IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 136 of 260.
#6751 5 years ago

I've owned a Hobbit machine for a little over a couple months now (my first pinball machine) and have enjoyed it. One item I can't figure out is the Beorn add a ball. It seems fairly random if it triggers or not. Does anyone know how to tell if it'll be active when a ball goes down or more importantly how to turn it on so future balls going down would cause the add a ball?

#6752 5 years ago

What's the process to kill Smaug after the multi-ball is started? I have had some monumentally long Smaug multi-balls but I have never killed him and I am not sure what audio clues to listen for and what to do since I find it hard to watch the screen with so many balls flying around.

#6753 5 years ago

I’ve killed Smaug twice. Once by accident and once by (sort of) trying. The thing to listen for is Gandalf tells you to load the windlance. If you hear that, you’re very close but a lot has to happen to get there. Basically it’s a bunch of jackpots then a super jackpot, and repeat that about 4 times. Jackpots are ramps, loops, and holes, then ARF lights blue and hitting any one of those letters is super jackpot. After you’ve done that enough times Gandalf will tell you to hit the man targets. Not sure how many times you have to do that, maybe only once, then he tells you to load the windlance. You don’t have long but if you can do it then you’ve got a short time to hit whichever of the ARF targets is lit and that kills him. The nice thing is your progress carries over. I don’t have a clue how I did it the first time but it was during my 4th Smaug multiball. Totally random just trying to keep balls in play. The next time it was during my 3rd Smaug multiball and I hit the man target at random during the chaos. Then I got a clean shot at the ramp to load the windlance. I didn’t dare take my hands off the flippers so the windlance fired itself and next thing I know he was dead. Not sure whether I hit the shot out of the windlance with the top flipper or just one of the other balls was in the right place at the right time. Either way it’s a total rush. The flippers go dead and your balls drain. First time it happened I thought something was wrong with the game. I won’t say what happens after that but when it’s over another multiball starts and everything is multiplied for your victory lap. It’s freaking awesome. More satisfying than winning an arkenstone mode in my opinion.

#6754 5 years ago

For netman 63129

#6755 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Maybe sand down that protector a bit until a ball goes thru it.

I have what looks like the same protectors on my game and that is exactly what I had to do, although my stuck ball was occurring at the wireform ball exit.

#6756 5 years ago

Love when a mod looks like it was supposed to be there all along. #ModFather.

IMG_4678 (resized).JPGIMG_4678 (resized).JPGIMG_4693 (resized).JPGIMG_4693 (resized).JPG
#6757 5 years ago

PS. Super happy with the quality. I think it's hand-painted (not sure) but the detail is really good.

IMG_4696 (resized).JPGIMG_4696 (resized).JPG
#6758 5 years ago

Killing Smaug is IMO the most satisfying shot in pinball history. Firstly you really should make sure your settings don't allow for Beast MB to run during Smaug MB. There is no reason to have both running, it is way too chaotic and makes it really hard to kill Smaug. It's still really hard to kill Smaug but almost impossible and accidental if both MBs are running at the same time. I usually go through the stages and then wait for the "Load the Windlance" command. Then I try to get one ball cradled on each flipper, load the Windlance with the left flipper and take aim at the missing dwarf drop target with the right flipper, shoot and BAM!

#6759 5 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

PS. Super happy with the quality. I think it's hand-painted (not sure) but the detail is really good.
[quoted image]

They are just hallmark ornaments. You can get the on Ebay for 1/2 the price. Incase you are looking at the other ones.

#6760 5 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

If you want to get to Erebor faster, put a drop of super lube on each spinner. Two good shots around the orbit and you will be there.[quoted image]

Just applied this.

HOLY F#CK! lol.

I have since applied it all of my games.

The spinner on my TH keeps spinning and spinning!

Thanks.

#6761 5 years ago

Why do this though?

Isn't there a setting to change how fast you arrive to Erebor?

#6762 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Why do this though?
Isn't there a setting to change how fast you arrive to Erebor?

It's amazing to watch and hit it now.

In fact a little super lube has revitalized all my spinners.

I never paid much attention to them til now.

They are fun!

#6763 5 years ago

It's amazing to watch and hit it now.
In fact a little super lube has revitalized all my spinners.
I never paid much attention to them til now.
They are fun!

I did this as well and its perhaps a tad to easy to get to, but i'll adjust up and watch them spin!

#6764 5 years ago

Radagast fig. with lighted staff crystal.

RADAGAST  FIG. 002 (resized).JPGRADAGAST FIG. 002 (resized).JPG
#6765 5 years ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Radagast fig. with lighted staff crystal.
[quoted image]

Way cool

#6766 5 years ago

Just applied this.
HOLY F#CK! lol.
I have since applied it all of my games.
Thanks.

Which brand or product did you use?

#6767 5 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

What's the process to kill Smaug after the multi-ball is started? I have had some monumentally long Smaug multi-balls but I have never killed him and I am not sure what audio clues to listen for and what to do since I find it hard to watch the screen with so many balls flying around.

I finally watched a video on it. However you must pass though stages (Smaug mutiball.) in which super jackpot is announced. You are right there when the last stage alternates between the man and dwarf targets lit in red. You hit red man targets then red dwarf targets back and forth, finally you load wind lance after loaded and activated you must hit the one lit shot on dwarf target usually lit in red. It's simply awesome.

#6768 5 years ago

My only "dislike" of this game thus far which also matches what another gentleman said ...... the roll over targets. I emailed backalley creations and asked them if they'd make rollovers that weren't as obnoxiously interfering with ball travel as the current buttons are. Something like old Gottlieb roll over height. I would imagine it's possible? I forgot how much I hated these stupid things when I owned a WCS 4 years ago. lol
TH is such a cool game especially now with the latest code and the pf fixes implemented. For the record I am a HUGE TH, POTC and LOTR fan. I'm actually glad I bought the TH over JJPPOTC. I own a LOTR and TH and I love to get my middle earth groove on. Thanks J. R. R. Tolkien!

#6769 5 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

My only "dislike" of this game thus far which also matches what another gentleman said ...... the roll over targets. I emailed backalley creations and asked them if they'd make rollovers that weren't as obnoxiously interfering with ball travel as the current buttons are. Something like old Gottlieb roll over height. I would imagine it's possible? I forgot how much I hated these stupid things when I owned a WCS 4 years ago. lol
TH is such a cool game especially now with the latest code and the pf fixes implemented. For the record I am a HUGE TH, POTC and LOTR fan. I'm actually glad I bought the TH over JJPPOTC. I own a LOTR and TH and I love to get my middle earth groove on. Thanks J. R. R. Tolkien!

I went with Hobbit over pirates and don't regret it for a single second .

#6770 5 years ago

When is the middle ramp diverter used to send it back down the other ramp? I don’t think I’ve ever noticed it being used.

#6771 5 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

When is the middle ramp diverter used to send it back down the other ramp? I don’t think I’ve ever noticed it being used.

It’s used in the mode “Moon Runes” as the most accessible place. It is also used during the second arkenstone mode.

#6772 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Which brand or product did you use?

See post #6724 Super Lube

#6773 5 years ago

I finally broke 2 million! I was only at about 30k after 2 balls but then I rallied on ball 3, winning 2 extra balls and starting into the fire. Later I managed to start barrel escape for only the 3rd time ever. I also missed the last shot to kill Smaug. Twice. Grrr. Keep your head on a swivel Smaug. I’m coming for you.

#6774 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It’s used in the mode “Moon Runes” as the most accessible place. It is also used during the second arkenstone mode.

It fires really quick. Might be hard to spot if you’re not watching for it

#6776 5 years ago

Really changes the game for the better;
amazon.com link »

It's crazy. 2 solid spinner hits and your there.

#6777 5 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

I don't want it that crazy easy - maybe just a dab will do ya

#6778 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I don't want it that crazy easy - maybe just a dab will do ya

It's a game changer that's for sure.

But really its for the better lol!

I really like it.

#6779 5 years ago

Green white wire has sheared off from the Goblin hit switch . What's the best way to get to it , do you have to pull out the whole unit looks like a nightmare to do that and even worse to get it back in , with the screws covered by wires even with a magnetic screwdriver . Can I extend the wire with any similar size wire and how to stop it from happening again . Any suggestions would be great

IMG_20190410_202903 (resized).jpgIMG_20190410_202903 (resized).jpg
#6780 5 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

Get the spinner really ripping, and then turn the Erebor difficulty up a bit to make the game play as difficult as you want.

Everybody loves fast spinners!

#6781 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Green white wire has sheared off from the Goblin hit switch . What's the best way to get to it , do you have to pull out the whole unit looks like a nightmare to do that and even worse to get it back in , with the screws covered by wires even with a magnetic screwdriver . Can I extend the wire with any similar size wire and how to stop it from happening again . Any suggestions would be great
[quoted image]

Splice it back together with solder and protect it with shrink tubing.

Reroute as necessary.

#6782 5 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Quoted from Pimp77:

It also is used when you press the ring button when "Backstab" is available for the beasts. I don't really know when that is really needed for that though or the advantage for it ... I just try for direct hits to the beasts.

#6783 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

It also is used when you press the ring button when "Backstab" is available for the beasts. I don't really know when that is really needed for that though or the advantage for it ... I just try for direct hits to the beasts.

I use the backstab always.
It's like the smart bomb in AFM.

#6784 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

[quoted image]

This has happened to 2 of our beasts. We removed and replaced wire. Much less daunting than it looks.

#6785 5 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

I finally watched a video on it. However you must pass though stages (Smaug mutiball.) in which super jackpot is announced. You are right there when the last stage alternates between the man and dwarf targets lit in red. You hit red man targets then red dwarf targets back and forth, finally you load wind lance after loaded and activated you must hit the one lit shot on dwarf target usually lit in red. It's simply awesome.

What happens if you miss the Dwarf target, i.e. hit the wrong target?

#6786 5 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

What happens if you miss the Dwarf target, i.e. hit the wrong target?

You have to hit the flashing red man targets and then reload the arrow to try again.

#6787 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I had NO IDEA what the backstab button was actually doing. Thanks!

#6788 5 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I had NO IDEA what the backstab button was actually doing. Thanks!

It’s a really cool feature, but not well explained. I believe there’s another mode that uses that divertedr as well. It is so great when it slams down and the ball comes rocketing back at you

#6790 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It’s a really cool feature, but not well explained. I believe there’s another mode that uses that divertedr as well. It is so great when it slams down and the ball comes rocketing back at you

There are 2 modes that use it; Moon Runes is one, but there’s a second

#6791 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There are 2 modes that use it; Moon Runes is one, but there’s a second

Yes. Just experienced it!
Way cool with the new code.

#6792 5 years ago

Hey everyone,
Just added a Hobbit Smaug Gold Edition to the collection.
It has the center post installed but in looking in the coin box, the little rubber piece that fills the hole if you remove the post is gone.
Any suggestions on how to fill the hole if I remove the post?

Can't seem to find the part on the JJP website...
Thanks!

#6793 5 years ago
Quoted from Ponzie:

Hey everyone,
It has the center post installed but in looking in the coin box, the little rubber piece that fills the hole if you remove the post is gone.
Thanks!

I didn't know those were a thing. I've just had open holes for that post and the outlane posts

#6794 5 years ago
Quoted from Ponzie:

Hey everyone,
Thanks!

Contact JJP they will have any parts for the game you will need.

#6795 5 years ago

I've read about disabling beast MB so it doesn't start while in SMB. Is this an actual menu setting or do you use the ring to forego the lock?

#6796 5 years ago
Quoted from Ponzie:

Hey everyone,
Thanks!

I still have my post in the PF - and I am a NIB buyer. I don't recall seeing anything to put in the remaining post hole if you remove it.

#6797 5 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I've read about disabling beast MB so it doesn't start while in SMB. Is this an actual menu setting or do you use the ring to forego the lock?

Setting in the menu.

#6798 5 years ago

Yes. Just experienced it!
Way cool with the new code.

...but it’s always been there, wasn’t part of new code.

#6799 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Quoted from Ponzie:
Hey everyone,
Thanks!

More
I didn't know those were a thing. I've just had open holes for that post and the outlane posts

I just use a mylar/cling vinyl circle to cover the hole like I do magnets on other games. Works like a charm.

#6800 5 years ago

Is the disable beast mb in this menu? Prevent overlap w/multi ball?

20190413_130623 (resized).jpg20190413_130623 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.50
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 136 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/136?hl=joelbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.