IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 260.
#7301 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

that's a pretty great idea! Are you working to sell these, or would you be ok with sharing the .STL?
I'd suggest a very small gentle slope on either side of the door which could be painted green. It will give it more of an impression of it being in a hill, and look less like a clock as you pointed out. Not exactly accurate to the film or book, but given the space to work with, i think it's a good compromise.
There's a lot of detail in the back of the playfield there that can get lost; this will definitely look perfect there, as a literal 'doorway'.

I've gotta see if the final version can be a potential viable product. If it takes two+ hours to post process and paint, it will probably cost too much (I just don't have that kind of time to dedicate). Hopefully I'll figure out a good process to make them at a reasonable end user price. The surrounding models look so good on Hobbit, I have to make sure whatever I make looks as if it came from the factory. Stern Pro pins are easier to make mods for since there are hardly any other models on the playfield to integrate with

I will for sure though get an .STL version out there for all to print free on Thingiverse! I did this for my last mod for GoT Pro (link below) and it worked out good. You can print a sweet version for free, or buy the more complex lighted version. I am going to try to stick with this same concept for Hobbit:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3601649

#7302 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Why not make it larger and turn it into a topper.

I'm going to need a bigger printer :O

jaws (resized).jpgjaws (resized).jpg
#7303 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

... but given the space to work with, i think it's a good compromise.
There's a lot of detail in the back of the playfield there that can get lost; this will definitely look perfect there, as a literal 'doorway'.

I'm with you on that! After measuring, I decided that the final model can be no taller than 65mm or it will start to obstruct the visuals in the pops. The pic below is an eye level view. I'm going to try to stay within that footprint. Probably have a little bit of play on the left and right to add inset hill details.

Baf End Eye Level (resized).jpgBaf End Eye Level (resized).jpg
#7304 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

I'm with you on that! After measuring, I decided that the final model can be no taller than 65mm or it will start to obstruct the visuals in the pops. The pic below is an eye level view. I'm going to try to stay within that footprint. Probably have a little bit of play on the left and right to add inset hill details.[quoted image]

Maybe design it and sell it raw and let the new owners paint it and add lights. And get the Radagast cliffy fixed!

#7305 4 years ago

I'm with you on that! After measuring, I decided that the final model can be no taller than 65mm or it will start to obstruct the visuals in the pops. The pic below is an eye level view. I'm going to try to stay within that footprint. Probably have a little bit of play on the left and right to add inset hill details.[quoted image]

This is awesome!

#7306 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Maybe design it and sell it raw and let the new owners paint it and add lights. And get the Radagast cliffy fixed!

Man, do you a great eye Yeah, that Cliffy has been bent up a little bit since I owned it. It hasn't made the shot any harder, so I figured don't fix what's not broken!

#7307 4 years ago

Man, do you a great eye Yeah, that Cliffy has been bent up a little bit since I owned it. It hasn't made the shot any harder, so I figured don't fix what's not broken!

I agree - it doesn't appear to block the shot at all - but I wish it would fit more flush with the PF.

NOTE: There is a small strip of double sided tape under it, so make sure you use that. I removed the film, cleaned the PF, and stuck it on as part of the install - but it didn't hold. I was thinking I would order another set of Cliffy's and replace it but I was waiting to see if the design of the piece changed a bit first.

#7308 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I agree - it doesn't appear to block the shot at all - but I wish it would fit more flush with the PF.
NOTE: There is a small strip of double sided tape under it, so make sure you use that. I removed the film, cleaned the PF, and stuck it on as part of the install - but it didn't hold. I was thinking I would order another set of Cliffy's and replace it but I was waiting to see if the design of the piece changed a bit first.

