20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 124 of 260.
#6151 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I know there are different kinds of stainless steel. I didn't know any could rust. Thank you.
LTG : )

I worked in the metal fab industry for 10 years. Yep! You can't always trust the certs or that the alloy is not contaminated. Totally depends on the manufacturer of course. We had problems with 304 SS from China rusting. It is also possible to contaminate the stainless steel during fabrication by mixing cutting or grinding tools used on mild steel previously (which is probably the case here).

#6152 5 years ago

After the 3.0 update my upper left flash light is continuously flashing in attract mode, is this the way it should be or Is there any fix that I need to do?, See video of the light in attract mode.

#6153 5 years ago
Quoted from Jireteg:

After the 3.0 update my upper left flash light is continuously flashing in attract mode, is this the way it should be or Is there any fix that I need to do?, See video of the light in attract mode.

No it should not do that - loose connection or failing bulb swap bulbs and see if behavior changes

#6154 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

No it should not do that - loose connection or failing bulb swap bulbs and see if behavior changes

Thanks, It is actually more than one, but when I looked now more closely 2 of the 4 spotlight bulbs were black, can this be the problem. Have new bulbs coming and are going to test with all 4 working. Connections is ok. When I test these lights in the led test they blink slowly both when testing solid light and flashing.
When I move the working ones on the left side to the right side it is the same flashing.

#6155 5 years ago
Quoted from Jireteg:

Thanks, It is actually more than one, but when I looked now more closely 2 of the 4 spotlight bulbs were black, can this be the problem. Have new bulbs coming and are going to test with all 4 working. Connections is ok. When I test these lights in the led test they blink slowly both when testing solid light and flashing.
When I move the working ones on the left side to the right side it is the same flashing.

All I can say is my game does not flash at all these to my knowledge are on or off. Something is off but I can't be of much help.

#6156 5 years ago

Hello,
I have 2 little troubles with my Hobbit. Maybe someone could give me a tips on how to solve them

1) Since a few days, my Orc randomly seems to hesitate before popping up. (see at 0:04 & 0:13)
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au8iWRzg08HDpE5MkuFtMOQW72_T

2) This one happens less often and it started exactly since I've upgraded to 3.0 1 month ago. At the beginning of a ball, as soon as the ball arrive in the launcher, the skillshot is selected automatically and the autolaunch kick the ball immediately. Any other people have seen this after upgrading to 3.0?

Thanks

#6157 5 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I worked in the metal fab industry for 10 years. Yep! You can't always trust the certs or that the alloy is not contaminated. Totally depends on the manufacturer of course. We had problems with 304 SS from China rusting. It is also possible to contaminate the stainless steel during fabrication by mixing cutting or grinding tools used on mild steel previously (which is probably the case here).

That's right. Rust can become visible when the manufacturer (typically Chinese) cuts corners and doesn't use the minimum amount of Chromium needed, or if the alloy has too many impurities, interfering with the film that prevents rust from forming on the top surface.

#6158 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisLIX:

2) This one happens less often and it started exactly since I've upgraded to 3.0 1 month ago. At the beginning of a ball, as soon as the ball arrive in the launcher, the skillshot is selected automatically and the autolaunch kick the ball immediately. Any other people have seen this after upgrading to 3.0?
Thanks

I think I may recall having seen something about checking your switch matrix - seeing if anything is triggered on the playfield when it shouldn't be. Not sure about this but I seem to recall that certain switch triggers (shorted? misadjusted?) can cause this behavior. I'd suspect the game may mistakenly think something is in play and launch the ball for you.

#6159 5 years ago

Small problem with my Orc head topper(the flat piece on top of the pop up that lays flat when he closes). The topper piece most of the time is not closing all of the way down when the orc goes down, it remains open a few millimeters, but enough where the ball won't roll over the spot smoothly and will damage it.

I'm hoping someone on here has experience with this and how to fix it. Not sure if it is a problem with the spring needing adjustment or if there is a broken part. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#6160 5 years ago
Quoted from elf70:

I think I may recall having seen something about checking your switch matrix - seeing if anything is triggered on the playfield when it shouldn't be. Not sure about this but I seem to recall that certain switch triggers (shorted? misadjusted?) can cause this behavior. I'd suspect the game may mistakenly think something is in play and launch the ball for you.

Hello,

It happened 1 time yesterday. Here's the event log that show exactly the scenario. Looks like an ELF Skillshot but I have check the matrix switches and I never saw an unattended switch activation...
Will wait the next time to see if it happens again on ELF skillshot autoselection or if it's random with any SS.

IMG_20190107_185610~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20190107_185610~2 (resized).jpg
#6161 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisLIX:

Hello,

1) Since a few days, my Orc randomly seems to hesitate before popping up. (see at 0:04 & 0:13)
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Au8iWRzg08HDpE5MkuFtMOQW72_T

Thanks

I have a similar issue with mine on the goblin. Curious to see what people suggest here for a fix...

#6162 5 years ago
Quoted from Jcaurnend:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quoted from joelbob:

Curious to see what people suggest here for a fix...

