20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 128 of 260.
#6351 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It’s stable, you have the vast majority of gameplay changes but there are some additional light effects which are cool, and some very minor mode changes and bug fixes

Thats what i wanted to hear.. thank you.

#6352 5 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I’m sure JJP wouldn’t bother spending the time to create these updates if they didn't feel it would be worthwhile. The difference isn’t ‘huge’ but 3.10 is better than 2.99. It’s a no-brainer.

I get this.. just wanted make sure a stable code was available before i did a full install. I've never had do a full and didn't want any issues so just wanted make sure this awesome game didn't have any down time.

#6353 5 years ago

3.10 is rock solid on my Hobbit. Just played a game that must have been 45 minutes and the game didn’t experience a single glitch. Reached level 3 Into the Fire, level 2 Barrel Escape, level 2 Battle of Five Armies and killed Smaug twice. The audio, video and immersion in this game is second to none, what a rush! A deep game of Hobbit really feels like an epic journey.

7B38DFFD-051E-44AC-8CC7-8E2D23DB6DF1 (resized).jpeg7B38DFFD-051E-44AC-8CC7-8E2D23DB6DF1 (resized).jpeg

02A59B03-1239-47C2-A9BB-E42262351428 (resized).jpeg02A59B03-1239-47C2-A9BB-E42262351428 (resized).jpeg
#6354 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

3.10 is rock solid on my Hobbit. Just played a game that must have been 45 minutes and the game didn’t experience a single glitch. Reached level 3 Into the Fire, level 2 Barrel Escape, level 2 Battle of Five Armies and killed Smaug twice. The audio, video and immersion in this game is second to none, what a rush! A deep game of Hobbit really feels like an epic journey.
[quoted image]

Put the glass back on... WOW

#6355 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

13 hours and no issue. Mute button it is!

Thanks for checking and reporting back.
--Ted

#6356 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Put the glass back on... WOW

I'm on factory settings (3 balls) with only the following changes: outlane posts at lowest setting, tilt warnings at max and extra balls awarded for replay and grand champion. This game is generous with the extra balls, my previous personal best was 4.4M for a long time, so last night was quite a rush. The new code is so damn good, this game is a true masterpiece. I played 22 modes in the game last night, next time I have the time and energy to play Hobbit, I'm going to just focus on starting all of the modes to reach There and Back Again. Something to shoot for and it feels within reach.

#6357 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

Thanks for checking and reporting back.
--Ted

Hey I appreciate you helping me out!

#6358 5 years ago

How do you get to there and back again? Do you just have to start all 32 modes? Or do you have to beat them all?

#6359 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

How do you get to there and back again? Do you just have to start all 32 modes? Or do you have to beat them all?

you only have to start them

#6360 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

you only have to start them

“Only” he says....

#6361 5 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

next time I have the time and energy to play Hobbit

haha it's is definitely draining to play for that long but an adventure for sure, my best is just over 5 mil and I needed a nap afterwards.

#6362 5 years ago

If you haven't already, make sure you turn on the setting that disables Beast Multiball from running during Smaug Multiball.

Also, I hardly ever go for Arkenstone modes anymore unless I'm close. It's all about the Modes for me and the Akernstone modes just kind of happen. Still have been one shot away from TABA (twice) but it rattles out. The frustration is real to get there!

#6363 5 years ago

Hey I just found my EOS switch for the upper right flipper snapped in half so I'll need to order a new one. What other spare parts should I get? So far I'm planning on getting some springs for the beast door flaps and probably one of each of the different coils.

IMG_20190117_152600 (resized).jpgIMG_20190117_152600 (resized).jpg
#6364 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Hey I just found my EOS switch for the upper right flipper snapped in half so I'll need to order a new one. What other spare parts should I get? So far I'm planning on getting some springs for the beast door flaps and probably one of each of the different coils.
[quoted image]

If your going with JJ for parts I would get a few rollovers they are going to ask what type of spacer you have in them - just say you will assemble them as needed it's easy

#6365 5 years ago

3.1 installed flawlessly.
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/TheHobbit-v03.10.iso
tools used:
BACK UP YOUR SETTINGS FIRST !!!!
Restore your settings after the update.
This iso update erases everything and reverts the game to factory settings.
I use a separate USB flash drive to backup my settings. Write what they are for on them with a marker, store in the coin box.
kingston 8gb USB 3 Data Traveler USB drive.
amazon.com link »
windows 10 64 bit.
Unetbootin utility to make a bootable flash drive.
https://unetbootin.github.io/
If you have trouble getting unetbootin to work right, use Rufus:
https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.4/rufus-3.4.exe
It does the same thing but can be more stable, especially with larger iso files above 4.7gb.
Follow the instructions in the service manual.
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/Hobbit_Manual%203_4%20November%202018.pdf
Another perfect update!

Hey Reno I followed these and the update appeared to work. (No errors or anything) however on screen at bottom right when I open coin door it says ver 1.9.

Any obvious solution?

#6366 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg: Also, I hardly ever go for Arkenstone modes anymore unless I'm close. It's all about the Modes for me and the Akernstone modes just kind of happen. Still have been one shot away from TABA (twice) but it rattles out. The frustration is real to get there!

So I "cheated" and set the game to 5 Balls. I am not a real good player so I need the "Handicap" ( hey handicaps are allowed in Golf ). Finally got to Battle of the 5 Armies. Extremely impressive wizard mode. I also find that I am playing more of the modes now and they seem to be much more fun then prior to up loading 3.0. With the large play field and all the different shot opportunities , the game choreography plus the opportunity to add extra balls, some of the deeper modes feel like mini wizard modes in themselves. Not sure if 3.0 changed the modes at all but I am certainly enjoying them more.
Hobbit versus DI is a one game a night player for me. I am finding the two games complement each other nicely. Looks like I am becoming a JJP fan.

#6367 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Hey Reno I followed these and the update appeared to work. (No errors or anything) however on screen at bottom right when I open coin door it says ver 1.9.
Any obvious solution?

Did you turn the game off and boot the usb flash drive?
You would know it as it takes a good 5 mins to install with lots of text and scary pauses.

Then when its done remove the flash drive and reboot the game again to prove it works and to set the new code properly in place.

Some people report that the cable doesnt work (5 ft is a bit long for a little unpowered USB device) and have to stick the flash drive directly into the back of the computer bypassing where the cable is plugged in.

#6368 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Any obvious solution?

Start over. Put download on desktop. Format USB stick. Open Unetbootin, use that to load update onto USB stick. Turn game off, insert USB stick into USB cable by cashbox. Turn game on. Watch, screen does all kinds of neat stuff. 20 minutes later screen says unplug USB stick and reboot game ( turn game off, wait 15 seconds or so and turn game back on. )

LTG : )

#6369 5 years ago
Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Any obvious solution?

Try rufus instead of unetbootin.

#6370 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check if it's hitting the playfield going up.

LTG I think you are right. Look at the picture. The back is touching the playfield and wearing the wood. You can see on the 2nd pic that it's not centered too if we look from the top.
I tried to unscrew some screw under the playfield and tried to center it but it's moving.. I have no clue how to adjust this.

IMG_20190119_165459~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20190119_165459~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20190119_171849 (resized).jpgIMG_20190119_171849 (resized).jpg
#6371 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisLIX:

ltg I think you are right. Look at the picture. The back is touching the playfield and wearing the wood. You can see on the 2nd pic that it's not centered too if we look from the top.
I tried to unscrew some screw under the playfield and tried to center it but it's moving.. I have no clue how to adjust this.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Pull the mech up all the way by hand and literally bend it back away from the area its rubbing.

Just push it back about 1/8" or 3mm.

The mech bends pretty easy.

#6372 5 years ago

Pull the mech up all the way by hand and literally bend it back away from the area its rubbing.

Wow ok.. Will try!

#6373 5 years ago

Did you turn the game off and boot the usb flash drive?
You would know it as it takes a good 5 mins to install with lots of text and scary pauses.
Then when its done remove the flash drive and reboot the game again to prove it works and to set the new code properly in place.
Some people report that the cable doesnt work (5 ft is a bit long for a little unpowered USB device) and have to stick the flash drive directly into the back of the computer bypassing where the cable is plugged in.

Quoted from LTG:

Start over. Put download on desktop. Format USB stick. Open Unetbootin, use that to load update onto USB stick. Turn game off, insert USB stick into USB cable by cashbox. Turn game on. Watch, screen does all kinds of neat stuff. 20 minutes later screen says unplug USB stick and reboot game ( turn game off, wait 15 seconds or so and turn game back on. )

Quoted from manadams:

Try rufus instead of unetbootin.

Thanks gang! Update successful.

Did several things wrong the first go. Thanks for the step by step LTG.

#6374 5 years ago

Problem solved After put back in the correct position, a new problem arrived (false hit when popping). I adjust the switch and now it works perfectly!
Thanks for your help!

#6375 5 years ago

When you restore the settings after doing a full install will that restore the game audits as well? I backed up the settings but when I tried to restore them its not detecting the proper file. Any tips?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6376 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

When you restore the settings after doing a full install will that restore the game audits as well?

I don't think so.

Quoted from wolv3:

I backed up the settings but when I tried to restore them its not detecting the proper file. Any tips?

Sounds like they weren't backed up right.

On the USB stick, if you open the stick it should say pinballbackup . If that isn't there, you didn't save them.

#6377 5 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

When you restore the settings after doing a full install will that restore the game audits as well?

Audits are definitely restored. Unless I played 900 games since yesterday when I upgraded.

#6378 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

On the USB stick, if you open the stick it should say pinballbackup . If that isn't there, you didn't save them.

I back them up twice. And between each time copy them off to a computer to be sure. Call me obsessive.

#6379 5 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

I back them up twice. And between each time copy them off to a computer to be sure. Call me obsessive.

I would be a dead man if I lost @pinballgodess 5 mil WOZ score.

#6380 5 years ago

I had my black arrow running in attract mode for about an hour when I smelled something burning. Immediately turned game off but can’t find anything that looks black or melted. Has anyone seen this before with TH? Thanks

#6381 5 years ago
Quoted from Brog319:

can’t find anything that looks black or melted.

If coils look okay. Open the metal box on the floor of the cabinet with the boards inside and check the power supply board.

#6382 5 years ago

I added a red spring to my plunger and turned the flipper strength up. Very satisfied with this small change to the Hobbit for big results .

#6383 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If coils look okay. Open the metal box on the floor of the cabinet with the boards inside and check the power supply board.

The coils look good. The only thing that looks off to me is the component in the pic attached. It looks like a part of the plastic is melted, but not sure. As bad as it smelled I expected to find something burnt to a crisp.

546FF70A-3589-4B8B-A752-67B1C5E70871 (resized).jpeg546FF70A-3589-4B8B-A752-67B1C5E70871 (resized).jpegD0917F6A-AFA9-4351-B6A7-71BC62195993 (resized).jpegD0917F6A-AFA9-4351-B6A7-71BC62195993 (resized).jpeg
#6384 5 years ago
Quoted from Brog319:

The only thing that looks off to me is the component in the pic attached.

Keep an eye on it.

Everything looks okay.

#6385 5 years ago

Thanks. Should I leave the cover off and pf up while I turn it on and let it run awhile?

The smell was so bad I figure something has to be wrong with it.

#6386 5 years ago
Quoted from Brog319:

Should I leave the cover off and pf up while I turn it on and let it run awhile?

Wouldn't hurt for a little bit. Maybe see something or feel something getting hot.

#6387 5 years ago

Would Hobbit be considered a loud game with all those drops, if the music was turned down?

#6388 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Would Hobbit be considered a loud game with all those drops, if the music was turned down?

It's definitely not quiet .

#6389 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Uh, yes. Scared the heck out of me the first time I turned it on. Thought I broke every part in the game at first.

#6390 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You can always come over and decide if it’s too loud in person.

#6391 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Only a couple modes are loud out of the 31

#6392 5 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

You can always come over and decide if it’s too loud in person.

I may take you up on that!

#6393 5 years ago

Had my best game yet and tilted during stage 3 of Into the Fire while on ball 3 lol. It was great to hear callouts to let you know what stage you are in and for the jackpot shot being ready. The mode itself is much more immersive then I remember it being in the past. I haven't had that much fun in a pinball mode since playing Destroy the Ring in LOTR. The amount of content in TH continues to amaze as does the level of polish the game has received over the past year.

#6394 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Oh god yes. Don’t ever take the glass off with the game on!

#6395 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I don't think so.

I checked the files and it seems like it has all the items that would be included with the back up. When I unzip the file it gets named jjpe I attached a picture of the misc folder

15481211043681769631683228821839 (resized).jpg15481211043681769631683228821839 (resized).jpg
#6396 5 years ago

Hey guys,

Did anyone notice after updating to 3.10 that the kickback isn't giving you the ball back as much as it did in 3.00? Seems like a much hard game now.

Thanks,
Ted

#6397 5 years ago

I read somewhere, if you were having a problem with the VUK's getting the ball to the top of the wire guide successfully, you needed to rebuild the VUK. Can not find that post. Can someone give me the guidance?
Thx

#6398 5 years ago

Are early Hobbit pinball machines reliable? I am looking at trading my AFM SE for a Hobbit. I found one for sale at a reasonable price (pending negotiations) near me. It is a HUO LE. I am considering selling my AFM SE outright to fund this purchase. My question is, this machine was a pre-order of the original batch and one of the first off the assembly line floor. The machine is very low play and likely has old code. I have not seen it in person yet. I wanted to know if there was anything I should look out for on an older Hobbit. Thanks and looking forward to joining the club soon!

#6399 5 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Are early Hobbit pinball machines reliable? I am looking at trading my AFM SE for a Hobbit. I found one for sale at a reasonable price (pending negotiations) near me. It is a HUO LE. I am considering selling my AFM SE outright to fund this purchase. My question is, this machine was a pre-order of the original batch and one of the first off the assembly line floor. The machine is very low play and likely has old code. I have not seen it in person yet. I wanted to know if there was anything I should look out for on an older Hobbit. Thanks and looking forward to joining the club soon!

Yes, they are just as reliable as the latest games assuming the proper hardware fix updates have been done. They consisted of the following. I would ask the owner if they did these unless they were done from the factory. If they were not done JJP will likely send you the update kit for free.

1. Spacers in beast mech area to prevent balls from getting stuck when beast mechs close
2. Springs replaced on all drop targets
3. Ramp flaps replaced with blue steel flaps, the older ones are prone to curling
4. Post installed at far left rail (leads to kick back) to prevent ball from falling off or rail replaced entirely with updated rail.

#6400 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yes, they are just as reliable as the latest games assuming the proper hardware fix updates have been done. They consisted of the following. I would ask the owner if they did these unless they were done from the factory. If they were not done JJP will likely send you the update kit for free.
1. Spacers in beast mech area to prevent balls from getting stuck when beast mechs close
2. Springs replaced on all drop targets
3. Ramp flaps replaced with blue steel flaps, the older ones are prone to curling
4. Post installed at far left rail (leads to kick back) to prevent ball from falling off or rail replaced entirely with updated rail.

There is also a new rail that can be purchased for the left side if you don't want to add a post.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 128 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/128?hl=chrislix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.