I've owned several Cliffys and to be honest they didn't stick for shit. So, since I' being honest I will also add I do think it was my fault.
Use the alcohol pads and scrub the hell out of the playfield to remove the wax. Paper towel dry and scrub it hard. Do the alcohol again and paper towel it again. Remove tape cover, apply Cliffy ensuring you start with securing the very front edge down FIRST. Why? Great question glad you asked. Hey dummy, that's where the 3m sticky is LOL. Seriously because you want full adhesion on the tape and then bend the back sides to line up with the the post holding it down. If you do it backwards you run the risk of stressing the metal and thus adding stress to the tape from the side. And DONT crank down the posts. This also causes undue stress on the entire protector. DO NOT PLAY YOUR GAME FOR AT LEAST 24 hours. Let her sit and cure. I honestly believe that is what has screwed me every single time up until my Hobbit and new Funhouse play field. Since doing it as I described both machines are perfect. No lifting, they sit flat. I failed on my LOTR and WCS94. They both popped within a week and I don't care what you say, that little bit sticking up has a chance of screwing up a slow roller and ruining your potential high score and then your kids get beaten because your mad. "Will nobody think of the children?!" ~Alfrid Lickspittle

#7309 4 years ago

I just joined the club and the only thing I’m wondering is why no dedicated shot from the upper flipper?

#7310 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I just joined the club and the only thing I’m wonder is why no dedicated shot from the upper flipper?

It has a dedicated shot to kill Smaug if you can get that far in Smaug multiball.

#7311 4 years ago

You can use a bottom flipper also, I normally have one cradled on a bottom flipper ready to fire after loading the windlance. I like having the third flipper, but it isn't a must have flipper.

Quoted from Wildbill327:

It has a dedicated shot to kill Smaug if you can get that far in Smaug multiball.

#7312 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I just joined the club and the only thing I’m wonder is why no dedicated shot from the upper flipper?

There are several shots you can use that flipper for - Killing Smaug is certainly one, but there are also modes which require a quick hit up there. I think it’s funny almost nobody talks about how cool the Windlance set up shots are, where it fires the ball right to that flipper so you can nail the Dwarf targets or kill Smaug.

But you are right, there is no “dedicated” shot from that flipper

#7313 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

You can use a bottom flipper also, I normally have one cradled on a bottom flipper ready to fire after loading the windlance. I like having the third flipper, but it isn't a must have flipper.

Yes, correct you can do it from the lower flippers. It’s a great game I just wish it had a dedicated shot. They could have easily added a pop up post wear you could hit the right spinner, the post pops up then on the way down you have to hit the targets-just like on RBION

#7314 4 years ago

I played this game again at pinburgh.... What a gorgeous game with great sound and modes and integration.

#7315 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I just joined the club and the only thing I’m wondering is why no dedicated shot from the upper flipper?

The flipper serves many purposes.
Killing Smaug
Hitting dwarf targets
Directing ball flow out of the right orbit toward left lanes to potentially get warg or ELF target
Balin shot .. also useful for extra ball
And if you're good enough you can make the left ramp shot.
Collecting Thorin
Adding more thorin awards towards extra ball
Collecting Erobor spinner award
Hitting orc for beast frenzy
Hitting orc for interrogation mode
You can squeeze a Radagast shot in

So what's this about it not having a dedicated purpose? Lol

#7316 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

The flipper serves many purposes.
Killing Smaug
Hitting dwarf targets
Directing ball flow out of the right orbit toward left lanes to potentially get warg or ELF target
Balin shot .. also useful for extra ball
And if you're good enough you can make the left ramp shot.
Collecting Thorin
Adding more thorin awards towards extra ball
Collecting Erobor spinner award
Hitting orc for beast frenzy
Hitting orc for interrogation mode
So what's this about it not having a dedicated purpose? Lol

Maybe I haven't gotten that much into the game but couldn't all those shots be made from the bottom flippers? I'm talking about a shot that couldn't be made from a bottom flipper. Don't get me wrong, I love the game. I just wish it would have had one dedicated shot for that flipper (icing on the cake).

#7317 4 years ago

When you shoot the windlance at full power, where should the ball end up? Mine makes it close to the upper flipper at full power so I'm guessing I need to increase the coil number

#7318 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

When you shoot the windlance at full power, where should the ball end up? Mine makes it close to the upper flipper at full power so I'm guessing I need to increase the coil number

It should go a little past the upper flipper so you have a split second to prepare while it rolls down and you can make a precise shot

#7319 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It should go a little past the upper flipper so you have a split second to prepare while it rolls down and you can make a precise shot

Thank you, adjusted the coil to 24 and it seems to do the trick now

#7320 4 years ago

Maybe they can tweak the code a bit to kill lower flippers when you load the windlance during Smaug multiball, and you can only kill Smaug from upper flipper. To make it fair if you miss the first shot you can get a second try within a given amount of time(hurry up).

#7321 4 years ago

My mini LCD on the playfield is a bit dark, how can I adjust the brightness?

#7322 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Maybe they can tweak the code a bit to kill lower flippers when you load the windlance during Smaug multiball, and you can only kill Smaug from upper flipper. To make it fair if you miss the first shot you can get a second try within a given amount of time(hurry up).

#7323 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Great idea

#7324 4 years ago

I’m not into the movies at all but do find this pin intriguing. I’ve played it a few times and I’m now on the fence about owning one.

I’ve missed a few good deals but one day I just might get lucky and snag one.

#7325 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

I second this it's so hard to get to this point and no matter how I adjust my game I can't get this feeding correctly so it's a bad penalty

#7326 4 years ago

What are your flipper power settings everyone? I'm getting a lot of nasty rejects from the left ramp. Ball gets up it with plenty of pace but seems to hit the corner where the right side sections meet. The only way I've found to get around this is to crank my left flipper to max power. This powers it through the clunk but then I feel that flipper is far too strong for everything else.

#7327 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

What are your flipper power settings everyone? I'm getting a lot of nasty rejects from the left ramp. Ball gets up it with plenty of pace but seems to hit the corner where the right side sections meet. The only way I've found to get around this is to crank my left flipper to max power. This powers it through the clunk but then I feel that flipper is far too strong for everything else.

Adjust the playfield pitch to 7.1 degrees.

Adjust flipper settings so that you can make either ramp from either flipper from a cradled position.

The ball should make the ramp easily but not overly fast.

#7328 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Adjust the playfield pitch to 7.1 degrees.
Adjust flipper settings so that you can make either ramp from either flipper from a cradled position.

I am at 7.1* now.

Right ramp shoots fine with stock flipper power. Left ramp likes to clunk around unless I turn it all the way up. I'm wondering if I need to do something to adjust the ramp.

#7329 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

I am at 7.1* now.
Right ramp shoots fine with stock flipper power. Left ramp likes to clunk around unless I turn it all the way up. I'm wondering if I need to do something to adjust the ramp.

Unlikely.
It has more to do with pitch and flipper adjustments.

I have my flippers at 26l and 27r.
Pitch 7.2 average from 3 measurements.

#7330 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

I like the current setup . It's hard enough to kill Smaug as it is , and a lot of machines won't hit the ball into the right orbit and if you kill the flippers you won't be able to make it up there again for a second shot and even if you make it so they work after a couple seconds that would make it the same setup as it is now

#7331 4 years ago

One thing I hate about pinball is weak flippers .
At first I had a lot of air balls but now the pin has settled in I rarely get them . A lot of people complain about The Hobbit being slow and floaty but mine plays hard and fast , it's just all to do with how your pin is setup .

#7332 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

First ensure you're not dealing with ramp flap curl. For whatever reason it seems to he more predominate on the left than the right. Keep in mind the lock buttons cause air balls which also affects ball speed/trajectory.
Secondly, the ball should have enough speed/power to make the ramp shot but not where it hauls ass. If the flipper power is set too strong, the ball will fly off the hobbit trail on the right and potentially cause magnet catch issues on the left. There truly is a fine balance to set when it comes to flipper power on this game. I should mention I did have to ever so slightly bend the right hobbit trail to allow enough flipper power on the right flipper. The ball would fly off and get stuck on the right hand plastics which requires pulling the glass.

#7333 4 years ago

I've had this game now for 6 months! NIB. Mine has settled in and I think? that I've got the settings right. Did all the mods and Cliffy's. I've gotten a handful of 800-900 games, wife has 980 as the machine high. A normal game is ~100-150. Ours is set to three balls, is that correct? We have to be doing something wrong? I still don't understand all the "modes" and what is most important to do and when. For instance, I'll get to Erebor (no small feat), then will note that I'm back on a trail to Erebor again. We've found our best games are with "Mode Balls" locked, then get MultiBall. A game with 3 MB's will get me up close 700-900. You guys talk about killing Smaug. I've heard the call for "Load the Windlance", which I do via the "red" right ramp. I assume then that triggers some sort of shot to kill Smaug? Haven't figured that out yet either...

Wish there was a "Hobbit for Dummies" book. It's bad enough that I'm not the best pin shooter/aimer, but this theme is VERY hard to get down. If anyone could explain the way to success, my wife and I would be very appreciative.

#7334 4 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

I've had this game now for 6 months! NIB. Mine has settled in and I think? that I've got the settings right. Did all the mods and Cliffy's. I've gotten a handful of 800-900 games, wife has 980 as the machine high. A normal game is ~100-150. Ours is set to three balls, is that correct? We have to be doing something wrong? I still don't understand all the "modes" and what is most important to do and when. For instance, I'll get to Erebor (no small feat), then will note that I'm back on a trail to Erebor again. We've found our best games are with "Mode Balls" locked, then get MultiBall. A game with 3 MB's will get me up close 700-900. You guys talk about killing Smaug. I've heard the call for "Load the Windlance", which I do via the "red" right ramp. I assume then that triggers some sort of shot to kill Smaug? Haven't figured that out yet either...
Wish there was a "Hobbit for Dummies" book. It's bad enough that I'm not the best pin shooter/aimer, but this theme is VERY hard to get down. If anyone could explain the way to success, my wife and I would be very appreciative.

Every time I think about playing this game I play it again and get right back into it...

There are a lot of rules, but it isn’t THAT complicated - the game is fairly linear. If you are playing the “story mode”, you want to start up the 3 wizard modes. You do this by the following:

1) start Smaug multiball
2) collect all the dwarves around the play field (you have to hit the stand ups behind the drop targets)
3) start beast multi ball by hitting all 4 of the beast mechs (I think this has to be done in a single ball but I’m not sure)
4) make it to Erebor by hitting the spinners a whole bunch of times
5) finish a mode at 100%

As you
Progress, it takes more and more shots to get these to start up. I think Smaug multiball is always the same steps (lock 3 balls) .

Once you’ve satisfied those 5 conditions, you start the wizard mode by hitting the right or left holes. After you finish the wizard mode or drain, you start again and need to satisfy those conditions again to start the next wizard mode

#7335 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

4) make it to Erebor by hitting the spinners a whole bunch of times

Oil the spinners.
Make it to erebor in 2 shots! lol.

#7336 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Ok. Whoever is having reset issues, send me a PM. As much details as you can. Multiball, pop bumpers, mode your in, etc. I'm getting the info over to Lloyd as he is relaying it all to the programmer.

Did this issue ever get run to ground. Last night I was in the middle of a multiball fest, Smaug, Beast Frenzy... and BAM lights out. I have an early LE (sackchin) and I am running the latest code.

#7337 4 years ago

Oil the spinners.
Make it to erebor in 2 shots! lol.

Oiling the spinners was the best thing that ever happened to my Hobbit. I love nailing those spinners now and hauling a$$ to Erebor For some reason, I have a problem hitting those orbits

#7338 4 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Did this issue ever get run to ground. Last night I was in the middle of a multiball fest, Smaug, Beast Frenzy... and BAM lights out. I have an early LE (sackchin) and I am running the latest code.

Anybody know if there was a CPU change later in the run ?

#7339 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I like the current setup . It's hard enough to kill Smaug as it is , and a lot of machines won't hit the ball into the right orbit and if you kill the flippers you won't be able to make it up there again for a second shot and even if you make it so they work after a couple seconds that would make it the same setup as it is now

If the ball doesn’t make it to the upper flipper then it just needs to be adjusted in order to play the game the way it was intended. After thinking a bit...when the ball is loaded in the wind lance and the kill shot is ready(Smaug multiball)all flippers could die drain all balls then when the wind lance is fired flipper power can be restored. This way would give you a chance to catch the ball on the lower flipper and shoot Smaug from different ways. This would make killing Smaug a super special shot.

#7340 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

If the ball doesn’t make it to the upper flipper then it just needs to be adjusted in order to play the game the way it was intended. After thinking a bit...when the ball is loaded in the wind lance and the kill shot is ready(Smaug multiball)all flippers could die drain all balls then when the wind lance is fired flipper power can be restored. This way would give you a chance to catch the ball on the lower flipper and shoot Smaug from different ways. This would make killing Smaug a super special shot.

Cool idea! This would make the shot WAY easier though so there’s that

#7341 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

First ensure you're not dealing with ramp flap curl. For whatever reason it seems to he more predominate on the left than the right. Keep in mind the lock buttons cause air balls which also affects ball speed/trajectory.
Secondly, the ball should have enough speed/power to make the ramp shot but not where it hauls ass. If the flipper power is set too strong, the ball will fly off the hobbit trail on the right and potentially cause magnet catch issues on the left. There truly is a fine balance to set when it comes to flipper power on this game. I should mention I did have to ever so slightly bend the right hobbit trail to allow enough flipper power on the right flipper. The ball would fly off and get stuck on the right hand plastics which requires pulling the glass.

Game just had the new ramp flaps installed by JJP. My old ramp had lots of curl and still shot better than this one does. I swear it's something with the geometry of this new ramp.

#7342 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Game just had the new ramp flaps installed by JJP. My old ramp had lots of curl and still shot better than this one does. I swear it's something with the geometry of this new ramp.

Check the ramp anchor screws - and what I mean by that is if you screw those down all the way it introduces ramp curl. Back em off a bit and look at that ramp flap from every angle ya can and ensure you don't see a "curl" type shadow.

#7343 4 years ago

So please explain how to get to the option of killing Smaug.

#7344 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Check the ramp anchor screws - and what I mean by that is if you screw those down all the way it introduces ramp curl. Back em off a bit and look at that ramp flap from every angle ya can and ensure you don't see a "curl" type shadow.

I'll give this a try as I do have those screws holding the ramp down tight.

How much is enough? Should the flap be drawing a straight line from the playfield to the rest of the ramp?

#7345 4 years ago

How to kill Smaug . check out video on Post #7654

#7346 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

How to kill Smaug . check out video on Post #7654

Uh... I don’t think we made it that far yet

#7347 4 years ago

I got inspired by the discussion about Bag End. I feel like this game could have SO much more in terms of mods.

Prototype in progress:

BA9C95C3-9F3A-49CB-9917-9E769386192F (resized).jpegBA9C95C3-9F3A-49CB-9917-9E769386192F (resized).jpegF34260CC-B90F-49DA-9739-38680C461AC2 (resized).jpegF34260CC-B90F-49DA-9739-38680C461AC2 (resized).jpeg
#7348 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Uh... I don’t think we made it that far yet

Whoops # 6754

#7350 4 years ago

OK so now I've backed the ramp screws out to the point that they are not really applying any downward force on the ramp at all. Just in enough to be flush with the holes in the ramp. Backed flipper power down to stock settings and got a few test games in. This seems to be better but I'll need a few more games of testing to know for sure.

20190808_182237 (resized).jpg20190808_182237 (resized).jpg20190808_182245 (resized).jpg20190808_182245 (resized).jpg20190808_182257 (resized).jpg20190808_182257 (resized).jpg20190808_182310 (resized).jpg20190808_182310 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 25.50
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 147 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/147?hl=reaper802 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.