Did I get scammed?
BLUF: Did the Smaug mouths used to not work, but were updated to work after a software update?
So... before I put the guy on blast, I bought a Hobbit LE with a handful of mods from somebody 6 hours away last weekend. When I got there, the guy already had the thing wrapped up and on it's end, but I made him set it up on the ground anyways. The dragon turned side to side, but did the mouth didn't open and close. After bringing up this point, I was assured that was normal, and that a simple software update would fix it. I had a kids birthday party to make it to so paid up and took my new toy home. When I got it home, I updated the software, and of course the mouth still does not work. I have taken the Dragon apart and put it back together 2 times now looking to fix it and have only succeeded in making the side to side motion not work either (it senses it is all the way to the left or all the way to the right at the same time). The mouth used to atleast close when manually opened but now the only part of the dragon that shows any sign of life is the light up eyes. I have not been able to get back a-hold of the guy by email or pinside and will be calling to leave a message soon. I just pulled the trigger on a replacement dragon (not cheap) from JJP.
I know I am probably screwed but before I put the guy on blast, I wanted to know if at any point in time the dragon mouths were disabled by software. If this is true, I have no ill feelings towards the seller. If this was never true, I'm pissed and will be putting him and his pinball parts supply business on blast.
Incidentally, if anyone is interested in a broken but possibly fixable Smaug make me an offer.