20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 166 of 260.
#8251 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I would play it a bit. To be sure all working. Then update it. That way if something isn't working. You know it was fine before the update.
And when you update the game. Follow carefully the instructions on the website. jerseyjackpinball.com - Support - Downloads - Hobbit. The only thing available is the 3.10 Full Install.
LTG : )

And definitely don't restart your PC with the update loaded, it'll start rewriting your computer!

Also, you might want to look into changing the motherboards battery. It's a typical car fob, 2032 style battery. PM me if you want tips, I just did mine a couple days back.

#8252 4 years ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Hey all - Has anyone had any issues with the Kili Spinner (Right loop)?
It sometimes works. It sometimes doesn't. Registers the whole game / other times it quits mid game / still others - it STARTS working mid-game.
In switch test - it shows the switch as CLOSED (Blocked).
This FEELS to me like an opto that is slightly out of alignment.
I just bought the game and drove it home - So - "Ship Happens"

Take a look at the connector on the opto board as well. Had a similar issue with mine and ended up being that the connector wasn't on perfect.

#8253 4 years ago

New owner question.... is the loud ratcheting sounds normal? Sheesh.
Sounds like plastic gears grinding? I've seen spotty mentioning of this here and there - with no real explanation.
Thanks!
Murph

#8254 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

New owner question.... is the loud ratcheting sounds normal? Sheesh.
Sounds like plastic gears grinding? I've seen spotty mentioning of this here and there - with no real explanation.
Thanks!
Murph

From Smaug?

#8255 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

From Smaug?

Yes, Sorry. Smaug Gold Edition.

#8256 4 years ago

Yes, Sorry. Smaug Gold Edition.

I meant, is the sounds emanating from him or elsewhere?

#8257 4 years ago

New owner question.... is the loud ratcheting sounds normal?

Drop targets going up and down fast ? Normal for one mode. Hit the ring button to change.

LTG : )

#8258 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I meant, is the sounds emanating from him or elsewhere?

Coming from inside the cabinet. Like Lloyd mentioned I think it's every time the drops reset. Sounds kind of like a toy machine gun... "pfffffttttt".
But it's loud. HUO owner said it was typical. I just figure it was what had been mentioned a little here and there over the past 4 years on this string.

#8259 4 years ago

Coming from inside the cabinet. Like Lloyd mentioned I think it's every time the drops reset. Sounds kind of like a toy machine gun... "pfffffttttt".
But it's loud. HUO owner said it was typical. I just figure it was what had been mentioned a little here and there over the past 4 years on this string.

Yup. The drop targets are really loud by nature.

#8260 4 years ago

Looks like the little rgb boards under my bilbo and bag end/mystery aren’t working for blue and white colors. Is there a repro board to buy for these or do I only have to contact jjp? I turned in a ticket but was curious if other cheaper options exist

#8261 4 years ago

I've also got an issue with my right (Kili) spinner. It works perfectly in test mode and in matrixed text mode, but I have never seen it register in the game. Glass off in a game and I cannot get it to register at all, but never misses a beat in the test mode. Could this be a code issue? Should the right spinner always register and help advance to Erebor just like the left one does (which works fine by the way)?

I have the most recent code in this machine. It is a Black Arrow edition if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
RLF

#8262 4 years ago
Quoted from OchoFosho:

I've also got an issue with my right (Kili) spinner. It works perfectly in test mode and in matrixed text mode, but I have never seen it register in the game. Glass off in a game and I cannot get it to register at all, but never misses a beat in the test mode. Could this be a code issue? Should the right spinner always register and help advance to Erebor just like the left one does (which works fine by the way)?
I have the most recent code in this machine. It is a Black Arrow edition if that makes any difference.
Thanks,
RLF

Both spinners should advance to Erebor.

#8263 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Both spinners should advance to Erebor.

Thanks. That is how I suspected it should work. So I guess I'm wondering why a switch would work fine in test, but never in the game.

#8264 4 years ago
Quoted from OchoFosho:

Thanks. That is how I suspected it should work. So I guess I'm wondering why a switch would work fine in test, but never in the game.

it is an opto. i would trace it back to your opto board and see if you have any loose connectors. i had a hobbit where everything worked 100% until you put the playfield back into place, then for whatever reason, the wires inside the Molex would move and it was just enough to wire out an entire column of my optos.

#8265 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

it is an opto. i would trace it back to your opto board and see if you have any loose connectors. i had a hobbit where everything worked 100% until you put the playfield back into place, then for whatever reason, the wires inside the Molex would move and it was just enough to wire out an entire column of my optos.