Lower the screw/rubber stopper at the bottom of the assembly.

#6163 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Lower the screw/rubber stopper at the bottom of the assembly.

LTG, same solution for 2 differents problem? One is refering to the monster cover not falling flush with the playfield and the other one is refering only to the monster hesitating to popping up.
Just want to be sure before playing with that thx

#6164 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisLIX:

same solution for 2 differents problem? One is refering to the monster cover not falling flush with the playfield and the other one is refering only to the monster hesitating to popping up.

Lower the plunger for cover, raise the plunger for popping up better.

#6165 5 years ago

My left VUK more often than not takes two and sometimes three attempts to successfully kick the ball up through the wire form. On failed attempts it will kick up about halfway then fall back below playfield. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

#6166 5 years ago
Quoted from Brog319:

My left VUK more often than not takes two and sometimes three attempts to successfully kick the ball up through the wire form. On failed attempts it will kick up about halfway then fall back below playfield. Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

Raise the power 1 or 2 in the settings, for that coil.

#6167 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Raise the power 1 or 2 in the settings, for that coil.

Thanks, I’ll try that. I just assumed it wasn’t a power issue because it does eventually push it back onto playfield. Thought it might be some sort of alignment issue. Will try raising power first and see what happens.

#6168 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to get to “There and back again”?

B661D69C-38B9-4E15-92C8-18F02665EB91 (resized).jpegB661D69C-38B9-4E15-92C8-18F02665EB91 (resized).jpeg
#6169 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Can anyone tell me how to get to “There and back again”?
[quoted image]

YouTube it. Chuckwart of stdm did it. Pretty much just play every mode. Only have to beat 3 for the 3 wizard modes.

#6170 5 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

YouTube it. Chuckwart of stdm did it. Pretty much just play every mode. Only have to beat 3 for the 3 wizard modes.

Oh nice. That’s a cake walk! Lol!

#6171 5 years ago

How about barrel kicks? I never seem to get any. How do you collect?

#6172 5 years ago
Quoted from Brog319:

Thanks, I’ll try that. I just assumed it wasn’t a power issue because it does eventually push it back onto playfield. Thought it might be some sort of alignment issue. Will try raising power first and see what happens.

Check under the PF that the kicker is aligned properly too - some people have had issues where it’s slipped a little bit and the clearance for the ball is really tight. Realigning it will open it up better

#6173 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Check under the PF that the kicker is aligned properly too - some people have had issues where it’s slipped a little bit and the clearance for the ball is really tight. Realigning it will open it up better

Will do, thanks

#6174 5 years ago

Whats a Smaug version worth nowadays? Probably 2 dozen plays on it.

#6175 5 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Whats a Smaug version worth nowadays? Probably 2 dozen plays on it.

I think HUO Smaugs top out at 7K. Maybe with plays that low 7,200 ish.

I have seen them as low as 6500 if the owner is trying to sell it as quick as possible. So 6500 to 7200 range depending on condition and play count. NIB is around 8.5 to 9K

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6176 5 years ago

I am considering Hobbit and Dialed In for my next pin. I have found a lot of discussion about comparison of these two pins, but it was all pre 3.0. So, for those of you in this thread that have 3.0 hobbit experience and Dialed In experience, what would you choose and why? This would be my 2nd pin for my collection, I currently own JJP POTC LE. (which I love)

#6177 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I am considering Hobbit and Dialed In for my next pin. I have found a lot of discussion about comparison of these two pins, but it was all pre 3.0. So, for those of you in this thread that have 3.0 hobbit experience and Dialed In experience, what would you choose and why? This would be my 2nd pin for my collection, I currently own JJP POTC LE. (which I love)

Hobbit and Dialed In are very different games.
I would put a few games on both and then decide.

#6178 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I am considering Hobbit and Dialed In for my next pin. [...] This would be my 2nd pin for my collection, I currently own JJP POTC LE.

I have Hobbit, Dialed In and POTC. Compared to POTC I find Hobbit to feel the most similar in play style, so for variety's sake in a small collection I would recommend Dialed In.

#6179 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I can't tell you much about Dialed In (only played it a handful of times), but I can say that Hobbit is incredible. I was recently looking to sell mine but I just couldn't once I played 3.0. The game has great depth and is a fun journey to play.

I'm actually on the hunt for a Dialed In and POTC....and WOZ (again). JJP pins are just so far and above others, it's hard for me to buy a Stern or a CGC remake. $8000 for a MBr when you can buy a POTC for $1500 more? Seems like an easy choice.

Anywho....if it were my choice, I would take a Hobbit over Dialed In.

#6180 5 years ago

I love DI and plan to buy one someday. I wouldn’t trade my Hobbit for one though.

#6181 5 years ago

I have both - and.. yeah, they are very different games. If you like Pat Lawlor's games where they are fun to shoot, have lots of combos, and are mode-based, but not terribly deep - then that's DI. Awesome, very fun, amazing game. DI is PACKED with mechs and the type of mechanical, physical stuff that sets pinball apart from video games.

