IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 167 of 260.
#8301 4 years ago

I payed $6700.00 for Smaug in Michigan with Radcals and plastic protectors and blades. I would have payed $6800.00. But it didn't have the updates either. And I see a lot of people asking $7,000.00 for a HUO Stern Prem, not a LE which would be more typically.

#8302 4 years ago

So I have some questions about the ring button.

I know it is used to select your skill shot when gold. I know when red or green it enables you to postpone modes and locks. I know you use it to launch the ball to hit the man targets and load the windlance.

But I discovered it turning purple and hit it. I used to hate hitting it too much so I didnt lose charge for the gollum save light. But i just had a game where it lit purple a LOT. I never noticed that every time you do it, the value goes up by 100 points. I was scoring over 5k a tap at the end of my game.... what triggers this? I feel it is when you're doing something in modes. I just dont know what.

Bonus question: what does it mean when it flashes yellow and it says "light the horn?" I am baffled by this one as well.

#8303 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I payed $6700.00 for Smaug in Michigan with Radcals and plastic protectors and blades. I would have payed $6800.00. But it didn't have the updates either. And I see a lot of people asking $7,000.00 for a HUO Stern Prem, not a LE which would be more typically.

I paid 7400 (shipped) for a gold smaug edition with a few upgrades (protectors, mods), lightly used, if this helps gauge things.

#8304 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So I have some questions about the ring button.
I know it is used to select your skill shot when gold. I know when red or green it enables you to postpone modes and locks. I know you use it to launch the ball to hit the man targets and load the windlance.
But I discovered it turning purple and hit it. I used to hate hitting it too much so I didnt lose charge for the gollum save light. But i just had a game where it lit purple a LOT. I never noticed that every time you do it, the value goes up by 100 points. I was scoring over 5k a tap at the end of my game.... what triggers this? I feel it is when you're doing something in modes. I just dont know what.
Bonus question: what does it mean when it flashes yellow and it says "light the horn?" I am baffled by this one as well.

Left middle of the screen tells you what the ring button will give you. Purple is good and points.

#8305 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Left middle of the screen tells you what the ring button will give you. Purple is good and points.

I know.... I'm asking what the horn does and how do I light the purple ring button. Just switch hits during modes I guess? Still baffled by what "light the horn" means.

#8306 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I know.... I'm asking what the horn does and how do I light the purple ring button. Just switch hits during modes I guess? Still baffled by what "light the horn" means.

You mean "light Thorin"? It lights the insert for the Thorin character so that if you hit the captive ball you will collect that character.

#8307 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I paid 7400 (shipped) for a gold smaug edition with a few upgrades (protectors, mods), lightly used, if this helps gauge things.

I should clarify that I think Smaug is definitely worth more than I payed with these mods when compared to Stern LE's. I just had a budget of $6800.00 to spend and got lucky. This pin is a master piece and I think it is ridiculous that it doesn't rate higher than it does. This makes no sense to me other than the fact that it is not a great location game because of the depth. This is also the case with my Alice Cooper. That game is under rated because of the tight shots, but it is super fun and addicting and beautiful. I think these modern high end pins are just too good for the wild now. Stern has the take on the location scene with their Pro's for sure!

#8308 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Still baffled by what "light the horn" means.

Quoted from KingBW:

You mean "light Thorin"?

LOL!!
Trying to read that display while playing is a challenge!

#8309 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

LOL!!
Trying to read that display while playing is a challenge!

Lol. Well that explains it! Lol. Not sure what that does, either.

Edit: got it now.

#8310 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Were any of the Black Arrow machines made with a Radcal option?

