IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 173 of 260.
#8601 3 years ago

Can't you just shut the fuck up about it or take it somewhere else tiltboss? The rest of us are here to talk about a pinball machine.

I've seen international incidents blow over quicker than you are dragging this out.

#8602 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Can't you just shut the fuck up about it or take it somewhere else tiltboss? The rest of us are here to talk about a pinball machine.
I've seen international incidents blow over quicker than you are dragging this out.

Agree. My God some people are so freaking sensitive today. Lloyd has already apologized several times (and I didn't think he needed to in the first place)

#8603 3 years ago

Just collected a 67K Super Spinner. Feels so good!

#8604 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Ripping those orbits like a gangster huh?!

#8605 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Ripping those orbits like a gangster huh?!

Love the risk reward of the Super Spinner. I've had it higher and then choked it away by missing the captive ball before time ran out. It can be a ton of points that most people never even think about. Another example of Keefer's genius.

#8606 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Holy hell

#8607 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Love the risk reward of the Super Spinner. I've had it higher and then choked it away by missing the captive ball before time ran out. It can be a ton of points that most people never even think about. Another example of Keefer's genius.

You had to be in a multiball right?

#8608 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

You had to be in a multiball right?

Negative. I like to start Super Spinner in single ball play to reduce the risk of hitting the captive ball before I want to cash out.

Once I get Super Spinner running I just focus on ripping the spinners. The mode will time out after 60 seconds. I start trying to collect will less than 10 seconds left most of the time to maximize value. If you can also get Super X running before you cash out it will be 2X. A 70,000 to 140,000 jackpot in this game is no joke. Most people never even think about the value hiding in Super Spinner.

#8609 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Negative. I like to start Super Spinner in single ball play to reduce the risk of hitting the captive ball before I want to cash out.
Once I get Super Spinner running I just focus on ripping the spinners. The mode will time out after 60 seconds. I start trying to collect will less than 10 seconds left most of the time to maximize value. If you can also get Super X running before you cash out it will be 2X. A 70,000 to 140,000 jackpot in this game is no joke. Most people never even think about the value hiding in Super Spinner.

Oh I know the value and love going for it, I just suck at it. My super spinner champ score is like 37000. And I agree with you, you can't do it in a multiball, as hitting the captive ball risk is just too great.

#8610 3 years ago

Andy Serkis to read The Hobbit tomorrow, estimated to take between 10 and 12 hours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-52582063/serkis-hobbit-reading-will-take-you-on-an-adventure

#8611 3 years ago

Fun book!

#8612 3 years ago

How do you lite kickback.

#8613 3 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

How do you lite kickback.

Well you.... um.... you simply......hmmm.

That's a terrific question. Lol, I don't know!

#8614 3 years ago

I’ve been neglecting Hobbit a little the past few weeks. Had some construction work done, got a new game, and just didn’t play it much. Today I moved it to a new position and put in some time leveling and dialing in the PF angle. When I played a test game I destroyed the thing. The game lasted around 45 mins, I broke 3 million for the first time, set a new GC by like 700k, killed Smaug and was one bad tip from BOTFA! I’ll say it again. Hobbit is unique, and going deep is just an incredible pinball journey. Almost as much a role playing game feel as much as a pinball experience. And killing Smaug? That just never gets old.

#8615 3 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on drop target not working? My top MAN target isn’t coming up...which makes killing Smaug very difficult as hitting the top target is the easiest before loading the windlance. The coil test performed perfect.

#8616 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Anyone have any thoughts on drop target not working? My top MAN target isn’t coming up...which makes killing Smaug very difficult as hitting the top target is the easiest before loading the windlance. The coil test performed perfect.

does it pop up and then go straight back down - or doesn't come up at all?

#8617 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

does it pop up and then go straight back down - or doesn't come up at all?

It doesn’t come up at all

#8618 3 years ago

i would guess that the coil is bad - check in with JJP support and see what they suggest

#8619 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Check all connections first, my E worked in test but not in game but I was advised more juice is pumped to them in test. pulled and rejoined all connectors back to the boards and all ok now. Hopefully the same for you. Good luck!

#8620 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Well you.... um.... you simply......hmmm.
That's a terrific question. Lol, I don't know!

it's a mystery gift with blue target

#8621 3 years ago
Quoted from Breger1:

Switch the connector on the board its plugged into and see if problem follows to the new letter and the one not working originally now works. If it does, it’s the board. If it doesn’t, it’s the drop target assembly.

#8622 3 years ago
Quoted from Thot:

it's a mystery gift with blue target

Yes it is, but that cannot be the real way to do it. There must be the "real way" and then the mystery gift way.

#8623 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Yes it is, but that cannot be the real way to do it. There must be the "real way" and then the mystery gift way.

There was discussion on this a couple of years back in one of these Hobbit threads. I could be wrong, but I think it has to do with a certain number of captive ball hits. I also think that once in the barrel pops, and the ball exits that area to the right over to the upper flipper, and you immediately hit the captive ball from there, it might award the kickback (and points). I don't remember exactly. The captive ball has something to do with that award, along with the mystery award.

(Not too useful but might jar someone's memory)

#8624 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

There was discussion on this a couple of years back in one of these Hobbit threads. I could be wrong, but I think it has to do with a certain number of captive ball hits. I also think that once in the barrel pops, and the ball exits that area to the right over to the upper flipper, and you immediately hit the captive ball from there, it might award the kickback (and points). I don't remember exactly. The captive ball has something to do with that award, along with the mystery award.
(Not too useful but might jar someone's memory)

In all of my personal pinball history, I can hardly think of a time I was like, "wait... the objectives can wait, I've GOT to relight this kick back, dammit!"

#8625 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

In all of my personal pinball history, I can hardly think of a time I was like, "wait... the objectives can wait, I've GOT to relight this kick back, dammit!"

If you get good at playing Wonka, that thought might change.

Sorry, back to Hobbit ...

#8626 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I don't know...it would be nice to know. Essentially lighting it prevents drains on the left outer lane (which is a pretty nice thing to have going for you)

#8627 3 years ago

Just joined the club with a Black arrow and it is amazing . What a great pin !! Can anyone tell me how to read serial number to find out what number game I have?

#8628 3 years ago

It's written on the apron next to the left flipper button. Mines says #23 out of 750.

#8629 3 years ago
Quoted from cjpins:

Just joined the club with a Black arrow and it is amazing . What a great pin !! Can anyone tell me how to read serial number to find out what number game I have?

serial number is on the back or on the inside to the left (by the left flipper button).

the serial number and the game number have nothing to do with each other though. the game number is arbitrary and only means something to the person who owns the game. jjp might not even know what "game number" goes with what serial number.

#8630 3 years ago
Quoted from cjpins:

The sequential assembled game number is stamped on the bottom side of the playfield (blue ink). Unless it was a replacement playfield and then no assembly number would be under the playfield. As far as a number x of x of Black Arrows, I'm not sure if JJP numbered the Black Arrows. There should be a sticker somewhere (usually on the apron) if it was.

#8631 3 years ago
Quoted from cjpins:

Congrats. Out of three jjp games that I own, Hobbit is my favorite. Stupidly underrated game due to people looking at the playfield and assuming it has nothing to shoot at.

#8632 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Congrats. Out of three jjp games that I own, Hobbit is my favorite. Stupidly underrated game due to people looking at the playfield and assuming it has nothing to shoot at.

It's their loss.
That's why it's the best kept secret for great value buy in pinball right now!

#8633 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

It's their loss.
That's why it's the best kept secret for great value buy in pinball right now!

I have an LE and barely play it....my buddies say its one of their favorites..

Wheres the best place to learn the shots and really start appreciating this game? thx

#8634 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I have an LE and barely play it...
Wheres the best place to learn the shots and really start appreciating this game? thx

At your house .

#8635 3 years ago

Does anybody have a list of what the BIOS settings should be for this game?

#8636 3 years ago

Anyone have the BIOS setting for the displays on the Hobbit? Appearance JJP doesn't like answering ticket requests. I had to change the battery and can't get the book to work..

Thanks!

#8637 3 years ago

Tech question:

I have lost power to two coils, specifically the spider pop-up (power and hold) and the upper slingshot. These two are on the tan colored power line. All other coils on the same line, work fine. Measuring voltage on the tan wire's pin on the molex connector by the spider coil shows 0V. I have continuity between the spider coil and the slingshot coil.

Before I start ripping apart the large and neatly zip-tied wiring looms, do anyone by any chance know where the next upstream power connection is from these two coils?

Thanks

#8638 3 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Before I start ripping apart the large and neatly zip-tied wiring looms, do anyone by any chance know where the next upstream power connection is from these two coils?

I'd look over the other coil lugs to see if you have a poor connection at one lugs with the same color wire. Start between the working and non working.

I had a flipper issue on my Hobbit. Drove me nuts. Had voltage, had continuity. Upstream I finally found a wire hanging by one thread. Enough for continuity and voltage, not enough for amps to drive the coil.

LTG : )

#8639 3 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Anyone have the BIOS setting for the displays on the Hobbit? Appearance JJP doesn't like answering ticket requests. I had to change the battery and can't get the book to work..
Thanks!

What is the battery it uses? and I think it has to be powered on during the battery change out so that you don't lose the BIOS settings. Is that correct?

Also, if you share how to go into the BIOS settings I will do that for you if you like and can share what mine are.

#8640 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

What is the battery it uses? and I think it has to be powered on during the battery change out so that you don't lose the BIOS settings. Is that correct?
Also, if you share how to go into the BIOS settings I will do that for you if you like and can share what mine are.

cr2032. game on. there is a tab on the front part of the battery, pull it toward you and battery comes out. the manual suggests putting a piece of masking tape on the battery to help pull it out. I thought this was odd, but it actually worked. be careful of the fan and make sure you are not statically charged (touch metal before you touch the battery.

#8641 3 years ago

(but you shouldn't have to replace the BIOS battery. not yet anyway. I've had some last a decade)

#8642 3 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

(but you shouldn't have to replace the BIOS battery. not yet anyway. I've had some last a decade)

True. My hobbit was built in 2016 so I do have time. My thoughts are that I would change it out every 5 years (or so) to be overly cautious.

#8643 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

At your house .

being that you're from Australia, I can't bash you for that funny Comment as I love your Country and Melbourne is Awesome!!!! Cheers Mate

#8644 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

being that you're from Australia, I can't bash you for that funny Comment as I love your Country and Melbourne is Awesome!!!! Cheers Mate

He is right though, it's a pretty intuitive game and the callouts are all there to help you. Best tip i could share about learning it is to have a wingman calling the shots over your shoulder if you are ever having a real good game. You never really have much time, specially in multi's) to look at the main screen, and i've never looked at the samll screen while playing at all.
It needs to be someone with some understanding of the game but they can be telling you what to shoot for and you can muscle memory the shots.

'Mystery is lit'

'Just need left hole for extra ball' etc

Obviously can't do it in comp, but harmless at home.

#8645 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

You have to plug a USB keyboard into the rear of the computer.

Hit delete a bunch of times during boot up then maybe F1 to enter setup.

Its safe to do this, just dont make any changes and save them.

to get out just exit without saving or just power off the game and reboot without the keyboard plugged in.

Its a PC and works the same as any other PC.

#8646 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I have an LE and barely play it....my buddies say its one of their favorites..

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet

If you want to read up on the rules this sheet was put together by another pinsider. I think he did a great job. The depth of the rules on this game is one of the things that keeps me playing. I don't know if deep rules are typical of all JJP games, but I'm sure appreciating them right now with all the time I'm spending at home these days.

-RLF

#8647 3 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

Tech question:
I have lost power to two coils, specifically the spider pop-up (power and hold) and the upper slingshot. These two are on the tan colored power line. All other coils on the same line, work fine. Measuring voltage on the tan wire's pin on the molex connector by the spider coil shows 0V. I have continuity between the spider coil and the slingshot coil.
Thanks

if you go into the device test, is the spider red? if so, check your "up" and your "hit" switch. if either are not working it will disable the mech unit the problem is resolved. the coils will not fire if it has been disabled.

#8648 3 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

No worries , just being a bit cheeky . The guy below has a few good videos and Chuck Wurt also has a good one . Watch a few tutorials , play it a bit , and before you know it , you will understand it and enjoy it . Glad to hear you like Melbourne .

#8649 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Best tip i could share about learning it is to have a wingman calling the shots over your shoulder if you are ever having a real good game. You never really have much time, specially in multi's) to look at the main screen, and i've never looked at the samll screen while playing at all.
It needs to be someone with some understanding of the game but they can be telling you what to shoot for and you can muscle memory the shots.
'Mystery is lit'
'Just need left hole for extra ball' etc
Obviously can't do it in comp, but harmless at home.

So true with this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8650 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd look over the other coil lugs to see if you have a poor connection at one lugs with the same color wire.

Good point, I haven't looked very closely at the lugs. I'll do that.

Quoted from KingPinGames:

if you go into the device test, is the spider red?

No, it's green, and all switches work. For testing purposes I swapped the power connectors of the warg and the spider, and when firing the "warg" in device test the spider popped up and both spider switches triggered.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 173 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/173?hl=bendit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.