IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 140 of 260.
#6951 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Reconnect the magnet.
It does get hot.
Let it cool by turning off the game.
Turn the game back on.
Let it set in attract mode for 30 mins.
Check if magnet is hot.
If it's cool enough or not hot, play the game.
It's probably ok.

I did reconnect the magnet and it starts getting warm immediately. Even if the magnet is not triggered in gameplay. The first few locks it grabs the ball immediately. But after it gets warmer and warmer it gets ‘slower’ and doesn’t catches the ball anymore.

This Smaug magnet gets really really hot! Like burn your fingers hot! The other magnets in the back don’t even get warm.

Is this really normal? Should I replace the magnet?

#6952 4 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

I did reconnect the magnet and it starts getting warm immediately. Even if the magnet is not triggered in gameplay. The first few locks it grabs the ball immediately. But after it gets warmer and warmer it gets ‘slower’ and doesn’t catches the ball anymore.
This Smaug magnet gets really really hot! Like burn your fingers hot! The other magnets in the back don’t even get warm.
Is this really normal? Should I replace the magnet?

Contact JJP about this. It could be a board or switch issue.

#6953 4 years ago

Stumbled on this in a Wonka thread, not sure if been posted before so apologies if it has but a real insight into the making of the audio. Just installed a sub into, well, under the game and now, like Spinal Tap, it's at 11..

#6954 4 years ago

Apologies up front as I know these questions have been addressed but just not finding them....
1. Was the volume control on the coin door ever made functional with code updates? If so is there something needed to make it work?
2. I know I read in this post on how to set settings so you don’t get different multi-balls to go off simultaneously.

#6955 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Apologies up front as I know these questions have been addressed but just not finding them....
1. Was the volume control on the coin door ever made functional with code updates? If so is there something needed to make it work?
2. I know I read in this post on how to set settings so you don’t get different multi-balls to go off simultaneously.

Coin door volume is for headphones only.

The pinnovators external volume control is amazing, it's for the speakers. I have them on all my games.

10 or 15 min install.

Yes there is a setting in the service menu to not allow beast frenzy and smaug multiball to mix

#6956 4 years ago

Coin door volume is for headphones only.

Let me elaborate, when I plug headphones in the sound still comes out of the speakers and I basically have to turn the volume all the way up on the front panel to hear through the headphones we’ll enough.

Yes there is a setting in the service menu to not allow beast frenzy and smaug multiball to mix

Would you advise as to what the specific setting is. Just not finding it.

Thanks!!!

#6957 4 years ago

The pinnovators external volume control is amazing, it's for the speakers. I have them on all my games.
10 or 15 min install.

I still think these machines should come with a remote control for on , off , volume up and down

#6958 4 years ago

On Hobbit the insertion of headphones does not cut off the game volume. In this way Hobbit and WOZ differ from DI and potc.

#6959 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

On Hobbit the insertion of headphones does not cut off the game volume. In this way Hobbit and WOZ differ from DI and potc.

Different wiring, different mechanisms

#6960 4 years ago

I adjusted rollovers quite a bit.
There is tons of adjustment room built in.
I dont think its altogether necessary to replace them, unless you just want to.
And, if you replace them, it will still take a bit of time to adjust them.
Patience is the key...lol
It took forever to get them just right (a couple hours lol)
Now they are perfect.

I'm having the same issue with the playfield lock rollovers after taking off the playfield protector that I paid to have installed by JJP at the factory. I even hired a professional technician that I use for all of my games (when I can't fix something myself) and he showed me that they can only be adjusted so low by adjusting the leaf switches. You literally can't push them down past a certain point because they hit the mount under the playfield... and they are still too high causing airballs and difficulty hitting certain shots. Does anyone know if they installed different rollovers on the machines that came with the playfield protectors? This is driving me nuts.

LTG Any ideas at all? You seem to know a lot about this machine as I look through this forum.

btw... my Smaug magnet isn't catching like it used too (after a software update) either. This used to be my favorite game to play. It's becoming an expensive night light.

#6961 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

ltg Any ideas at all?

Your tech was right.

I'd look into loosening the screws that hold it in place and lower the whole thing a little. Spacers or something.

LTG : )

#6962 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Your tech was right.
I'd look into loosening the screws that hold it in place and lower the whole thing a little. Spacers or something.

That's what he was saying, using spacers for the entire mount underneath. I just wonder how is this not happening to every single Hobbit game and not more of a widespread complaint? They definitely generate airballs and cause for quite a disruption to the path of the ball.

#6963 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

That's what he was saying, using spacers for the entire mount underneath. I just wonder how is this not happening to every single Hobbit game and not more of a widespread complaint? They definitely generate airballs and cause for quite a disruption to the path of the ball.

My friend I totally agree with you. It was a crap design that I very much dislike myself.

#6964 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Let me elaborate, when I plug headphones in the sound still comes out of the speakers and I basically have to turn the volume all the way up on the front panel to hear through the headphones we’ll enough.

Would you advise as to what the specific setting is. Just not finding it.
Thanks!!!

With headphones :

Push the mute button.

The lowest button on the coin door.

It mutes the speakers but allows headphones still.

Otherwise you get sound from both the speakers and the headphones until you do.

Then you can adjust volume in the headphones via the buttons on the coun door.

#6965 4 years ago

There are either none, one or two small washers inside the lock rollover buttons. These were used to help correct the height difference caused by installing a Playfield Protector. If you removed the protector, open up the button and remove one or both washers to bring the height down.

#6966 4 years ago

There are either none, one or two small washers inside the lock rollover buttons. These were used to help correct the height difference caused by installing a Playfield Protector. If you removed the protector, open up the button and remove one or both washers to bring the height down.

Awesome, I'll check tomorrow night

#6967 4 years ago

Have a nib Hobbit with 3.10 update that plays great until you kill smaug. All the balls drain but does not kick a ball into the shooter lane for the victory lab. After restarting the game plays great again.

#6968 4 years ago
Quoted from Botfly:

All the balls drain but does not kick a ball into the shooter lane for the victory lab. After restarting the game plays great again.

I'd check the plunger that kicks the ball up out of the ball trough, if it's sticking a tiny bit up it may catch the ball and they don't roll into position. The plunger/coil are mounted to a bracket that is on a bracket at the end of the ball trough. Four screws hold it on in elongated holes. You can loosen them and move it up or down a tiny bit as needed. Don't go too far in either direction.

#6969 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd check the plunger that kicks the ball up out of the ball trough

I will take a look at it when I get home.Thank you.

#6970 4 years ago

Well, this gives me some hope... I'll check it out when I have a chance. Thanks for the info.

#6971 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Awesome, I'll check tomorrow night

I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to take a look at this. Can you please let me know if you end up finding this to be true? And if so, any pointers. Thanks!

#6972 4 years ago

Still having an occasional issue with the game needing to try multiple times to kick the ball into the shooter lane. It’s clearly hitting the apron. Do I need to bend the apron lip a bit or something else?

#6973 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Do I need to bend the apron lip a bit or something else?

Don't bend the apron.

This will help if power settings weaker or stronger don't help.

http://www.pinplay.com/5/adjusting_the_ball_trough_on_woz.html

#6974 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to take a look at this. Can you please let me know if you end up finding this to be true? And if so, any pointers. Thanks!

Ok. So I removed the 'L'ock roll over button. There is an led board above it you will need to remove first (2 screws). Then you will be able to remove the 3 screws (triangle pattern) holding the rollover to the playfield. NOTE: The LED board only covers one of the rollover screws - you can access the other 2 rollover screws cleanly.

Anyway, as you can see it is a leaf switch. There are no washers IN the rollover button/target- and no apparent way to adjust the height. It just rests on the switch. The only way I know to 'lower' it would be to put washers between the rollover and the playfield so that you get some separation that would effectively lower it. However, there is a good mess of wires that you would need to 'clear' to get access to all the rollovers. I am just going to put it back for now - maybe I will address it more later.

Hope this helps.
9F128B90-68AE-4585-A9F4-25C8BACE6CE2 (resized).jpeg9F128B90-68AE-4585-A9F4-25C8BACE6CE2 (resized).jpegA094E884-2D6A-4AC8-ADB4-9D05AAC6FE48 (resized).jpegA094E884-2D6A-4AC8-ADB4-9D05AAC6FE48 (resized).jpegD587740C-5D62-4099-830E-3F21C636EF80 (resized).jpegD587740C-5D62-4099-830E-3F21C636EF80 (resized).jpegD6DD13F5-E483-46B8-9982-24A2F34B86AD (resized).jpegD6DD13F5-E483-46B8-9982-24A2F34B86AD (resized).jpeg

#6975 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd check the plunger that kicks the ball up out of the ball trough

All good now thanks again.

#6976 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Ok. So I removed the 'L'ock roll over button. There is an led board above it you will need to remove first (2 screws). Then you will be able to remove the 3 screws (triangle pattern) holding the rollover to the playfield. NOTE: The LED board only covers one of the rollover screws - you can access the other 2 rollover screws cleanly.
Anyway, as you can see it is a leaf switch. There are no washers IN the rollover button/target- and no apparent way to adjust the height. It just rests on the switch. The only way I know to 'lower' it would be to put washers between the rollover and the playfield so that you get some separation that would effectively lower it. However, there is a good mess of wires that you would need to 'clear' to get access to all the rollovers. I am just going to put it back for now - maybe I will address it more later.
Hope this helps.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I just bent the leaf switch to make it whatever I needed.

#6977 4 years ago

I just bent the leaf switch to make it whatever I needed.

That may be the only option - and it would work. I was just hoping for another way. So it's bending the switch - or putting spacers/washers where it attaches to the PF. Honestly, I think I will go with the washer option - that way it may be uniform across all the rollovers and won't require getting all the leaf switches the same.

Actually - I think what I am going to do is get some plastic washers and slightly longer wood screws (to account for the washers) and try it out. Should work perfectly

#6978 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

That may be the only option - and it would work. I was just hoping for another way. So it's bending the switch - or putting spacers/washers where it attached to the PF. Honestly, I think I will go with the washer option - that way it may be uniform across all the rollovers and won't require getting all the leaf switches the same.
Actually - I think what I am going to do is get some plastic washers and slightly longer wood screws (to account for the washers) and try it out. Should work perfectly

Bending the leaf switches worked for my game, and made a big deference once I got them in the sweet spot.

#6979 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Don't bend the apron.
This will help if power settings weaker or stronger don't help.
http://www.pinplay.com/5/adjusting_the_ball_trough_on_woz.html

Beautiful!! Thank you

#6980 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

That may be the only option - and it would work. I was just hoping for another way. So it's bending the switch - or putting spacers/washers where it attaches to the PF. Honestly, I think I will go with the washer option - that way it may be uniform across all the rollovers and won't require getting all the leaf switches the same.

The switches were not all the same in my case at all and needed individual adjustment.

Just to make them perfect.

Kinda like pop bumpers.

It takes a bit of fiddling, but holds up forever once done.

#6981 4 years ago

The switches were not all the same in my case at all and needed individual adjustment.
Just to make them perfect.
Kinda like pop bumpers.
It takes a bit of fiddling, but holds up forever once done.

In my case, no matter how much the leaf switches were bent, the rollover buttons were ultimately stopped by the mount underneath. This was before they were low enough to avoid creating airballs. I was really hoping the "washer in the rollover" was the silver bullet for this issue.

#6982 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

In my case, no matter how much the leaf switches were bent, the rollover buttons were ultimately stopped by the mount underneath. This was before they were low enough to avoid creating airballs. I was really hoping the "washer in the rollover" was the silver bullet for this issue.

I am going to correct mine without bending the leaf switch as much as I would need to correct. Washers will be my play

#6983 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

You might have the flipper power up a tiny bit too high.

This is a symptom of air balls.

The ball should barely make it around the ramp from either side from a cradled position.

#6984 4 years ago

Joined the club a few days ago with an Hobbit LE. What a fantastic game! Can't stop playing it.

#6985 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am going to correct mine without bending the leaf switch as much as I would need to correct. Washers will be my play

ok, please keep us posted as to how that works out. i think that's the only option i have as well.

#6986 4 years ago

Im wondering if buying a roll of do it yourself automotive paper gasket and then putting it under both button and switch assemblies would be an ideal "fix". IIRC, the default thickness of the gasket paper would be about spot on for dropping the button height.

#6987 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Im wondering if buying a roll of do it yourself automotive paper gasket and then putting it under both button and switch assemblies would be an ideal "fix". IIRC, the default thickness of the gasket paper would be about spot on for dropping the button height.

You may by on to something there - perhaps cork gasket material cut to the size of the rollover button holder and stuck on with glue dots (so it could be easily removed later) would do the trick.

I guess it would be about 5 mm.

1 week later
#6988 4 years ago

Picking up my first Hobbit, Best Topper ?
Must have mods ? Not familiar with latest codes , game was bought new never played or updated

Thanks for any advice

#6989 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Picking up my first Hobbit, Best Topper ?
Must have mods ? Not familiar with latest codes , game was bought new never played or updated
Thanks for any advice

Latest code is 3.1 - https://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/support/

Must have mods: (Really only one "must" item as the clear coat isn't exactly fantastic on JJP games)
Full set of Cliffy protectors - http://www.passionforpinball.com/hobbit.htm

Otherwise:
Throne of Erebor is really cool - https://www.pixelsarcadegames.com/product-page/hobbit-pinball-erebor-throne-mod
Back glass illumination - https://lermods.com/products/the-hobbit-woz-pinball-led-strip-translight-side-lights-kit
Topper - only one really. https://laseriffic.com/products/hobbit-topper

Potential tweaks:
Disable stacked multi ball in settings menu
Bend metal under apron to fix ball kick out issues - discussed a few posts up from this one
Lower flipper coil power in settings menu if balls fly off hobbit trails
Bend right hobbit trail "up at curve if still happening when coil voltage is lowered. (Ball will fly off right hobbit trail and land on the plastic above 3rd flipper getting stuck requiring removal of glass)

#6990 4 years ago

Thanks ! Appreciate the advice etc
I remember my Woz updates I had difficulty downloading them and ended up buying a USB with latest codes on it and it was reasonable

#6991 4 years ago

Having a hard time starting beast frenzy. Every time I hit a beast (orc, warg, spider) the inlane stays lit and says hurry up. Hit a beast, inlane stays lit says hurry up and continues to do that on every inlane. Sometimes the screen will say x defeated but inlane shows a hurry up. I can’t seem to start beast frenzy to get that arkenstone. What am I doing wrong. ( this is a recent issue, don’t know if I changed a rule or ??) Any help appreciated.

#6992 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Any help appreciated.

Tests - Switches - Matrixed, do the character faces register when pushed ? Broken wires can happen.

#6993 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Tests - Switches - Matrixed, do the character faces register when pushed ? Broken wires can happen.

I’ll hand check that Lloyd. Thanks. Every once in a while, I will get BF so didn’t think it was a switch or wire but this make sense.

#6994 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I’ll hand check that Lloyd. Thanks. Every once in a while, I will get BF so didn’t think it was a switch or wire but this make sense.

Might just need adjusting so it's more sensitive.

#6995 4 years ago

Can one of the multi-million scorers comment on how to get the spinner shots down? I hit it periodically, I try to make the shot, but never even come close. I have the road map to success, but find what to do, in what order also very tough. Wish there was a "Hobbit for Dummies" book...

#6996 4 years ago

how to get the spinner shots down?

The only answer is practise. This is exactly like playing pool on a bar table and then going some where else and playing on a full sized table. This machine being a wide body and the spinners are a long ways away from the flippers. The distance/perception really screws with a person. I have the same problem but more so on the left loop than the right. Btw, 7.1 million

#6997 4 years ago

CL: Thanks. Do you shoot right from left flipper and vice, or right from right, left from left? Is there any place to go to see the best way to progress through this? My wife has a million, and neither of us can get much more than 500K regular. What the heck are we doing wrong?

#6998 4 years ago

Back handing either spinner is super tough and not very rewarding meaning the spinners won't get enough spin to do squat other than collect the dwarves getting you closer to feast frenzy which is OK because you do need it. Spinner reward (getting to Erebor) is definently easier using left flip to right loop and vice versa.

Here's what I do. Skill shot ALWAYS roll overs. You need Smaug mb in order to collect the Arkenstone to be able to start the mini wizard modes. Use the book ramp and select an easy mode that you can beat (for instance the ring) to collect the Arkenstone. Use ring to delay 3rd lock, start another mode and start SMaug mb. Then shoot the right ramp (lock) to start Smaug mb. You'll "likely" collect 3 Arkenstones doing this. Smaug, the mode you started and feast frenzy which will start after smaug mb ends. When feast frenzy starts, focus solely on the spinners because you only have to start feast frenzy not finish it to collect the stone. Get to Erebor, collect your stone. Then put your focus on collecting the last stone by starting beast frenzy. At some point you should see your spinner loops light up green. Hit those because they'll add up to 2 balls into your next mode. It's kind of an insurance policy Once you're down to your last ball on beast frenzy, you'll have collected all 5 Arkenstones which allows you to play the mini wizard mode (into the fire being the first). Both holes (Balin/Ratagast) will be flashing orange, hit either one to start the mini wizard mode. Wash rinse and repeat.

Btw, to hit Ratagast using the right flipper.... hold your right flipper up as the ball comes down. It'll cause the ball to leave the flipper and if you time it right flipping your flipper will back hand the ball into Ratagast. Truly one of the most gratifying shots in this game. Also useful for collecting Kili

#6999 4 years ago
8F79C8A0-7F0F-4F0B-AA69-C9BB22CA4D4F (resized).jpeg8F79C8A0-7F0F-4F0B-AA69-C9BB22CA4D4F (resized).jpeg
#7000 4 years ago

CONGRATS! ^^^^^^^^^

Does anyone suspect there will be another software update? I started a support ticket with a few requests.
1.) Audio cleanup of music while bonus is being showed. The snare drum sound is terrible and distorted.
2.) Eliminate the collecting of a reward when a mode is started "via the ramp" that requires use of the windlance. If you try to collect the reward showing on the screen the damn post will drop and your ball will drain or it ends up being the exact amount of power and the ball goes perfectly over to the right outlane. Insert Gollum "noooooooooooooooooooooo" here lol

Any other bugs you guys are seeing?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 140 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/140?hl=gordonshumway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.