IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 174 of 260.
#8651 3 years ago

LTG wins! The missing 70V to the spider and upper slingshot was caused by one of the wires to the upper right flipper coil having come off. Soldered it on and everything is hunky-dory again. Thanks!

#8652 3 years ago

interesting....no hobbits for sale in the marketplace!

#8653 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

interesting....no hobbits for sale in the marketplace!

Marketplace postings are slowing way down and people are looking more for trades. Nothing new being made. People want something to do.

#8654 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Marketplace postings are slowing way down and people are looking more for trades. Nothing new being made. People want something to do.

Same for Pirates, which had been out there and pricy, for awhile now.

#8655 3 years ago

Next question in my quest to get my Hobbit back up to fully working condition: Are the clip-fit optos available anywhere? My "subway enter" opto is dead so I need a replacement, but cannot find it for sale anywhere.

I tried searching for both the Hobbit part# (18-7020-xx-yy) and the Pirates part# (18-005001-xx), which I believe are equivalent(?).

#8656 3 years ago

Finally killed Smaug again this weekend. It's been a while since I've been playing my other games more, lately. But got on a mission to kill him again. It still is the greatest pinball "moment" of all time for me.

#8657 3 years ago

anyone looking to trade ? have a nice Dialed In standard?

#8658 3 years ago

Just joined the club!
HUO still running 1.21 code. 521 total games played
Can't wait to update and explore.
Super excited!

#8659 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Finally killed Smaug again this weekend. It's been a while since I've been playing my other games more, lately. But got on a mission to kill him again. It still is the greatest pinball "moment" of all time for me.

same for kill the witch in WOZ !!

#8660 3 years ago
Quoted from Thot:

same for kill the witch in WOZ !!

Killing the witch is way easier. They are the same experience, but to kill smaug is very rare.

#8661 3 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Next question in my quest to get my Hobbit back up to fully working condition: Are the clip-fit optos available anywhere? My "subway enter" opto is dead so I need a replacement, but cannot find it for sale anywhere.

I tried searching for both the Hobbit part# (18-7020-xx-yy) and the Pirates part# (18-005001-xx), which I believe are equivalent(?).

In case anyone else wonders: Though the assembly (opto pair + molex connector) is not available in any pinball shops, the opto emitter/sensor pair itself is readily available at your friendly electronics supplier like Digikey or Mouser. The part is OPB100Z from Optek Technology, and costs around $6-7 for the pair. Problem solved

Edit: So to create a complete opto/cable set, you just need these parts (and a crimping tool):

1 pc. Optek OPB100Z (opto emitter/sensor pair)
4 pcs. TE Connectivity 794956-1 (crimp contacts)
1 pc. TE Connectivity 794954-4 (housing)

Total price around $7.50 without any volume discounts.

#8662 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Killing the witch is way easier. They are the same experience, but to kill smaug is very rare.

For the record I consider myself an average player. I've had a couple almost 2 hour long games (I think just shy of 9 mil?) However with this game I find it's not all about skill, but basic common sense approaches that can move you farther along. I've killed Smaug 3 times in a single game a few times. Now keep in mind, I absolutely HATED having beast multiball during Smaug MB so like many others I disabled that. Here's where common sense comes into play. Ask yourselves, do you have a better chance of killing Smaug with your upper flipper or a lower?
When I know Smaug is getting ready to show me his missing scale I cradle a ball on my lower right flipper. Obviously that's NOT a guaranteed kill shot but I do find it greatly increases my chances of being successful. I did a write in this thread about my approach to this game. I do believe it is extremely helpful for those that are having a hard time not only killing Smaug, but progressing towards TABA.

#8663 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

For the record I consider myself an average player. I've had a couple almost 2 hour long games (I think just shy of 9 mil?) However with this game I find it's not all about skill, but basic common sense approaches that can move you farther along. I've killed Smaug 3 times in a single game a few times. Now keep in mind, I absolutely HATED having beast multiball during Smaug MB so like many others I disabled that. Here's where common sense comes into play. Ask yourselves, do you have a better chance of killing Smaug with your upper flipper or a lower?
When I know Smaug is getting ready to show me his missing scale I cradle a ball on my lower right flipper. Obviously that's NOT a guaranteed kill shot but I do find it greatly increases my chances of being successful. I did a write in this thread about my approach to this game. I do believe it is extremely helpful for those that are having a hard time not only killing Smaug, but progressing towards TABA.

What is the pitch of your playfield?

#8664 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

0 degrees

#8665 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

A good playfield pitch for hobbit is 7.1-7.2 degrees, measured on the playfield not on the glass.

#8666 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

For the record I consider myself an average player. I've had a couple almost 2 hour long games (I think just shy of 9 mil?)

Dammit !
I considered myself an average player , but my best is around 3mil , so that makes me a shit player . But I have killed Smaug quite a few times - and it never gets old .

#8667 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

For the record I consider myself an average player. I've had a couple almost 2 hour long games (I think just shy of 9 mil?)

For the record, I don’t consider you an average player. Killing Smaug three times in one game, wow!

#8668 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

A good playfield pitch for hobbit is 7.1-7.2 degrees, measured on the playfield not on the glass.

Agreed, and that is how mine is set up. I just can't imagine a two hour game with our pitch settings. Still interested to know what theirs was set at.

#8669 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Agreed, and that is how mine is set up. I just can't imagine a two hour game with our pitch settings. Still interested to know what theirs was set at.

A good game takes me 45 mins to 1 hour to get to 5 mil or higher, botfa, make good progress to there and back etc.

Finishing all 31 modes takes me 2 hours or more lol

#8670 3 years ago

A good game takes me 45 mins to 1 hour to get to 5 mil or higher, botfa, make good progress to there and back etc.
Finishing all 31 modes takes me 2 hours or more lol

Mine must play super mean. I'd have to check my game logs but I doubt I've gone much longer than 30 minutes at around 2 million points. Time and points don't really correlate in this game though. You could shoot the ramps all day and score nothing but be safe. Take 1 star modes into your mini wizard modes and you will only get 25% value. On the other hand, I've take a 5 star mode Into the Fire and scored 750K there alone. That game was well over a million and maybe only ten minutes long if I had to guess.

#8671 3 years ago

You guys are better than me. I still haven't killed Smaug. But with the new ACNC code and the new Deadpool I bought, and all the work I've done on these pins, I haven't been playing Hobbit enough. But I still suck anyway!

#8672 3 years ago

Is there a current rule sheet out there? I just have kinda rejoined the club and am eager to learn but it seems all the rule sheets are outdated big time.

#8673 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Is there a current rule sheet out there? I just have kinda rejoined the club and am eager to learn but it seems all the rule sheets are outdated big time.

A-18 of the manual has the flow chart. It's an excellent guide to the game.

#8674 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

A-18 of the manual has the flow chart. It's an excellent guide to the game.

I was more thinking modes’ and multiballs’ individual shots. Is the old version of the rule sheet still up to date on those type things (ie layers of shots to get a chance to kill Smaug)?

#8675 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I was more thinking modes’ and multiballs’ individual shots. Is the old version of the rule sheet still up to date on those type things (ie layers of shots to get a chance to kill Smaug)?

Couldn't tell you. Smaug multiball for me is just a tool to finish high star level modes to increase the mini wizard mode values. Smaug MB does do a great job of telling you what to shoot, probably why I don't have it memorized. When it comes to modes, the book on the playfield is your friend. If you really wanted to map all 31+ modes out I guess you could take the glass off and run through them all writing down what is required. Although that also seems kind of silly. There are a few modes that I target and more that I avoid. You don't need to finish them for There and Back Again so I've never invested the time to try and memorize them all.

#8676 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Each level of smaug has about 6 shots. As you progress they get harder. First round, all the shots are lit for jackpot no matter what. Second mode , the last shot you made unlights, but the rest stay on. Third mode you have to hit every shot. However, since the game saves your progress, you can go for your favorite shots, go back to one ball play, and when you restart multiball, it will only need you to get how ever many left are needed to advance, yet it relights ALL the shots. I know that was quite the run on sentence, so long story short, it gets easier the more times you restart multiball.

After each mode you hit the super jackpot shot to advance. The final mode is just going back and fourth from MAN targets to DWARF targets before it beckons you to load the wind lance. You do this by shooting the right ramp. That leads it to the kick back lane, fires it to your upper right flipper and you kill smaug by hitting the one stand up hiding behind the drops that are not exposed (like his missing scale in the third movie). Boom. He is dead. Then you get victory laps. It's like killing the witch in WOZ, but far more elaborate and more difficult.

So to answer your question, yes.... I think it is the same

#8677 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Couldn't tell you. Smaug multiball for me is just a tool to finish high star level modes to increase the mini wizard mode values. Smaug MB does do a great job of telling you what to shoot, probably why I don't have it memorized. When it comes to modes, the book on the playfield is your friend. If you really wanted to map all 31+ modes out I guess you could take the glass off and run through them all writing down what is required. Although that also seems kind of silly. There are a few modes that I target and more that I avoid. You don't need to finish them for There and Back Again so I've never invested the time to try and memorize them all.

So even your answer begs a question about star levels but I’ll dig deeper

#8678 3 years ago

Pitch on mine is 7.5. Required fine tuning flipper power (tuned to barely being able to get the ball up the ramp) as to not make it "Easy".

Seriously guys I'm not being modest. I truly am an average player and this is also why I stressed why it's so very important to learn the best way to advance. Stacking I guess, but that infers intentional behavior and some come as freebies so to speak. Start Smaug MB, next shot to the right ramp starts a mode (now you have two modes going) and if you can keep the MB going long enough you will likely successfully complete said second mode allowing jackpots. Also very likely to happen is collecting all dwarves so when Smaug MB ends you go right into Feast frenzy. Smaug MB (to me anyway) can be one of the most powerful stepping stones in the game.
You have that many modes going you gain serious points real quick. Too lazy to look it up but I did a fairly large write up on this thread of what I use.
Doesn't make it the holy grail but it definitely works for me. Oh, and when in MB keep your eye on the right drain as that's like a damn magnet in that game.

#8679 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

* - 1/4 value mini wizard mode
** - 1/2 value mini wizard mode
*** - Full value mini wizard mode
**** - 2X value mini wizard mode
***** - 4X value mini wizard mode

This may be the most important thing to know about this game. I always try to start a mini wizard mode with AT LEAST a three star mode completed if not four.

My best Into the Fire was after finishing Riddles in the Dark which is maybe the only 5 star mode you have any hope of finishing. That Into the Fire was worth over 750K. Finishing the right modes is worth your time. Keefer writes incredible code.

#8680 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Search for Ted's posts in this thread and the Hobbit code thread. He explained the multipliers a couple of years ago with the star values. One thing that I remember is the spinners. Each time you complete the trip you get another additional multiplier of .25 (?) To the next Arkenstone mode. The other quadrants on the display get multipliers for the number of levels completed also.

#8681 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Pitch on mine is 7.5. Required fine tuning flipper power (tuned to barely being able to get the ball up the ramp) as to not make it "Easy".
Seriously guys I'm not being modest. I truly am an average player and this is also why I stressed why it's so very important to learn the best way to advance. Stacking I guess, but that infers intentional behavior and some come as freebies so to speak. Start Smaug MB, next shot to the right ramp starts a mode (now you have two modes going) and if you can keep the MB going long enough you will likely successfully complete said second mode allowing jackpots. Also very likely to happen is collecting all dwarves so when Smaug MB ends you go right into Feast frenzy. Smaug MB (to me anyway) can be one of the most powerful stepping stones in the game.
You have that many modes going you gain serious points real quick. Too lazy to look it up but I did a fairly large write up on this thread of what I use.
Doesn't make it the holy grail but it definitely works for me. Oh, and when in MB keep your eye on the right drain as that's like a damn magnet in that game.

Man that's steep! Did you have to modify the trough so it could kick balls freely?

#8682 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

* - 1/4 value mini wizard mode
** - 1/2 value mini wizard mode
*** - Full value mini wizard mode
**** - 2X value mini wizard mode
***** - 4X value mini wizard mode
This may be the most important thing to know about this game. I always try to start a mini wizard mode with AT LEAST a three star mode completed if not four.
My best Into the Fire was after finishing Riddles in the Dark which is maybe the only 5 star mode you have any hope of finishing. That Into the Fire was worth over 750K. Finishing the right modes is worth your time. Keefer writes incredible code.

So is it only when you complete a mode that this takes effect? Would it be beneficial to start but not finish a mode if it reduces your score that much?

#8683 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So is it only when you complete a mode that this takes effect? Would it be beneficial to start but not finish a mode if it reduces your score that much?

Think about it. One of the five objectives to start the three mini wizard modes is completing a mode. So based on the mode you finish depends on how lucrative the mini wizard pays out. It is genius. This way people can do a one star weenie mode like "the one ring," and still have a chance at getting to a mini wizard. It will pay out like SHIT, but it gives noobs the chance to feel accomplishment. Meanwhile, for hard core players, they will refuse to start the mini wizard until a good mode has been completed. Awesome game. Love it so much.

As for your last question, the mini wizard modes can only be started once the five pieces if arkenstone have been collected. These are 1) start multiball, 2) get to Erabore, 3) Finish a mode (not just start one), 4) start Beast Frenzy and 5) start feast frenzy (this is what happens when you collect all the dwarves).

So your question about not getting enough points if you don't finish a mode makes no sense, as only completed modes will get you to the mini wizards. Also, the star rating for the level will be shown on the book before you start.

#8684 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

It uses the book mode completed with the most stars for the multiplier. Complete the 1 star and still try for a higher star book mode.

#8685 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

There is risk reward in finishing say a 1 or 2 star mode if you have not already finished a 3-5 star. Let's say you finish The One Ring early in the game, it's a 1 star and you get some extra points for finishing it. BUT, now you finish everything else for Into the Fire and you haven't finished another higher value mode. If you shoot either gobble hole by mistake your Into the Fire is going to be 1/4 value. Instead now you have to play super careful, try to qualify a solid mode, start that mode, and finish it all without shooting a gobble hole by mistake. That's a serious challenge. Again, it's amazing rules design by Keefer.

#8686 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

There is risk reward in finishing say a 1 or 2 star mode if you have not already finished a 3-5 star. Let's say you finish The One Ring early in the game, it's a 1 star and you get some extra points for finishing it. BUT, now you finish everything else for Into the Fire and you haven't finished another higher value mode. If you shoot either gobble hole by mistake your Into the Fire is going to be 1/4 value. Instead now you have to play super careful, try to qualify a solid mode, start that mode, and finish it all without shooting a gobble hole by mistake. That's a serious challenge. Again, it's amazing rules design by Keefer.

Is there an order that the game selects modes when you cycle it with the ramp (assuming they’re all qualified)?

#8687 3 years ago

Ok, I need to make a correction about what I stated earlier as my high score. I havent played my pin in about 2 months. I just fired it up and forgot I had beat the highscore I reported earlier..Pic for proof.

20200523_233442 (resized).jpg20200523_233442 (resized).jpg

#8688 3 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Just joined the club!
HUO still running 1.21 code. 521 total games played
Can't wait to update and explore.
Super excited!

Same! I just picked up the smaug gold edition with 106 total plays! I was hunting for The hobbit or LOTR LE, probably going to try and get a hold of LOTR in the very near future but im excited to put way too many hours in on this thing!

#8689 3 years ago
Quoted from wizman71:

Same! I just picked up the smaug gold edition with 106 total plays! I was hunting for The hobbit or LOTR LE, probably going to try and get a hold of LOTR in the very near future but im excited to put way too many hours in on this thing!

Nice!
What code is it running?
3.10 is the latest and greatest

#8690 3 years ago
Quoted from wizman71:

Sometimes game plays get reset during updates. Welcome to the club it's a fantastic game

#8691 3 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Sometimes game plays get reset during updates. Welcome to the club it's a fantastic game

ALWAYS back up settings before doing updates.

ALWAYS...then you never lose settings.

#8692 3 years ago

ALWAYS back up settings before doing updates.
ALWAYS...then you never lose settings.

I think I tried that last time and didn't do it properly so i lost all my stats

#8693 3 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

I think I tried that last time and didn't do it properly so i lost all my stats

I have a separate USB drive i used for the backups.

I copy them to a folder on my pc.

I make a backup evetytime i get a new high score or make settings changes.

Its a really nice service.

Very easy to backup and restore.

I would try it a few times to get comfortable with it.

#8694 3 years ago

I have a separate USB drive i used for the backups.
I copy them to a folder on my pc.
I make a backup evetytime i get a new high score or make settings changes.
Its a really nice service.
Very easy to backup and restore.
I would try it a few times to get comfortable with it.

Really nicely surprised Houdini auto backs up it's scores and settings. I wish JJP adopted this method also.

#8695 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Really nicely surprised Houdini auto backs up it's scores and settings. I wish JJP adopted this method also.

Would be good if it auto back up to the cloud daily when they do the connectivity update.
Anyone heard more on internet connection progress.

#8696 3 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

Would be good if it auto back up to the cloud daily when they do the connectivity update.
Anyone heard more on internet connection progress.

Another Wonka test was done last week with a full update over the web. The internet update process went smooth. They will test the other JJP pins with full updates soon.

#8697 3 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Nice!
What code is it running?
3.10 is the latest and greatest

Just installed 3.10, since I had it shipped it came with a number of issues of course but I finally got them all worked out and the game is running great. I did accidentally loose one of the rubber post when installing the bag end mod and was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a replacement? I searched all over for it and can't seem to find it.

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg
#8698 3 years ago
Quoted from wizman71:

Just installed 3.10, since I had it shipped it came with a number of issues of course but I finally got them all worked out and the game is running great. I did accidentally loose one of the rubber post when installing the bag end mod and was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a replacement? I searched all over for it and can't seem to find it.
[quoted image]

Yep, order a few from jjp

Or order 50 and sell them to pinsiders, they'll sell.

#8699 3 years ago
Quoted from wizman71:

[quoted image]

Check the very back of the play field. There is about a half inch gap along the back that I have had to retrieve countless screws, nuts, and springs...

#8700 3 years ago

Please help me troubleshoot. Frequently when a ball is in the shooter lane, the game will "randomly" autoplunge on its own. I've narrowed it down to the "d" or "w" drop targets. Specifically when the "w" lowers (or "d" raises simultaneously) during the skill shot, the ball launches. I'm having a hard time with diagnosis because I cannot fire the drops (up and down) while watching the switch test screen. Any ideas?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 174 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/174?hl=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.