IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 161 of 260.
#8001 4 years ago

I just bought a Hobbit. Phenomenal game!

When I start a game, one mode is already qualified. It is always (seems to be) a random mode. Talked to others and also watched videos on youtube and other games to do qualify a mode at game start.

I checked the settings for book modes. All default.

Version 3.10.

Any other ideas? Thanks for inputs!

#8002 4 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Any other ideas?

Tests - Switches - Matrixed - anything stuck closed that should be open.

Factory reset.

LTG : )

#8003 4 years ago

When I start a game, one mode is already qualified. It is always (seems to be) a random mode. Talked to others and also watched videos on youtube and other games to do qualify a mode at game start.
Version 3.10.

Check every single switch and opto with a ball

Familiarise yourself with the switches.

One if them needs adjusting or replacement.

#8004 4 years ago

Ramp flaps and Cliffy's ordered.

- Any suggestions on what type of rubbers are best to install up there on upper playfield where hard to change? There are white ones there now. I want them to last.
- Also, did anyone try Super-Band post sleeves or Mini Post Rubbers. I already have green Super-Bands on flippers. I love how they never get dirty.

#8005 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

You will need to rivet the new flaps on. The rivets are included in the kit.
But the rivet tool/clincher is not.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly?
Are the correct rivets for the tool/clincher included in this kit, or just the pop rivets? I do want to order the tool and do it correctly.
Thanks..

Added over 4 years ago:

They do include both pop-rivets and the proper 1/8" tubular clinch rivets that you need to do it the right way.

#8006 4 years ago

The pop rivets are in the kit. You’ll need to buy a rivet tool like this one. HTH

4633C49D-49D3-4DF0-960A-1C04CA53D131 (resized).jpeg4633C49D-49D3-4DF0-960A-1C04CA53D131 (resized).jpeg874435AB-97D5-4D74-8375-09F6D2EC1E2F (resized).jpeg874435AB-97D5-4D74-8375-09F6D2EC1E2F (resized).jpegB009BE6D-B186-4935-A778-620D43957146 (resized).jpegB009BE6D-B186-4935-A778-620D43957146 (resized).jpeg
#8007 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I'm not sure if I understand correctly?
Are the correct rivets for the tool/clincher included in this kit, or just the pop rivets? I do want to order the tool and do it correctly.
Thanks..

This thing is the bees knees - yes I own one. Super freaking easy to use and works perfectly. Also comes with 3 or 4 small bags of rivets.
ebay.com link: TUBULAR RIVET TOOL 1 8 DIES RIVETS PERFECT FOR PINBALL TONKA TOY REPAIR

#8008 4 years ago

Thanks!
But damn! Close to a hundred bucks for this thing!
Hope I use it more than once LOL!

#8009 4 years ago

Version 3.10.

I think it is a game setting adjustment. It might be the mode difficulty. I would play around with those and you'll find it.

#8010 4 years ago

Trying to mount a Hobbit / Gollum ring here on this post by the Gollum out lane. Hopefully this will work. If not, I may have to braze it to a bracket.

20191227_200249 (resized).jpg20191227_200249 (resized).jpg
#8011 4 years ago

I figured maybe id get some good feedback here. Deadpool premium for a hobbit smaug se. good trade? I have the deadpool, i also have a mint LOTR and thought Hobbit would look good next to it. Opinions? Thanks in advance

#8012 4 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

I figured maybe id get some good feedback here. Deadpool premium for a hobbit smaug se. good trade? I have the deadpool, i also have a mint LOTR and thought Hobbit would look good next to it. Opinions? Thanks in advance

My Hobbit is bolted to the floor. I've played a bunch of Deadpool and it's a fine game but not on the same level as Hobbit IMO. You may be able to to swing some cash your way in that trade since Deadpool has so much hype right now.

#8013 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

My Hobbit is bolted to the floor. I've played a bunch of Deadpool and it's a fine game but not on the same level as Hobbit IMO.

Ditto!

#8014 4 years ago

Funny, I'm actually considering trading my Hobbit for Deadpool Prem.

#8015 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Funny, I'm actually considering trading my Hobbit for Deadpool Prem.

Lol I’m so on the fence with this trade. I don’t hate DP but I love the theme of the Hobbit more. I wish I had more time on TH, it might make it easier. I’ve only played it a couple times at a show a year ago. Decisions decisions.....

#8016 4 years ago

Lol I’m so on the fence with this trade. I don’t hate DP but I love the theme of the Hobbit more. I wish I had more time on TH, it might make it easier. I’ve only played it a couple times at a show a year ago. Decisions decisions.....

I’d consider trading my Hobbit for a DP Premium. Hobbit is a great game. Probably the best theme integration and amazing sound and lights. The layout is the only thing that isn’t a plus on the game in my opinion. It’s not bad. I just don’t think it’s as good as everything else. If I could get the theme from hobbit and merge it with the layout of POTC, that would be the best game! I do go through periods where I really love the game though. I’d try to get some more time on it before making a decision. If you’re ever in the Chester county area, you can come play mine.

#8017 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I’d consider trading my Hobbit for a DP Premium. Hobbit is a great game. Probably the best theme integration and amazing sound and lights. The layout is the only thing that isn’t a plus on the game in my opinion. It’s not bad. I just don’t think it’s as good as everything else. If I could get the theme from hobbit and merge it with the layout of POTC, that would be the best game! I do go through periods where I really love the game though. I’d try to get some more time on it before making a decision. If you’re ever in the Chester county area, you can come play mine.

I'm not sure why, but I'm worse at shooting this game than most of my others, so I struggle with completing modes a lot of the time. I just can't seem to lock in the shots, even though they shouldn't be difficult. This contributes to why the modes just don't draw me in. HOWEVER, the arkenstone multiballs are amazing. I usually end up feeling like I'm chopping wood trying to get to them, but then enjoy the experience tremendously. This dichotomy is what puts me on the fence.

#8018 4 years ago

I know what you’re saying. I felt that way when I first got it. Then I spent a few long sessions just focusing only on modes. Man there are some amazing modes in the gam! My biggest weakness is clearing the man and elf drops. So modes that require that always give me trouble. I always make sure to hit the time extension ramp as I need the extra time.

#8019 4 years ago

I have Deadpool and The hobbit, they were my first two machines. Both excellent at what they do, but what they do is very different. Hobbit is completely immersive and extremely long playing at times.
Deadpool is fast with shorter game times, although a great game can still be longish. The shots on Deadpool leave you more satisfied as a player and the strategy is easier to keep up with.
A great game on Hobbit means you really need a spotter calling over your shoulder, where Deadpool everything is simple and clear as to what you have to do, mostly you've learnt it by heart.

In short, two great but very different games.

#8020 4 years ago

I've done some searches (here and Google) and I'm not finding instructions on how to change out the drop target springs that were part of the update kit. Can someone point me to a location where that is explained? Do I have to remove the entire drop target assemblies? I finally had one break so I guess it's time to do the spring upgrade. Always afraid to bang around in a pin without knowing exactly what to do. Thanks

#8021 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

Do I have to remove the entire drop target assemblies?

Depends on where it is, if so just a couple screws hold the whole thing on, easy to lower.

Quoted from MrBubbles:

I finally had one break so I guess it's time to do the spring upgrade

Just replace the one.

Quoted from MrBubbles:

I'm not finding instructions on how to change out the drop target springs

These springs have a loop on each end. Un hook each end from drop target and metal bracket. Hook on new spring to drop target and metal bracket.

#8022 4 years ago

As someone interested in getting a Hobbit, can anyone direct me to a site that may discuss all the modes? I hear they're quite different than just "shot flashing shots." Anyone care to elaborate?

#8023 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Depends on where it is, if so just a couple screws hold the whole thing on, easy to lower.

Just replace the one.

These springs have a loop on each end. Un hook each end from drop target and metal bracket. Hook on new spring to drop target and metal bracket.

Thanks as always LTG!

#8024 4 years ago

Hobbit for sure. Even though it has driven me crazy at times due to various issues (like right now Smaug's mouth doesn't work and I'm too scared to try and fix it), it's a blast to play. Once you really get it going, and get the mini wizard modes like"Into the Fire", you'll laugh at comparing it to Deadpool. . The sound and theme integration is awesome, and the deep ruleset will keep you coming back over and over. You can attack it differently everytime you play. I like how LOTR and Hobbit look next to each other too.

20180720_165623 (resized).jpg20180720_165623 (resized).jpg
#8025 4 years ago

My take on Hobbit vs DP. I own a Hobbit and have plenty of time on a DP LE. Hobbit is completely different from anything else out there. It really is an epic journey. It is slow at first, but I like that. It follows the movies better than any other pin.
DP is fun, and I enjoyed the rules. It's definitely easier to understand for casual players. I could own one, but after awhile playing it, it begins to feel like the other Stern's.
Both machines are beautiful to look at. Hobbit blows it away in theme integration and sound. If you want more variety in a collection,a different feel with a longer playing adventure, own a Hobbit. If you want another fast, exciting game, get DP.

Last note about the modes(31) on Hobbit. They are the best I've seen ever as far as variety, and lighting. The wizard modes are extremely exciting, along with the smaug death shot. The game really opens up fast after a slow beginning.

