IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 260.
#7651 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

It's odd that it's inconsistent, but my machine had a ton of interference noise on the speakers (all the time) when I got it. A $10 ground loop noise isolator off Amazon completely got rid of the problem for me, I'd give that a shot before anything else.

Do this. Fixed mine right up.

#7652 4 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Do this. Fixed mine right up.

Anyone have an easy install video or pic to show where these go?

#7653 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

pic to show where these go?

Page D-102 in the manual , unplug the cable into 13, plug ground loop isolator in 13, then cable you unplugged into ground loop isolator.

You can download the manual from jerseyjackpinball.com - Support - Downloads - Hobbit.

LTG : )

#7654 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Page D-102 in the manual , unplug the cable into 13, plug ground loop isolator in 13, then cable you unplugged into ground loop isolator.
You can download the manual from jerseyjackpinball.com - Support - Downloads - Hobbit.

Thanks as always LTG.

#7655 4 years ago

It's odd that it's inconsistent, but my machine had a ton of interference noise on the speakers (all the time) when I got it. A $10 ground loop noise isolator off Amazon completely got rid of the problem for me, I'd give that a shot before anything else.

I tried that with one I got from JJP, the AXXESS AGL3.5. Got rid of the the attract mode interference I mentioned, but the impact on ALL other sounds was awful. I posted more details about it here : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-ground-loop-isolator-experience

What ground loop isolator from Amazon did you have success with?

#7657 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

amazon.com link »

Is that definitely the one nogoodnames222 used? I've seen a different one linked to before.

#7658 4 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

Is that definitely the one nogoodnames222 used?

Sorry, I don't know.

#7659 4 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

Is that definitely the one nogoodnames222 used? I've seen a different one linked to before.

I went with this one, but I'm confident LTG's is doing the exact same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00

#7660 4 years ago

I went with this one, but I'm confident LTG's is doing the exact same thing.
amazon.com link »

Thanks - I'll check it out.

#7661 4 years ago

Does anyone know how to take the side rails off these machines? Trying to measure up for some custom rails with protectors but the small bolt at the front corner looks to be the only fixing but the rail still feels like it's either bolted or glued to the glass guide.
My Deadpool Stern the rails come off easy.

#7662 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Does anyone know how to take the side rails off these machines? Trying to measure up for some custom rails with protectors but the small bolt at the front corner looks to be the only fixing but the rail still feels like it's either bolted or glued to the glass guide.
My Deadpool Stern the rails come off easy.

I believe these side rails are adhered to the cabinet the same way WPC game are. You may need to use the heat gun and scraper method to break up the adhesive without damaging the cabinet or rail.

#7663 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I believe these side rails are adhered to the cabinet the same way WPC game are. You may need to use the heat gun and scraper method to break up the adhesive without damaging the cabinet or rail.

Sorry i don't know how those ones are stuck on either? Scraper where? Not on the decal?

#7664 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Sorry i don't know how those ones are stuck on either? Scraper where? Not on the decal?

Rails are held on with 3m vhb tspe.

Generally you use 2 thin putty knives and blue tape. Some people use a heat gun.

Put tape along the rail and cabinet to protect the finish on the rail and the cabinet

Place a thin 4" knife just under the siderail about 1/2". Place a 1" thin knife on top if the wider one and press it deeply in to cut/loosen the tape little by little.

Carefully lift the rail upwards/outwards as you go with fingers not the knife. They bend easy. Dont pull it down. Pull it up.

Takes about 15-20 mins to remove them.

#7665 4 years ago

Thanks very much mate. getting some made with protectors on them. Seems like it's the same pattern as the modern sterns but wanted to make sure with the rail off.

#7666 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Rails are held on with 3m vhb tspe.
Generally you use 2 thin putty knives and blue tape. Some people use a heat gun.
Put tape along the rail and cabinet to protect the finish on the rail and the cabinet
Place a thin 4" knife just under the siderail about 1/2". Place a 1" thin knife on top if the wider one and press it deeply in to cut/loosen the tape little by little.
Carefully lift the rail upwards/outwards as you go with fingers not the knife. They bend easy. Dont pull it down. Pull it up.
Takes about 15-20 mins to remove them.

I'm genuinely surprised rails are attached in such a way. I've been delightfully surprised at how removable most pinball parts seem to be in general.

Thanks for the tip and info as always!

#7667 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm genuinely surprised rails are attached in such a way. I've been delightfully surprised at how removable most pinball parts seem to be in general.
Thanks for the tip and info as always!

It's a regular William's deal...

Thanks!

#7668 4 years ago

I heard through the grapevine that Matt (Back Alley Creations) may have some new Hobbit mods that he is debuting at the Expo this weekend. Can someone that is going scope it out and report back?

I would love to see what he has - since he is the one that did the stock molds for the game. I have the gold coin flipper bat covers and that is all right now. Interested to see what he has done.

Thanks!

#7669 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I heard through the grapevine that Matt (Back Alley Creations) may have some new Hobbit mods that he is debuting at the Expo this weekend. Can someone that is going scope it out and report back?
I would love to see what he has - since he is the one that did the stock molds for the game. I have the gold coin flipper bat covers and that is all right now. Interested to see what he has done.
Thanks!

Can’t wait!

I just installed the Lermods back board “gold” lighting strip, and I have to say it looks REALLY good. My game is a Smaug Le, but I think it would look equally good on a BA as well. The ramps light up and look like gold. My only tiny issue with it is that the LED strip reflects off the playfield in front of the ramps, and I’m looking into how to diffuse that better.

#7670 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can’t wait!
I just installed the Lermods back board “gold” lighting strip, and I have to say it looks REALLY good. My game is a Smaug Le, but I think it would look equally good on a BA as well. The ramps light up and look like gold. My only tiny issue with it is that the LED strip reflects off the playfield in front of the ramps, and I’m looking into how to diffuse that better.

I bought the multi color with remote.

After weeks of experimentation I settled on green. Gold looks awsome also.

I put thin pieces of gorilla tape over the lights I didnt want.

I also bought purple one for my WOZ and blanked it out over the ramp to kill the reflection.

#7671 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Thanks!

I hope Matt took my suggestion and made lower profile rollovers.

#7672 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can’t wait!

I also bought purple one for my WOZ and blanked it out over the ramp to kill the reflection.

Thanks guys. You can try to place the strip as far back as possible to limit reflections, but still get good light. If you place it directly on the black plastic where the glass meets it, you’ll get more reflection. I have mine mounted on that plastic channel, but the reflection never bothered me.

#7673 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Thanks guys. You can try to place the strip as far back as possible to limit reflections, but still get good light. If you place it directly on the black plastic where the glass meets it, you’ll get more reflection. I have mine mounted on that plastic channel, but the reflection never bothered me.

I also have this on my hobbit and it's really great. Highly recommended. I have the reflection too but you forget about it pretty quickly and the effect is well worth it.

#7674 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I also have this on my hobbit and it's really great. Highly recommended. I have the reflection too but you forget about it pretty quickly and the effect is well worth it.

There are so many lights, blanking out a few, here and there does nothing to the over-all effect.

Try it.

Gorilla tape seems to hold forever and peels of readily if needed.

#7675 4 years ago

Aah good idea

#7676 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can’t wait!

I also have installed the backlight and ball through light kit from Lermods and decided to stay with green light in the back and gold light in the ball through area.
The reflections bothered me a lot and this is also the reason that kills for example the pinstadium lights mod (no matter on which pinball machine it's installed).
But that's just my opinion.

I work at a german window factory and took a window seal of an old window, cut it to the right length and glued it with a heat resistant two component adhesive right underneath the plastic channel where the glass fits in.
No more reflections, even if I sit in front of the machine while playing and it looks like it belongs and has always been there.

DSC_0004 (resized).JPGDSC_0004 (resized).JPGDSC_0003 (resized).JPGDSC_0003 (resized).JPGDSC_0001 (resized).JPGDSC_0001 (resized).JPGDSC_0002 (resized).JPGDSC_0002 (resized).JPG
#7677 4 years ago

I turned on my game a couple of days ago and the balls kept kicking out and autolaunching in an endless cycle without even starting a game. We were having an open house with the realtor, so I didn’t have a chance to get into the problem. Any ideas where I should start?

#7678 4 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

I turned on my game a couple of days ago and the balls kept kicking out and autolaunching in an endless cycle without even starting a game. We were having an open house with the realtor, so I didn’t have a chance to get into the problem. Any ideas where I should start?

Start with the trough optos, make sure they are plugged in, no broken wires. Put game in test mode and feed balls into the trough. Everything registering? Eject them by hand, everything registering?

#7679 4 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Any ideas where I should start?

Correct number of balls in the ball trough ? One too many can do this. Shooter lane switch stuck down ? Power off reseat ball trough opto board connectors.

#7680 4 years ago
Quoted from Mallich667:

I also have installed the backlight and ball through light kit from Lermods and decided to stay with green light in the back and gold light in the ball through area.
The reflections bothered me a lot and this is also the reason that kills for example the pinstadium lights mod (no matter on which pinball machine it's installed).
I work at a german window factory and took a window seal of an old window, cut it to the right length and glued it with a heat resistant two component adhesive right underneath the plastic channel where the glass fits in.
No more reflections, even if I sit in front of the machine while playing and it looks like it belongs and has always been there.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Fantastic idea!

#7681 4 years ago
Quoted from Mallich667:

No more reflections, even if I sit in front of the machine while playing and it looks like it belongs and has always been there.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your light setup really makes your machine look great. Thanks for the pics.

#7682 4 years ago

Made my way into the Club of the Shire Dwellers....FINALLY....today!

One of the last Smaug's free and flying swooped over my way, after months of paying off Pirates, the Shire needed a sliver of existence over in my own personal Hobbit Hole!

Many thanks to all on and off this thread, for offering continuing information, experiences, and above all...a quiet place to rest my furry feet at the end of the day. No place better than in front of Smaug, a most specially greedy, strong and wicked worm!

20191018_092014 (resized).jpg20191018_092014 (resized).jpg20191018_094742 (resized).jpg20191018_094742 (resized).jpg20191018_143112 (resized).jpg20191018_143112 (resized).jpg
#7683 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

One of the last Smaug's free and flying swooped over my way, after months of paying off Pirates, the Shire needed a sliver of existence over in my own personal Hobbit Hole!
Many thanks to all on and off this thread, for offering continuing information, experiences, and above all...a quiet place to rest my furry feet at the end of the day. No place better than in front of Smaug, a most specially greedy, strong and wicked worm! [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congratulations Wesman, gorgeous game buddy!

#7684 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Many thanks to all on and off this thread, for offering continuing information, experiences, and above all...a quiet place to rest my furry feet at the end of the day. No place better than in front of Smaug, a most specially greedy, strong and wicked worm! [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's an amazing game!
Mine is never leaving.

#7685 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Fantastic game have fun !

#7686 4 years ago

Can someone make these graphics for the inside of the ramps ?
I have an LE and mine are green, but other versions might have brown

thorin_pinside3_8e6865a6-4876-41f9-b3e4-bdf343de74dc_large (resized).jpgthorin_pinside3_8e6865a6-4876-41f9-b3e4-bdf343de74dc_large (resized).jpg
#7687 4 years ago

My Black arrow is the same colour as that.

#7688 4 years ago

Beyond pissed. Game of my life and the machine takes several shits.
1.) Radagast switch decides to get flaky right as I kill Smaug. All balls drain except the one of course.
2.) One of the beast mechs stopped working
3.) Second time through Barrel Escape all but my last ball drains and the damn flippers act like I killed Smaug .... they went dead. Ball drains and my ultimate game ends. Luckily I just passed my GM score. But what bullshit that is.
4.) Ball save activated and then just disappeared and killed the save.
Played Taba and completed 26 out of 32
Killed Smaug 3 times

20191019_165519 (resized).jpg20191019_165519 (resized).jpg
#7689 4 years ago
Quoted from melappels:

Can someone make these graphics for the inside of the ramps ?
I have an LE and mine are green, but other versions might have brown[quoted image]

They are all green. However, the early prototypes were brown for the molding and decals, and switched to green (the right color) in the final prototype and therefore production builds.

#7690 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

1.) Radagast switch decides to get flaky right as I kill Smaug. All balls drain except the one of course.
3.) Second time through Barrel Escape all but my last ball drains and the damn flippers act like I killed Smaug .... they went dead. Ball drains and my ultimate game ends. Luckily I just passed my GM score. But what bullshit that is.
Killed Smaug 3 times[quoted image]

You must have just wore it out

#7691 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Wow, would have loved to see how that score finished without problems. Maybe flaky optos? Great score man.

#7692 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Wow! Just think how much more pissed you’d be if you had a POTC with no updates for 6 months, and the difficulty presets weren’t even programmed into the game

#7693 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I've had it happen on WOZ too.

After an hour of continuous play the game gets tired? Over heated? Confused? Either way it starts f#cking up big time...

After the game ends and it sits for 5 mins, everything seems ok. Hard to track down any faults.

Pinballgoddess has had some really epic games (90 mins) and has noted verbally (loudly and creatively) this behavior with colorful language.

I'm thinking of adding lotr flipper fans.

#7694 4 years ago

Falling short of beating BOTFA I've seen and done everything on this game multiple times. I've become no stranger to hardware failures on this game (this time around was more bad timing than anything) but this wonkiness of ball save randomly disappearing and the flippers going dead is making me consider dumping it. Apparently JJP has decided that the code is "finished" so no more updates. I tested my flippers and they do work, I just cannot imagine going into another marathon hour and 45 minute game and having this shit happen again. I'm going to report this to JJP, and I suspect I won't hear anything back. But this behavior just might warrant a code update and maybe, just maybe a few other bugs and recommended code changes I've reported/recommended might get implemented.

#7695 4 years ago

Has any one put in the Pinwoofer sound system in their Hobbit yet? Heard good things about putting the system in POTC.

#7696 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Falling short of beating BOTFA I've seen and done everything on this game multiple times. I've become no stranger to hardware failures on this game (this time around was more bad timing than anything) but this wonkiness of ball save randomly disappearing and the flippers going dead is making me consider dumping it. Apparently JJP has decided that the code is "finished" so no more updates. I tested my flippers and they do work, I just cannot imagine going into another marathon hour and 45 minute game and having this shit happen again. I'm going to report this to JJP, and I suspect I won't hear anything back. But this behavior just might warrant a code update and maybe, just maybe a few other bugs and recommended code changes I've reported/recommended might get implemented.

I'm trying to get my head around a continuous play of almost two hours of Pinball. Wow

#7697 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

These issues remind very much of the LOTR issues a ways back.
Getting to Valinor is also a 2hr marathon.

Hence the cooling fans that a lot of guys added.

Heat changes things and not for the better.

The cab is pretty well ventilated.

It just might need active air exchanges at some point, in the PC case, as well as the cabinet.

And discrete cooling here and there.

#7698 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm trying to get my head around a continuous plan of almost two hours of Pinball. Wow

No kidding. I put up a 4.2mil game a while back that took me 45 minutes and I was exhausted both mentally and physically, lol. I can't even imagine going an hour +....crazy!

#7699 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Has any one put in the Pinwoofer sound system in their Hobbit yet? Heard good things about putting the system in POTC.

Yep, I put the subwoofer package in mine. It sounds awesome, especially when Smaug taunts you.

#7700 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm trying to get my head around a continuous play of almost two hours of Pinball. Wow

Sometimes things just align. The game gives you an opportunity for an extra ball or the pop bumpers pop 15 times and the ball exits through the gate to the upper right flipper and a dwarf target turns blue and if hit it gives you the chance for an extra ball as well. I suppose one can simply say the longer you play the more opportunities one has at getting an extra ball

These issues remind very much of the LOTR issues a ways back.
Getting to Valinor is also a 2hr marathon.
Hence the cooling fans that a lot of guys added.
Heat changes things and not for the better.
The cab is pretty well ventilated.
It just might need active air exchanges at some point, in the PC case, as well as the cabinet.
And discrete cooling here and there.

I also have a LOTR. Have owned for 5 years now set on 3 ball. Never made Valinor... not once. The coils do get tired no doubt! I should stop being a lazy shit and get fans on em. Longest game just shy of 1.75 hours on that one. Weak coils and sweaty hands from nerves and I choked. Lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Hardware
Pinball Haven

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/154 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.