IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,996 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 260.
#6301 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you do this, I'd try a new download of the ISO too. Maybe your download was corrupted ?
LTG : )

I'm installing 3.1 right now, will report back

#6302 5 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

Thanks for the clip! Just a few hundred more games and you'd have enough tickets to get an MP3 Player!!!!

I'm cashing them all out for spider rings!!!

#6303 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I’ll post some later today. I replaced the posts with clear ones as well. However, the bottom flippers are using green and the top right is using red.

011F829E-2445-491A-82B4-58AEEFB268AD (resized).jpeg011F829E-2445-491A-82B4-58AEEFB268AD (resized).jpeg453EA986-ECE7-4972-BE79-5B34AD1EA569 (resized).jpeg453EA986-ECE7-4972-BE79-5B34AD1EA569 (resized).jpeg705F3077-E0AF-4671-A45D-B10441ED1924 (resized).jpeg705F3077-E0AF-4671-A45D-B10441ED1924 (resized).jpeg93F26E35-21C0-4BF4-AA84-117BDBCA01B4 (resized).jpeg93F26E35-21C0-4BF4-AA84-117BDBCA01B4 (resized).jpeg
#6304 5 years ago

3.1 installed flawlessly.

http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/TheHobbit-v03.10.iso

tools used:

BACK UP YOUR SETTINGS FIRST !!!!
Restore your settings after the update.
This iso update erases everything and reverts the game to factory settings.

I use a separate USB flash drive to backup my settings. Write what they are for on them with a marker, store in the coin box.

kingston 8gb USB 3 Data Traveler USB drive.
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-DataTraveler-DTSE9G2-8GB/dp/B00SOL9ZH6/ref=sr_1_6

windows 10 64 bit.

Unetbootin utility to make a bootable flash drive.
https://unetbootin.github.io/

If you have trouble getting unetbootin to work right, use Rufus:
https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.4/rufus-3.4.exe

It does the same thing but can be more stable, especially with larger iso files above 4.7gb.

Follow the instructions in the service manual.
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/Hobbit_Manual%203_4%20November%202018.pdf

Another perfect update!

#6305 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

3.1 installed flawlessly.
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/TheHobbit-v03.10.iso
tools used:
BACK UP YOUR SETTINGS FIRST !!!!
Restore your settings after the update.
This iso update erases everything and reverts the game to factory settings.
I use a separate USB flash drive to backup my settings. Write what they are for on them with a marker, store in the coin box.
amazon.com link »
windows 10 64 bit.
Unetbootin utility to make a bootable flash drive.
https://unetbootin.github.io/
Followed the instructions in the service manual.
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/Hobbit_Manual%203_4%20November%202018.pdf
Another perfect update!

just did mine last night - I hadn't updated since 2.997 and I caught a lot of subtle lighting changes! awesome!

I second the call for "Rufus" - UNetBootIn didn't work for me either (first time that's been a problem)

#6306 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

just did mine last night - I hadn't updated since 2.997 and I caught a lot of subtle lighting changes! awesome!
I second the call for "Rufus" - UNetBootIn didn't work for me either (first time that's been a problem)

Yes, Rufus is a great and probably better program, but I try to use what is says in the manual first.
Then go into the alternatives.

#6307 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have used both and I prefer Rufus after using it for 3.10

#6308 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I have used both and I prefer Rufus after using it for 3.10

I made a quick edit above.

Get Rufus here:
https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releases/download/v3.4/rufus-3.4.exe

#6309 5 years ago

Some of these games don't like USB 3, try USB 2 if you have a problem.

#6310 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Some of these games don't like USB 3, try USB 2 if you have a problem.

My Hobbit is pretty early production and a couple other brand USB 3 drives let me down.
Also a few 4gb USB 2 drives also let me down.

Super Talent 4 and 8gb USB 2 drives are old school and always work.
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Talent-NST1-Flash-Drive/dp/B079P2C6VD/ref=sr_1_18

The kingston drives have really good backwards compatabilty.
My USB 3 kingston data traveler works on my Hobbit as well as my early build WOZ.

The data traveler is an older type but still available for a low price at amazon.
I bought 6 of them.

I think that because they are a little older tech they seem to work better.

#6311 5 years ago

Updated mine to 3.1 tonight. What can I say. Another layer of polish has been added to this game. Some of the lightening affects are amazing. I don’t think any other pin has the grunt to replicate this. Unfortunately I forgot to save my scores prior to update. However the game feels harder and different from the last update. Seems to drain more on the outlanes. Well done JJP!

#6312 5 years ago

Just played a few games on my Hobbit.

Smooth as butter!

ZERO crashes during smaug multiball. I started 8 multiballs over 3 games, and killed smaug with the help of a load the windlance call out.

Its just wonderful.

I love the new call outs and sound enhancements and display features like ITF and barrel escape scores on the big screeen.
A great feeling of accomplishment.

Smaug interaction is wonderful and the end of game fire effect is stunning as usual.

The lighting effects are amazing and perfectly choreographed without being a distraction from the goals at hand.

The call outs are purposeful and meaningful to the player. They come on exactly when you need them.

The game is near perfection!

A few more discrete call outs in barrel escape and bofa would be nice, to help guide you on the journey. The small screen has the info but its impossible to read it during a 5 ball multiball. Just couple pointers here and there. Something like "save 15 party members" or a basic instruction for each tier would be nice.

Anyone on the fence about 3.1 code is really missing out.

#6313 5 years ago

Yea I have played probably 40 games on 3.10 and no bugs. Nice work!

#6314 5 years ago

Sound bug still there in 3.10. I've had mine on for about 11 hours and the sound just totally died. Power off/on and back to normal again. LTG

#6315 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Sound bug still there in 3.10.

Post on the WOZ forum for Ted.

#6316 5 years ago

WOW! Holy crap! I added a subwoofer to The Hobbit and I can't ever go back now. This is a MUST HAVE mod for this game! It is like when I went from stereo to surround sound in our home theater. It's that good. Okay...I'm done. Still waiting on the download to finish, then more Hobbit! Still my favorite pin.

#6317 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Post on the WOZ forum for Ted.

Is that the one on google groups? Or do you mean WOZ thread here on pin side.

#6318 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Sound bug still there in 3.10. I've had mine on for about 11 hours and the sound just totally died. Power off/on and back to normal again. ltg

Is this happening to other similar build games?

Maybe it's a problem with the sound system hardware?

My game is an early build and doesn't do this.

#6319 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Is that the one on google groups?

Yes.

#6320 5 years ago

Is this happening to other similar build games?
Maybe it's a problem with the sound system hardware?
My game is an early build and doesn't do this.

How do we replicate this bug? Just leave the game on for a long time?

#6321 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How do we replicate this bug? Just leave the game on for a long time?

I guess so, at least over 11 hours?

#6322 5 years ago

Just updated to 3.1 played a quick game noticed the new lighting effects , it just keeps getting better . Great job jjp .

#6323 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Just updated to 3.1 played a quick game noticed the new lighting effects , it just keeps getting better . Great job jjp .

Completely agree and they added in some new hurry ups to boot.

The Hobbit has really become one of the most underrated masterpieces in pinball. If you like a journey, a machine that tells a story, one of the greatest wizard modes ever (Battle of Five Armies), or one of the greatest shots ever (killing Smaug), this machine will never leave a collection. I can understand it isn't for everyone. It's not really about scoring points or just having a quick brutal game. It is about the theme integration. Would almost like to see the Top 100 broken up into themes/genres. This one has to be in the top for playing through a journey. While I love AFMr or even The Munsters, it isn't the same thing.

#6324 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

If you like a journey...

This is spot on. I grew up in the Pinball age. I then transitioned into the video/computer game era and for many years that was “my thing”. Recently, I have returned to pinball but I still like the journey of a video game. I probably favor pinball that is a journey as it is like a video game but with a ball and flippers rather than a game controller.

I still like other machines that are less of a journey as I have an Ironman, walking dead, MNF, etc. which are not a journey like most jersey jack machines, but I tend to favor the deeper, longer games. Long ball times don’t bother me when playing by myself. If I want a quick game, I go to other machines.

For me, it’s great to have a balance. It’s great for all to have variety and choices. Everyone wins.

#6325 5 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Completely agree and they added in some new hurry ups to boot.
The Hobbit has really become one of the most underrated masterpieces in pinball. If you like a journey, a machine that tells a story, one of the greatest wizard modes ever (Battle of Five Armies), or one of the greatest shots ever (killing Smaug), this machine will never leave a collection. I can understand it isn't for everyone. It's not really about scoring points or just having a quick brutal game. It is about the theme integration. Would almost like to see the Top 100 broken up into themes/genres. This one has to be in the top for playing through a journey. While I love AFMr or even The Munsters, it isn't the same thing.

If there was a category for theme integration and overall immersion in gameplay this would have to be number one .

#6326 5 years ago

They should wipe all hobbit ratings that were pre 3.0. It’s a completely different game now.

#6327 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

They should wipe all hobbit ratings that were pre 3.0. It’s a completely different game now.

That is definitely true but a good number of games fall into that category. Initial release not so good, final product awesome. The walking dead which I own is similar.

Hobbit may be one of the biggest turnarounds but it is not alone. Many will still criticize the ball times, the questionable use of upper flipper, etc.

I love the machine but I am also glad I have variety.

#6328 5 years ago

Played some games on 3.1 yesterday, just incredible! I set a new high score and then realized I turned off high scores versus turning off daily high scores lol.

Any else have an issue with their Smaug mouth not moving after 3.0 and 3.1? I had to go into the menu and make a few adjustments to the dragon mouth min and max settings. After making the setting changes the mouth moves again but I never had to do that prior to 3.0.

#6329 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

If there was a category for theme integration and overall immersion in gameplay this would have to be number one .

I would put Alien at #1 for immersion - but Hobbit is a close 2nd. Hobbit is a less stressful, lighter immersion in comparison however... I love them both!

Quoted from Crile1:

WOW! Holy crap! I added a subwoofer to The Hobbit and I can't ever go back now. This is a MUST HAVE mod for this game! It is like when I went from stereo to surround sound in our home theater. It's that good. Okay...I'm done.

That's pretty much my reaction after adding a sub to every game - it's usually the first thing I do.

#6330 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Sound bug still there in 3.10. I've had mine on for about 11 hours and the sound just totally died. Power off/on and back to normal again. ltg

Is there a chance that someone hit the "mute" button on the coin door? I know I've done it accidentally myself.
--Ted

#6331 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

Is there a chance that someone hit the "mute" button on the coin door? I know I've done it accidentally myself.
--Ted

Ahhh that MIGHT be it. I turned my pin on again at 8am this morning, I'll let you know if it happens again. It was right after one of my kids had played, so that is possible. Thanks Ted!

Also how do I get access to the google group forum (WOZ forum?)

#6332 5 years ago

Loving the subtle changes in the new code. Had a great (long) game last night - put up 4.2mil and got to Into the Fire a second time...no issues. I really like the lighting effects at the base of Smaug and how it changes depending on if you have mode or lock lit (I believe that's how it works) - Very cool. Glad the fire effects are back again too.

#6333 5 years ago

The only issue I have is that upper flipper. It feels very inconsistent to me. Most of the times it either hits the left ramp or goes well south of the DWARF targets. Any adjustments anyone can recommend for it? I've tried changing the strength up and down, and it only seems to make it worse.

#6334 5 years ago

Installed and played the new code last night. I love that the Smaug fire effects are back at the end of the game.

I also really like the total score for an archenstone mode is displayed once it ends. That's pretty cool.

I didn't notice much of anything else. What are you guys noticing?

#6335 5 years ago

What Extra Ball settings do you guys play with? With a game as deep as this I want to turn some on without feeling like I'm "cheating" too much.

#6336 5 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

What Extra Ball settings do you guys play with? With a game as deep as this I want to turn some on without feeling like I'm "cheating" too much.

I leave mine factory. Don't cheat!!!!

#6337 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Any else have an issue with their Smaug mouth not moving after 3.0 and 3.1? I had to go into the menu and make a few adjustments to the dragon mouth min and max settings. After making the setting changes the mouth moves again but I never had to do that prior to 3.0.

Yes. My dragon mouth is not moving. What settings did you put it at?

#6338 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

What settings did you put it at?

Mine are 120 and 100, works fine.

#6339 5 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I bought mine used. Came with Xtra ball at 200k, 400k, 800k and 1,600k. Not sure if that is factory or not.

#6340 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I bought mine used. Came with Xtra ball at 200k, 400k, 800k and 1,600k. Not sure if that is factory or not.

You can look at the settings and anything green is default. Anything red has been changed from the default.

#6341 5 years ago

"Cheat" all you want, it's your game, have some fun. The Hobbit is one of the most adjustable pins ever created. Take advantage and make the game play the way you want it to play.

#6342 5 years ago

I use only 3 balls as well - but get an extra ball at score intervals. What those intervals are I won't say

#6343 5 years ago

So I'm still on 2.99 code.... is there a huge difference between that and 3.10

#6344 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

is there a huge difference between that and 3.10

Read the change log on the download site.

#6345 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Read the change log on the download site.

I have but wanted thoughts bc the log just says main stuff mostly...

#6346 5 years ago

Why would you not want the latest and greatest? It's not just added features, it is also bug fixes.

#6347 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

It’s stable, you have the vast majority of gameplay changes but there are some additional light effects which are cool, and some very minor mode changes and bug fixes

#6348 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I’m sure JJP wouldn’t bother spending the time to create these updates if they didn't feel it would be worthwhile. The difference isn’t ‘huge’ but 3.10 is better than 2.99. It’s a no-brainer.

#6349 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

--Ted

13 hours and no issue. Mute button it is!

#6350 5 years ago

Just played a kick-ass game of 3.10.

What a game!!!!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,996 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/127?hl=celofane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.