#8026 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

Hobbit for sure. Even though it has driven me crazy at times due to various issues (like right now Smaug's mouth doesn't work and I'm too scared to try and fix it), it's a blast to play. Once you really get it going, and get the mini wizard modes like"Into the Fire", you'll laugh at comparing it to Deadpool. . The sound and theme integration is awesome, and the deep ruleset will keep you coming back over and over. You can attack it differently everytime you play. I like how LOTR and Hobbit look next to each other too. [quoted image]

Holy effing crap, look at that room!!!!

#8027 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Holy effing crap, look at that room!!!!

Agreed. Can't believe he voted for Hobbit over DP. Lol. Beautiful set up sir.

#8028 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

Hobbit for sure. Even though it has driven me crazy at times due to various issues (like right now Smaug's mouth doesn't work and I'm too scared to try and fix it), it's a blast to play. Once you really get it going, and get the mini wizard modes like"Into the Fire", you'll laugh at comparing it to Deadpool. . The sound and theme integration is awesome, and the deep ruleset will keep you coming back over and over. You can attack it differently everytime you play. I like how LOTR and Hobbit look next to each other too. [quoted image]

Amazing. Spectacular.
Hats off.

#8029 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

That's awesome! Really shows off both games

#8030 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

I've done some searches (here and Google) and I'm not finding instructions on how to change out the drop target springs that were part of the update kit. Can someone point me to a location where that is explained? Do I have to remove the entire drop target assemblies? I finally had one break so I guess it's time to do the spring upgrade. Always afraid to bang around in a pin without knowing exactly what to do. Thanks

I don't know how one could change out a spring without removing the mech? I tried and just ended up dropping spring down in machine several times and swore a bunch!
Removing the mechs is super simple to do. Just unplug the wires and unscrew mech from playfield. You will have to cut and later replace some 4" plastic cable ties (get a package at hardware store). Just make a mental note of where they were. Once the mech is out, you can change all the springs in a few minutes with no hassle. It's also a good time to inspect the plastic ledges that the drop targets rest on. If these are starting the crack apart, then you will know about it at least. Mine were all good.

#8031 4 years ago

I changed all of my springs quickly and easily without removing any mech.

#8032 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I changed all of my springs quickly and easily without removing any mech.

How did you manage that?? I was all thumbs trying to reach up in there and hook the end of spring to drop target. I can't imagine how that would be easier than removing the mechs.

#8033 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

How did you manage that?? I was all thumbs trying to reach up in there and hook the end of spring to drop target. I can't imagine how that would be easier than removing the mechs.

Hemostat (roach clip) and fine needle nose with a Stanley bent pick to assist.

15 min job at most.

Difficult without some tools.

Also use the hemostat to grip the hair clips on the character mech to keep them from flying off.

Lots of uses for this, including holding wires for soldering.

Inexpensive at harbor freight.

#8034 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Hemostat (roach clip) and fine needle nose with a Stanley bent pick to assist.
15 min job at most.
Difficult without some tools.

OK.
That explains it! I do not own hemostats. You would think after all these years I would have picked some up.
Ordering now!

https://www.amazon.com/SurgicalOnline-Straight-Hemostat-Firefighter-Taxidermy/dp/B01MZIYXS4/ref=sr_1_10

#8035 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

OK.
That explains it! I do not own hemostats. You would think after all these years I would have picked some up.

They're pretty handy.
Especially when soldering wires on lugs to not get burnt fingers.

#8036 4 years ago

Just got a new personal high score, 2.66 million and change.. Got Battle of the 5 Armies for the first time after owning Hobbit for 10 Months. Killed Smaug too. What a rush! There is NOTHING like a good, deep game of Hobbit. I’m glowing.

#8037 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'm not sure why, but I'm worse at shooting this game than most of my others, so I struggle with completing modes a lot of the time. I just can't seem to lock in the shots, even though they shouldn't be difficult. This contributes to why the modes just don't draw me in. HOWEVER, the arkenstone multiballs are amazing. I usually end up feeling like I'm chopping wood trying to get to them, but then enjoy the experience tremendously. This dichotomy is what puts me on the fence.

I've had just shy of 10 million score games several times now. I've literally seen and done all, and I still find myself excited to have a journey
I did a write up on strategy a few pages back you'd benefit from. I wrote from the standpoint of getting through to TABA instead of how to points whore which coincidentally get you to/through the mini wizard modes as well.

#8038 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Needle nose pliers. It really was easy.

#8039 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Needle nose pliers. It really was easy.

Yep.

I just hold them with a hemostat to keep from dropping them

#8040 4 years ago

Is TABA more difficult than the other 3 wizard modes?

#8041 4 years ago

Owned hobbit smaug #34 since October. Finally got There and Back Again for the first time

20191231_020309 (resized).jpg20191231_020309 (resized).jpg20191231_020311 (resized).jpg20191231_020311 (resized).jpg20191231_020316 (resized).jpg20191231_020316 (resized).jpg20191231_020334 (resized).jpg20191231_020334 (resized).jpg
#8042 4 years ago
Quoted from TopTierArcade:

That's awesome! Really shows off both games

Thanks for the compliments. I've set up a similar setting with life-size Dino's for JP Premium whenever I get it from pinball refinery. But yeah, with Hobbit it's added fun when you're playing and look over at a life size Gollum after a successful ring save lol.

#8043 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I've had just shy of 10 million score games several times now. I've literally seen and done all, and I still find myself excited to have a journey
I did a write up on strategy a few pages back you'd benefit from. I wrote from the standpoint of getting through to TABA instead of how to points whore which coincidentally get you to/through the mini wizard modes as well.

Wow, I just had a 2.7 million game and felt like I crushed it. Impressive! I might have to read that write up of yours when I have some time.

#8044 4 years ago

The little book/mode screen on the playfield stopped working on mine. Connections appear to be fine. Anyone else had this happen or know what may cause it?

#8045 4 years ago
Quoted from pyramidschemebar:

know what may cause it?

LCD or board behind it failed. I believe they sell them as a pair.

#8046 4 years ago

I played a Hobbit at a friends today. His game (Smaug LE) has a roaming target to get an extra ball. He showed me by rolling the ball with his hand.
I have a Hobbit (LE) and have not experienced the roaming target feature. When I rolled my ball by hand it didn't activate. Is there a setting I'm missing?
Is it a Smaug LE vs Hobbit LE? We are both running 3.10 software.

#8047 4 years ago
Quoted from pballinhd:

I played a Hobbit at a friends today. His game (Smaug LE) has a roaming target to get an extra ball. He showed me by rolling the ball with his hand.
I have a Hobbit (LE) and have not experienced the roaming target feature. When I rolled my ball by hand it didn't activate. Is there a setting I'm missing?

That must be a setting. What difficulty level does he have installed ?

#8048 4 years ago
Quoted from pballinhd:

Below is from the rule sheet on how to activate the roaming blue target:

Qualification of Modes
Each mode is qualified by some combination of the below 6 methods. Some of them only
require one qualifier. Some require up to 3 qualifiers. When you finish all the modes a
character or race is involved in the text "Completed" shows on the screen over them.
Mode Qualification is based upon completing a specific shot or set of drop targets.
Abbreviation used in above table to identify qualification shown in parentheses.
 Gandalf - Shoot the left ramp. (G)
 Bilbo Baggins - Shoot the right ramp. (B)
 Radagast - Shoot the right VUK hole. (R)
 Elf - Complete the lower left target bank. (E)
 Dwarf - Complete the upper left target bank. (D)
 Man - Complete the lower right target bank. (M)
Once a mode is started its qualifier(s) will become unlit. Other qualifiers will remain lit.
Additionally, lit qualifiers are carried over from ball to ball.
Page 17 of 27
When all modes are qualified (i.e. you’ve collected all 6 qualifiers prior to starting a mode), a traveling
drop target will be lit for points. Hitting this traveling drop target lights an Extra Ball.

#8049 4 years ago
Quoted from pballinhd:

From memory (I could be mistaken) - 15 pop bumper hits and if the ball falls out the gate into the right orbit a drop target on DWARF will light up. if you hit the target then it'll start the roaming extra ball target. AND - (mind you from memory again) the award target will also do a roaming extra ball target?
Meh - take it with a grain of salt but I'm sure of the pop bumper hits scenario. Pull the glass and do it by hand to confirm.

#8050 4 years ago

The roaming extra ball target is triggered when all qualifier shots (ELF, DWARF, MEN, Radagast, Bilbo, Gandalf) are made in a row, "before" starting a mode.
Starting a mode before hitting all qualifiers will reset the requiring qualifiers for the specific mode and you will have to collect them again.

Go to settings and somewhere there is the difficulty adjustment for modes. If standard is activated (what mostly is), at the start of a game the machine triggers a random qualifier, so that you can start a mode directly from the beginning. This already activated qualifier will NOT count for the roaming extra ball target, which means you have to start a mode first to nullify the already given qualifier.
Either this method, or It'll only be triggered when no qualifier is lit and then you hit all six.

When you change the difficulty settings one step harder, no qualifier is given at the start of a game and the extra ball target should immediately be triggered when the last qualifier is shot.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how it works on my machine

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 161 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/161?hl=pyramidschemebar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.