Friend of mine have a Black Arrow version with Radcal. So yes

#8311 4 years ago
Quoted from Celofane:

Friend of mine have a Black Arrow version with Radcal. So yes

I have Radcals on my Pirates LE and they are Stunning...it's equally or a little better than the Direct print cabs on WOZ

#8312 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Switch hits will build the ring. It goes purple when nothing else is available (no mode/lock delay, backstab or light Thorin)

#8313 4 years ago

Just noticed last night while my daughters were playing Hobbit that Smaug's mouth was not moving. He turns and lights up, but just recently the mouth has stopped. I went into the test coils this am and saw all the Smaug tests were in blue. Everything else was gray, and I could test everything except the blue Smaugs in the picture. I removed and reinstalled the USB, and boy was that thing all bent up from the factory. I'm thinking I might have a bad USB cable at this point? Thoughts from the guru's out there? Thanks!
Murphy

IMG_4480 (resized).JPGIMG_4480 (resized).JPG
#8314 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Just noticed last night while my daughters were playing Hobbit that Smaug's mouth was not moving. He turns and lights up, but just recently the mouth has stopped. I went into the test coils this am and saw all the Smaug tests were in blue. Everything else was gray, and I could test everything except the blue Smaugs in the picture. I removed and reinstalled the USB, and boy was that thing all bent up from the factory. I'm thinking I might have a bad USB cable at this point? Thoughts from the guru's out there? Thanks!
Murphy[quoted image]

Did you ever check the calibration for his min and max mouth movement? There is a specific test menu for just that.

On mine, the stock value for the mouth closed setting was binding the servo. You could hear the servo buzz like crazy crushing his jaws together. Servos do not like to bind. When they bind they pull tons of current and in turn get stupid hot. I think this is why a lot of peoples Smaugs stop talking over time, the servo fries from binding. I was lucky and adjusted mine early in it's life.

Good luck.

#8315 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Did you ever check the calibration for his min and max mouth movement? There is a specific test menu for just that.
On mine, the stock value for the mouth closed setting was binding the servo. You could hear the servo buzz like crazy crushing his jaws together. Servos do not like to bind. When they bind they pull tons of current and in turn get stupid hot. I think this is why a lot of peoples Smaugs stop talking over time, the servo fries from binding. I was lucky and adjusted mine early in it's life.
Good luck.

I haven't seen that test on the menu. I'll have to check to see where its at. He has been working perfectly until recently. So hopefully I've caught this early. Any idea why the Smaug Coil Tests in the photo are blue and not working?

#8317 4 years ago

I haven't seen that test on the menu. I'll have to check to see where its at. He has been working perfectly until recently. So hopefully I've caught this early. Any idea why the Smaug Coil Tests in the photo are blue and not working?

Are they disabled (turned off? yes you can do this.) due to the mouth not working?

#8318 4 years ago

I went through the Smaug Head tests. We turns left and right perfectly. Then I ran the mouth test. It would not open and close at all.
Settings were for 100 and 120 like LTG has. I think that is factory.

I'm hoping this is just the USB wire? Anyone else have this issue? Thoughts?
Thank you.
Murph

#8319 4 years ago

I went through the Smaug Head tests. We turns left and right perfectly. Then I ran the mouth test. It would not open and close at all.
Thank you.
Murph

I think the mouth motor is shot. You will probably need to replace it.

#8320 4 years ago

I would take the time to install an inline fuse on these Smaug servos while you're in there so this doesn't happen..

a066a41688b67c645b50b4708b6d20eab0f0c320 (resized).jpga066a41688b67c645b50b4708b6d20eab0f0c320 (resized).jpg
#8321 4 years ago

For me when the jaw stopped working it was a just a wire that had come undone so think basic as well

#8322 4 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

For me when the jaw stopped working it was a just a wire that had come undone so think basic as well

Do you remember which wire? I'm thinking basic too! : )
Thanks Coz6!

#8323 4 years ago

Thank you.
Murph

The mouth stopped working on Smaug a couple of moths ago. During the test I would nudge the upper part and it would move again for a few times then stop. It took it all apart and could not find any lose wires or connections. Called JJP and had them send me a new servo motor. However, since a new motor was on the way and had nothing to lose, I moved the upper part of the mouth with my hand all the way up and back down 10 times in a row, rather quickly, and as strange as that may sound, it has been working ever since. Just telling my primitive method of a last ditch effort.....I can only guess that there was some kind hang up going on inside the servo motor and I can rest comfortably knowing I have a new servo in wait if the current motor gives up the ghost.

