Topic Stats

• 8,201 posts
  • 533 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by wesman
  • Topic is favorited by 194 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,198 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20200221-171244_Photos (resized).jpg
20200220_235720 (resized).jpg
20200220_235711 (resized).jpg
20200220_235704 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200220-150431_Photos (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200220-135751_Photos (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200220-135829_Photos (resized).jpg
20200218_210836 (resized).jpg
20200218_163805 (resized).jpg
20200218_155638 (resized).jpg
IMG_3386 (resized).JPG
20200217_215926 (resized).jpg
2020_02_11_20_46_46_Three_Bank_Drop_Target_Assembly_Right (resized).jpg
20200204_151441 (resized).jpg
WIN_20200129_19_02_07_Pro (resized).jpg
WIN_20200129_19_00_07_Pro (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8201 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 165.
#601 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Nice, I think I've noticed some minor audio clipping as well at times. Can you please share your games audio settings?

I'll take a pic when I get home tonight.

#602 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I'll take a pic when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

#603 3 years ago

That was a fun game.

image_(resized).jpeg

#604 3 years ago

Wow . . . . . 2,449,297 . . . . . Congrats. I can only dream about getting that high of a score, what's your secret?

#605 3 years ago

I'm not a good pinball player at all...just lucky. Tried out the headphone jack for the first time. Was just in a groove. Was going for captive ball to light the extra ball. Really wish I could tell what to do in Smaug multiball. Probably got it 5-8 times in the 35 min game. I think I played a little over 2/3 of the modes.

#606 3 years ago

My audio settings...

image_(resized).jpeg

#607 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

My audio settings...

Thank you! I'll try those out.

#608 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thank you! I'll try those out.

Let me know how it goes...I may tweak it more by lowering the speech and upping the music.

#609 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Since I've solved my resets and air balls I solved another annoyance this weekend. My left habitrail that goes to the outlane wasn't 100% consistent on catching and holding the ball. I added a 1/4" tall spacer under the bottom screw and it made it 100% reliable (so far) with a pretty good amount of plays on it today. No traps, no bounce outs. Perfect.
Now I have just one more minor annoyance to figure out and it will be perfect. One in maybe 100 right habitrail returns will drop the ball and spin it up and out the right outlane. It is FRUSTRATING when it happens and screws us enough to need to find a way to fix it. Anybody else experience this one?

Thanks for the suggestions. I installed a spacer and things are much improved. I also noticed the bracket holding the small flood light on the left was hitting the ball on it's way down the habitrail and knocking the ball off to the left. Those having this issue might want to make sure that's not part of your problem.

#610 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

One in maybe 100 right habitrail returns will drop the ball and spin it up and out the right outlane. It is FRUSTRATING when it happens and screws us enough to need to find a way to fix it. Anybody else experience this one?

I bent the upper loop up about 1/4" maybe less and bent/raised the lower loop about 1/16"
This seems to slow the ball and allow it to go thru better. A spacer there might also help but I havent tried it.

#611 3 years ago

My THLE should be here next week!

#612 3 years ago

Not sure how it happened but I managed to snag & break a couple of the wires routed around the MAN target bank while raising the playfield last night. The only thing I can guess at is that they got caught on the metal track that the playfield slides on, but that seems unlikely.
Just wanted to put this out there as a warning to other owners to so you can avoid this issue. These wires are so fragile that I didn't feel their resistance as they were breaking while lifting/pulling the playfield.

Also I am interested in any suggestions for repairing/reconnecting these wires. They are so very thin. Anyone know what guage these are?

Here are some pictures
IMG_2348_(resized).JPGIMG_2347_(resized).JPG

#613 3 years ago

From the looks of things the wires are of various gauges. maybe somewhere 18 to 22. If there is enough slack then I would just splice them. Strip affected wires back about 3/4" and then place them parallel to each other but pointing in opposite direction and slowly twist the bare conductors about each other. Then solder the wires with some Kester 44 or other flux coated solder wire made for electrical use. Before you wrap the wires, buy some heat shrink tubing in the appropriate size (it shrinks roughly half size) and slide a piece up one wire long enough that it overlaps the bare conductors. When finished soldering, slide the tubing over the splice and apply heat to shrink the tubing. Some folks will drag the soldering iron over it, some folks will use a cigarette lighter, us professionals have a dedicated heat gun. That's all, folks.

