Topic Stats

• 7,828 posts
  • 515 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Wildbill327
  • Topic is favorited by 188 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,144 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191027_094800 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_092217 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090807 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091030 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_091023 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0016 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191027-WA0012 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_102423 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090419 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191027_090400 (resized).jpg
182073EA-3A86-4714-A07D-DE14034970C6 (resized).jpeg
B7D506CB-DD8C-4B4D-A4C1-A02716D2C79C (resized).jpeg
FC83295A-EEBB-44D9-8B79-4FE11917D16A (resized).jpeg
20190903_191923 (resized).jpg
20191011_105330 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 155 of 157.
#7701 23 days ago

I ordered the Throne of Erebor mod. Where are you guys sourcing the gold pinballs to swap out the factory captive balls with? Looking to make that change as it’s a nice look.

#7702 22 days ago

Newest member of the family!

20191020_182734 (resized).jpg
#7703 22 days ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Where are you guys sourcing the gold pinballs to swap out the factory captive balls with? Looking to make that change as it’s a nice look.

I was thinking of doing this as well. kevinbuffalo gave me a heads up on where to find the newton and captive balls.

http://www.pinballplating.com/quick-exchange-parts

Email Chris and he'll help you out.

#7704 21 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I've had it happen on WOZ too.
After an hour of continuous play the game gets tired? Over heated? Confused? Either way it starts f#cking up big time...
After the game ends and it sits for 5 mins, everything seems ok. Hard to track down any faults.
pinballgoddess has had some really epic games (90 mins) and has noted verbally (loudly and creatively) this behavior with colorful language.
I'm thinking of adding lotr flipper fans.

Do you have a link to where you would buy the flipper fan mod? Sounds interesting. Could probably be beneficial during pinball parties.

#7705 21 days ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Do you have a link to where you would buy the flipper fan mod? Sounds interesting. Could probably be beneficial during pinball parties.

I ended up in the LOTR threads.

They have used fans and motor heatsinks from the RC car hobby, with some success.

Basically a 60mm or even a 80mm PC fan tied into the 6v or 12v GI circuit or if a wall adapter plugged into the service outlet.

You can mount it wherever it fits.

After a marathon session my JJP flippers on WOZ and TH get weak from heat.

I haven't done anything yet but it's on my mind.

#7706 19 days ago

After a marathon session my JJP flippers on WOZ and TH get weak from heat.

How do these games hold up in an arcade or a pinball show? Seems like that would tax them even more than 1 long home game.

#7707 19 days ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

How do these games hold up in an arcade or a pinball show? Seems like that would tax them even more than 1 long home game.

I dont think that's an issue. The real issue (flipper fatigue) shows up (for instance) when you've collected every Arkenstone where you can start a mini wizard mode but continue working towards collecting the next 5 qualifiers. You then start the mini wizard mode and as soon as you end it you quickly go into Smaug multi ball. Considering smaug mb also allows finishing/collecting arkenstone qualifiers and as soon as end smaug mb you start the next mini wizard mode.
If you know how to play this game you'll definently see flipper fatigue.

#7708 19 days ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Congratulations Wesman, gorgeous game buddy!

It's an amazing game!
Mine is never leaving.

Quoted from melappels:

Fantastic game have fun !

Thanks much everyone for the kind words and support! I've looked at owning this game since getting back into pinball a couple years back, so I'm really excited!!!

That said, Cliffy's are on order. I haven't seen too many proactive things necessary to ensure the game stays in good shape ahead of time, am I correct in that?

Do I need to place mylar half circles in front of the slings? Mylar in the shooter lane, or I've seen these advertised too, would they be better?

https://mezelmods.com/products/pinball-shooter-lane-protector?_pos=1&_sid=3181f6c13&_ss=r&variant=18133347631201

Should I Mist N Shine before waxing, prior to play?

Thanks all to all for reading!

#7709 19 days ago
Quoted from wesman:

Thanks much everyone for the kind words and support! I've looked at owning this game since getting back into pinball a couple years back, so I'm really excited!!!
That said, Cliffy's are on order. I haven't seen too many proactive things necessary to ensure the game stays in good shape ahead of time, am I correct in that?
Do I need to place mylar half circles in front of the slings? Mylar in the shooter lane, or I've seen these advertised too, would they be better?
https://mezelmods.com/products/pinball-shooter-lane-protector?_pos=1&_sid=3181f6c13&_ss=r&variant=18133347631201
Should I Mist N Shine before waxing, prior to play?
Thanks all to all for reading!