#8324 4 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

I can only guess that there was some kind hang up going on inside the servo motor

I'm not sure about these servo motors, but motors in general can have bad spots in the windings that can cause this to happen. If it stops on a bad spot, it will not start again until you move it off the bad spot. I have had flakey servos in the past when I was into R/C airplanes.

#8325 4 years ago

A an aside, I still have a lot of left over R/C parts and they have come in handy several times for pinball repair. Those small machine screws and nuts you can't find in hardware stores and other odd ball parts as well. It has saved my ass more than once.

#8326 4 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

I moved the upper part of the mouth with my hand all the way up and back down 10 times in a row,.

Not sure about what you mean with the "upper part of the mouth"? Only the lower part moves. But I did what you suggested and moved the jaw slowly several times. Found no binding of the servo. Took the back of the head off and saw the wire bracket that connects from the servo to the jaw in one piece and mounted properly. I plan on ordering a servo motor and an extra USB cable just to have an extra for quick testing.
Thanks !
Murphy

#8327 4 years ago

Not sure about what you mean with the "upper part of the mouth"? Only the lower part moves. But I did what you suggested and moved the jaw slowly several times. Found no binding of the servo. Took the back of the head off and saw the wire bracket that connects from the servo to the jaw in one piece and mounted properly. I plan on ordering a servo motor and an extra USB cable just to have an extra for quick testing.
Thanks !
Murphy

Ahh, you are correct..

#8328 4 years ago

Do you remember which wire? I'm thinking basic too! : )
Thanks Coz6!

It was a wire that went into the Molex connector so like I said really basic... But I also have a spare motor because I rushed to those thoughts as well.

#8329 4 years ago

Since we are all going to be under lockdown soon, if not already, how about a competition for best score / accomplishments on Hobbit over the next few weeks?

#8330 4 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

Since we are all going to be under lockdown soon, if not already, how about a competition for best score / accomplishments on Hobbit over the next few weeks?

What did you have in mind...challenge?

#8331 4 years ago

The Isolation of Smaug;

smaug11 (resized).jpgsmaug11 (resized).jpg
#8332 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

The Isolation of Smaug

That's pretty funny. Now Smaug must take some pretty huge shits so I totally understand the need for him to be hoarding that much TP.

#8333 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

That's pretty funny. Now Smaug must take some pretty huge shits so I totally understand the need for him to be hoarding that much TP.

Plus it will be more valuable than gold soon.

#8334 4 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

I wish I could, but they may put us in trailers and work us 12 hr. shifts for 14 days straight and then quarantine us on location for the next two weeks while the next shift does the same. Two 2 man shifts back and fourth (only 4 of us out of 5 volunteered). Sounds bad, but they are willing to pay double time. Big money if it comes to that. We run a natural gas compressor plant. The spice must flow!
What pin to buy next with extra money? Provided great depression II doesn't start.

#8335 4 years ago

Killed Smaug for the first time just now.

What an experience that was.

It's going to take me 3 hours to come down off of it.

Don't care what the haters say, what a frigging game that is...

#8336 4 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Yep, there’s not much like it in any other games except maybe destroying the ring. Such an amazing game.

#8337 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Yep, there’s not much like it in any other games except maybe destroying the ring. Such an amazing game.

True, but melting the witch in woz could possibly top it as well.

#8338 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

True, but melting the witch in woz could possibly top it as well.

True. I killed the witch a couple of times, but only killed Smaug once. They both feel like great accomplishments. Great code writers.

#8339 4 years ago

Yes, but the points awarded for killing Smaug are to low though eh?

#8340 4 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Yeah, Horde and DTR are amazing experiences but killing Smaug is on another level. Hitting that last shot perfectly...wow!...there’s just nothing like it.

#8341 4 years ago

Since we are stuck at home, I have been cataloging my 14 pinball machines (Name, serial #, Battery type, Battery Quantity, Last changed, Manual reference and notes).