#614 3 years ago

It looks like quite a bit of stress was applied to at least one of the wires.
I would check the continuity of the wires by stripping it and twisting them back together and temporarily taping them. Then check the wires using an ohmmeter or other type of tester.
If you dont have an ohmmeter, start the game and see if everything works correctly.
If everything seems ok, then use the instructions posted above to do a permanent repair.

#615 3 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

From the looks of things the wires are of various gauges. maybe somewhere 18 to 22.

You'd think, but this isn't larger than 24 maybe smaller. It is the very small size of the wire that has me asking about repairing it.

LLoyd,
Do you know what size these little un's are and how you would reconnect them?

#616 3 years ago

I love this game. Running some unreleased code that fixes the reset issue, and adds a lot more to the game including callouts directing you to "shoot the left ramp" "hit the spider" "bash the goblin" and "Multiball!" Callouts when Smaug MB and Beast Frenzy MB start. More music and refined lighting in certain modes. Still have a long ways to go, but the coding team at JJP simply amazes me, especially seeing how Stern handles code and how simple GB's code seems in comparison.

Also, my wife hit the Into the Fire Arkenstone mode today- definitely in its baby stage as there was very little music and no callouts or anything special other then a bad ass 5 ball multiball and the LEDs on the drop targets were blinking in an Orange/Red flame mimicking light show, and fire on the small LCD. I absolutely love this machine and where it's heading.

image_(resized).jpeg

#617 3 years ago

Got my Hobbit 3 days ago and i'm loving it! A few questions to you owners.

1. The legs are quite a bit shorter than WOZ more like the height of a Stern. Anyone know why JJP went with shorter legs and therefore a lower table height?

2. Are some of story book modes not completable yet? I feel like I have hit all the targets they ask for and still have time in the mode, but it ends and I don't get a complete bonus. In fact I don't think I have completed any modes yet.

3. Sometimes, especially when I lock a ball, the audio pops and crackles. Is this just a product of early code or do you think i have a connection issue. I did make sure all of the audio connections under the play field were tight. I have not looked in the back box yet. My sub woofer sounded like it was blown, but I did fix that by securing the connection.

4. Just an observation, but I think it's strange that they chose to face the Dwarf or Hobbit in the barrel looking to the back of the machine. I feel like we should be able to see his face.

5. Anyone see any cool mods for the play field yet. I feel like the mod community is a little slow with mods for Hobbit. There are already tons of Ghost Busters and I feel like WOZ had quite a few at this point.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Hobbit or gets it soon if they are waiting.

#618 3 years ago
Quoted from GameJunkie:

1. The legs are quite a bit shorter than WOZ more like the height of a Stern. Anyone know why JJP went with shorter legs and therefore a lower table height?
2. Are some of story book modes not completable yet? I feel like I have hit all the targets they ask for and still have time in the mode, but it ends and I don't get a complete bonus. In fact I don't think I have completed any modes yet.
3. Sometimes, especially when I lock a ball, the audio pops and crackles. Is this just a product of early code or do you think i have a connection issue. I did make sure all of the audio connections under the play field were tight. I have not looked in the back box yet. My sub woofer sounded like it was blown, but I did fix that by securing the connection.
4. Just an observation, but I think it's strange that they chose to face the Dwarf or Hobbit in the barrel looking to the back of the machine. I feel like we should be able to see his face.
5. Anyone see any cool mods for the play field yet. I feel like the mod community is a little slow with mods for Hobbit. There are already tons of Ghost Busters and I feel like WOZ had quite a few at this point.

1) My legs are identical to WOZ (sits right next to my WOZ).
2) You can "complete" modes, but none of the completion bonuses are in yet. All the modes aren't done yet either.
3) Check my post above about audio clipping. Basically, lower all your audio settings in the menu.
4) Agree. I don't even notice the dwarf in the barrel.
5) Haven't seen anything compelling yet.

#619 3 years ago
Quoted from GameJunkie:

1. My WOZ legs are exactly the same height as the Hobbit™

2. Code updates will cover all of this.

#620 3 years ago

I haven't witnessed any audio clipping in my game. It looks like some of you are running custom settings. I modified mine slightly:

IMG_5404_(resized).JPG

#621 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

LLoyd,
Do you know what size these little un's are and how you would reconnect them?

18 gauge. I'd strip both ends, slide heat shrink tubing on one side. Twist together and solder. Slide heat shrink tubing over the solder joint and use what us non professionals use - a cigarette lighter to shrink the tubing. Cable tie the wires out of the way so it doesn't happen again.

LTG : )

#622 3 years ago

Soom 01.20 for Hobbit

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#623 3 years ago

Thanks Lloyd these are the LED wires and they are definitely not 18 gauge, my current guess is 26 guage. It is possible that my machine is the only one with these small wires but I don't think that is likely.

#624 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

my current guess is 26 guage.

You are right. I'm sorry.

#625 3 years ago

Thanks Lloyd
These wires are so tiny I was thinking there may be another way to reconnect them other than the tried and true solder method. Anyway I picked up some 1/16" heat shrink and will get out my microscope to try and do the soldering tonight.

#626 3 years ago

My legs on my Hobbit are 2" shorter than my WOZ. My WOZ legs are 30.5" and my Hobbit 28.5 inches not including levelers.

So witch legs are off? Can someone check theirs?

#627 3 years ago
Quoted from GameJunkie:

My legs on my Hobbit are 2" shorter than my WOZ. My WOZ legs are 30.5" and my Hobbit 28.5 inches not including levelers.

That is indeed a mystery:

Did you get some Data East legs on your WOZ?!?!?!? Maybe your distributer made an error?

Pinball legs have changed sizes a lot over the years.
Not only the length can be different. There are also differences in types and colors. Flat or ribbed (whole length or partly). Chrome, black or painted grey.

•27 inch = 68.5cm
•28.5 inch = 72cm
•30.5 inch = 77.5 cm
•31 inch = 78.8cm

Data East / Sega / Stern : Data East started with chrome 28.5 inch but switched soon to black of the same length. Later black 30.5 inch.

Williams Pinball 2000 (1999 - 2000): black ribbed, 28.5 inch.

Williams / Bally system11 and WPC (1987 - 1998) : chrome ribbed, 28.5 inch.
Exception are the first generation Bally games (1988-1990) which had grey and sometimes black (like Black Rose).
Road Show had blue, and gold legs were installed on Indiana Jones, World Cup Soccer, Judge Dredd and Addams Family Gold.
Corvette and ST:TNG had black, and some CFTBL too.
Twilight Zone used regular chrome. But because the game is so heavy, during development Williams had tested with legs with 3 leg bolts. Games weren't shipped with them, but the cabinet does have 3 holes. Take care when setting it up on legs that you use the correct two, or the playfield will be much steeper than it needs to be.

Williams 1966 - 1987: flat chrome, 27 inch, later ribbed until half.

Bally 1984 - 1987 : ribbed chrome, 28.5 inch.

Bally 1968 - 1983 : flat dark grey, 28.5 inch.

Gottlieb DMD (1990 - 1995): started with 27 inch chrome, later 31 inch chrome.

Gottlieb system 1 / sys80 : standard 27 inch, flat chrome.
Exception is Haunted House, 27 inch in front and 31 inch in the back.

Gottlieb electromechanical 1 player (50ies to mid 70) : 31 inch flat chrome.

Stern 1977-1985 : 28.5 inch, flat chrome.

Zaccaria : 28.5 inch, flat chrome.

JJP : 28.5 inch, powder coated in colors, or flat chrome (same as late model Williams or Stern legs)

(reposted from flippers.be)

PM or ask Lloyd WTF?

