20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,940 posts in this topic. You are on page 162 of 259.
#8051 4 years ago
Quoted from Mallich667:

The roaming extra ball target is triggered when all qualifier shots (ELF, DWARF, MEN, Radagast, Bilbo, Gandalf) are made in a row, "before" starting a mode.
Starting a mode before hitting all qualifiers will reset the requiring qualifiers for the specific mode and you will have to collect them again.
Go to settings and somewhere there is the difficulty adjustment for modes. If standard is activated (what mostly is), at the start of a game the machine triggers a random qualifier, so that you can start a mode directly from the beginning. This already activated qualifier will NOT count for the roaming extra ball target, which means you have to start a mode first to nullify the already given qualifier.
Either this method, or It'll only be triggered when no qualifier is lit and then you hit all six.
When you change the difficulty settings one step harder, no qualifier is given at the start of a game and the extra ball target should immediately be triggered when the last qualifier is shot.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how it works on my machine

WOW . I don't think I will ever know all the rules on this game .

#8052 4 years ago

Thanks for all the responses regarding the roaming target. I'll check my settings ... and play better.

#8053 4 years ago

Does anyone have a nice picture of the side blades in place? I have side blades on all my machines but can’t make a decision on which is the best for hobbit. Any standout preference

#8054 4 years ago
Quoted from jfrazie:

Does anyone have a nice picture of the side blades in place? I have side blades on all my machines but can’t make a decision on which is the best for hobbit. Any standout preference

I never decided on a set either. I wish that the ones with the gold coins on them were reflective also. Might just install some mirror blades.

#8055 4 years ago
Quoted from jfrazie:

I REALLY REALLY like the ones which have the Tolkien map pattern. Looks perfect IMO

#8056 4 years ago

I can't decide either, pics please peeps!!!

#8057 4 years ago

In Wisconsin (mid way between Chicago & Milwaukee). Have a year old, Hobbit Gold edition that was NIB in February 2019. Only played by my wife and I, no kids, etc. Has 1500 plays. I did ALL the JJ mods, i.e., ramps, NEW left cage ramp, new spring steel ramp flaps, beast plastics. Has Lermod trough and back lighting. Latest firmware. Metal "Ring Button" plate, with gold button ring. Did the Cliffy's as well. The game is 100%. The cabinet is 100%. Playfield has been cleaned regular. It wants and needs nothing.

Question is... What do you all think is a fair listing price?

#8058 4 years ago
Quoted from jfrazie:

Which Hobbit do you have?
I had these on my Smaug Gold (link below). They are beautiful. But, the first set was destroyed by the playfield because it is just too tight and even though I have another set, I am reluctant to put them in. I did just install felt on the sides of playfield, but I will at least wait until I'm done installing the new ramp flaps and Cliffy's before I reinstall them.
https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/hobbit-treasure-trove-gameblades

#8059 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I had these on my Smaug Gold (link below). They are beautiful. But, the first set was destroyed by the playfield because it is just too tight and even though I have another set, I am reluctant to put them in. I did just install felt on the sides of playfield, but I will at least wait until I'm done installing the new ramp flaps and Cliffy's before I reinstall them.

If you have art blades installed you need the side art protectors at pinball life.

They are cheap and perfect protection.

I use them always.

#8060 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

If you have art blades installed you need the side art protectors at pinball life.
I use them always.

Thanks!
I've never seen those before. I will give them a try.
I own you a drink for all the help!

#8061 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I like those the best so far too, but wish they were more reflective.

I killed Smaug for the first time today - what a rush! Got through all 3 Arkenstone modes completing 2-3 stages in each of those. Got my new GC score with it at a little more than 4.3mil. This game is great, super great code and modes, had it for over 3 years, and isn't going anywhere!

#8062 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I like those the best so far too, but wish they were more reflective.
I killed Smaug for the first time today - what a rush! Got through all 3 Arkenstone modes completing 2-3 stages in each of those. Got my new GC score with it at a little more than 4.3mil. This game is great, super great code and modes, had it for over 3 years, and isn't going anywhere!

Man! You're better than I am!

#8063 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Man! You're better than I am!

Maybe not. I did the Smaug kill shot with the upper flipper though and that felt great! I just had a real good game. Previous GC score was 3.4mil and the rest of the 8 high scores are between 2 and 3mil.

