IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 260.
#8101 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Well I got around to installing the new ramp flaps and Cliffy's. And you guys were right! It was a PITA! I like how I had to remove the 5 bank drop target assembly so I could remove the VUK assembly so I could get at the post nut under playfield to install the Balin Cliffy. I followed the advice given to me here and the job went extremely well! The 1/8" diameter semi-tubular rivets would not seal tight up against a block of hard wood so I used the butt end of my bench vice. I used the HANSON HT-174 HAND RIVET CLINCHER. There was a little flattening of the rounded top of the rivet, but it looks fine. I replaced all rubbers and waxed as well. Only thing left to do now is install beast door ball stops. I did pick up a 12" nut driver extension to do it. amazon.com link »
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work!

I still need to do this myself, the Cliffy's I mean. Any standout advice?

Did you put mylar in the shooter lane as well?

#8102 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Nice work!
I still need to do this myself, the Cliffy's I mean. Any standout advice?
Did you put mylar in the shooter lane as well?

This!!

Quoted from CLEllison:

When removing the ramp, DO NOT pop the sensors off the ramp. Unplug the sensor connectors from the board underneath and label them and pull them through the playfield. Be careful when handling. Drill pop rivets out, install new flaps and reverse process. These sensors are just stupid ridiculous to try to get to snap back on.
If you're going to do a set of Cliffy's, do it all at the same time. Cliffy's absolutely suck ass to install on this machine (specifically Balin). You'll swear so much you're neighborhood priest might bust down the door yelling "the power of Christ compels you". DO NOT play your machine for 24 hours after. Let the adhesive setup/cure.
And lastly, while the ramp is out REPLACE ALL RUBBERS and make DAMN sure both hole backstops are tight and the posts in the pop bumper area are also tight.

No, I didn't put Mylar in shooter lane yet. I will do this when I do the beast door ball stops.

#8103 4 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

Lol I’m so on the fence with this trade. I don’t hate DP but I love the theme of the Hobbit more. I wish I had more time on TH, it might make it easier. I’ve only played it a couple times at a show a year ago. Decisions decisions.....

hobbit > dp alllllllll day. no contest

#8104 4 years ago

I have both and love them both for what they are, but i don't play Hobbit a tenth of what i play Deadpool.

#8105 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

This!!

No, I didn't put Mylar in shooter lane yet. I will do this when I do the beast door ball stops.

Thanks man!

Cliffy sent me this guide someone had done. Seems pretty effective!

http://www.purcellvillepinball.com/HobbitLE2016.html#Cliffy

#8106 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Thanks man!

Ya, that's a good guide. I didn't get the inlane Cliff'y protectors.
But make sure you clean the wax off around the holes before installing the protectors. There is epoxy on them that needs to bond to the wood. Use Naphtha to remove the wax.

#8107 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Ya, that's a good guide. I didn't get the inlane Cliff'y protectors.
But make sure you clean the wax off around the holes before installing the protectors. There is epoxy on them that needs to bond to the wood. Use Naphtha to remove the wax.

I was waiting to wax it after I got the Cliffy's in. I haven't even played it yet.

These must be a bit, a bit easier to install than the Pirate's Cliffy's. Hope so anyway.

#8108 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Thanks man!

I'm catching up on my pinside favorites. I was over 1000 posts behind on Hobbit. So I just came to the end and saw that my website (www.purcellvillepinball.com) was referenced by Cliff for my photos for his protectors. Kind of cool to see.

#8109 4 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I'm catching up on my pinside favorites. I was over 1000 posts behind on Hobbit. So I just came to the end and saw that my website (www.purcellvillepinball.com) was referenced by Cliff for my photos for his protectors. Kind of cool to see.

Oh nice!

I figured that had to have been written by a pinsider! I asked him for advice, and he sent me the great description by you!

Excellent work, and I hope it helps me when I get to this in a few days!

#8110 4 years ago

I finally killed Smaug after 3+ years. lol

My son was there to witness it, we both geeked out like crazy. What a cool moment. Love this game.

#8111 4 years ago

Apparently, my multiball game leaves much to be desired!

#8112 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

If you swap out the bulbs, make sure you use 12V. I learned through personal experience (melting bulbs) that these are not the typical 5V GI sockets.

I did the same thing haha

#8113 4 years ago

Spot light replacement bulbs..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W4KBN6V/

#8114 4 years ago

Just joined the club. Super impressed by the game. I was afraid pop ups would come up too much, but if anything they don't pop up enough. Lol. Very very impressed by the software and general presentation of this game. Very much not a game for a public location, but almost demands a home environment to enjoy properly.

20200204_151441 (resized).jpg20200204_151441 (resized).jpg
#8115 4 years ago

I find it plays the best if you have a spotter over your shoulder who understands the game that can call the shots you need for you.

#8116 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Spot light replacement bulbs..
amazon.com link »

I use these from Comet: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/opmax-12v

#8117 4 years ago

Just listed a Hobbit Smaug Edition for sale in NC. I loved to show it to you.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/91692

#8118 4 years ago

Any idea where I can find the black plastic part that holds the drop target up?

2020_02_11_20_46_46_Three_Bank_Drop_Target_Assembly_Right (resized).jpg2020_02_11_20_46_46_Three_Bank_Drop_Target_Assembly_Right (resized).jpg
#8119 4 years ago
Quoted from Jazz_Jack:

Any idea where I can find the black plastic part that holds the drop target up?[quoted image]

I got some from Marcos if you get the manual out you can find the part number.

#8120 4 years ago
Quoted from Jazz_Jack:

Any idea where I can find the black plastic part that holds the drop target up?

Quoted from coz6:

I got some from Marcos if you get the manual out you can find the part number.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8334-3 This ?