#628 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

That is indeed a mystery:
Did you get some Data East legs?!?!?!?
Pinball legs have changed sizes a lot over the years.
Not only the length can be different. There are also differences in types and colors. Flat or ribbed (whole length or partly). Chrome, black or painted grey.
•27 inch = 68.5cm
•28.5 inch = 72cm
•30.5 inch = 77.5 cm
•31 inch = 78.8cm
Data East / Sega / Stern : Data East started with chrome 28.5 inch but switched soon to black of the same length. Later black 30.5 inch.
Williams Pinball 2000 (1999 - 2000): black ribbed, 28.5 inch.
Williams / Bally system11 and WPC (1987 - 1998) : chrome ribbed, 28.5 inch.
Exception are the first generation Bally games (1988-1990) which had grey and sometimes black (like Black Rose).
Road Show had blue, and gold legs were installed on Indiana Jones, World Cup Soccer, Judge Dredd and Addams Family Gold.
Corvette and ST:TNG had black, and some CFTBL too.
Twilight Zone used regular chrome. But because the game is so heavy, during development Williams had tested with legs with 3 leg bolts. Games weren't shipped with them, but the cabinet does have 3 holes. Take care when setting it up on legs that you use the correct two, or the playfield will be much steeper than it needs to be.
Williams 1966 - 1987: flat chrome, 27 inch, later ribbed until half.
Bally 1984 - 1987 : ribbed chrome, 28.5 inch.
Bally 1968 - 1983 : flat dark grey, 28.5 inch.
Gottlieb DMD (1990 - 1995): started with 27 inch chrome, later 31 inch chrome.
Gottlieb system 1 / sys80 : standard 27 inch, flat chrome.
Exception is Haunted House, 27 inch in front and 31 inch in the back.
Gottlieb electromechanical 1 player (50ies to mid 70) : 31 inch flat chrome.
Stern 1977-1985 : 28.5 inch, flat chrome.
Zaccaria : 28.5 inch, flat chrome.
JJP : 28.5 inch, powder coated in colors, or flat chrome (same as late model Williams or Stern legs)
(reposted from flippers.be)
PM or ask Lloyd WTF?

If his WOZ legs are 30.5", then there's the extra 2". Weird if true.

I would love longer legs on my games as I'm tall.

#629 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

If his WOZ legs are 30.5", then there's the extra 2". Weird if true.
I would love longer legs on my games as I'm tall.

I am with you on the height of WOZ it is a little bit lower than my other games I would like it a bit higher.

#630 3 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I am with you on the height of WOZ it is a little bit lower than my other games I would like it a bit higher.

This is so strange. My WOZ is the same height as my Twilight Zone. I have a standard edition WOZ with the legs that came in the box. It was one of the first off the line. Wonder if they changed the length early on.

#631 3 years ago
Quoted from GameJunkie:

Just curious, are you Liberty Township in Butler County or Trumbull County?

#632 3 years ago
Quoted from GameJunkie:

This is so strange. My WOZ is the same height as my Twilight Zone. I have a standard edition WOZ with the legs that came in the box. It was one of the first off the line. Wonder if they changed the length early on.

Mine is the same as all my Stern/JJP/Williams/Bally games. My DE is the oddball in regards to leg length.

#633 3 years ago
Quoted from GameJunkie:

My Hobbit legs are 28.5".

#634 3 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

Just curious, are you Liberty Township in Butler County or Trumbull County?

I used to live in Liberty Township. I moved to Scottsdale a year ago.

#635 3 years ago

Legs on TH are shorter because well, how many tall Hobbits have ever seen?

#636 3 years ago

Yes I too and dying for some pf mods! Seems just nothing still.
I hope there is another multiball added. Those two over and over are fun but ...........
Amazing amazing game though !

#637 3 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

Yes I too and dying for some pf mods! Seems just nothing still.
I hope there is another multiball added. Those two over and over are fun but ...........
Amazing amazing game though !

The into the fire Arkenstone 5 ball MB is awesome.. Plenty of Mb action with the wizard modes now, although the Feast Frenzy really seems like it should also be a multiball mode...

#638 3 years ago

Has the not officially released 1.20 fixed the dying/reboot issue?

#639 3 years ago

I've been running the 1.2 code on the Hobbits I brought for the SFGE show and no reboots

#640 3 years ago

Larry, do you know what angle your pins were set at for SFGE? I had a couple friends down there this weekend and they told me the games were really slow and floaty. Only game they walked away from because of really long ball times and too boring they said.

I have a Hobbit which should be coming within the next few weeks and their REALLY negative review and a lot of the reviews on Pinside have me a little worried. From what I gather it sounds like Hobbit really needs to be set up in a certain manner and that you really need to own it and get familiar with it before in becomes a lot of fun.

Is that an accurate statement, all you current Hobbit owners?

#641 3 years ago

I have one coming soon but I found the hobbit to be fun on a floaty example and a not as floaty example at shows and I had no idea what was going on in the very early code other than how to get multiball.

From what I read the depth and variety in modes is already deeper than many pins I own.

Read this thread.. and I doubt a distributer or current Hobbit owner would say it's boring for many reasons.

#642 3 years ago

True. I've read every post in this thread over time and the positive experiences of some owners is exactly what has me excited. I really want to love this pin.