With all of the shots in the 5 JJP pins (some really tough), I think playing all of them helps to make you a better player on the other 4 pins. Juggling the multiballs and aiming at specific shots at the same time is a great challenge. Quite often you aim it right, but it hits another ball. Playing multiballs on this pin has helped me with Pirates and WOZ multiballs. Sometimes you just need to fling a few someplace to bounce around for a bit and get them out of the way to aim for the jackpot shots. Probably trying for the DI sim card shot (very tough) helped me to finally nail the Smaug kill shot from the upper flipper.

I need to keep mixing up what pin I play and not just stick to trying to concur 1 pin - that helps me improve overall. Anyway, sorry for rambling on …

#8064 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Maybe not. I did the Smaug kill shot with the upper flipper though and that felt great! I just had a real good game. Previous GC score was 3.4mil and the rest of the 8 high scores are between 2 and 3mil.
With all of the shots in the 5 JJP pins (some really tough), I think playing all of them helps to make you a better player on the other 4 pins. Juggling the multiballs and aiming at specific shots at the same time is a great challenge. Quite often you aim it right, but it hits another ball. Playing multiballs on this pin has helped me with Pirates and WOZ multiballs. Sometimes you just need to fling a few someplace to bounce around for a bit and get them out of the way to aim for the jackpot shots. Probably trying for the DI sim card shot (very tough) helped me to finally nail the Smaug kill shot from the upper flipper.
I need to keep mixing up what pin I play and not just stick to trying to concur 1 pin - that helps me improve overall. Anyway, sorry for rambling on …

No, I enjoy listening to other people experiences learning to play better. That what Pinside is for! I agree mixing it up on different pins is huge for improving skills. For instance, after I got my ACNC (tough game) my Start Trek scores soared. It's paramount to learn to control the ball better and shoot accurate on ACNC! Hopefully my Hobbit scores will also get better. I just haven't had much time since I got it to focus on playing it a lot.

#8065 4 years ago

I seem to make my largest improvements as a player when i compete against new and better players (they are all better) and my small incremental gains through playing different machines and the skills that are needed for a particular machine.

Coming home from a comp will see me practicing things i have seen, and my scores reflect that.

#8066 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Coming home from a comp will see me practicing things i have seen, and my scores reflect that.

Even watching the pro's on YouTube helps. You do pick up on things and become more conscience of what you are doing wrong.

#8067 4 years ago
Quoted from jfrazie:

Quoted from JonCrox:

I can't decide either, pics please peeps!!!

I have Tilt Graphics' "Treasure Trove" gameblades on my Hobbit as I like how they extend the Smaug gold and Erebor palace theme from the back of the game. Here are a few quick pics. Unfortunately, they're no longer perfect as I've snagged them on both sides with the playfield and have had to apply small repair/protectective mylar patches accordingly.

DSC05213 (resized).JPGDSC05213 (resized).JPGDSC05191 (resized).JPGDSC05191 (resized).JPGDSC05190 (resized).JPGDSC05190 (resized).JPGDSC05203 (resized).JPGDSC05203 (resized).JPGDSC05212 (resized).JPGDSC05212 (resized).JPG

#8068 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I have Tilt Graphics' "Treasure Trove" gameblades on my Hobbit as I like how they extend the Smaug gold and Erebor palace theme from the back of the game. Here are a few quick pics. Unfortunately, they're no longer perfect as I've snagged them on both sides with the playfield and have had to apply small repair/protectective mylar patches accordingly.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow they look good! Totally agree they extend the pf perfectly, will be ordering those now! (And the protectors) thanks for the links and pics guys!

#8069 4 years ago

How did you route the wires on the shire mod? Did you do as the instructions as I cannot see your wire in the mystery hole.

#8070 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

How did you route the wires on the shire mod? Did you do as the instructions as I cannot see your wire in the mystery hole.

I ran it out the left side and down thru the mystery target hole. More or less like the mod's instructions.

#8071 4 years ago

I really like the look of these. Matches nicely with the map on the apron artwork.
46F6C0B3-5EA5-402F-9C0F-C6604D2A4293 (resized).jpeg46F6C0B3-5EA5-402F-9C0F-C6604D2A4293 (resized).jpegB6DEFB70-D32A-474A-A4DE-FE7EB6B909F1 (resized).jpegB6DEFB70-D32A-474A-A4DE-FE7EB6B909F1 (resized).jpegEA74C334-0179-4521-928B-A73E8EB74357 (resized).jpegEA74C334-0179-4521-928B-A73E8EB74357 (resized).jpeg

#8072 4 years ago

Thanks. This is exactly what I needed. Just purchased these because that looks awesome. I don’t mind the map version but they just don’t seem to “blend” like these, especially with the baby blue at the top of the map. Just my opinion.

#8073 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I really like the look of these. Matches nicely with the map on the apron artwork.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I really like those, is there a link?

#8074 4 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

In Wisconsin (mid way between Chicago & Milwaukee). Have a year old, Hobbit Gold edition that was NIB in February 2019. Only played by my wife and I, no kids, etc. Has 1500 plays. I did ALL the JJ mods, i.e., ramps, NEW left cage ramp, new spring steel ramp flaps, beast plastics. Has Lermod trough and back lighting. Latest firmware. Metal "Ring Button" plate, with gold button ring. Did the Cliffy's as well. The game is 100%. The cabinet is 100%. Playfield has been cleaned regular. It wants and needs nothing.
Question is... What do you all think is a fair listing price?

Can anyone give me some idea here? Thanks.

#8075 4 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

Can anyone give me some idea here? Thanks.

I'd look around a bit at the market archive. I think (you'll have to verify) that the Smaug LE games sell for slightly higher than the Black Arrow or other versions. They seem to be around the high 6's to low 7's in good condition.

#8077 4 years ago

The map pinblades are made by PinGraffix.

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/the-hobbit-pinblades

#8078 4 years ago

The map pinblades are made by PinGraffix.

But somehow cheaper if you buy them from Cointaker.

#8079 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

But somehow cheaper if you buy them from Cointaker.

Interesting. You'd think it would be the other way around. Perhaps Cointaker hasn't caught up with PinGraffix's latest prices.

Either way - multiple sources, product availability, and market competition are all good things!

#8081 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'd look around a bit at the market archive. I think (you'll have to verify) that the Smaug LE games sell for slightly higher than the Black Arrow or other versions. They seem to be around the high 6's to low 7's in good condition.

Agreed. HUO are going to be between 6.7 and 7.1 K, depending on condition. Routed Hobbit's are in the 6.2 to 6.5 K range. You MAY could ask for 2 hundred more if it has radcals and/or PF protector.

I don't think it matters if it is a Smaug, LE, or BA edition. They all play the same, and it is just a cab decal and trim color preference.

#8083 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Agreed. HUO are going to be between 6.7 and 7.1 K, depending on condition. Routed Hobbit's are in the 6.2 to 6.5 K range. You MAY could ask for 2 hundred more if it has radcals and/or PF protector.
I don't think it matters if it is a Smaug, LE, or BA edition. They all play the same, and it is just a cab decal and trim color preference.

The only difference besides trim is that the Smaug and BA editions have a slightly (-SLIGHTLY-) different attract mode. Smaug has a video from the movie of when he gets covered in gold, and BA has something else from (I think?) when Bard shoots Smaug

#8084 4 years ago

I hear that wireless network capabilities are in the works for JJP pins. I wonder when/if Hobbit will get the code update. Also, I wonder if they throw in any updates in the game play code for the Hobbit...

#8085 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I hear that wireless network capabilities are in the works for JJP pins. I wonder when/if Hobbit will get the code update. Also, I wonder if they throw in any updates in the game play code for the Hobbit...

WIFI stuff is being tested on all of the JJP pins across the board. I think that they want to commonize that part of the code as much as possible to keep the code under control and not go into different directions on each pin. At least for now. It's turning out great, easy, simple.

#8086 4 years ago

Every time I play I remember I still need to change out my ramp flaps. It seems pretty daunting. Any advice or is it even worth messing with? Mine are slightly curled but have always worked fine.

#8087 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Every time I play I remember I still need to change out my ramp flaps. It seems pretty daunting. Any advice or is it even worth messing with? Mine are slightly curled but have always worked fine.

Its easy.
The only issue is riveting the new flaps.

Even that is pretty easy.

Although brcause tbe ramp is so big it pays to have a helper hold it when hammeting on the rivets.

#8088 4 years ago

Hi all, looking to join the club. Please direct me to a link explaining what to look for.
Sorry to ask, I couldn’t readily find one.

1 week later
#8089 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I use them always.

I used the pinblade protectors today. They work great on all my machines! Highly recommend!!
Thanks for telling me about them!

https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

#8090 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I used the pinblade protectors today. They work great on all my machines! Highly recommend!!
Thanks for telling me about them!
https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

I absolutely use them on my houdini and AFMrLE

#8091 4 years ago

He seems like a really cool guy! Jealous of the people that get to meet him!!!

#8092 4 years ago

Sharing as an fyi.. recently got a hobbit that smaug mouth was not working. Tried replacing the servo. No luck. Took original servo apart and lined gears back up. No luck. Took entire assembly apart and found the pcb was pretty torched. Was about 55 bucks for a new board from jjp and a new servo. Now smaug is back in action!

20200129_140518 (resized).jpg20200129_140518 (resized).jpg
#8093 4 years ago
Quoted from silen7ce:

Sharing as an fyi.. recently got a hobbit that smaug mouth was not working. Tried replacing the servo. No luck. Took original servo apart and lined gears back up. No luck. Took entire assembly apart and found the pcb was pretty torched. Was about 55 bucks for a new board from jjp and a new servo. Now smaug is back in action![quoted image]

thats a nasty burn on the transistor, still i wonder if it can be fixed cheaply.
Those SM parts are really inexpensive and pretty easy to install on that little board.

#8094 4 years ago

Why would it crater like that? Looks like it burned through any tracers around it.

#8095 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Why would it crater like that? Looks like it burned through any tracers around it.

Looks like the servo melted down

#8096 4 years ago

When I took the servo out the gears were frozen. I think the transistor must have kept trying to drive it until it burned out. Either way 50 bucks for a new one really isnt too bad.

#8097 4 years ago

Smaug's mouth has adjustments in the service menu. If the servo end points are set too far in either direction the servo will bind. When a servo binds it pulls crazy amps. Crazy amps = crazy heat.

I know when I got my Hobbit the stock mouth settings was binding the servo when Smaug's mouth was closed. You could hear the servo buzz like crazy in the test mode. His mouth is shut most of the time so you can imagine the stress and heat.

Make sure you run that test and back each endpoint off until you don't hear the servo buzzing. I'd even go another value or two away from that point to be safe.

All little tricks I brought over from years of setting up large scale RC airplanes. Hope it helps.

#8098 4 years ago

Well I got around to installing the new ramp flaps and Cliffy's. And you guys were right! It was a PITA! I like how I had to remove the 5 bank drop target assembly so I could remove the VUK assembly so I could get at the post nut under playfield to install the Balin Cliffy. I followed the advice given to me here and the job went extremely well! The 1/8" diameter semi-tubular rivets would not seal tight up against a block of hard wood so I used the butt end of my bench vice. I used the HANSON HT-174 HAND RIVET CLINCHER. There was a little flattening of the rounded top of the rivet, but it looks fine. I replaced all rubbers and waxed as well. Only thing left to do now is install beast door ball stops. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H7RBSZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00
WIN_20200128_15_12_04_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20200128_15_12_04_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20200128_17_05_32_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20200128_17_05_32_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20200129_19_00_07_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20200129_19_00_07_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20200129_19_02_07_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20200129_19_02_07_Pro (resized).jpg

#8099 4 years ago

On my ACNC all the servos are fused by one central fuse. It blows before the electronics crater. It my be a good idea to install an inline fuse for this.

#8100 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Well I got around to installing the new ramp flaps and Cliffy's. And you guys were right! It was a PITA! I like how I had to remove the 5 bank drop target assembly so I could remove the VUK assembly so I could get at the post nut under playfield to install the Balin Cliffy. I followed the advice given to me here and the job went extremely well! The 1/8" diameter semi-tubular rivets would not seal tight up against a block of hard wood so I used the butt end of my bench vice. I used the HANSON HT-174 HAND RIVET CLINCHER. There was a little flattening of the rounded top of the rivet, but it looks fine. I replaced all rubbers and waxed as well. Only thing left to do now is install beast door ball stops. I did pick up a 12" nut driver extension to do it. amazon.com link »
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yes hardwood isnt enough to set a rivet.

I chucked up a 5/8" masonary drill bit upside down in my vice.
That gave me a nice elevated foot to hammer on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
There are 12,940 posts in this topic. You are on page 162 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/162 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.