On page E-14 of the Hobbit manual and page E-11 of the Dialed In! manual, it notes that the battery is CR2032. (I assume this is true with all of their games but only have these two.)

I assumed these batteries would last for 10 years or so. I assumed I would change it with the power off when it died. But the manual states that the battery MUST be changed with the power on (16 steps). My Hobbit is over 4 years old and my Dialed In! is approaching 3 years. So I guess I should follow the directions.

I am posting this just in case someone is not aware of the method to change the batteries.

Both manuals state:
If your game's CPU battery discharges below 3V (or if you remove the battery) while the game is turned off, all BIOS settings will return to factory defaults. As a result, your game will not boot properly the next time you attempt to power it up. In this case, contact JJP technical support for assistance in restoring your CPU BIOS settings and getting your game to successfully boot again.

#8342 4 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Since we are stuck at home, I have been cataloging my 14 pinball machines (Name, serial #, Battery type, Battery Quantity, Last changed, Manual reference and notes).
On page E-14 of the Hobbit manual and page E-11 of the Dialed In! manual, it notes that the battery is CR2032. (I assume this is true with all of their games but only have these two.)
I assumed these batteries would last for 10 years or so. I assumed I would change it with the power off when it died. But the manual states that the battery MUST be changed with the power on (16 steps). My Hobbit is over 4 years old and my Dialed In! is approaching 3 years. So I guess I should follow the directions.
I am posting this just in case someone is not aware of the method to change the batteries.
Both manuals state:
If your game's CPU battery discharges below 3V (or if you remove the battery) while the game is turned off, all BIOS settings will return to factory defaults. As a result, your game will not boot properly the next time you attempt to power it up. In this case, contact JJP technical support for assistance in restoring your CPU BIOS settings and getting your game to successfully boot again.

Absolutely.

The CMOS settings are reset if you lose battery power.

Always change the computer CMOS battery with the computer on and running.

There is no real hurry to replace this battery.

I have old mainboards 20 years old and the battery is still functioning.

I would think that maintenance-wise the battery might need changing at 7-10 years.

Keep your fingers out of the fan!

#8343 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Absolutely.
The CMOS settings are reset if you lose battery power.
Always change the computer CMOS battery with the computer on and running.
There is no real hurry to replace this battery.
I have old mainboards 20 years old and the battery is still functioning.
I would think that maintenance-wise the battery might need changing at 7-10 years.
Keep your fingers out of the fan!

Can you unplug the fan to change out the battery?...just to be on the safe side.

#8344 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Can you unplug the fan to change out the battery?...just to be on the safe side.

You mean the one on the motherboard ? And let your processor/CPU heat up and die ?

Man, I wouldn't risk that.

Get a computer nerd to help you if you are worried.

LTG : )

#8345 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You mean the one on the motherboard ? And let your processor/CPU heat up and die ?
Man, I wouldn't risk that.
Get a computer nerd to help you if you are worried.

It takes that long to switch out a battery?

#8346 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

It takes that long to switch out a battery?

If a person has never changed a motherboard battery. Might be nervous about doing it. And is asking about unplugging the fan on the processor/CPU. I have no idea what their plan is, how they'll do it, or how long they will take.

So my advice is to leave the fan plugged in, and get help.

#8347 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If a person has never changed a motherboard battery. Might be nervous about doing it. And is asking about unplugging the fan on the processor/CPU. I have no idea what their plan is, how they'll do it, or how long they will take.
So my advice is to leave the fan plugged in, and get help.

I hear you man...you have to make sure you cover your self.

#8348 4 years ago

I would not unplug the fan and risk overheating the cpu, just carefully work around it running.

#8349 4 years ago

It’s not a big deal. I only nicked my fingers three times while changing the battery lol. It makes you jump but doesn’t really hurt.

#8350 4 years ago

Just had a killer game last night. Got to 4th stage of Battle of the 5 Armies. So cool. Unfortunately drained last ball while trying to hit the kill shot on Smaug. He got away...again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 167 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/167?hl=wolv3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.