#643 3 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Larry, do you know what angle your pins were set at for SFGE? I had a couple friends down there this weekend and they told me the games were really slow and floaty. Only game they walked away from because of really long ball times and too boring they said.
I have a Hobbit which should be coming within the next few weeks and their REALLY negative review and a lot of the reviews on Pinside have me a little worried. From what I gather it sounds like Hobbit really needs to be set up in a certain manner and that you really need to own it and get familiar with it before in becomes a lot of fun.
Is that an accurate statement, all you current Hobbit owners?

I have my game setup at 6.8 degrees with Perfect Play flipper bands and it plays pretty darn quick. I had some friends over on Friday to play the game and watch Battle of the 5 Armies. My buddies had a blast and really enjoyed the game. I asked one of my friends who was over what he thought of the game and he said "Can I take it home" haha. Most of the negative reviews here are few and far between and are just from the same people over and over again as well as the regular anti JJP guys.

Also, if people play the game that only prefer more fast paced + points based rulesets (MET, ACDC, etc) versus quest / objective based rulesets (LOTR, WOZ, TSPP) then I can see them not liking the game. The Hobbit is a game like LOTR and WOZ where you are progressing through the games 31 main modes in attempt to get to the games multiple mini and major wizard wizards (and ultimately a super wizard mode). I prefer objective based ruletsets and I think The Hobbit will have one of the best ever created due to all of the work going into it's code. Even with code 1.2 we haven't seen anything yet. The Hobbit, like WOZ, is one of the most engaging pins I've ever played.

I did have another buddy (wasn't over at my place the other night) that told me he walked away from playing a Hobbit, thought it was slow and boring. For one it doesn't help he played it while the game was still on code .8x and two he tends to prefer super fast points focused ruletsets like the one found on MET. He thought I was crazy for selling my MET recently to help fund a Hobbit whereas for me it was a no brainer as it offers my preferred ruletset.

Finally (lol) I think completed code will change some peoples opinion that don't like the game today or played it on earlier code. Another friend of mine told me why I would buy a WOZ, he played one and thought it was boring. Well, he told me that 3 years ago when WOZ was still running fairly early code. Now when he comes over to my place to play pinball he can't stop playing WOZ, and already enjoys The Hobbit, haha.

#644 3 years ago

Well its a shooters game for sure. Keith has a lot more work to do. Game needs more call outs so you know what to shoot for. Although the small book (lcd) tells you what you need to do, there are times, esp during a multiball when you start a mode that you either don't know what mode your in or what needs to be shot at. There's little chance of having time to look at the main screen or the book. Watching WOZ progress from early code issues such as TH, got to figure he will clean up the rough spots. So much more to come, mode completions, the 3 main wizard modes, call outs, scoring balances and lighting issues. At least for me, having a hard time understanding what the change in lighting color actually means. Trying to figure it out vs reading a rule sheet. Overall, its very different than any pin out there, which makes it unique and fun to play.

#645 3 years ago

Thanks. That is what I've been thinking. Lol I probably just need to stop reading hobbit threads. (And GB threads too).

#646 3 years ago

I had it set for 6.5 degrees.

#647 3 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

I had it set for 6.5 degrees.

6.5 is too low.
The ball will hover above the flippers too much (floating) and hang in weird areas due to low inertia.
Play a few games at 6.85 dergrees you will see its almost perfect.
Over 7 degrees and the ball will not travel up the pop area ball guide properly during kick-backs.

#648 3 years ago

I need some trouble shooting tips for the Smaug head. The dragon eyes light up and the mouth moves but the head no longer swivels to face the player. The head swivels freely by hand but doesn't respond to the + or - buttons in the test menu nor does it move side to side during the game.

In the test menu there are 4 squares. Upper Left (UL), Upper Right(UR), Lower Left(LL) and Lower Right(LR). The UL lights up when the head reaches the left stop. The UR lights up when the head reaches the right stop. These squares are presumably driven by switches and if I move the head by hand to the left stop and to the right stop they do light up. The LL lights up when the - volume button is pressed and the LR lights up when the + volume button is pressed. These squares light correctly when the corresponding volume buttons are pressed but the head does not move.

#649 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I need some trouble shooting tips for the Smaug head.

A couple connectors below him. Please be sure they are in tight, or reseat them. Look for loose connector or loose wire in a connector.

#650 3 years ago

I am so excited to get my 'slow and boring' wide bodied pin with no shots and is a 'box of lights!'

Can't ...freakin ...wait!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,400 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Camano Island, WA
There are 8201 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 165.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside