IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,996 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 260.
#8752 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

7.1 or 7.2 is the sweet spot.
Adjust flippers accordingly.

I think mine is at 6.5....if I go to your suggestion, what strength for flipper adjustment?

#8753 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I think mine is at 6.5....if I go to your suggestion, what strength for flipper adjustment?

I'm only one or two points above stock. It doesn't take much. Go one point at a time and do like 3 games at least before making another adjustment.

#8754 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

26 left, 27 right to start.

It plays better with the left flipper slightly weaker than the right on my game. The balls stay on the wireforms better.

#8755 3 years ago

26 left, 27 right to start.
It plays better with the left flipper slightly weaker than the right on my game. The balls stay on the wireforms better.

Good point, if you make the flippers to strong the ball will fly off the wireforms

#8756 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I'm also at 7.1 - 7.2 and I have my flippers set to 25. default is 22. Works good for my game.

#8757 3 years ago

I've had the game for 6 weeks now and finally got to Barrel Escape yesterday. Still trying to kill Smaug... Such a cool game!

#8758 3 years ago

I adjust the right flipper strength so you can barely make the lock ramp from backhanding with the right flipper (after a trap, of course).

#8759 3 years ago
Quoted from dug:

I'm also at 7.1 - 7.2 and I have my flippers set to 25. default is 22. Works good for my game.

Everyones power from the wall is slightly different.

If you can make either ramp from either flipper from a captured or cradled position you are good.

When testing for adjustment, the ball should barely go over the ramp, but should make ir every time. It shouldnt fly over the ramps.

Too fast and the balls fall off the wireforms on strong powerful shots.

#8760 3 years ago

OK guru's,
I been having this intermittent problem where the Book/Time and Lock/Mode ramp LED's malfunction. They always start off correctly functioning and test good in all colors, but on some games the Time LED will stay light blue and the rest of the ramp word LED's stop working. I checked the plugs under playfield for the two LED boards under the ramps and they are seated well. Any suggestions appreciated!

#8761 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

OK guru's,
I been having this intermittent problem where the Book/Time and Lock/Mode ramp LED's malfunction. They always start off correctly functioning and test good in all colors, but on some games the Time LED will stay light blue and the rest of the ramp word LED's stop working. I checked the plugs under playfield for the two LED boards under the ramps and they are seated well. Any suggestions appreciated!

May be the BAG board (I think they call it)

#8762 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

May be the BAG board I think the call it

Or a loose cable.

#8763 3 years ago

I watch The Hobbit movies often. There's no other game that offers theme integration like this pinball machine. No other.

A local artist painted this and I had to have it.

sting painting small (resized).jpgsting painting small (resized).jpg
#8764 3 years ago

Stupid question: can beast frenzy be beaten?

#8765 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Stupid question: can beast frenzy be beaten?

Absolutely.

Just don't loose a ball.

#8766 3 years ago

Hi Jorant. How's everything working out? What is your high score? T.

#8767 3 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

Hi Jorant. How's everything working out? What is your high score? T.

3.5 mil. Favorite game in my collection!

So.... I played today and had a terrible start. Had like 150 thousand going into ball 3. Here's the beauty of this game: the longer you play, the more it pays out. I ended up just shy of 2 million. Here's how:

As you progress, your ring button lights up purple when nothing else qualifies. Every time you hit it, it pays out a hundred points more every time with seemingly no limit. But the REAL beauty is the honey comb nature of the modes. The more modes you do, the more chances you can clump them together and get adjacency bonuses. I has almost 200 thousand in one of the completed modes. Combine this with the brilliance of trying to bring in a high difficulty mode into your mini wizards, and it absolutely makes this game.

The thought put into the software is so effing incredible. Just wanted to share.

#8768 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

3.5 mil. Favorite game in my collection!
So.... I played today and had a terrible start. Had like 150 thousand going into ball 3. Here's the beauty of this game: the longer you play, the more it pays out. I ended up just shy of 2 million. Here's how:
As you progress, your ring button lights up purple when nothing else qualifies. Every time you hit it, it pays out a hundred points more every time with seemingly no limit. But the REAL beauty is the honey comb nature of the modes. The more modes you do, the more chances you can clump them together and get adjacency bonuses. I has almost 200 thousand in one of the completed modes. Combine this with the brilliance of trying to bring in a high difficulty mode into your mini wizards, and it absolutely makes this game.
The thought put into the software is so effing incredible. Just wanted to share.

Awesome!!!
Thanks!
So do you know roughly how adjacency bonuses pay out?

#8769 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Awesome!!!
Thanks!
So do you know roughly how clumped mode bonuses pay out?

I honestly do not. It breaks it down after you complete it. All I know is after the mode completes it gives you bonuses based on them. And I certainly didn't discover this on my own but in a video I saw.

Edit: if you look at the score of your mode after, it will tell you the value of your mode, the honey comb meter giving you a certain percentage, a map bonus percentage, and then the overall total.

Edit 2: I tool a pic of what to expect when one mode touches another. I didn't complete this mode nor is it lucrative, but there shows a map bonus next to it. I'll try to take pics of when you get multiples next time.

20200628_185109 (resized).jpg20200628_185109 (resized).jpg
#8770 3 years ago

Jorant: Thanks. I was never able to get anywhere. I'm glad you love it, it ended up where it belonged... I assume it has been healthy and no issues other than the flipper rubber?

#8771 3 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

Jorant: Thanks. I was never able to get anywhere. I'm glad you love it, it ended up where it belonged... I assume it has been healthy and no issues other than the flipper rubber?

You assume incorrectly lol. But no big deal, there is precious little I cannot fix.

#8772 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I tool a pic of what to expect when one mode touches another. I didn't complete this mode nor is it lucrative, but there shows a map bonus next to it. I'll try to take pics of when you get multiples next time.

So map bonus then? Cool!
Now I can't wait to get off work to try this out!

#8773 3 years ago

I always thought the map bonus was how close you were to Erebor?

1 week later
#8774 3 years ago

So I posted this on the WoZ thread so trying here to see if I can get an answer.

Upon turning the game on I’m getting closed switch error for switch 13 (Bilbo ramp). I put the game into test and block the opto and it fixed the issue.

At first I thought it was the optos acting up but upon raising the playfield and moving the wires for the optos it set the switch off. I held the wires still and found the issue to be close to the OPTO IQ Board and not close to the optos themself. I reset the connector to no avail.

Anyone experience this before?

#8775 3 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

found the issue to be close to the OPTO IQ Board

Flaky connector. Flaky wire. Pin sticking up out of a connector. Wire broken internally you can't see. Etc. etc.

Easy fix. Once you find the problem.

LTG : )

#8776 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Flaky connector. Flaky wire. Pin sticking up out of a connector. Wire broken internally you can't see. Etc. etc.
Easy fix. Once you find the problem.
LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd. I looked for the the pin sticking out but will check the others.

#8777 3 years ago

Question for hobbit owners. How many models of hobbit machines are out there. I own a smaug edition. I know there's a blackarrow one. I recently heard that there's an le model. Is that true? Any other models outthere

#8778 3 years ago

Yes an LE as well.

#8779 3 years ago
Quoted from Adib:

Question for hobbit owners. How many models of hobbit machines are out there. I own a smaug edition. I know there's a blackarrow one. I recently heard that there's an le model. Is that true? Any other models outthere

You got them all except for the standard, which ironically I think there are the least of

#8780 3 years ago

What is the le model?

#8781 3 years ago
Quoted from Adib:

What is the le model?

During initial release days there was a Standard and LE. The Smaug and Black Arrow are LE's that came later, but the original LE was the 'Motion Picture Trilogy'. It had different art on each side of cabinet and Bronze Vein Armor. The first pic show the Bronze Vein armor. The next two pics show the prototype armor that was changed to bronze vein before release. .. https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6223
thflyerletterfront-lejpg-0d8643 (resized).jpgthflyerletterfront-lejpg-0d8643 (resized).jpg

image-10 (resized).jpgimage-10 (resized).jpgimage-8 (resized).jpgimage-8 (resized).jpg

#8782 3 years ago

Here's the standard edition. It also used the same Trilogy art work but without the Invisiglass, shaker motor, powder coated trim, etc.. JJP also offer Radcal upgrade for 400.00.

hob-stan-1-e1476657866113 (resized).pnghob-stan-1-e1476657866113 (resized).png
#8783 3 years ago

Sorry for the cross post, but for anyone looking for a complete rulesheet for Hobbit, I just published an updated version here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet/page/4#post-5735785

#8784 3 years ago
Quoted from bmlors:

Sorry for the cross post, but for anyone looking for a complete rulesheet for Hobbit, I just published an updated version here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet/page/4#post-5735785

Can’t wait to read this!! So much going on I can’t follow it well.

#8785 3 years ago
Quoted from bmlors:

And it is awesome. Thank you. I've been trying to unravel the mystery if the modes and what I called adjacency bonuses. You call them "feeder" bonuses? Can you expand on that please?

#8786 3 years ago

jorant - when the modes are scored you get a bonus based on where you are on the map to Erebor and based on feeder bonuses (I think that's a better term as I don't think they are always adjacent on the screen). The feeder bonuses are higher based on you playing the feeder modes first and based on how well you do on the feeder modes. I personally think the best strategy isn't to focus on these feeder modes but to focus on beating higher star modes in order to multiply your arkenstone mode scoring... Obviously if you can do both that'd be best.

#8787 3 years ago
Quoted from kjlors:

- when the modes are scored you get a bonus based on where you are on the map to Erebor and based on feeder bonuses

So, the Map Bonus is higher the closer you are to Erebor then?

#8788 3 years ago

Also, I found this map here... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet/page/3#post-3418867

I take it that this is what you are referring to for Feeders?

#8789 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

So, the Map Bonus is higher the closer you all to Erebor then?

Actually, the bonus is relative to where you on the map compared to where that mode occurs -- not relative to Erebor. Confusing, IMHO, and similar to the guidance above on focusing on higher star modes, I don't think this is worth thinking about during the game. Are you really going to skip playing a mode and wait until the map is in the exact right place? If so, you've probably achieved a level of prowess on the game that is well beyond most of us.

#8790 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Also, I found this map here... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet/page/3#post-3418867
I take it that this is what you are referring to for Feeders?

Yep, same info just formatted differently than pg 16-17 in the rulesheet doc.

#8791 3 years ago
Quoted from bmlors:

I don't think this is worth thinking about during the game. Are you really going to skip playing a mode and wait until the map is in the exact right place? If so, you've probably achieved a level of prowess on the game that is well beyond most of us.

That's for sure! Especially for how I play.

#8792 3 years ago

If you do want to focus on making bonus, it's pretty impossible to memorize where on the map every mode belongs, so work with generalities. The grid of the pictures corresponding to each mode follows the story line left to right. So if you are at the beginning of the Erebor map, play a mode to the left side of the grid. If you want close My Erebor, play a mode closer to the right side of the grid. That said... probably not the best spot to put your focus.... Jumping left to right lowers your chances of getting b the feeder bonuses as those also build left to right in the order of the story line.

#8793 3 years ago

Joined the club last week and man what was I wrong about this game... I’ve always believed the people who were saying the machine is floaty, extreme long ball times, slow and boring.... THEY ARE WRONG! When properly set up this machine is a masterpiece that plays fast and can be brutal. I’m so glad I’ve finally pulled the trigger.

#8794 3 years ago
Quoted from Sjoend:

Joined the club last week and man what was I wrong about this game... I’ve always believed the people who were saying the machine is floaty, extreme long ball times, slow and boring.... THEY ARE WRONG! When properly set up this machine is a masterpiece that plays fast and can be brutal. I’m so glad I’ve finally pulled the trigger.

Did you raise the pitch past 6.5?

#8795 3 years ago
Quoted from Sjoend:

Shows how many people don't know how to set up a pin properly!

#8796 3 years ago
Quoted from kjlors:

The grid of the pictures corresponding to each mode follows the story line left to right. So if you are at the beginning of the Erebor map, play a mode to the left side of the grid.

Ahh! Got it!!

From Manual Page 15 of 33

** Not shown is the location of the mode which also increases scoring if your map is
advanced beyond that location when you play the mode.

#8797 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Did you raise the pitch past 6.5?

7.1 to 7.2 is the sweet spot.

#8798 3 years ago
Quoted from Sjoend:

The hobbit isn't for everyone I guess, but when people say it is bad I am legit confused as hell. The game is great! Rules are great, music and call outs are a 10. Theme integration is one of the best, if not the best, in all of pinball. A real gem of a game.

#8799 3 years ago

7.1 to 7.2 is the sweet spot.

The sweet spot for the pitch is indeed > 7.0, I’ve removed the middel post and cracked up the flippers a bit.

#8800 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Shows how many people don't know how to set up a pin properly!

Indeed, I’ve played the Hobbit when it was just released at a pinball show and it wasn’t set up correctly so my first impression of the Hobbit was absolutely not positive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

There are 12,996 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/176?hl=adib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.