IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 132 of 260.
#6551 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What extra $500?

Smaug seems to be $9K currently.....

#6552 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Smaug seems to be $9K currently.....

New in box? I didn’t think anyone even had those left NIB. Used go for $6300-$6800 roughly.

#6553 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

New in box? I didn’t think anyone even had those left NIB. Used go for $6300-$6800 roughly.

Yup. I've seen a few for 9K, and LE and BA for $8500. I think I'd go BA, cheaper, guaranteed best production model, and also has it's own unique intro animation. Though I love aspects of the other two as well!

I played a few more games yesterday, had prior only played at JJP! Definitely a nice slow walk on a trail, compared to the full out mountain climb of POTC. Different flavors, but both are oh so good....

I might wait till next month to see what WOZ looks like. I want all three, but can only afford one in the next ten months.

#6554 5 years ago

BA owners keep saying guarenteed best production model when there is no difference between it and the LE except for cosmetics. C'mon guys.

#6555 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

BA owners keep saying guarenteed best production model when there is no difference between it and the LE except for cosmetics. C'mon guys.

I've read here and there that LE models had a wide range of manufacturing dates. That said, it should be always printed on the box, correct? I like the side art the best on the LE, Smaug has the neatest name and identity, but possibly issues depending on date, and BA has it's own unique attract mode like Smaug, but the black armor feels a bit high contrast.

They all sport pluses and minues.

(And by guaranteed, I mean ideally no possibility of prior issues, whereas the other two models, depending on the production date, might have issues.)

I don't own any at this point, and really am just trying to decipher which model might be the best choice as a new buyer with all options available.

#6556 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Used go for $6300-$6800 roughly.

The Hobbit for $6300???????? Where?

#6557 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Yea none recently...since the recent
code updated they seem more in the 6600-7k range depending on condition, model and mods. Still alot of pin for that range imo

#6558 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

It’s going back up as people wake up to the code changes. Makes sense ! Still cheaper than Pirates !

#6559 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Actually the boards being in the head and the swivel monitor mounted on the pivoting arm didn’t start until Dialed In (and continued with Pirates). Black Arrow Hobbits still have the earlier style monitor mounts.

Oh really? I remember seeing them talk about it when they revealed the black arrow. I remember being pissed off because I would like to have had the extra room in my cab for parts and whatnot.

#6560 5 years ago

I have a BA, one of the first I believe. And all of the gubbings are in the cabinet just like my WOZ.

#6561 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Oh really? I remember seeing them talk about it when they revealed the black arrow. I remember being pissed off because I would like to have had the extra room in my cab for parts and whatnot.

Having disassembled WOZ, multiple Hobbits and Dialed In more than once, I can attest that the best design is absolutely the current Hobbit arrangement. There's too much packed into a tiny space in DI (heat issues) and the backbox is WAY too heavy. It makes the game way more difficult to move and to even lift to put the legs on. I think I've posted this 100 times now but TH is incredibly easy to disassemble, which is important for me because I have stairs! Not sure what they went with for POTC.

That said, even though I don't like the board design, the Spike 2 games are really really light, which IMO is the direction they should be going in. Less stuff on the PF which obviously makes a huge difference, but there's almost nothing in the backbox at all.

#6562 5 years ago

Smaug, LE and Black Arrow are all essentially the same thing with different cab art and trim. Pick you favorite flavor and have fun

#6563 5 years ago

There may be more BA than Smaug - so perhaps Smaug has the fewest built - it that matters at all. All look pretty much the same while you are looking down at the PF paying

#6564 5 years ago

Curious if JJP started screening the backboxes again on the later Hobbits versus using using a sticker. Are the BAs all screened?

#6565 5 years ago

I was at the same reveal. The BA Hobbits were announced and then Pat took over and talked about his new cabinet design for DI including everything moving up into the backbox and so on. Black Arrow Hobbits however continued on with the original style as Hobbit and WOZ had been using cabinet and monitor-wise.

#6566 5 years ago

I was at the same reveal. The BA Hobbits were announced and then Pat took over and talked about his new cabinet design for DI including everything moving up into the backbox and so on. Black Arrow Hobbits however continued on with the original style as Hobbit and WOZ had been using cabinet and monitor-wise.</blockquote

So all Hobbits are not back box electronics based?

#6567 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

So all Hobbits are not back box electronics based?

Correct.

LTG : )

#6568 5 years ago

Yeah, the CPU unit is a full desktop computer that runs in a grounded metal box at the bottom of the cabinet.

#6569 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Correct.

Which model do you feel works best? What are the advantages to having that in the back box versus in the cabinet?

#6570 5 years ago

I don't know, but putting the most weight at the lowest point possible is good design across the board, for all things.

#6571 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Which model do you feel works best?

Boards in the back box, monitor on a wall mount.

Quoted from wesman:

What are the advantages to having that in the back box versus in the cabinet?

Leaves more room for playfield mechs. Take Hobbit for example. Character pop ups. No metal box on the floor with the boards, they could have used Medieval Madness troll pop ups. Simpler design easier maintenance.

And when servicing the game, if you have the metal cover off of the box. When moving the playfield up or down or front or back, no worry about dragging cables and wires across the boards.

And with the boards in the head. Easier to see things or work on them.

#6572 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Boards in the back box, monitor on a wall mount.

Leaves more room for playfield mechs. Take Hobbit for example. Character pop ups. No metal box on the floor with the boards, they could have used Medieval Madness troll pop ups. Simpler design easier maintenance.
And when servicing the game, if you have the metal cover off of the box. When moving the playfield up or down or front or back, no worry about dragging cables and wires across the boards.
And with the boards in the head. Easier to see things or work on them.

Do you happen to have any photos of examples of both styles?

So I'd wager most Black Arrows would feature the method you prefer, with boards in the back box?

#6573 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

There you go.

Quoted from wesman:

So I'd wager most Black Arrows would feature the method you prefer, with boards in the back box?

I don't have a Black Arrow to check, but I believe all the Hobbits are the same. Boards in the big metal box on the floor of the game.

623fc016c4cba6b9e754cb2dd54608fb27c1aead (resized).jpeg623fc016c4cba6b9e754cb2dd54608fb27c1aead (resized).jpegIMG_0485 (resized).JPGIMG_0485 (resized).JPG
#6574 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Read Pinballomatic's post #6565 above.

Black Arrow Hobbits however continued on with the original style as Hobbit and WOZ had been using cabinet and monitor-wise.

That is Steve. A JJP tech.

#6575 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

None of the hobbits have computer in the back box.

This new type started in dialed in.

#6576 5 years ago

Line fuse is on the inside right front next to the service outlet. But before that, check that the plug didn’t come loose in the back of the machine behind the metal plate. Can happen easily especially if someone was vacuuming or something and bumped the cord.

This bit of information has saved me a tonne of ballache trying to figure out why smaug had become a ventriloquist so thank you.
The problem I have now is that same connection seems to vibrate loose after a few mins play. Any advice on how to firm up a connection like this anyone?

#6577 5 years ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

This bit of information has saved me a tonne of ballache trying to figure out why smaug had become a ventriloquist so thank you.
The problem I have now is that same connection seems to vibrate loose after a few mins play. Any advice on how to firm up a connection like this anyone?

Spread the prongs in the outlet slightly until the cord firms up when plugged in.

#6578 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Spread the prongs in the outlet slightly until the cord firms up when plugged in.

Thank you, did that and all seems fine now, Cheers!

#6579 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

This is for screaminr from the question in the JJPOTC club thread …
For connecting TH to a external sub, I used what Pinnovators recommended and it works great. First I bought an RCA splitter for the sub connection at the back of the box from Amazon, then a RCA to STEREO 3.5mm adapter at monoprice:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7241
[quoted image]
then used the Pinnovators 3.5mm stereo cable and routed that out through the back under a small access plate (that no one knows what it is for) that has the 4 screws (just pinched the wire casing a touch with it so that it wouldn't get accidentally pulled), then to the Pinnovators sub splitter.
[quoted image]
I had bought 5 of those monoprice adapters because they were cheap but had questionable reviews - all 5 worked. Pinnovators said that they never had or heard of a problem with them. Their theory was that it was best to have the sound coming from both a RH and LH audio channel. I have that setup with the adapters for both my WOZ and TH and the sound is great.
If nothing else it can give you an idea of what to do. I see that the monoprice RCA to 3.5 stereo is out of stock until 10/25, so if you want one I will bring one to Expo with me and give it to you for 50 cents. I don't have another extra RCA splitter though. Let me know ...

Thanks King Bw finally got around around to getting a sub and installing it . Just put a rca splitter in and connected it straight in couldn't be easier no soldering or alligator clips . Sounds unreal it's like the movies totally worth it , thanks for your advice .

#6580 5 years ago

wow I had no idea the inside of the DI head was so jam packed?!! The Hobbit head has virtually nothing in it! I was hoping to drop weight by removing the head to haul my Hobbit up a flight of stairs....well it was super easy and fast to remove the head but yeah...didn't take off more than 30 lbs....

Is Hobbit the heaviest pinball machine ever created? (aside from Hercules)????

#6581 5 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

wow I had no idea the inside of the DI head was so jam packed?!! The Hobbit head has virtually nothing in it! I was hoping to drop weight by removing the head to haul my Hobbit up a flight of stairs....well it was super easy and fast to remove the head but yeah...didn't take off more than 30 lbs....

Pretty sure it’s still WOZ. DI is no picnic either - I always remove the head, even though it is a pain

#6582 5 years ago

Woz was bloody heavy but I reckon The Hobbit is heavier . The Playfield on The Hobbit is heavier because of all the coils all the rest of the cabinet and back box should be pretty much the same

#6583 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Woz was bloody heavy but I reckon The Hobbit is heavier . The Playfield on The Hobbit is heavier because of all the coils all the rest of the cabinet and back box should be pretty much the same

I just checked - WOZ is 310, TH and DI are 350. MAN!

#6584 5 years ago

Hobbit and di are the heaviest pins ive ever moved....

#6585 5 years ago

What does POTC weigh? I feel like that weighed more than my hobbit BA.

#6586 5 years ago

I moved DI a few times and it felt like I was moving a tank.

#6587 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

What does POTC weigh? I feel like that weighed more than my hobbit BA.

It says 350 as well

#6588 5 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Hobbit is 30 or 40 pounds heavier than Hercules.

#6589 5 years ago

I'm not sure what happened but I started Feast Frenzy and crazy scoring started happening. Modes starting on there own. I scored 13million on just that mode with a final score of 17million. Is this correct or did I uncover a bug?

#6590 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I'm not sure what happened but I started Feast Frenzy and crazy scoring started happening. Modes starting on there own. I scored 13million on just that mode with a final score of 17million. Is this correct or did I uncover a bug?

I don't know but I guess it would be a bug but I wouldn't tell my friends that

#6591 5 years ago

Taking the backbox off POTC is no trivial task. I still need to reassemble the thing. It’s turned into a dust collector since I moved it. Heavy ass game!

0B717448-70A5-495A-B3FC-E255C0623569 (resized).jpeg0B717448-70A5-495A-B3FC-E255C0623569 (resized).jpeg2C24E874-1DCC-4144-9035-7ACCD2D29C7E (resized).jpeg2C24E874-1DCC-4144-9035-7ACCD2D29C7E (resized).jpeg2F3AC6CF-39A9-4D7A-A8A1-71A77F2399BC (resized).jpeg2F3AC6CF-39A9-4D7A-A8A1-71A77F2399BC (resized).jpeg42A6F4EE-470C-4552-86E5-A58A434073A3 (resized).jpeg42A6F4EE-470C-4552-86E5-A58A434073A3 (resized).jpeg9F6F0090-EBD5-4BCC-B730-D342B9987A9B (resized).jpeg9F6F0090-EBD5-4BCC-B730-D342B9987A9B (resized).jpegF129096D-356C-4B11-B0FF-AEDC1EEA303B (resized).jpegF129096D-356C-4B11-B0FF-AEDC1EEA303B (resized).jpeg
#6592 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I don't know but I guess it would be a bug but I wouldn't tell my friends that

Maybe it happened because when I started Feast frenzy I also had beast multiball and smog multiball going.

#6593 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Maybe it happened because when I started Feast frenzy I also had beast multiball and smog multiball going.

I was playing tonight and had smaug multiball going and feast frenzy and Beast multiball I don't know in which order I had it , I killed smaug and didn't even crack a million , jersey Jack pins don't normally score that big but if there is a way to do it I would love to know .

#6594 5 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

I turn off Smaug MB running with Beast MB. Way too chaotic.

#6595 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Taking the backbox off POTC is no trivial task. I still need to reassemble the thing. It’s turned into a dust collector since I moved it. Heavy ass game![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

People always complain about how expensive JPPs are, then they look under the hood. "Ohhhhhh"

#6596 5 years ago

A good home for The Hobbit... and Lord of the Rings of course!

20180720_165623 (resized).jpg20180720_165623 (resized).jpg
#6597 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

A good home for The Hobbit... and Lord of the Rings of course![quoted image]

Holy CRAP?! is that your place ?

#6598 5 years ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

A good home for The Hobbit... and Lord of the Rings of course![quoted image]

As good as Lord of the Rings is I'd love to see jjp have a go at it

#6599 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Holy CRAP?! is that your place ?

Yep, I'm big into combining life size sculptures and replicas with pinball. I've got a pretty cool life-size Venom and Spiderman bust to go with a SM Vault, life-size Davy Jones bust to go with POTC, etc.

#6600 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

As good as Lord of the Rings is I'd love to see jjp have a go at it

I feel the same way about a Jurassic World/Park Pin. I would love to see what JJP could do with that, not a huge fan of the old Data East JP, and I have quite the life-size Dinosaur setup to go perfectly with it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 132 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/132?hl=joncrox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.