

IMG_1554_(resized).JPG
IMG_1555_(resized).JPG
IMG_1550_(resized).JPG

#872 3 years ago

When was the last time that we saw a pin that had skill shots as good as TH?

There is a lot more to these skill shots than just the ability to select different ones by using the Ring button.

For example, I just got my highest score yet for a skill shot. I selected the rollovers, which I've done many times before. This time, I tried to time the shot so the ball would not only hit all four rollovers (it did) but also hit them in sync with the moving flashing light. From what I can tell, I did exactly that, and my score for the skill shot alone was 18k points. The satisfaction of hitting all four rollovers combined with timing it with the rolling light was very satisfying to say the least.

#873 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Turns out that someone forgot to attach the leg plates with screws. So when I removed the bolts, the leg plate just dropped to the bottom of the cabinet.

Yup, happened to me on both the rear legs. As soon as I took the leg bolts out both brackets dropped into the bottom of the cabinet. Fished them out with a magnetic pickup tool. Methinks that someone in QA was a bit too much of an eager beaver to start their weekend early on a Friday afternoon.

Loving the game though.

#874 3 years ago

I love this pin!

IMG_1614_(resized).jpeg

#875 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I love this pin!

Great score!

did you get the gel for the backbox LED's?
It makes the backbox match the display colors.

#876 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Great score!
did you get the gel for the backbox LED's?
It makes the backbox match the display colors.

Yep, I added the filter this weekend.

I need to make some adjustments on it though. It's actually a bit too warm overall. Nimblepin had a great idea about staggering the gel so some of the LEDs won't be covered. I'm going to try to make the LEDs behind the bluer portions of the backbox not be covered with the filter.

#877 3 years ago

Well you have Lloyd in your corner for this title... can't get better than that if you have an issue.

#878 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yep, I added the filter this weekend.
I need to make some adjustments on it though. It's actually a bit too warm overall. Nimblepin had a great idea about staggering the gel so some of the LEDs won't be covered. I'm going to try to make the LEDs behind the bluer portions of the backbox not be covered with the filter.

I ended up using 2 layers of 1/4 CTO, it looks different than the 1/2 and yeah you can move the strips around a bit this way.

On the missing leg bracket screws, I have installed them on other games using a long magnetic extension on my screw gun, now that you have it up on its legs.

#879 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Well you have Lloyd in your corner for this title... can't get better than that if you have an issue.

Please don't forget Frank and Victor.

LTG : )

#880 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I have a problem with nudging the machine when it's screaming towards the left outlane, missing, and then in turn the kickback misses the ball and there's no ball save. I wish there was a ball save when it's supposed to kick the ball back in play (at least when it's in single ball play).

This is the exact same thing that would happen on my STLE. ST premium/LE owners all asked for a very short ball save to be implemented for this purpose, but it never was. Hopefully Keith will do this for Hobbit.

#881 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This is the exact same thing that would happen on my STLE. ST premium/LE owners all asked for a very short ball save to be implemented for this purpose, but it never was. Hopefully Keith will do this for Hobbit.

Put it up on the JJP forum. I bet Keith will do it. Still waiting for my Hobbit but at least I get to seen one soon!

#882 3 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Put it up on the JJP forum. I bet Keith will do it. Still waiting for my Hobbit but at least I get to seen one soon!

You're in for a treat, the wait was 100% worth it. I absolutely love this pin and what it offers. The code has developed nicely, the Into the Fire mini wizard mode is so well done. The call out, "Out of the Frying Pan, and Into the Fire" is epic. Can't wait for the other two Arkenstone modes to come in as well! I find The Hobbit has one of the most interesting multiballs in pinball. Waiting for the beast mechs to drop at certain times to hit jackpots is fun and the frantic 5 ball double (beast and smaug) is wild. Debating whether or not to bring in beast frenzy to smaug mb is a tough dilemma as it makes it harder to progress through Smaug, but the add a ball and ball save received from starting beast frenzy is oftentimes important. Killing Smaug and hitting the drop target at the perfect time was a huge rush of adrenaline.

When do you get your pin?

#883 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

When do you get your pin?

It should arrive in Australia in July then I will get it air freighted to New Zealand (which is amazingly reasonable). But, I am in California for July so I am hoping to get it in early August when I am back.

I at least get to see one soon though. Hopefuly this next weekend. None in New Zealand yet but there a few are heading over here

#884 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You need to adjust the delay for the kickback and it will almost never mess up

#885 3 years ago
Quoted from PerfectFlaw:

It will if you nudge the machine at the right (wrong) time, otherwise it never misses.

#886 3 years ago
Quoted from PerfectFlaw:

It does not mess up very often. Way more reliable that the one on STLE. But it would still be nice to have a very short ball saver for the times that the ball travels too fast to be saved.

