IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 159 of 260.
#7901 4 years ago

Thanks guys I’ll check into this tomorrow.

#7902 4 years ago

Which fix kits are available for The Hobbit. As I understand it, there are heavy duty springs for the drop targets, brackets for the beast doors (to prevent balls from getting caught), and a redesigned left wire form (to prevent balls from hopping over kick back post stop? Anything I'm missing?
Thanks!

#7903 4 years ago

Also,
I would like to add Mezel mods undercab light kit (basic non interactive kit) under Smaug Gold. Which color do you guys think would look better? Yellow or Red? .

https://mezelmods.com/collections/hobbit-pinball-mods/products/under-cabinet-lighting-kit-jjp?variant=35949545224

#7904 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Which fix kits are available for The Hobbit. As I understand it, there are heavy duty springs for the drop targets, brackets for the beast doors (to prevent balls from getting caught), and a redesigned left wire form (to prevent balls from hopping over kick back post stop? Anything I'm missing?
Thanks!

That’s all I’m aware of from JJP..

#7905 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Thanks!

Better ramp flaps. I still haven't ever installed my ramp fix yet due to the complexity of it.

#7906 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Better ramp flaps. I still haven't ever installed my ramp fix yet due to the complexity of it.

Thanks!

#7907 4 years ago

There is also an updated right wireform as well that does not have the 'cut out' in the side of it around the top left pop bumper.

#7908 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

There is also an updated right wireform as well that does not have the 'cut out' in the side of it around the top left pop bumper.

What does that prevent?

Is it this one?
http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/The-Hobbit-Parts/Wire-Ramp-Right-Hobbit-Chrome.html

#7909 4 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Where did you get these?

#7910 4 years ago

Yes. It does not have a cut out to prevent it from falling against the pop bumper and getting stuck. If you look closely at this image:

http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/core/media/media.nl?id=75913&c=3887496&h=44a0f57465b53b84210a

You can see that the top rail (below the book monitor and next to the pop bumper) has been removed so you can more clearly see the barrel. That ended up being a ball trap and a new wireform (without the cut) was used to remedy that.

If you look close you can see this one has the newer ramp:

https://images.pinside.com/1/91/191eaa17e88d998f17867352c48b39c701232e2d/resized/largish/191eaa17e88d998f17867352c48b39c701232e2d.jpeg

I don't think it is a big deal - but the new wireform does correct the ball getting stuck there issue...

#7911 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Yes. It does not have a cut out to prevent it from falling against the pop bumper and getting stuck.

Thank you for explaining that!
So far, I haven't had that happen. So I'll wait and see how it goes. But the left wire form has been causing the balls to jump the kick back post a lot! Too bad it's the most expensive one. Wish I could have caught it on sale.
Cheers!

#7912 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Thanks!

Is there a Kit to fix the drop targets on the skill shot? Mine doesn't always work correctly.

#7913 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Is there a Kit to fix the drop targets on the skill shot? Mine doesn't always work correctly.

That is what I have read on the web and here on Pinside somewhere. I submitted a support form to Jersey Jack last night about the kit and I'm waiting for a reply. I will post here when I get the info on it.

#7914 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

That is what I have read on the web and here on Pinside somewhere. I submitted a support form to Jersey Jack last night about the kit and I'm waiting for a reply. I will post here when I get the info on it.

I am not aware of the issue (or the fix). Can you guys explain?

Thanks!

#7915 4 years ago

I assumed pacman11 was referring to the heavey duty drop target springs that JJ has released. I've already had the DWAR(F) drop target spring break and JJ advises to change them all out at once rather than going back in every time. Makes sense to me.

Added over 4 years ago:

They're not heavy duty springs. Just longer.

#7916 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I assumed pacman11 was referring to the heavey duty drop target springs that JJ has released. I've already had the DWAR(F) drop target spring break and JJ advises to change them all out at once rather than going back in every time. Makes sense to me.

Ah yes, thanks. I have the newer springs too. I am just replacing them as they break. Only had 2 so far in 3 years.

#7917 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Where did you get these?

Jjp sent out a fix kit for us early buyers.

#7918 4 years ago

Fix kits are still available for The Hobbit.
I asked if kits included the heavy duty springs for the drop targets, brackets for the beast doors (to prevent balls from getting caught), and a redesigned left wire form.
They said that I had the kit contents correct. I hope they didn't misread my question, because I am surprised they will replace the expensive left wire form. But that's what they said. I'll report back when I get it.

J.J responded today that they are shipping me this kit free of charge based on the serial number I sent them. My game born on date is (05-19-2016). Machines built after (07/15/2016) do not need the updates as they were installed at the factory.

Added over 4 years ago:

Springs are not heavy duty, just longer. Also, J.J. doesn't send a new left wireform (habitrail), they send a post for the ball trap that exists at the bottom of left wireform.

#7919 4 years ago

You are getting a new ramp, gratis?

#7920 4 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

You are getting a new ramp, gratis?

It’s the return wireform on the right I believe.

My game also had some annoying drains from the -left- wireform for a long time. Eventually I found a good angle to bend the ball catch at the end and it’s never been a problem since.

Anybody have tips for spicing up the game ? I’ve been killing it lately and I want to keep the thrill going.

#7921 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

My game also had some annoying drains from the -left- wireform for a long time. Eventually I found a good angle to bend the ball catch at the end and it’s never been a problem since.
Anybody have tips for spicing up the game ? I’ve been killing it lately and I want to keep the thrill going.

I was thinking of the reworked wireform returning to the left. If memory serves the reworked wireform wasn't offered as a warranty to those with the previous wireform. I wonder if this has changed?

#7922 4 years ago

Made it to 'Into the Fire' tonight and experienced flipper fatigue I believe. I didn't lift the playfield to feel the coils though. May have to look into the RC motor cooler fan thing.

#7923 4 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I was thinking of the reworked wireform returning to the left. If memory serves the reworked wireform wasn't offered as a warranty to those with the previous wireform. I wonder if this has changed?

You'll probably get a post to install next to wireform like I got. It does the trick just fine.

#7924 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Have you removed the center post?
That increases the challenge quite a bit.

#7925 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Dang, good idea. Nope I haven’t done that yet

#7926 4 years ago

Ya, I rely on it and get a drain too often. But my wife doesn't want me to remove it. She really loves this game.

#7927 4 years ago

is Hobbit like WOZ and the Standard is actually the most limited in number?

#7928 4 years ago

I've got the Black Arrow edition, I am assuming this was the latest run and had most of the updates/fixes.. Correct?

#7929 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

I've got the Black Arrow edition, I am assuming this was the latest run and had most of the updates/fixes.. Correct?

Yes,
Machines built after (07/15/2016) do not need the updates as they were installed at the factory. Your build date should be on rear of cab. But Black Arrow was the latest model built.

#7930 4 years ago

I believe the Black Arrow is the smallest run at 750 machines.

#7931 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Made it to 'Into the Fire' tonight and experienced flipper fatigue I believe. I didn't lift the playfield to feel the coils though. May have to look into the RC motor cooler fan thing.

You may want to rebuild your flippers. You shouldn't have issues that quick. I have played hour long games with no issue.

#7932 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Right?! Weak flipper syndrome would never be a problem again. A few ideas:
Round copper heat exchange pipe wound around a paperless coil.

Ya, I thought about that. But it would probably induce a current into the copper pipe. Not sure how that would affect the coil?
Any electrical engineers out there want to chime in?

#7933 4 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

You may want to rebuild your flippers. You shouldn't have issues that quick. I have played hour long games with no issue.

My wife warmed them up for about a half hour before I started and I had a multiball going for quit a long spell. Flippers assemblies look new. This game has low plays. But I'll look closer.

#7934 4 years ago

Hi All...just joined the club with a HUO Smaug. So far I love it! I have a question about the fix kit. My born-on date is 7-12-2016 which just misses the date where all machines had the fixes. I have no idea if the previous two owners installed the fixes. How can I tell if the beast brackets, springs, etc. have been installed? I’m not even sure what I’m looking for.

#7935 4 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Hi All...just joined the club with a HUO Smaug. So far I love it! I have a question about the fix kit. My born-on date is 7-12-2016 which just misses the date where all machines had the fixes. I have no idea if the previous two owners installed the fixes. How can I tell if the beast brackets, springs, etc. have been installed? I’m not even sure what I’m looking for.

Congrats! It's a great game. Some easy fixes to see would be ramp flaps are blue steel if fixed, and the beasts all should have a clear insert in front of them so balls can't get stuck in them. Also, a post on the left side of the game next to left habit trail drop.

#7936 4 years ago

alright I am a fool, just figured out you can select a few different skill shots, so thats why my dwarf target weren't always working. lol They are loud though when they reset..

#7937 4 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Go up on J.J.'s website and fill out a service ticket form and include your serial number. They will send you the kit if you need it.

#7938 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Go up on J.J.'s website and fill out a service ticket form and include your serial number. They will send you the kit if you need it.

You can see the beast brackets pretty easy when they pop up during gameplay. Should be a white color in front of beasts..

#7939 4 years ago

The drop target springs are another matter though. I wouldn't know by looking at them. But no big deal. The left ramp post fix is. Mine jumps the pop up post all the time.

Added over 4 years ago:

New springs are longer.

#7940 4 years ago

Thanks all. I definitely don't have the blue steel ramp flaps or the beast inserts. I'll contact JJP.

--Luke

#7941 4 years ago

Here is the upgrade kit J.J sent. They didn't send a new left wireform. Just the post (like konghusker said above). Kit includes said post, new drop target springs, brackets for the beast doors with screws, and instructions for installation.
DSCN0083 (resized).JPGDSCN0083 (resized).JPGDSCN0084 (resized).JPGDSCN0084 (resized).JPG
Remember that machines built after (07/15/2016) do not need this update kit as it was installed at the factory. Your build date should be on rear of cab. So Black Arrow doesn't need this kit.

#7942 4 years ago

Also got another switch error today.
Matrixed switch #15 Subway Entrance (stuck open)
Hole behind Smaug.

#7943 4 years ago

The post is for the left wireform.
It keeps the ball from hanging up.

Balls flying off the right wireform can be adjusted out with discrete bending and flipper power adjustments.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-setup-tweaks-and-adjustments

#7944 4 years ago

The post us for the left wireform.
It keeps the ball from hanging up.

Sorry, I'm meant Left wireform. (Corrected above)
My ball is often flying over the pop up post that catches the ball before going down the left out lane?
Thanks

#7945 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

What about flying off and over the pop up post that catches the ball before going down the left out lane? That's my problem.

Your flipper power is way too high.

Ball is moving too fast.

Adjust the game pitch to 7.1 degrees.

Adjust flipper power so that the ball can make either ramp from a cradled position.

The ball should just make the ramp and slow up at the top.

Then roll down the wireform naturally.

This is essentially how its supposed to work on all games, not just hobbit.

#7946 4 years ago

Thank you. I'll do this!
But why did J.J. update their left wireform to the new style? This must have been a common problem. Unless it's just because they know most people won't make these adjustment.

#7947 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

they know most people won't make these adjustment

Since entering the home market, JJP has had to go above and beyond anything William's ever did.

This includes making poorly adjusted games play somewhat properly.

#7948 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Also got another switch error today.
Matrixed switch #15 Subway Entrance (stuck open)
Hole behind Smaug.

Go into Tests - Switches - Matrixed and toss a ball in. May not have been hit in awhile.

LTG : )

#7949 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Thank you. I'll do this!
But why did J.J. update their left ramp to the new style? This must have been a common problem. Unless it's just because they know most people won't make these adjustment.

The last couple of cross wires at the end of the ramp hit the ball and eject it from the ramp.
If a thicker gauge wire was used or if the wires were just a little closer a lot of this issue would have been avoided.
I assume there were additional issues that led to the redesign or JJP just wanted to nail this figurative door shut by creating a non-ejecting ramp.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/10#post-3171275
Here is a link to a posting from Jvspin covering a file sculpt repair of the cross wires and many including myself have bent the end of the wireform up to solve eject issues.

#7950 4 years ago

I keep saying ramp when I mean to say wireform or habitrail.

Thanks fnosm! I'll look into this as well.

The upgrade kit I just got doesn't explain where the left wireform post they included is supposed to go?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 25.50
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 159 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/159 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.