20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 139 of 260.
#6901 4 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

But can you explain to me an individual up/down via coil test is working fine but resetting the whole bank isn’t?

That would sound like the game lost track of one of the drop target optos.

LTG : )

#6902 4 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Thanks ltg ! Ill clean the optos and check wire connections.
But can you explain to me an individual up/down via coil test is working fine but resetting the whole bank isn’t?

I had exactly the same with my drop target on my WoZ last week. Turned out I just had to adjust the switch that detects that the drop target is down. In the WoZ that was a normal switch, in the Hobbit it looks like an opto.

In test ok, but when playing exactly the same as in your video.Probably because the test only activates the coils and does not check to see if the switch is hit, so does not try to activate the coil again and again.

#6903 4 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Thanks ltg ! Ill clean the optos and check wire connections.

Vibration elated? Loose wire in a connector? loose connector on a pc-board?

#6904 4 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

I tried this and all switches seem to work reliably. But it still happens almost every time so I checked switch history right after the issue. It appears there’s a problem with my E for Elf drop target this switch is registered multiple time because it’s retrying several times.
Please see the video I’ve made. In the beginning of the video I ‘manually’ control this letter up and down with the coil test. Everything seems normal right?
Right after I start the drop target bank test and this shows the same issue as during gameplay.

I’ve investigated below the Playfield but everything seems fine.
Any ideas on this? Driving me crazy that I’m unable to switch between skill shots reliably!

I had this happen yesterday I found that the switch was always showing that the drop was up. I traced the wires and disconnected and reconnected the harness and fixed the issue GL

#6905 4 years ago
Quoted from pballinhd:

I would say it isn't normal. I'm amazed on fast shots it stops my ball in a split second.

I agree mine catches every ball every time no matter how fast they're going

#6906 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

So what is the verdict? My probably catches 30% of the time. Is that normal or not? Does anyone know if the code expects it to catch every time? If so what would cause it not to catch?

#6907 4 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

So what is the verdict? My probably catches 30% of the time. Is that normal or not? Does anyone know if the code expects it to catch every time? If so what would cause it not to catch?

It's not exactly normal. I did notice more catch failures (1 out of 3) when I had the flipper coils hot. I "think" I set my pf up at a 7.3 degree angle and lessened the coil power to 22 on each? Since the change I might have a catch failure every great great once in a while.
To test my theory pull the glass off and manually press all 4 roll overs and then manually throw a ball down the channel changing speed and see if there's any validity to my theory.

#6908 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

It's not exactly normal. I did notice more catch failures (1 out of 3) when I had the flipper coils hot. I "think" I set my pf up at a 7.3 degree angle and lessened the coil power to 22 on each? Since the change I might have a catch failure every great great once in a while.
To test my theory pull the glass off and manually press all 4 roll overs and then manually throw a ball down the channel changing speed and see if there's any validity to my theory.

I have my pf at 6.7 degrees and all settings (cool power) at stock settings.

For some reason the PinGuy app op my iPhone measures the angle of the of differently on the bottom and top so I measure at the center of the playfield.

Looking forward to your test results! My Smaug catches maybe 30-40% of the time. In coil test the magnet works fine without any issues.

#6909 4 years ago

My lock rollovers are too high above play field and are getting chipped up and causing air balls. I think I will get replacements from JJP and when I place the new ones back in I can adjust height. My question is has any one replaced those? Is it a pain to get to them for removal?

#6910 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

My question is has any one replaced those? Is it a pain to get to them for removal?

Unscrew from the bottom of the playfield.

Have you adjusted the leaf blade switches to lower the part sticking up too high above the playfield ?

#6911 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Have you adjusted the leaf blade switches to lower the part sticking up too high above the playfield ?

Thanks - not yet - I will give it a go.

#6912 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

It seems my problems with Smaug’s magnet are getting worse. Ik think it now only catches about 1 out of 10 times.

I have no idea how to fix this. The magnet works perfectly fine during coils test and the opto on the ramp does so as well. The diverters on the ramp work fine as well which might be an indication that detecting a ball on the ramp works fine as well.

Any ideas?

#6913 4 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

It seems my problems with Smaug’s magnet are getting worse. Ik think it now only catches about 1 out of 10 times.
I have no idea how to fix this. The magnet works perfectly fine during coils test and the opto on the ramp does so as well. The diverters on the ramp work fine as well which might be an indication that detecting a ball on the ramp works fine as well.
Any ideas?

Wish I could help . Mine is fairly new under a year old . I hope it isn't something that happens over time . I don't think it's code related why would they not want it to catch the ball . Someone mentioned optos ? The one at my dealer"s didn't catch any balls , I just thought it must have a loose or broken wire .

#6914 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Wish I could help . Mine is fairly new under a year old .

Mine is coming on 3 years old...catches them very well. However, I would like to know exactly why the others are not so I can correct the issue if it comes up.

#6915 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Is this a simple thing to do?

#6916 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Wish I could help . Mine is fairly new under a year old . I hope it isn't something that happens over time . I don't think it's code related why would they not want it to catch the ball . Someone mentioned optos ? The one at my dealer"s didn't catch any balls , I just thought it must have a loose or broken wire .

There did seem to be a change in how often the balls were caught after one of the recent releases - might have been 2.97 IIRC.

#6917 4 years ago
Quoted from Stags6969:

Is this a simple thing to do?

If you can work a screw driver to replace, or know how to adjust a leaf blade switch, yes.

#6918 4 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Any ideas?

Just thinking out loud here, but could you try other balls ? If problem stays I could come by some time to have a look.

#6919 4 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Just thinking out loud here, but could you try other balls ? If problem stays I could come by some time to have a look.

Pretty sure it's not the balls.

#6920 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There did seem to be a change in how often the balls were caught after one of the recent releases - might have been 2.97 IIRC.

For what it's worth I've done all the updates as they've come out and my machine hasn't skipped a beat , still catches every ball .

#6921 4 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

For what it's worth I've done all the updates as they've come out and my machine hasn't skipped a beat , still catches every ball .

I doubt that it is software update related - but hell I don't know for sure

#6922 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I doubt that it is software update related - but hell I don't know for sure

I’m wondering if the timing for the magnet was changed somehow - or power lowered or something.

#6923 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

My lock rollovers are too high above play field and are getting chipped up and causing air balls. I think I will get replacements from JJP and when I place the new ones back in I can adjust height. My question is has any one replaced those? Is it a pain to get to them for removal?

Welcome to the Club. Myself and two different Pinball friends have Tackled this issue on mine 3 different nights now and still cant get it right. Mine had a PF protector from the factory. Worked great before i decided to remove the PF protector cause i hate them.

Finally tweaked them enough to get all but the C lock working pretty well. Problem is the C lock airballs and makes the rabbit hole shot and pop bumpers shot for modes damn near impossible. So good luck. Hope you dont have as much trouble as i have out of those silly lock rollovers.

Never thought about replacing them completely. As they work fine they just seem like they are impossible to adjust correctly.

#6924 4 years ago

BTW quick question guys. Ive seemed to have lost my tilt bob. Anyone have a suggestion as to where i can source another one.

Thanks in advance.

#6925 4 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

BTW quick question guys. Ive seemed to have lost my tilt bob. Anyone have a suggestion as to where i can source another one.

https://www.pinballlife.com/plumb-bob-with-thumb-screw.html

Any of the pinball parts suppliers should have them.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6926 4 years ago

What is consensus on best use of upper flipper? Or just ignore it. Would have made a great super skill shot if ball launch design allowed for it (like hit witch in WOZ).

#6927 4 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

What is consensus on best use of upper flipper? Or just ignore it. Would have made a great super skill shot if ball launch design allowed for it (like hit witch in WOZ).

I use it all the time to hit dwarf targets, the captive ball, and once in awhile the ramp.

#6928 4 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Ignore it? Huh? I use it ALL the time. It’s critical in several of the modes, for blocking and getting control of the ball

#6929 4 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Worked great before i decided to remove the PF protector cause i hate them.

Bingo - same. I think the factory had the set a bit higher due to this (and it would be correct). After removing the PF protector they are simply too high - need to lower. I guess I will give it a go and hopefully I get them leveled correctly without too much trouble.

#6930 4 years ago

Everyone, if you would like to see lower profile roll over buttons made please send [email protected] an email requesting them. I already have, but the more emails might make him jump on it. Here's his response to my request.
"Hi Chris, let me look in to this and see what can be done with it. I hate when games have that issue and I have seen it before.

Talk soon, Matt"

#6931 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Everyone, if you would like to see lower profile roll over buttons made please send [email protected] an email requesting them. I already have, but the more emails might make him jump on it. Here's his response to my request.
"Hi Chris, let me look in to this and see what can be done with it. I hate when games have that issue and I have seen it before.
Talk soon, Matt"

I adjusted rollovers quite a bit.

There is tons of adjustment room built in.

I dont think its altogether necessary to replace them, unless you just want to.

And, if you replace them, it will still take a bit of time to adjust them.

Patience is the key...lol

It took forever to get them just right (a couple hours lol)

Now they are perfect.

#6932 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I adjusted rollovers quite a bit.
There is tons of adjustment room built in.
I dont think its altogether necessary to replace th hem.
It took forever to get them just right (a couple hours lol)
Now they are perfect.

Post a pic please.

#6933 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Post a pic please.

Really tough to see..
But I can till you, small adjustments over time yield awsome results.

I screwed with it for a week.
Fast ball. Slow ball, in game testing etc...

Tiny adjustments over time was the key, one rollover at a time.

Still I think my c target could be better.

I'm leaving it the f#ck alone...it works.

Fortunately they stay adjusted once done.

#6934 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m wondering if the timing for the magnet was changed somehow - or power lowered or something.

Hey Guys. I did some investigation on Smaugs magnet and found that the timing was off. When the magnet does not catch the ball it was late. Even when I shoot the ball up by hand and it wasn’t going that fast. But the magnets timing was of.

I also discovered that this magnet was getting really hot! I mean like burn my finger when I touch the aluminum above it for too long! That can’t be normal right?

Does that mean I’m betting of replacing the magnet? Could this cause it to react too slow?
And how would I replace this magnet? Is seems like it’s welded on the aluminum or something? There are no screws or anything. I’ve disconnected this magnet for now. I don’t want other damage to occur.

Any help will be appreciated.

#6935 4 years ago

Magnet gets very hot as a rule. You can flare out the front end of the diverter which will effectively slow the ball down just a bit as it heads for the magnet. Not too much though as you will create a ball trap.

#6936 4 years ago
Quoted from Koos:

Hey Guys. I did some investigation on Smaugs magnet and found that the timing was off. When the magnet does not catch the ball it was late. Even when I shoot the ball up by hand and it wasn’t going that fast. But the magnets timing was of.
I also discovered that this magnet was getting really hot! I mean like burn my finger when I touch the aluminum above it for too long! That can’t be normal right?
Does that mean I’m betting of replacing the magnet? Could this cause it to react too slow?
And how would I replace this magnet? Is seems like it’s welded on the aluminum or something? There are no screws or anything. I’ve disconnected this magnet for now. I don’t want other damage to occur.
Any help will be appreciated.

Reconnect the magnet.
It does get hot.

Let it cool by turning off the game.

Turn the game back on.
Let it set in attract mode for 30 mins.

Check if magnet is hot.

If it's cool enough or not hot, play the game.

It's probably ok.

#6937 4 years ago

May 9th is my 6th anniversary of doing tech support for Jersey Jack Pinball. I'm grateful for all the friends I've made. Jersey Jack Pinball co-workers, distributors, and customers. To celebrate this occasion at my business SS Billiards, I will give any one stopping in today six games on their favorite Jersey Jack Pinball machine here. I have the full line up. WOZ, Hobbit, Dialed In, and Pirates. So come on in and help me celebrate ! It's been a great six years ! Thank you.

#6938 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I will give any one stopping in today six games on their favorite Jersey Jack Pinball machine here.

I would love to take you up on your offer but I don't think I could make it there today as we're already a day ahead over here , but seriously thanks for all of your advice and help

#6939 4 years ago

I recently acquired a Hobbit gold Smaug edition. Balls were ending early and sometimes 2 balls were being ejected into shooter lane. I was trouble shooting a bit and it seemed vibration from playfield was causing ball to end early as I had glass off and was hitting playfield and end of ball was triggered. Between the distributor and I we deduced that it was probably a flaky opto board in trough. JJP sent me 2 new boards which were installed today and unfortunantely the problem persists and now 2 balls being ejected after ball is ended early. Any help on this matter is appreciated.

Thank you kindly

Drew

#6940 4 years ago
Quoted from drewbo81:

Any help on this matter is appreciated.

5 balls in the ball trough, and only 5 ?

Captive ball behind the ball screwed into the middle rear of the playfield, didn't come out and get mixed into the other balls giving you 6 balls in the ball trough ?

#6942 4 years ago

Drew: Sorry to hear your having issues!

#6943 4 years ago

Question:

I watched a YouTube. The guys playing discussed draining through "Preciousss" and there being a way to avoid losing the ball, or getting a free ball for it. How do you do that?

Secondly in re: to "Preciousss", there is a non powered bumper adjacent to the drain ramp that is directly across from a switch, how to you trigger that switch, and what does it do for you. This may be the answer to the first question, but I've tried eight ways from Sunday to hit it and can't...

#6944 4 years ago
Quoted from gordonshumway:

Question:
I watched a YouTube. The guys playing discussed draining through "Preciousss" and there being a way to avoid losing the ball, or getting a free ball for it. How do you do that?
Secondly in re: to "Preciousss", there is a non powered bumper adjacent to the drain ramp that is directly across from a switch, how to you trigger that switch, and what does it do for you. This may be the answer to the first question, but I've tried eight ways from Sunday to hit it and can't...

Frim time to time you will notice a lit green ring above the right outline... not sure but I think it is a mystery award. Anyways, if the ball goes down the right lane while this is lit a mini game will briefly appear on screen. If you stop the moving icon with the ring button in the higlighted area another ball will auto plunge.

#6945 4 years ago

Thanks.

Is there any answer to the switch/bumper below "Preciouss"?

#6946 4 years ago

Thanks.

That can give you an add a ball during multiball if you have the right level of mystery lit

#6947 4 years ago

Thanks.

That's Beorn, and basically the only way to hit that is if a drained ball has enough speed coming down the pike. It'll bounce and tap that target thus adding another ball back into play. This is separate from Preciousss being lit and then using the mini game on the screen to get a ball save.

#6948 4 years ago

Oh man what a day. Started 22 modes, played Smaug MB 3 times, FINALLY got Battle of 5 Armies lit and I freaking wasn't paying attention and started a mode which cancelled out the ability to start 5 armies. Yeah, I lost my last ball on that mode. The Hobbit is no slouch of a game.

#6949 4 years ago

The Hobbits friggen amazing! I’m scared to play mine as I wait for Cliff to get to my protectors being made, but have said the heck with it and we’re just playing and loving this game! Question to all of you Smaug SE owners - has anyone powdercoated the wireforms, and if so could you please post some pics? I’m wanting to do it as the game sitting next to Woz RR looks just ok with the chrome.... I’m not saying the game isn’t gorgeous- it is! I just want to powdercoat the wireforms to finish the look, and I want to be sure I do it with the correct color/finish. I’m not creative at all and if I pick a finish it will clash or look goofy so please post your powdercoated wireforms proudly!!!!

#6950 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

The Hobbits friggen amazing! I’m scared to play mine as I wait for Cliff to get to my protectors being made, but have said the heck with it and we’re just playing and loving this game! Question to all of you Smaug SE owners - has anyone powdercoated the wireforms, and if so could you please post some pics? I’m wanting to do it as the game sitting next to Woz RR looks pro level with the chrome.... I’m not saying the game isn’t gorgeous- it is! I just want to powdercoat the wireforms to finish the look, and I want to be sure I do it with the correct color/finish. I’m not creative at all and if I pick a finish it will clash or look goofy so please post your powdercoated wireforms proudly!!!!

Personally I like the chrome wireforms as they are.

Looks perfect to me.

I guess you could go gold for the gold SE look?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 139 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/139?hl=bigsilverpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.