#887 3 years ago
Quoted from clg:

It should arrive in Australia in July

Are they on a boat yet?
Pretty sure they just got packed from JJP factory on Thursday our time. Then has to get on a boat. So I think it would actually arrive with you in August anyways, but that's just a guess.

#888 3 years ago

So I got the call and my LE will be delivered tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to do first thing as far as checking loose parts or areas that mylar is recommended for?

#889 3 years ago

Last night, got an extra ball special - had to hit a roaming drop target, then once you hit that, you have to hit both the Radagast hole and Balin hole to collect the extra ball. I was surprised I hit the roaming target... then I drained before I get even attempt the hole shots!!!

Pretty damn cool sequence to get an extra ball! Kudos to Keith and Ted for that!

#890 3 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Last night, got an extra ball special - had to hit a roaming drop target, then once you hit that, you have to hit both the Radagast hole and Balin hole to collect the extra ball. I was surprised I hit the roaming target... then I drained before I get even attempt the hole shots!!!
Pretty damn cool sequence to get an extra ball! Kudos to Keith and Ted for that!

Without question one of the best rulesets for getting an EB in any pin that I've owned for a long time.

#891 3 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

I agree this is a cool sequence and very rewarding when you can get the extra ball. Some great light shows for this sequence

#892 3 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

It's the first thing I go for...get all the mode qualifiers and collect the extra ball. I'm not sure entirely how this works because sometimes I don't get the roaming drop.

#893 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So I got the call and my LE will be delivered tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to do first thing as far as checking loose parts or areas that mylar is recommended for?

Before I set my game up (not here yet but a Dec. 13, 2012 order date) I plan to re-read all postings on all the "Hobbit" threads. There are a lot of suggestions and nit-picky problems scattered throughout these threads. Like the leg bolt plates not being secured, connectors not fully seated, assemblies not tightly screwed on the underside of playfield, or the bracket/screw head sticking up when you slide out the playfield glass. I think it would be worthwhile to spend some time while waiting and re-read and jot them down. Owners were kind enough to say "don't do like me and ...." They are helping the rest of us avoid similar mistakes.

#894 3 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

Before I set my game up (not here yet but a Dec. 13, 2012 order date) I plan to re-read all postings on all the "Hobbit" threads. There are a lot of suggestions and nit-picky problems scattered throughout these threads. Like the leg bolt plates not being secured, connectors not fully seated, assemblies not tightly screwed on the underside of playfield, or the bracket/screw head sticking up when you slide out the playfield glass. I think it would be worthwhile to spend some time while waiting and re-read and jot them down. Owners were kind enough to say "don't do like me and ...." They are helping the rest of us avoid similar mistakes.

Missing leg bracket screws? Wow, Id hate to be the guy on the line hearing about this...
Yes, the oddest one I think is the ring switch bracket scratching the glass. On my earlier game the bracket was hammered flat on the top and is clearly 1/8" lower than the glass. I guess they skipped this step on a few games.

Other than that its been mostly loose connectors from shipping I think.

#895 3 years ago

So I got it set up. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no lighting. Anybody know where to focus looking. I've gone through connections but don't see anything. Help please. Game seems to play.

#896 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

So I got it set up. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no lighting. Anybody know where to focus looking. I've gone through connections but don't see anything. Help please. Game seems to play.

Please look under the playfield. Find the rectangular B.A.G. board ( GI Bus Board - page D-34 in the manual ) There is a USB connector to it, push that in tight and you should be good to go.

#897 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please look under the playfield. Find the rectangular B.A.G. board ( GI Bus Board - page D-34 in the manual ) There is a USB connector to it, push that in tight and you should be good to go.

What LTG said.

This is a common issue. Despite the fact that this USB connector has a zip tie on it to prevent it from coming loose, mine came loose as well and caused all the lights to go out. It has not come loose again though.

#898 3 years ago

Thanks for the fast response Lloyd. This was the problem. You're the man. We are loving the game while we work out the kinks and get settings where we need them. I'm also trying to get 1.2 downloaded. Thanks guys

#899 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Thanks for the fast response Lloyd. This was the problem. You're the man. We are loving the game while we work out the kinks and get settings where we need them. I'm also trying to get 1.2 downloaded. Thanks guys

Did the game ship with 1.01 or 1.10 code?

#900 3 years ago

Has anyone else noticed their ramp flaps keep making their way up? I've got a playfield protector with the playfield set at 7.0, and the flippers set at 27/27. When the ramp flaps are recently pushed back down, the ball sails up smoothly, and you can barely make the shot from right flipper to right ramp...etc, if feels about right. As the flaps start to lift the ball starts to jump it's way up the ramp and it feels a lot less smooth.

Is there any kind of trick to keeping the ramp flaps down? I almost wish I had a straight piece of metal for each screw to hold down the ramp flaps.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 7848 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 157.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside