IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 260.
#801 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please don't use Unetbootin for delta updates. Only use that for a Full Install.
The current 1.21 update is a delta.
LTG : )

I have 1.10

Pretty sure I read something that said I needed a version above that in order to do a Delta?

Edit:

Quote from JJP site:

"Delta updates install only what has CHANGED since the last running version on your game. Delta updates are released when only game code has been modified.

** NOTE: YOU MUST BE RUNNING AT LEAST 1.18 TO INSTALL DELTA UPDATES. "

Maybe this is talking about WOZ?

#802 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I have 1.10
Pretty sure I read something that said I needed a version above that in order to do a Delta?
Edit:
Quote from JJP site:
"Delta updates install only what has CHANGED since the last running version on your game. Delta updates are released when only game code has been modified.
** NOTE: YOU MUST BE RUNNING AT LEAST 1.18 TO INSTALL DELTA UPDATES. "

I did a delta from 1.10 to 1.21 with no problems.

#803 7 years ago

Tried to update and nothing. Like it doesn't recognize the thumb drive, even though the thumb drive lights up.

#804 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Tried to update and nothing. Like it doesn't recognize the thumb drive, even though the thumb drive lights up.

When it asks for the USB drive, unplug it and plug it back in.

#805 7 years ago

Got the email today! Hobbit LE with Radcals shipped today! Can't wait...

#806 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

When it asks for the USB drive, unplug it and plug it back in.

Tried that.

#807 7 years ago

For a delta update, like 1.21, I would try to extract / unzip the update file directly to the root of your formatted thumb drive. I had issues with not being able to update if I unzipped / extracted the file to my PC and then copied it to my thumb drive.

#808 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The game doesn't recognize the thumb drive ? Then the 1.21 isn't on there right.

#809 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yes, WOZ, ages ago.

#810 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Tried that.

The only thing that should be on the USB drive is the unzipped folder called "hobbit_update"

Make sure the USB drive is formatted by a Windows computer in FAT or FAT32.. Not a Mac formatted file system

#811 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For a delta update, like 1.21, I would try to extract / unzip the update file directly to the root of your formatted thumb drive.

That's what I did.

Quoted from LTG:

The game doesn't recognize the thumb drive ? Then the 1.21 isn't on there right.

No clue why it wouldn't be

#812 7 years ago

How big is your thumb drive? I tried a 64gb and 32gb one and they weren't recognized. I use an 8gb one and it works perfectly. Same issue with my Sterns too.

Only insert it after the game tells you to, don't leave it plugged in. It lights up because the drive is getting voltage but that doesn't mean it's recognized.

#813 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No clue why it wouldn't be

From Alex on the WOZ forum, maybe this will help.

"Download the file. Click on the zip on your mac. It will create a directory named the same thing as the zip file. double click on that directory.

inside it is a folder called woz_update

Drag JUST that folder (woz_update) to an empty usb stick.

Then go into the game menu / settings / usb update / hit enter."

#814 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

How big is your thumb drive? I tried a 64gb and 32gb one and they weren't recognized. I use an 8gb one and it works perfectly. Same issue with my Sterns too.
Only insert it after the game tells you to, don't leave it plugged in. It lights up because the drive is getting voltage but that doesn't mean it's recognized.

I use a 120GB solid state drive in a USB caddy for the update no problem- I think he might be a Mac user and the drive is formatted in Apple's HFS+ file system instead of FAT

#815 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Only insert it after the game tells you to,

JJP pins are a little different. For delta update, go to the game turned on, plug in the USB stick, then go to Utilities and do the update stuff.

#816 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I use a 120GB solid state drive in a USB caddy for the update no problem- I think he might be a Mac user and the drive is formatted in Apple's file system instead of FAT

That's totally possible if he altered the original format of his USB stick from exFAT. If its formatted as MAC OS Extended (any version) it won't work.

That is interesting you can get yours to mount, the larger SanDisk USB drives I have will not be recognized. Next time there is an update I will have to test all of the sticks I have.