Installing Cliffys on that game royally sucks. Best of luck to you lol.
Mylar half circles come in the coin box goody bag as well as replacment target decals.
Wax never hurt anything, but new balls on a brand new playfield wont need waxing for quite a while. As the clear slightly wears away the balls will seem more guided instead of "wild".

#7710 18 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Mylar half circles come in the coin box goody bag as well as replacment target decals.

What are these target decals that you are referring to. I din't think I got those. Can you provide a picture?

#7711 18 days ago
Quoted from Goronic:

What are these target decals that you are referring to. I din't think I got those. Can you provide a picture?

You should have a full set of drop target decals, spinner decals, sling shot mylar and if your model has axes on the slingshots then extra decals for those too.

#7712 18 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

You should have a full set of drop target decals, spinner decals, sling shot mylar and if your model has axes on the slingshots then extra decals for those too.

Hum, I'll look again - I recall that I do have the spinner decals. My hobbit was built in July of 2016

#7713 18 days ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Hum, I'll look again - I recall that I do have the spinner decals. My hobbit was built in July of 2016

Mine came with some spare decals in the goody bag.

And it's a pretty early game.

#7714 17 days ago

Boom! Love this game.... anyone done any better killing Smaug? Well chuffed

E6A132A9-E0F1-4EF5-8158-1C36BFC6E7D4 (resized).jpeg
#7715 17 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I dont think that's an issue. The real issue (flipper fatigue) shows up (for instance) when you've collected every Arkenstone where you can start a mini wizard mode but continue working towards collecting the next 5 qualifiers. You then start the mini wizard mode and as soon as you end it you quickly go into Smaug multi ball. Considering smaug mb also allows finishing/collecting arkenstone qualifiers and as soon as end smaug mb you start the next mini wizard mode.
If you know how to play this game you'll definently see flipper fatigue.

Couldn’t agree more about the flipper heat fatigue issue, noticed it tonight after a 2 hour or so game session. Opened up the door to feel how warm the flippers were and they were pretty much “well done” !! Gonna order some bits & bobs to hopefully tackle the issue.

Irrespective of that what an absolute epic machine The Hobbit is though... I’m spoilt also with Pats TZ and a Dialed-In but this game is so immersive once you begin to pick up the rule set, 10/10 all the way.

#7716 17 days ago
Quoted from Godzilla:

Boom! Love this game.... anyone done any better killing Smaug? Well chuffed[quoted image]

Nice!! I have NEVER killed Smaug and I've had the game well over a year. I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with me.

#7717 17 days ago

I recently beat smaug and it was awesome!

#7718 17 days ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Nice!! I have NEVER killed Smaug and I've had the game well over a year. I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with me.

If you haven't already, turn off beast frenzy during smaug mb for starters. Dont feel bad doing it, it totally doesn't fit the movie anyway.
Secondly, when you fire the wind lance don't focus on using the upper flipper. Use a bottom flipper.

#7719 17 days ago

Killing Smaug is one of the best feelings in pinball. The light show, flippers dying so you can enjoy the show. This has to rank in the top ten as one of the best shots.

#7720 17 days ago

Has anyone actually beaten BOTFA? Holy smokes that mode just frustrates the hell out of me.

#7721 17 days ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Killing Smaug is one of the best feelings in pinball. The light show, flippers dying so you can enjoy the show. This has to rank in the top ten as one of the best shots.

Agree, it was more than awesome and, cough cough... can I admit A COMPLETE FLUKE! ...Doing it again will be the real target now.

I thought the machine had died when the flippers died !

I’ve only had my Hobbit BA (NIB) a couple of months, highest score 2.7mil and not progressed beyond “into the fire” SOOOO much to do, great game well done to JJP

#7723 17 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Has anyone actually beaten BOTFA? Holy smokes that mode just frustrates the hell out of me.

I’ve only MADE it there twice, and once was before the humongous code update. Killed Smaug the other day though..

#7724 17 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I reached stage 3 or 4 in BOTFA a while back. Super intense mode and the immersion in this game is insane. Hobbit is never leaving my collection, it’s a masterpiece. Will try reaching there and back again soon. It seems reachable.

#7725 16 days ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Killing Smaug is one of the best feelings in pinball.

So what is the actual kill shot? When you have completed 3 rounds of Smaug multiple ball is it any of the dwarf targets or a specific one?

#7726 16 days ago
Quoted from Asylum:

So what is the actual kill shot? When you have completed 3 rounds of Smaug multiple ball is it any of the dwarf targets or a specific one?

When you
Make it that far, Gandalf will say "load the Windlance", which you do by hitting the right ramp. At that point the game will fire the arrow, which should get the ball up to the upper flipper. One of
The Dwarg targets (a different one every time) will light.
You have only a real short time to hit that target. A lot of players are cradling the ball using the lower right flipper to hit it more precisely
To

#7727 16 days ago

Awesome - thank you.

#7728 16 days ago

Hitting that last shot perfectly from the upper flipper was absolutely the most amazing experience I have ever had in pinball. It's just incredible.

#7729 16 days ago
Quoted from pipes:

Hitting that last shot perfectly from the upper flipper was absolutely the most amazing experience I have ever had in pinball. It's just incredible.

One of the most intense sequences in pinball along with melting the witch in woz. Jjp wizard modes are on a different level than most. Curious if any of the other 3 jjp games have these intense moments as well.

#7730 16 days ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Your statement concerns me. It's a series of shots that need to be made to light up super jackpot (flashing blue dwarf targets, IIRC this happens twice). The 3rd time lights one dwarf target in red. After you hit that you bounce between hitting (in this order) man then dwarf targets. I think 7 times? At that point gandalf announces "load the windlance" and as an FYI the playfield lights will flash white. Then the entire dwarf targets raise and a random target won't be raised but flashing red. Hit that one and smaug dies.
If by chance the machine doesn't pump balls into the shooter lane for the victory lap, open the coin door and manually pump one up there. Close the coin door and let the ball drain. It should start working correctly again. Super annoying but I've read several people have experienced this as have I a small handful of times.
And as a helpful hint, to get closer to TABA faster just remember regular modes can be started during Smaug multiball by shooting the right ramp. If you see red playfield lights flashing you've beaten the current regular mode. Shoot the ramp to start another mode. The only really danger of doing this is if you start moon runes or the chase (especially that freaking mode which I loathe).
Honestly I dont even focus on killing smaug anymore. Smaug mb is merely an excellent tool to shortcut to finishing the other Arkenstone modes to get to the next mini wizard modes and ultimately TABA.

#7731 16 days ago

Jjp announced at expo their games will be Bluetooth compatible for headphones and will have Wi-Fi . The good news is , it will work on The Hobbit

#7732 16 days ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Jjp announced at expo their games will be Bluetooth compatible for headphones and will have Wi-Fi . The good news is , it will work on The Hobbit

That's good news but how much $$$ as an add-on though?

#7733 16 days ago

I'm still trying to figure out what the point of Bluetooth on Hobbit would be? No more updates so what would it be used for?

#7734 16 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm still trying to figure out what the point of Bluetooth on Hobbit would be? No more updates so what would it be used for?

Head phones.

Update stuff will be WiFi.

LTG : )

#7735 16 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Update stuff will be WiFi.
LTG : )

Once wifi is up and running it would be good if they had a worldwide leaderboard for all the different categories and you could search country by country and see their machines game settings , to give you an idea of how you compare to others . Some people would cheat but I think a majority would be honest .

#7736 16 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I suppose it's JJPs way of trying to be "cutting edge" ... I digress. For future updates though that would be sweet. I've said it many a time that to add wireless, update the code to check the website once every power on, notify you of new update and download and install would be coming to pinball. And if they put a server online people could compete against one another. Basically an xbox lol.

#7737 15 days ago

I recently released a Hobbit Backbox Facelift kit if you are interested in dressing up the front of your machine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1223-pinball-forever/02933-hobbit-backbox-facelift-kit

ITEM DESCRIPTION
Dress up the front of your Hobbit machine by covering up the ugly sticker of the Erebor cave sign on the top of the backbox with a 3 dimensional replacement. This sign includes the Drune writing and the Erebor Kingdom with the Arkenstone above it just like the original flat sticker.

Also included in this kit is a 3 dimensional "I'm Going On An Adventure" sign, written in Hobbiton handwriting, to dress up the empty unused space below the backbox.

Easy installation on both items, just use the included double stick tape, no tools needed. Can be removed at anytime to restore the original condition.

20191011_104738 (resized).jpg20191011_103332 (resized).jpg20191011_105330 (resized).jpg
#7738 15 days ago

I apologize in advance if this is something that's already been mentioned before, but on my machine the kickback strength is quite strong and hits the post above the top flipper every time (post to the right of the vuk). I went into settings and the kickback strength was already at the lowest setting of "6". I couldn't make it any weaker. Is there a different way to control the power of that kickback that I'm not aware of. I would consider myself to be a 5 out of 10 on pinball knowledge so even an obvious answer I'm missing could be the right one. Thanks

#7739 15 days ago
Quoted from psexton:

I recently released a Hobbit Backbox Facelift kit if you are interested in dressing up the front of your machine.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1223-pinball-forever/02933-hobbit-backbox-facelift-kit
ITEM DESCRIPTION
Dress up the front of your Hobbit machine by covering up the ugly sticker of the Erebor cave sign on the top of the backbox with a 3 dimensional replacement. This sign includes the Drune writing and the Erebor Kingdom with the Arkenstone above it just like the original flat sticker.
Also included in this kit is a 3 dimensional "I'm Going On An Adventure" sign, written in Hobbiton handwriting, to dress up the empty unused space below the backbox.
Easy installation on both items, just use the included double stick tape, no tools needed. Can be removed at anytime to restore the original condition.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I love that “I’m going on an adventure “ sign. I think Im going to try out one that says “There and back again...”

#7740 15 days ago
Quoted from jfaulkner56:

I apologize in advance if this is something that's already been mentioned before, but on my machine the kickback strength is quite strong and hits the post above the top flipper every time (post to the right of the vuk). I went into settings and the kickback strength was already at the lowest setting of "6". I couldn't make it any weaker. Is there a different way to control the power of that kickback that I'm not aware of. I would consider myself to be a 5 out of 10 on pinball knowledge so even an obvious answer I'm missing could be the right one. Thanks

One software version long ago had that setting backwards. Try to make it strong and see what happens. If that works, you're probably way behind on software versions.

#7741 15 days ago
Quoted from KingBW:

One software version long ago had that setting backwards. Try to make it strong and see what happens. If that works, you're probably way behind on software versions.

Hmmm... I just updated it last year to the latest version so I thought I was caught up. But I can double check. Thanks

#7742 15 days ago
Quoted from jfaulkner56:

Hmmm... I just updated it last year to the latest version so I thought I was caught up. But I can double check. Thanks

If that's not it, the outlane rail has a little slop in the screw holes. Loosen them and pull the rail towards the center of the playfield, then retighten. Just a small adjustment will make a difference.

#7743 14 days ago
Quoted from KingBW:

If that's not it, the outlane rail has a little slop in the screw holes. Loosen them and pull the rail towards the center of the playfield, then retighten. Just a small adjustment will make a difference.

Thanks, I'm on 3.10 so I think I'm good there. The only change I made was removing the factory playfield protector. Maybe that sped the ball up enough to hit the post instead of going into the area above the flipper.

#7744 12 days ago

Picked smaug gold 34 up a few weeks ago at expo. Broke 3 toes, took the day off, had a beer and just killed smaug today. Pretty awesome.

20191020_182734 (resized).jpg20191031_093945 (resized).jpg20191031_094621 (resized).jpg
#7745 12 days ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Picked smaug gold 34 up a few weeks ago at expo. Broke 3 toes, took the day off, had a beer and just killed smaug today. Pretty awesome.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How did you break your toes? Owie!!

#7746 12 days ago

If he said he broke his toes trying to move this game I would believe it. It's crazy how heavy this game is.

#7747 12 days ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Picked smaug gold 34 up a few weeks ago at expo. Broke 3 toes, took the day off, had a beer and just killed smaug today. Pretty awesome.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I didnt break any bones.

But did give blood to the pinball gods, by scraping my hand all up on a door jamb while dragging it in on a hand truck lol.

Pain and Blood loss did not stop me from marveling at this amazing game.

#7748 12 days ago

I’m sure it’s mentioned somewhere, but after searching for 20 mins, I can’t find it. So can someone tell me what to do if Smaug’s mouth stops moving when he talks? I found a post where someone else asked this question but got no answer. After finally dealing with air balls due to rollovers, ramps that were bent in the front, and beasts falling apart... I was starting to love this game again. Yet another issue makes me just want to go back to POTC though. So annoying. Thanks in advance!

#7749 12 days ago
Quoted from jfaulkner56:

I’m sure it’s mentioned somewhere, but after searching for 20 mins, I can’t find it. So can someone tell me what to do if Smaug’s mouth stops moving when he talks? I found a post where someone else asked this question but got no answer. After finally dealing with air balls due to rollovers, ramps that were bent in the front, and beasts falling apart... I was starting to love this game again. Yet another issue makes me just want to go back to POTC though. So annoying. Thanks in advance!

Ive had zero of those issues. Sorry you have had problems.

See if the wire fell off the servo board. Also see if he works in test.
Might just need adjustment.

Lloyd can help with this better I think.

#7750 12 days ago
Quoted from jfaulkner56:

I had a similar issue with Smaug. It turned out to be an issue with the servo horn being out of calibration. Once recalibrated, it worked fine. You can find instructions on how to do this on page E-4 of the manual (http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/Hobbit_Manual%203_4%20November%202018.pdf)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Braunfels, TX
6,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Fe, NM
$ 44.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Forever
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 7828 posts in this topic. You are on page 155 of 157.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside