IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 152 of 260.
#7551 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Also, there are protectors on the L O C K rollovers - you can remove them and it should fix that issue

Where are the protectors. Do they just pop off? Snap off? Twist? Sorry. My first jjp game. I must say... being a current owner of games like ghostbusters. Totan. Indiana Jones Williams, I have myself second guessing my collection and wondering why I don’t have more jjp games. Simply awesome.

#7552 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

Thanks LTG! I’ll fix tomorrow What about the green lock buttons? The ramp jumps hard when it hits them as well.

Peel off the mylar disks on top of the roll overs.

Beast mechs easily adjusted.

#7553 4 years ago

welcome here JJP's are greats, hard to return to dot's :/

#7554 4 years ago

Has anyone had problems with the pop ups, well, not popping up? I've had to do some service to the warg pop up over the last few months, and I thought I'd fixed this problem when I replaced a bad up/down sw. All the parts seem to be working independently, but in game, the damn dog tries and fails to pop up!

#7555 4 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

Has anyone had problems with the pop ups, well, not popping up? I've had to do some service to the warg pop up over the last few months, and I thought I'd fixed this problem when I replaced a bad up/down sw. All the parts seem to be working independently, but in game, the damn dog tries and fails to pop up!

slighly unscrew the warp assy, to see how it works with more space, if it's better, find the good location of the assy and refix it

#7556 4 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

Are you saying the mech doesnt come up at all or it does pop up but then goes back down? If it's the latter, one of the leaf connections is registering as a hit and the machine assumes it's legit. Adjust the switch. Also, new doesn't necessarily mean good. Everything eventually fails. Since you replaced the switch it's possible the solder connection broke. If the wires are still attached use a multi meter and test that switch.

#7557 4 years ago
Quoted from Thot:

slighly unscrew the warp assy, to see how it works with more space, if it's better, find the good location of the assy and refix it

I'm not sure I understand what the warp assy is, I'm also not in front of the game at the moment. I will be taking a look at it this afternoon on location, hopefully I will see the adjustment you're talking about, if not hopefully it's listed in the manual!!

Quoted from CLEllison:

Are you saying t mech doesnt come up at all or it does pop up but then goes back down? If it's the latter, one of the leaf connections is registering as a hit and the machine assumes it's legit. Adjust the switch. Also, new doesn't necessarily mean good. Everything eventually fails. Since you replaced the switch it's possible the solder connection broke. If the wires are still attached use a multi meter and test that switch.

It tries and fails, usually popping up about a quarter or half inch, after a few tries it stops.

Thanks to both of you for your reply!

#7558 4 years ago

Any suggestions on a Smaug head movement issue. Head is not turning from side to side. In test mode, both optos are unlit. If head is turned manually, each opto lights up when the head reaches the the appropriate location. Mouth is moving properly and eyes are lit, but motor doesn't seem to be engaging for movement. All connections to the motor seem tight, is the motor just shot?

#7559 4 years ago
Quoted from Scrimmbo:

I'm not sure I understand what the warp assy is, I'm also not in front of the game at the moment. I will be taking a look at it this afternoon on location, hopefully I will see the adjustment you're talking about, if not hopefully it's listed in the manual!!

It tries and fails, usually popping up about a quarter or half inch, after a few tries it stops.
Thanks to both of you for your reply!

Oh sorry read warg not warp, warg assy is the entire pop mechanism of the warg. With hand it must be easy to move up and down, compare with another working beast pop assy

#7560 4 years ago
Quoted from mrf_pa:

is the motor just shot?

Please go to Tests - Devices , and see if you have power to the motor. If so then bad motor, if not, start the other way to it's driver board.

LTG : )

#7561 4 years ago
Quoted from Thot:

Oh sorry read warg not warp, warg assy is the entire pop mechanism of the warg. With hand it must be easy to move up and down, compare with another working beast pop assy

Haha, after thinking about it I figured that's what you meant. I ended up taking apart the whole assy, still not exactly sure what was causing it to bind. I did use a little dry film lube on the back of the plate where the black metal warg target housing slides. It seems to be working good now. Thanks again!

#7562 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

Where are the protectors. Do they just pop off? Snap off? Twist? Sorry. My first jjp game. I must say... being a current owner of games like ghostbusters. Totan. Indiana Jones Williams, I have myself second guessing my collection and wondering why I don’t have more jjp games. Simply awesome.

JJP pins are quite impressive to play! Also, the disks can be removed by getting a fingernail under them and pulling them off. Then clean the remaining stickiness that is left are removing the mylar. The rollovers will be much smoother to roll over, be brighter, and prevent a lot of air balls.

#7563 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

JJP pins are quite impressive to play! Also, the disks can be removed by getting a fingernail under them and pulling them off. Then clean the remaining stickiness that is left are removing the mylar. The rollovers will be much smoother to roll over, be brighter, and prevent a lot of air balls.

That’s worked perfectly. Game is playing amazing tonight! Got to first wizard mode into the fire and got to stage 2 890,000 points or so. I’m new to this game so every time I play its something new. Only issue currently is the back middle captive ball switch doesn’t register very easily. So I assume it’s probably just a switch adjustment.

What a blast however! Amazing game.

#7564 4 years ago

Gawd am I king of the chokers. Killed Smaug twice, played all 3 mini wizard modes. Got farthest I've ever been in battle of the five armies. Choke. Freaking cool ass how it winds down. Got to Barrel Escape 2nd time. Finally finished all 31 modes. White flashing gotta hit one of the two holes and I'd start TABA .... choke. SON OF A B.....
Still not a bad score but fOR A FREAKING hour and 45 minute game playing 3 ball but you'd think it'd be a hell of a lot higher.

20190910_204154 (resized).jpg20190910_204154 (resized).jpg
#7565 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Gawd am I king of the chokers. Killed Smaug twice, played all 3 mini wizard modes. Got farthest I've ever been in battle of the five armies. Choke. Freaking cool ass how it winds down. Got to Barrel Escape 2nd time. Finally finished all 31 modes. White flashing gotta hit one of the two holes and I'd start TABA .... choke. SON OF A B.....
Still not a bad score but fOR A FREAKING hour and 45 minute game playing 3 ball but you'd think it'd be a hell of a lot higher.[quoted image]

Your post is giving me motivation to try and get to TABA...great game man.

#7566 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Your post is giving me motivation to try and get to TABA...great game man.

I'm now more motivated to get to BOTFA for the 1st time!

#7567 4 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

I'm now more motivated to get to BOTFA for the 1st time!

No problem you got it

#7568 4 years ago

Wow that’s a great score none the less!

Quoted from CLEllison:

Still not a bad score but fOR A FREAKING hour and 45 minute game playing 3 ball but you'd think it'd be a hell of a lot higher.[quoted image]

#7569 4 years ago

Hi all, hoping for some advice.
My spider mech has been sticking up and not dropping. I knw from reading this whoile thread that LGT advises finding where the mech is binding and bending a little.
The problem is i can't see anywhere it's binding. I can feel it binding at the top 10% of the stroke but can't see anything where it's touching around the mech at all.
The only places i can see where it could be binding is the two shafts, one for the coil that goes through a sleeve and one on the mecch that goes through a little plastic split collett.

I undid the mech from the coil and they both moved smoothly with no binding seperate but now i have screwed them back together the stiff ness is worse, stronger sticking qand on 20% of the stroke maybe.

Hoping someone can tell me where to look next?

Also is there a way to reroute the green/white wires? I've already fixed it once and it's a bit flattened again.

hob1 (resized).jpghob1 (resized).jpghob2 (resized).jpghob2 (resized).jpg
#7570 4 years ago

Figured it out, it was the front plate connected to the coil section that the toy section is bolted to. The whole mech was binding when it was together but not apart so i just had to figure which way the plate had to bend then do some experimenting to get it right. Did loose one of the stainless spring clips up into the drop targets somewhere and will have to find one of those somewhere.

#7571 4 years ago

A new issue recently, the skill shot will randomly reset when the ball kicks from the trough into the shooter lane. Checked switches to see if there were any issues, all showed working normal. Thoughts? The next ball will sometimes have the skill shot available but seems to be lessand less as I test / play.

Thanks,

#7572 4 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

the skill shot will randomly reset when the ball kicks from the trough into the shooter lane. Checked switches to see if there were any issues,

I'd try going into Tests - Switches - Matrixed, then bang on the playfield. See if vibration sets any off. If so adjust as needed.

#7573 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd try going into Tests - Switches - Matrixed, then bang on the playfield. See if vibration sets any off. If so adjust as needed.

Will do....Thank you!

#7574 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

LTG, Smaug left limit is triggered when banging on the play-field, nothing else....Would this be the issue?

#7575 4 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

Would this be the issue?

Could be.

#7576 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Could be.

What adjustments are available? Does that include removing Smaug?

#7577 4 years ago
Quoted from Energyspike:

What adjustments are available? Does that include removing Smaug?

If so, it would be an issue with his optos. Nothing you could adjust. Check wires, solder joints, flaky opto ?

#7578 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If so, it would be an issue with his optos. Nothing you could adjust. Check wires, solder joints, flaky opto ?

Thanks again, appreciate the support!

#7579 4 years ago

Holy cow that was AWESOME. Finally belong to the club! Take note 15 shots of 32. 32? I thought there was 31 modes?
And for the life of me I cannot beat BOTFA. BB still has high score lol
20190917_192204 (resized).jpg20190917_192204 (resized).jpg

#7580 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Holy cow that was AWESOME. Finally belong to the club! Take note 15 shots of 32. 32? I thought there was 31 modes?
And for the life of me I cannot beat BOTFA. BB still has high score lol
[quoted image]

Nice! How long were you at it?

#7581 4 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Nice! How long were you at it?

Thanks! I'm guessing around an hour 30ish? I play 3 ball and drained the first two fairly quick. Oddly enough I told myself it only takes one ball. I ended up getting 3 extra balls along the way. Killed Smaug twice, played through all 3 mini wizard modes twice.

#7582 4 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Hi all, hoping for some advice.
My spider mech has been sticking up and not dropping. I knw from reading this whoile thread that LGT advises finding where the mech is binding and bending a little.
The problem is i can't see anywhere it's binding. I can feel it binding at the top 10% of the stroke but can't see anything where it's touching around the mech at all.
The only places i can see where it could be binding is the two shafts, one for the coil that goes through a sleeve and one on the mecch that goes through a little plastic split collett.
I undid the mech from the coil and they both moved smoothly with no binding seperate but now i have screwed them back together the stiff ness is worse, stronger sticking qand on 20% of the stroke maybe.
Hoping someone can tell me where to look next?
Also is there a way to reroute the green/white wires? I've already fixed it once and it's a bit flattened again.[quoted image][quoted image]

Issue is two plastics touch eatch other and block here : just remove the white beast light reflector in front of them et remove some plastic
received_311232306261863 (resized).jpegreceived_311232306261863 (resized).jpeg

#7583 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Thanks! I'm guessing around an hour 30ish? I play 3 ball and drained the first two fairly quick. Oddly enough I told myself it only takes one ball. I ended up getting 3 extra balls along the way. Killed Smaug twice, played through all 3 mini wizard modes twice.

That's pretty cool man. I have not even got close to that. Getting through Into the Fire is a good game for me haha. I had seen someone post about playing for over an hour. Man that would probably leave me done for the night on a game like this with constant intense multiball activity and crazy light shows.

#7584 4 years ago
Quoted from Thot:

Issue is two plastics touch eatch other and block here : just remove the white beast light reflector in front of them et remove some plastic
[quoted image]

If you mean the binding it wasn't that. I had to unbolt the spider mech from the coil mech and bend the plate where they bolt together one way so the assembly was truer when bolted back together and ran straight. Hard to explain but easy to see when i finally figured it out.

#7585 4 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

That's pretty cool man. I have not even got close to that. Getting through Into the Fire is a good game for me haha. I had seen someone post about playing for over an hour. Man that would probably leave me done for the night on a game like this with constant intense multiball activity and crazy light shows.

What helped me is I pretended the machine was telling me I had a small wee wee and I refused to allow such treacherous statements as such. I had to prove it wrong. In fact when I entered my initials Gandalf congratulated the keeper of the brass balls. LOL. (OK that parts not true)

I don't think there's any real "proven secret sauce" to this game but here's what I tend to do (in no particular order).
1.) If the Warg or Spider pops up flashing blue take the shot. Otherwise you may play hell waiting to get WARG and/or Spider down the road.
2.) Avoid actual Smaug locking when possible and shoot the loops when flashing green to obtain the add a ball at max of 3 when possible See #3).
3.) REMEMBER during Smaug MB that a mode will start by shooting the right ramp and being in MB mode increases your chances of qualifying. So Smaug MB is SUPER serious stuff - but not to worry about killing Smaug, but by focusing your efforts you can achieve completion of Feast Frenzy, Smaug MB, Erebor and a mode leaving only Beast frenzy left to qualify to get to your mini wizard mode.
4.) Practice and master hitting right VUK with right flipper and left VUK with Left flipper. WAY easier than trying to shoot opposite corners with opposite flippers. You can do this by stalled ball (easiest) or by holding up the appropriate flipper which will make the ball jump up and you can backhand in.
5.) Mini Wizard modes - just survive if your goal is to reach TABA. Otherwise play like hell to complete it!

Hope this helps!

#7586 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

What helped me is I pretended the machine was telling me I had a small wee wee and I refused to allow such treacherous statements as such. I had to prove it wrong. In fact when I entered my initials Gandalf congratulated the keeper of the brass balls. LOL. (OK that parts not true)
I don't think there's any real "proven secret sauce" to this game but here's what I tend to do (in no particular order).
1.) If the Warg or Spider pops up flashing blue take the shot. Otherwise you may play hell waiting to get WARG and/or Spider down the road.
2.) Avoid actual Smaug locking when possible and shoot the loops when flashing green to obtain the add a ball at max of 3 when possible See #3).
3.) REMEMBER during Smaug MB that a mode will start by shooting the right ramp and being in MB mode increases your chances of qualifying. So Smaug MB is SUPER serious stuff - but not to worry about killing Smaug, but by focusing your efforts you can achieve completion of Feast Frenzy, Smaug MB, Erebor and a mode leaving only Beast frenzy left to qualify to get to your mini wizard mode.
4.) Practice and master hitting right VUK with right flipper and left VUK with Left flipper. WAY easier than trying to shoot opposite corners with opposite flippers. You can do this by stalled ball (easiest) or by holding up the appropriate flipper which will make the ball jump up and you can backhand in.
5.) Mini Wizard modes - just survive if your goal is to reach TABA. Otherwise play like hell to complete it!
Hope this helps!

Great post. Any other tips?

#7587 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Great post. Any other tips?

Actually I do have a few more. There's 2 modes that I very much dislike. I "think" it's called Radagast or catch Radagast? I stall the ball to let it timeout. I swear that mode is designed to drain you based upon the beast mechs being up and if you hit the loop from the left the ball tends to have a habit (or should I be witty and say hobbit?) Of running a greater risk of a right side drain from bouncing off the Warg mech. The other mode I dislike is moon runes. I stall the ball because a lighter flip towards the ramp and if the diverter gate comes down you run the risk of a SDTM scenario happening.
And probably the one most important piece of advise I can give is once you get an Akenstone "ramp mode" qualifier done forget about completing any other ramp modes you may start. You run the risk of draining. Turn your efforts to obtaining the other Arkenstones. Once again, I cannot stress enough that Smaug MB is the greatest tool to use to get/advance to the next mini wizard mode and ultimately TABA.

#7588 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Actually I do have a few more. There's 2 modes that I very much dislike. I "think" it's called Radagast or catch Radagast? I stall the ball to let it timeout. I swear that mode is designed to drain you based upon the beast mechs being up and if you hit the loop from the left the ball tends to have a habit (or should I be witty and say hobbit?) Of running a greater risk of a right side drain from bouncing off the Warg mech. The other mode I dislike is moon runes. I stall the ball because a lighter flip towards the ramp and if the diverter gate comes down you run the risk of a SDTM scenario happening.
And probably the one most important piece of advise I can give is once you get an Akenstone "ramp mode" qualifier done forget about completing any other ramp modes you may start. You run the risk of draining. Turn your efforts to obtaining the other Arkenstones. Once again, I cannot stress enough that Smaug MB is the greatest tool to use to get/advance to the next mini wizard mode and ultimately TABA.

Oh man I LOVE Moon Runes! That might be my favorite mode, since it actually uses the ramp diverter which is unused for almost the entirety of the game! Everything zooms around so fast, it's great!

#7589 4 years ago

The sound in this game is truly unbelievable. Owning this longer, I'm noticing little things like for example, the mode where you have to hit the left ramp over and over but hitting switches prior increases the bonus - everytime you hit a switch you hear a dedicated sound that let's you know it's registering but it plays perfect with the overall sound. It's special to that mode only.

Also I find myself trying to look up at the screen bc I know I'm missing awesome video that goes along with the game. I wish there was a LCD in the pf bc of it like alien. The video on the right side of the screen is already helpful with mode tips so would want that to stay as is.

At 7k this game is a steal for what you get considering what we're seeing elsewhere.

#7590 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The sound in this game is truly unbelievable. Owning this longer, I'm noticing little things like for example, the mode where you have to hit the left ramp over and over but hitting switches prior increases the bonus - everytime you hit a switch you hear a dedicated sound that let's you know it's registering but it plays perfect with the overall sound. It's special to that mode only.
Also I find myself trying to look up at the screen bc I know I'm missing awesome video that goes along with the game. I wish there was a LCD in the pf bc of it like alien. The video on the right side of the screen is already helpful with mode tips so would want that to stay as is.
At 7k this game is a steal for what you get considering what we're seeing elsewhere.

Truth!

Hoping POTC gets a great update like Hobbit did last year

#7591 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Truth!
Hoping POTC gets a great update like Hobbit did last year

I would like a POTC - but man those things are holding value big time.

#7592 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I would like a POTC - but man those things are holding value big time.

Incredibly fun and amazing game. The rules are broader than TH but not as complex, IMO. The mechs are outstanding too.

#7593 4 years ago

two questions -

1) how do you earn the right outlane target to go into that mode where you can press ring button at the right time to ball save?

2) I hear a horn every so often while playing usually coming out of pops to right flipper. Is that a hurry up and if so, is it captive ball? never know what to do but I assume it means something

btw - this is the best lit game (brightness) out there in the modern era.

#7594 4 years ago

Backhand the VUKs...you’ve given me a new mission @clellison. Didn’t know it was possible. I can tell already this will be a major new arrow in my quiver. Can’t wait to get started learning it. Thanks!

#7595 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

two questions -
1) how do you earn the right outlane target to go into that mode where you can press ring button at the right time to ball save?
2) I hear a horn every so often while playing usually coming out of pops to right flipper. Is that a hurry up and if so, is it captive ball? never know what to do but I assume it means something
btw - this is the best lit game (brightness) out there in the modern era.

Mystery award lights the Gollumn ball save.
I believe the horn you hear comes from when the ball exits to the right flipper after achieving 15 pop bumper hits. A dwarf target will be very temporarily lit blue. If you hit it, an opportunity to achieve an extra ball is created.

#7596 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Mystery award lights the Gollumn ball save.
I believe the horn you hear comes from when the ball exits to the right flipper after achieving 15 pop bumper hits. A dwarf target will be very temporarily lit blue. If you hit it, an opportunity to achieve an extra ball is created.

Awesome thanks.

Remind be how do you light that mystery? Center captive ball?

#7597 4 years ago

Ok after about a half hour of practice I am at about 60% backhanding the right hole from bottom flipper. Already more reliable than I ever was shooting it from the left. I am doing it cradled. Not having much success hitting it on the move. Can’t wait to integrate it into my game. This is so cool! Thanks.

#7598 4 years ago

My right hole is just about impossible to backhand. It's either way too early or clunks out. I think the Titan post sleeves are just a touch bigger in diameter than the stock ones were making it a much harder shot.

#7599 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Awesome thanks.
Remind be how do you light that mystery? Center captive ball?

The ball mist travel through one left in lane and one right in lane. Keep in mind mystery offers several awards not just the precious save.

Quoted from Reaper802:

My right hole is just about impossible to backhand. It's either way too early or clunks out. I think the Titan post sleeves are just a touch bigger in diameter than the stock ones were making it a much harder shot.

Might be? I'm using factory. To be very clear you cannot 'dead cradle" a shot to the VUK. The ball needs to barely clear the post when you flip. I typically hit it more often than not so if your posts are larger you just made your game that much harder lol.

#7600 4 years ago

Does “dead cradle” mean flipper engaged and ball at rest? Because that’s what I’m doing, and hitting it pretty reliably. Oh, and I’m using titans.

Edit: Another thing I’m liking about this shot is when I miss late it often ends up in the barrels, which is another shot I struggle with from the left flipper.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 152 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/152?hl=slrage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.