Quoted from LTG:

JJP pins are a little different. For delta update, go to the game turned on, plug in the USB stick, then go to Utilities and do the update stuff.

Here is what I have discovered. Each time I have performed an update I first have gone to backup my settings. After they are backed up I run the update process. If I perform the backup and go right to the USB update section and I haven't removed the USB drive before selecting it the game doesn't recognize the drive. I am assuming what is happening in the back end is the drive is being unmounted right after the backup. The only way to re-mount it is to remove and reinsert the USB drive.

I have noticed that you do not have to have the USB drive plugged in before going to the update section of the menu. For example: I go to Full Menu>Utilities>USB Update and the game will tell you on the screen to "Insert USB/Thumb drive containing update data". You can insert the USB drive at that time (not before) and it will discover the device and perform the update.

Also worth mentioning is the settings update functionality doesn't backup the settings into a date/time specific folder, so if you run the backup every time you update like I do then you have to remove the backup file created in the pinballbackup folder first from the USB drive, otherwise it will be overwritten. The game does warn you about this.

#817 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I am using a 32gb drive.

Quoted from kpg:

I think he might be a Mac user and the drive is formatted in Apple's HFS+ file system instead of FAT

Nope. Definitely formatted in FAT.

#818 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I am using a 32gb drive.

Nope. Definitely formatted in FAT.

Weird man- maybe trace back your USB cable and see if it's plugged in correctly to the computer, or even try another freshly formatted USB drive.

#819 7 years ago

Definitely try a different USB drive, and start from fresh with the download from the JJP's site.

Side note - taking tomorrow off and getting THSmaug #240 directly from JJP!!! WOO-FREAKIN-HOO!!

#820 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Thanks Hugh!

This did the trick. I actually just did a copy and paste from my 32gb drive to an 8gb card with adapter so it was the exact same file....but putting it on the 8gb card instead of the 32gb worked like a charm!

The chime just went off telling me code update complete.

Quoted from LTG:

It was on there 100% correctly. The fact that it was on a 32gb card was the problem.

Quoted from dtowndobe:

Definitely try a different USB drive, and start from fresh with the download from the JJP's site.

Yep, different (smaller) drive did the trick. Didn't have to start fresh either. Just copied and pasted to the 8gb drive.

#821 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Thanks Hugh!
This did the trick. I actually just did a copy and paste from my 32gb drive to an 8gb card with adapter so it was the exact same file....but putting it on the 8gb card instead of the 32gb worked like a charm!
The chime just went off telling me code update complete.

It was on there 100% correctly. The fact that it was on a 32gb card was the problem.

So strange.. I use a 120GB drive no problem.

#822 7 years ago

These drives are all over the place in terms of how they interact with various things. I had problems with some on WOZ then I bought a three pack of cheapish ones that work fine. I keep them set aside specifically for pinball software updates now.

#823 7 years ago

I just got my Hobbit LE today. It's running 1.01 code. Do I need to do a full game install? Also, is there any prep I need to do on my USB thumb drive other than putting this file in the root folder?

TIA

#824 7 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Do I need to do a full game install?

NO, delta update.

#825 7 years ago
Quoted from AstonEnthusiast:

Got the email today! Hobbit LE with Radcals shipped today

Congratulations! Your gonna Love It. Make sure you check the Smaug Lock drop Zone (where the ball drops from the ramp to the hole) for Mylar or a protection against the ball impact on the playfield. Mine had nothing there and it wouldn't take long to start hammering the play field. Also since you have Rad Cals, make sure you don't use the metal cabinet protectors it comes with ( if they haven't changed it) either add anoth set to what it has or take them off and use the thicker plastic ones. If you don't, the legs will rub on the (thicker) Rad Cals and Mark and cause them to buckle. It happened to me.

#826 7 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

Congratulations! Your gonna Love It. Make sure you check the Smaug Lock drop Zone (where the ball drops from the ramp to the hole) for Mylar or a protection against the ball impact on the playfield. Mine had nothing there and it wouldn't take long to start hammering the play field. Also since you have Rad Cals, make sure you don't use the metal cabinet protectors it comes with ( if they haven't changed it) either add anoth set to what it has or take them off and use the thicker plastic ones. If you don't, the legs will rub on the (thicker) Rad Cals and Mark and cause them to buckle. It happened to me.

got pics of the "buckle"?

#827 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

got pics of the "buckle"?

No I fixed it. Once the legs were removed, I was able to work out the buckle pretty easy. I added another set of metal protectors and that solved it. I reported this to JJP.

#828 7 years ago

I love the game, truly do....but, I am finding it draining balls on the cheap way too much. The roll overs and the lids to the pop ups change the direction of the ball significantly, and for my game, drains down the middle way too many times. I'm set up at 6.7, wondering if I should go to 7.

#829 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I love the game, truly do....but, I am finding it draining balls on the cheap way too much. The roll overs and the lids to the pop ups change the direction of the ball significantly, and for my game, drains down the middle way too many times. I'm set up at 6.7, wondering if I should go to 7.

Definitely go more towards 7.

#830 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

At least 6.8, more like 6.8 plus a bit. Go ahead and go to 7 and drop it back a bit if its too fast for the wireforms to hold the ball.
Adjust flipper power proprotianate to the pitch. Make the right flipper 1 notch more power than the left.

#831 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I noticed that the stock center post rubber doesn't provide much bounce. I recommend trying Perfect Play post rubbers as they provide much more bounce.

#832 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

How long have you had the pin? I am at factory settings including the outposts, and I am one who usually brings the posts all the way in on my Sterns. As it is, after having the pin for 5 days and getting to learn the shots, the ball times keep slowly increasing for me. If I were to make an adjustment on the pin, it would be to open the outlane posts more.

That said, my pitch is at 7.1 or 7.2 degrees, so definitely give that a shot. People often don't realize that increasing the pitch can actually make a pin easier, not harder, as it can reduce the outlane drains. Not sure if it will help your SDTM drains though. My SDTM drains usually come from the pop bumpers.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I noticed that the stock center post rubber doesn't provide much bounce. I recommend trying Perfect Play post rubbers as they provide much more bounce.

Where do you get these?

#833 7 years ago

Pinballlife.com sells them. I got Perfect Plays flipper bands and post rubbers from them. My LE seems to play a bit quicker now.

#834 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How long have you had the pin? I am at factory settings including the outposts, and I am one who usually brings the posts all the way in on my Sterns. As it is, after having the pin for 5 days and getting to learn the shots, the ball times keep slowly increasing for me. If I were to make an adjustment on the pin, it would be to open the outlane posts more.
That said, my pitch is at 7.1 or 7.2 degrees, so definitely give that a shot. People often don't realize that increasing the pitch can actually make a pin easier, not harder, as it can reduce the outlane drains. Not sure if it will help your SDTM drains though. My SDTM drains usually come from the pop bumpers.

Where do you get these?

Have had it since October. The drains were not as bad as they are now. But I actually think I may have had it set up higher. I had some heavier coasters under the back legs and took them out....hmm. I'll go higher. Iam also going to try and lower the rollovers. Changing the ball direction way too often and not for better. Factory on the posts, might as well bring them in and see if I can keep this ball in play longer.
Also going to have pin exorcised for any demons.
I agree the center post rubber does not bounce like the center post in woz. Thks PF

#835 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Have had it since October. The drains were not as bad as they are now. But I actually think I may have had it set up higher. I had some heavier coasters under the back legs and took them out....hmm. I'll go higher. Iam also going to try and lower the rollovers. Changing the ball direction way too often and not for better. Factory on the posts, might as well bring them in and see if I can keep this ball in play longer.
Also going to have pin exorcised for any demons.
I agree the center post rubber does not bounce like the center post in woz. Thks PF

How did you get one back in October?

#836 7 years ago

Adjust switches on rollovers to prevent direction change. I get cheap drains out of pops but learn how to nudge. Every pun had a pit fall.
Good luck

#837 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

How did you get one back in October?

Sorry.....was March (23rd).....picked up my mmr in October (both from jjp). Getting old I guess.

#838 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Sorry.....was March (23rd).....picked up my mmr in October (both from jjp). Getting old I guess.

I was just thinking how lucky you were

#839 7 years ago

so does anyone know how many smuag editions will be produced?

#840 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

so does anyone know how many smuag editions will be produced?

JJP gave a 12/31/14 deadline for Pre-orders (as an option) to switch their LE order to a Smaug Special Edition, saying after 2014 customers would no longer have the option to switch.

Technically, they never officially limited the number of Smaug. It's very possible they may decide to re-run them since there was never a stated limit to the number they could produce.

Logically, JJP will produce as many as they can sell if there is a market for them.

Hell, they may even decide to make an 80th anniversary SE edition next year. The book was first published in 1937. It worked for Woz.

At this point in time, only JJP knows how many customers ordered a Smaug SE, and how many Special Editions they might choose to make in the future.

#841 7 years ago

Does the hobbit pinball have movie clips from all 3 movies and whats the diffeence between LE and standard ???

#842 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

JJP gave a 12/31/14 deadline for Pre-orders (as an option) to switch their LE order to a Smaug Special Edition, saying after 2014 customers would no longer have the option to switch.
Technically, they never officially limited the number of Smaug. It's very possible they may decide to re-run them since there was never a stated limit to the number they could produce.
Logically, JJP will produce as many as they can sell if there is a market for them.
Hell, they may even decide to make an 80th anniversary SE edition next year. The book was first published in 1937. It worked for Woz.
At this point in time, only JJP knows how many customers ordered a Smaug SE, and how many Special Editions they might choose to make in the future.

I've noticed the apron card on LE's says " 1 "of 1500 (respectively.) and the the smuag aprons just have the #. any chance JJP will step up and clarify this?

#843 7 years ago

How long is the pin? It's my first one so I don't have a reference. Can't wait until it's here!

#844 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

I've noticed the apron card on LE's says " 1 "of 1500 (respectively.) and the the smuag aprons just have the #. any chance JJP will step up and clarify this?

There was a limited window to get a SE.. after that no more. JJP did not say how many SE were allocated and we likely will never know. So the assumption is that the SE is more limited than the LE so likely less than 1500...but who knows.

Sucks but it is what it is.

#845 7 years ago

I have my Hobbit SE now,as of Friday.
Has anyone else had issues with Beast multiball not ending.
I had a game where the mode would not finish,it just kept ejecting drained ball into play.
When it finally did,it was doing a ball search.

I fried my coil and plunger in the process,melted the sleeve as well.
Also did a reset on me on game 4 played,the rest happened with under 10 games played.
Hobbit down for now.

I am thinking it was a ball trough issue,maybe a switch lose.
I did reseat the connectors,but didn't get to try it because of the fried kicker.

Love the game though,I did get to see Smaug killed.
Had over 3 million on ball one with extra balls to follow,turned the game off when I figured out something was wrong with it.

#846 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

1) Erebor Super Spinner. How long do you build it up before you cash in? Decisions, desicions...don't lose the cash out, it's big!!

How do you qualify the Erebor Super Spinner, and how do you collect?

#847 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The outer loops move you toward Erebor until you reach it and loops after build the super spinner jackpot.

Here's a video with 17,000+ point super spinner award

#848 7 years ago
Quoted from TouchingEvil:

Does the hobbit pinball have movie clips from all 3 movies and whats the diffeence between LE and standard ???

Please can someone tell me

#849 7 years ago
Quoted from B9:

The outer loops move you toward Erebor until you reach it and loops after build the super spinner jackpot.
Here's a video with 17,000+ point super spinner award
» YouTube video

I've got to get better at those orbit shots!

#850 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yes, shoot loops to advance towards Erebor. When it has been reached the loop inserts turn purple and the spinners make a different sound when hit. The "collect" super spinner jackpot shot is the captive ball, so avoid that until you're ready to cash in. You have a minute to jack the spinners before cashing in. I got it up to 45k once...anything over 20k is pretty good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 25.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.