LTG : )

#8121 4 years ago

Thank you! Mine is as shown in the picture with 3 separate plastic parts, but the one piece should work even better and won't break as easy.

#8122 4 years ago

Is there one for the dwarf target? (5 target)
Or do you just get 2 and cut one piece down?

Its been a problem in the past.

#8123 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

No idea. Took some digging to find the other.

#8124 4 years ago

Is there one for the dwarf target?

Marco has a shorter and little longer listed. Both out of stock.

#8125 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Marco has a shorter and little linger listed. Both out of stock.

too bad...maybe someone else has it

#8126 4 years ago

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-6163-05

Searching Marco didn't turn it up. Google Search for : "pinball drop target rest ledge" turned up more.

#8127 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-6163-05
Searching Marco didn't turn it up. Google Search for : "pinball drop target rest ledge" turned up more.

I ended up ordering from Pinball Life, they have the single, 3, 4 and 5 bank, but it's for Stern. Since It looks the same I hope it will work.

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=Target%20Rest%20Ledge

#8128 4 years ago
Quoted from Jazz_Jack:

I ended up ordering from Pinball Life, they have the single, 3, 4 and 5 bank, but it's for Stern. Since It looks the same I hope it will work.
https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=Target%20Rest%20Ledge

Report back how it works out with those please - thanks.

#8129 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

2nd this !

#8130 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Will do...

#8131 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I received the parts today, and unfortunately the stern drop target rest ledge does not fit The Hobbit.

#8132 4 years ago

Is there anything after completing all 3 of the ARKENSTONE modes?

#8133 4 years ago
Quoted from Jazz_Jack:

I received the parts today, and unfortunately the stern drop target rest ledge does not fit The Hobbit.

Thanks for reporting back.

#8134 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Is there anything after completing all 3 of the ARKENSTONE modes?

The final wizard mode, there and back again.

#8135 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The final wizard mode, there and back again.

I thought that was for starting all of the modes? Or can you get there both ways?

#8136 4 years ago

After you play them you just start the cycle again then it's time to make the game harder

#8137 4 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

After you play them you just start the cycle again then it's time to make the game harder

OK so you don't get to TABA after completing the Arkenstone modes. That is a bummer, seems like you should get something for it.

#8138 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

I thought that was for starting all of the modes? Or can you get there both ways?

Nope, I was wrong, you are correct. They just start from scratch again. Completed that a couple of times, but didn't get much farther.

#8139 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

OK so you don't get to TABA after completing the Arkenstone modes. That is a bummer, seems like you should get something for it.

You get.... points. I can't imaging getting all three (super hard to do). You also gotta be sure to bring in a good mode into each. Just getting to them doesn't mean diddly.

#8140 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

You get.... points. I can't imaging getting all three (super hard to do). You also gotta be sure to bring in a good mode into each. Just getting to them doesn't mean diddly.

This is absolutely true. I've slammed my way through all 3 wizard modes, and hadn't completed an important mode beforehand - my score was pitiful for such a long game.

#8141 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is absolutely true. I've slammed my way through all 3 wizard modes, and hadn't completed an important mode beforehand - my score was pitiful for such a long game.

The key is to get a 5 star rated book mode completed, complete the beast mode, complete the spinner map a few times, kill Smaug ... all before starting those Arkenstone modes, and complete all levels in the Arkenstone modes. That will give you compounded multipliers that will give you lots of points.

#8142 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The key is to get a 5 star rated book mode completed, complete the beast mode, complete the spinner map a few times, kill Smaug ... all before starting those Arkenstone modes, and complete all levels in the Arkenstone modes. That will give you compounded multipliers that will give you lots of points.

Holy crap. No way I am good enough to do all that!

#8143 4 years ago

The only 5 star I've ever finished was Riddles in the Dark. Took that Into the Fire level 4 for something north of 750,000 points. That was an epic ride. I always try to start a mini wizard mode with at least a 3 star mode completed. 1/4 value with a 1 star and 1/2 value with a 2 star stings too bad.

#8144 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

The only 5 star I've ever finished was Riddles in the Dark. Took that Into the Fire level 4 for something north of 750,000 points. That was an epic ride. I always try to start a mini wizard mode with at least a 3 star mode completed. 1/4 value with a 1 star and 1/2 value with a 2 star stings too bad.

What is meant by 'mini' wizard mode??

#8145 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Holy crap. No way I am good enough to do all that!

Me too. Point is that just playing the modes doesn't mean that you will get big points. Getting the highest reasonable multipliers in place first is the point strategy in this game.

#8146 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

What is meant by 'mini' wizard mode??

One of the 3 arkenstone modes. There and back again is the final wizard mode

#8147 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

One of the 3 arkenstone modes. There and back again is the final wizard mode

OK, I thought they were just called Wizard modes LOL!

#8148 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

OK, I thought they were just called Wizard modes LOL!

you are probably right on that one - I just replied assuming that is what he meant

#8149 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

you are probably right on that one - I just replied assuming that is what he meant

If we want to get really technical they are Arkenstone Modes. I consider each of the three a mini Wizard Mode. The only true Wizard Mode in the game is There and Back Again. I've never been close to that one since I'm really picky about what modes I start and when I start them. I love how this game plays like a giant puzzle.

#8150 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

I consider each of the three a mini Wizard Mode. The only true Wizard Mode in the game is There and Back Again.

So by this logic I can assume that all pinball games that have more than one wizard mode really only have one 'Wizard' mode (being the most difficult to get to and accomplish), and all the other wizard modes are 'Mini Wizard' modes?
I ask because this has confused me in the past.
When I'm bored, I ponder such things!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.50
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/163?hl=wolv3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.