I should have said that my testing was done with the playfield down. In this case the playfield is already in place. Glass is off. Switch works in test mode, but not during gameplay (glass still off, only difference is that the coin door is closed during game play).

That being said, I did check the board and connectors too, when I got this game it must have taken a bump in shipping, had a few other loose connections I re-seated to get them working.

My code rev is 3.10 according to the iso on my computer.

#8266 4 years ago

do you get the noise and just not the animation on the screen or nothing?

#8267 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

do you get the noise and just not the animation on the screen or nothing?

For sure I didn't get the animation on the screen. Relatively certain I didn't get the noise either, but I'll double check that tonight.

Are there any of the game modes that require a person to hit the right spinner? With the glass off I could try to get to one of those to test it.

-RLF

Edit: I am able to start Feast Frenzy in gameplay. As far as I understand I have to collect all the dwarves for that, including Kili. Anyone know if it is the spinner or the right orbit opto (mechanical switch?) that actually collects Fili and Kili? I'll test this at home unless someone knows already?

#8268 4 years ago
Quoted from OchoFosho:

For sure I didn't get the animation on the screen. Relatively certain I didn't get the noise either, but I'll double check that tonight.
Are there any of the game modes that require a person to hit the right spinner? With the glass off I could try to get to one of those to test it.
-RLF
Edit: I am able to start Feast Frenzy in gameplay. As far as I understand I have to collect all the dwarves for that, including Kili. Anyone know if it is the spinner or the right orbit opto (mechanical switch?) that actually collects Fili and Kili? I'll test this at home unless someone knows already?

Clean optos with a q-tip and windex.

Check the alignment of the optos. Dont let them point up to the glass.

Check that no wire or metal is bouncing the light beam.

They could be bouncing off the glass and causing interference.

This has happened before on other games.

Lighted mods can play havoc with optos.

In a pinch, remove tbe optos and swap them left to right.
This will point the emitter in the opposite direction.

#8269 4 years ago

I cleaned and adjusted my right spinner for a couple years, and it was always intermittent. I finally called jjp and they sent a new one that has worked perfectly ever since.

#8270 4 years ago

We've had the Hobbit for only two days, but are REALLY loving the game play. The Tolkien theme goes a long way with our family. We are having one problem though... the ball gets stuck quite often above the upper right flipper. I had a game in the millions going and a hard slap won't budge it from this position. Only a glass remover will. Has anyone designed a "Stop" for the action? Thanks!

P.S. - Not my picture, I saw someone having this same problem, but I don't think they ever got a reply?

ball stuck (resized).jpgball stuck (resized).jpg
#8271 4 years ago

We've had the Hobbit for only two days, but are REALLY loving the game play. The Tolkien theme goes a long way with our family. We are having one problem though... the ball gets stuck quite often above the upper right flipper. I had a game in the millions going and a hard slap won't budge it from this position. Only a glass remover will. Has anyone designed a "Stop" for the action? Thanks!
P.S. - Not my picture, I saw someone having this same problem, but I don't think they ever got a reply?[quoted image]

Move the black wire tie on that hex post (that the spotlight is on) all the way to the top,
Turn the head of the wire tie inwards.

If there is one at the bottom, move it all the way down and turn the head inwards, or remove it.

Push a ball thru the area and now you will see that the ball no longer hangs up there.

This is the official fix for that area.

In some cases the hex post must be turned so that the "flat" of the post is parallel to the side of the game.
Just turn it slightly with some kind of pliers (needle nose) or a small (tiny) wrench.

You need very little clearance.

If a ball passes thru, you are good to go.

#8272 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Move the black wire tie on that hex post (that the spotlight is on) all the way to the top,
Turn the head of the wire tie inwards.

Excellent explanation. I see exactly what you're talking about! Easy fix.
Thank you!
Murphy

#8273 4 years ago

Excellent explanation. I see exactly what you're talking about! Easy fix.
Thank you!
Murphy

#8274 4 years ago

Looking to purchase a Hobbit LE or Smaug - is there a list of the items that need to be repaired on these so that I can confirm if they have been corrected before I purchase? e.g. I know one of the ramps has common issues.

Thanks!

#8275 4 years ago

Check with Gary at Abel electronics. He’s a great guy and has one or two available. I believe that the Hobbits are on sale right now. Tell him that Howie sent you.

If you want to pick up a used one, the price will be less, but you may have to be patient. I would recommend buying from a well respected pinsider so that you know what you’re getting. Any common issues should be discussed earlier in this thread.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8276 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I cleaned and adjusted my right spinner for a couple years, and it was always intermittent. I finally called jjp and they sent a new one that has worked perfectly ever since.

I opened a ticket with Jersey Jack and got this reply:

"Your game is working fine. That is a rule set function." along with a link to the papa ruleset for this game (https://papa.org/wp-content/uploads/HobbitRulesheet.pdf). But nowhere in that document could I find it say that the right spinner isn't supposed to advance you towards Erebor like the left one does.

Can anyone confirm that advancement is only for the left spinner and that my right spinner is in fact working properly?

-RLF

#8277 4 years ago
Quoted from OchoFosho:

"Your game is working fine. That is a rule set function." along with a link to the papa ruleset for this game (https://papa.org/wp-content/uploads/HobbitRulesheet.pdf). But nowhere in that document could I find it say that the right spinner isn't supposed to advance you towards Erebor like the left one does.
Can anyone confirm that advancement is only for the left spinner and that my right spinner is in fact working properly?
-RLF

On my Hobbit both spinners definitely advance you to Erebor....left and right.

#8278 4 years ago
Quoted from OchoFosho:

-RLF

I’ll confirm they aren’t telling you accurate information. Mine was always frustrating and intermittently advancing the map. After getting a new opto, it ALWAYS advances.

Not sure what’s going on at jjp tech services. I called about my 3 light boards I listed above and they wrote me up a ticket for new ones to buy. Luckily I didn’t have my check card on hand, and after thinking it was odd that 3 boards went bad at same time, I investigated further and found that simply reseating the connectors fixed the missing colors. Can’t remember who I talked to, but they were quick to just send and charge for new boards before really diagnosing more. He did tell me to read manual and trace wires eventually, but not until after they originally sent me an invoice and I eventually just called to talk on the phone vs email. Friendly guy though, but seems like they should have told me odds are something different than bad boards.

Your opto is definitely bad.

#8279 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I I investigated further and found that simply reseating the connectors fixed the missing colors.

I have been hearing this a lot on Pinside. These RGB lights are very prone to this connector loosening issue causing the single color. So this is the first check to make whenever this occurs...

#8280 4 years ago
Quoted from Snappy:

Looking to purchase a Hobbit LE or Smaug - is there a list of the items that need to be repaired on these so that I can confirm if they have been corrected before I purchase? e.g. I know one of the ramps has common issues.
Thanks!

I've been thinking about selling my Hobbit LE, but don't know if my wife would let me as I would like a Dialed in.....Game only has about 120 plays or less. HUO.

#8281 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I've been thinking about selling my Hobbit LE, but don't know if my wife would let me as I would like a Dialed in.....Game only has about 120 plays or less. HUO.

Definitely a downgrade in art package and theme, but Dialed In is a great playing game.

#8282 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Get both. Both crazy different gameplay.

#8283 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Definitely a downgrade in art package and theme, but Dialed In is a great playing game.

You guys like DI or Hobbit better? @ Jorant too.

#8284 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Get both. Both crazy different gameplay.

Quoted from 3pinballs:

Keep Hobbit and GET a Dialed In!

#8285 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Owning them both, if someone put a gun to my head and asked me to choose, I would say Dialed In. But you can play Hobbit in different ways and the software is better. I mean, overall presentation wise Hobbit is better, but shooting Dialed In is so smooth with just an alarming amount of toys in the game. It is super fun. Good luck.

#8286 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I own both and think Hobbit is better. They both are really good pins, but Hobbit just nailed the license and I am still discovering new things about it after owning for a couple years. And I still HAVEN'T KILLED SMAUG!!!!

#8287 4 years ago

I'll tell you this about Hobbit. You are IN that game. The way they made the game, it feels like you're doing all the things they say you're doing. You're fighting smaug. You're escaping from all these perils. You have to save people, search for answers. You are very much on this adventure. This isn't just some theme they slap on the game because pinball games "need a theme." The integration of theme is amazing. BM66 like.

One game I love: Stern Star Trek, is awesome. But those modes? I don't FEEL like I'm doing those things the game says. I'm just playing it. Still love the game. But I'm not in the game. Not the Hobbit. Damn fine coding and theme.

#8288 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'll tell you this about Hobbit. You are IN that game. The way they made the game, it feels like you're doing all the things they say you're doing. You're fighting smaug. You're escaping from all these perils. You have to save people, search for answers. You are very much on this adventure. This isn't just some theme they slap on the game because pinball games "need a theme." The integration of theme is amazing. BM66 like.
One game I love: Stern Star Trek, is awesome. But those modes? I don't FEEL like I'm doing those things the game says. I'm just playing it. Still love the game. But I'm not in the game. Not the Hobbit. Damn fine coding and theme.

I agree and I have Star Trek. ST makes it on flow and intense multi balls and the killer warp ramp shot! But Hobbit is in a whole higher class as for as depth and objectives and theme integration. I haven't played DI enough to be an authority on the subject, but if you like art, depth, theme integration, Hobbit is king.

#8289 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'll tell you this about Hobbit.

And so will Gary.....

https://vimeo.com/48759071

#8290 4 years ago

Were any of the Black Arrow machines made with a Radcal option?

#8291 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

And I still HAVEN'T KILLED SMAUG!!!!

I kill Smaug almost every single game now. Stop trying to use the upper right flipper and just cradle ball on the lower flipper and use that.

Quoted from Vitty:

Were any of the Black Arrow machines made with a Radcal option?

I believe the only radcal version made was for the Smaug edition.

#8292 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I believe the only radcal version made was for the Smaug edition.

Mine is a Smaug - and has radcals. But I am pretty sure that the LE had them as a option as well.

Not sure about the Black Arrow version though - I am betting that they did have the option.

#8293 4 years ago

By the way, I heard somewhere that JJP has a code update for wireless network support for game updates, manual updates, scores? etc. and that all 5 of the JJP machines would get the update.

Any news on that?

And I wonder if there is a few more code nuggets in store for Hobbit when that happens . . .

#8294 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

By the way, I heard somewhere that JJP has a code update for wireless network support for game updates, manual updates, scores? etc. and that all 5 of the JJP machines would get the update.
Any news on that?
And I wonder if there is a few more code nuggets in store for Hobbit when that happens . . .

It's just beta code for access to updates via wifi. I haven't heard anything more than that, code wise though.

#8295 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Any news on that?

Beta testers are on hold for that currently. Just guessing that the programmers are busy putting all they can into the last few weeks before JJP #6 is released as they have claimed that all future pins will ship with complete code, but maybe not all of the bells, whistles, and light shows fully polished yet. That is totally understandable.

Yes - all 5 pins are being tested for the wifi/ethernet updates simultaneously probably to work out any issues and keep that utility common with all of the pins. We've only tested the gui changes/fixes and for delta updates. Full ISO install update testing is next and coming soon we have been told. No mention of more game code related updates coming for Hobbit.

#8296 4 years ago

Looking for a little pricing advice. Would you buy a Hobbit Black Arrow edition for 7k? If not, what price would you offer? Has the following description:

"This pin is in great shape and was purchased in late Dec 2018. Game was new in the box when it arrived. I had a local tech go through it carefully so everything is working fine. Game only has 139 Plays and is running 3.10 software. Cosmetically there are no issues."

Also, wondering what questions you would ask the buyer? This would be my first pin.

Thanks!

#8297 4 years ago
Quoted from Snappy:

Looking for a little pricing advice. Would you buy a Hobbit Black Arrow edition for 7k? If not, what price would you offer? Has the following description:
"This pin is in great shape and was purchased in late Dec 2018. Game was new in the box when it arrived. I had a local tech go through it carefully so everything is working fine. Game only has 139 Plays and is running 3.10 software. Cosmetically there are no issues."
Also, wondering what questions you would ask the buyer? This would be my first pin.
Thanks!

It sounds so noobish when they announce number of plays! This is ubiquitous now. It is pointless because there is no way to prove this given that any code update erases the stats.

#8298 4 years ago

Seems like a fair price as long as it’s in full working order and in nice condition.

#8299 4 years ago
Quoted from Snappy:

Looking for a little pricing advice. Would you buy a Hobbit Black Arrow edition for 7k?

TH prices have plateaud. $6500 has been where I've seen most HUO's. I have seen a few at $6200 .... more or less a fire sale because they weren't able to sell it. $7k is way too much. But that's the beauty of capitalism, you can ask whatever price ya want.

#8300 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

TH prices have plateaud. $6500 has been where I've seen most HUO's. I have seen a few at $6200 .... more or less a fire sale because they weren't able to sell it. $7k is way too much. But that's the beauty of capitalism, you can ask whatever price ya want.

I think 6200 is way too low for a HUO and over 7K is a bit too high. I would say the range is 6500 to 7K is where most will sell. If it is in excellent condition and radcals 6900 or 7 is about right.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 166 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/166 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.