Hobbit is a journey - I don't mean a slog, where you're chopping wood - but it is *very* immersive. Dialed In is similar to playing a really fun video game (lots of video game influence with the bosses, health meters, etc) - while the Hobbit feels like you are IN the game.

It has 30-something modes, which is at least double the next game (Houdini), AFAIK. THey are all fun, and they are all really clever. The modes which come available a bit later on in the game use the monster mechs extra effectively: when you are in a battle, you are bashing into them to fight off the attack, whilst still trying to make regular shots. Other times the monsters are used as barriers to change the playfield and force you to re-think your available shots. AND THEN there is this diverter which comes out of nowhere on the ramps, and makes the ball come flying back at you in a very tight turn (similar to the Star Wars Tie Fighter shot [i think]). That is awesome when that happens.

Add to that actual callouts from the game, a Gandalf sound-alike, tons of actual music from the films... and a bunch of very fun wizard modes. Oh, and killing Smaug. Not even the Master Magician mode, nor is it the "end" of the game, but it is amazing when you do it.

Previous criticisms of the game included that it would get super long (this was true), the multiballs were coming up too often (also true), the playfield is "wide open" (I disagree on this because of the phenomenal use of the monster mechs, and the fact that a lot of the game mechs are placed at the far outer edges of the PF but still do their jobs just as well as if they were in the middle)... and it generally just wasn't as fun as it probably could be. I agreed with that after a while. UNTIL 3.0 came out. Holy crap.

I sold my Hobbit last year - just bought it back. And I am now getting ready to sell DI (which I really enjoy, just not *quite* as much). Hope that helps.

#6182 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Hobbit and Dialed In are very different games.
I would put a few games on both and then decide.

Thanks, I have played both and like both. But I always enjoy hearing others thoughts as well. Sometimes I overthink it, and it helps to hear what others experienced!

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have both - and.. yeah, they are very different games. If you like Pat Lawlor's games where they are fun to shoot, have lots of combos, and are mode-based, but not terribly deep - then that's DI. Awesome, very fun, amazing game. DI is PACKED with mechs and the type of mechanical, physical stuff that sets pinball apart from video games.
Hobbit is a journey - I don't mean a slog, where you're chopping wood - but it is *very* immersive. Dialed In is similar to playing a really fun video game (lots of video game influence with the bosses, health meters, etc) - while the Hobbit feels like you are IN the game.
It has 30-something modes, which is at least double the next game (Houdini), AFAIK. THey are all fun, and they are all really clever. The modes which come available a bit later on in the game use the monster mechs extra effectively: when you are in a battle, you are bashing into them to fight off the attack, whilst still trying to make regular shots. Other times the monsters are used as barriers to change the playfield and force you to re-think your available shots. AND THEN there is this diverter which comes out of nowhere on the ramps, and makes the ball come flying back at you in a very tight turn (similar to the Star Wars Tie Fighter shot [i think]). That is awesome when that happens.
Add to that actual callouts from the game, a Gandalf sound-alike, tons of actual music from the films... and a bunch of very fun wizard modes. Oh, and killing Smaug. Not even the Master Magician mode, nor is it the "end" of the game, but it is amazing when you do it.
Previous criticisms of the game included that it would get super long (this was true), the multiballs were coming up too often (also true), the playfield is "wide open" (I disagree on this because of the phenomenal use of the monster mechs, and the fact that a lot of the game mechs are placed at the far outer edges of the PF but still do their jobs just as well as if they were in the middle)... and it generally just wasn't as fun as it probably could be. I agreed with that after a while. UNTIL 3.0 came out. Holy crap.
I sold my Hobbit last year - just bought it back. And I am now getting ready to sell DI (which I really enjoy, just not *quite* as much). Hope that helps.

This is VERY helpful thank you. For me, DI feels very fun, the shots are very satisfying, a lot going on, and while I originally hated the theme, I now really like it. It's super quirky and fun. I agree hobbit to me felt much deeper in ruleset and mode etc. POTC is great, but can be very mean on ball drains. It also is very multi ball heavy, and the chapters are nice in that they spread out shots over the field.

For me I'd like my 2nd game to be "different" from POTC. Ideally, something that is a bit "nicer" on the ball drains (helps with kids and wife!), so longer ball times is a plus. I'd also like something that is less multi ball, with more "shooter" fun where you have to hit certain things. There is no doubt the theme integration on hobbit is phenomenal. Did 3.0 decrease the amount of multiballs? If not I'd fear it is too similar to POTC in that regard. Hobbit seems like it would be an "adventure" with lots of specific shots needed to progress, where as you said, DI is more about the modes and the very satisfying shots you can make, along with the great quirky theme.

So, you can see why I'm torn! I want a game that is different than POTC, a change of pace, with a bit longer ball times.

#6183 5 years ago

Ive got the solution. Sell me your pirates and then you can buy Hobbit AND Dialed In!

#6184 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Ive got the solution. Sell me your pirates and then you can buy Hobbit AND Dialed In!

Hah unfortunately that doesn't work out from a $$$ standpoint :p

#6185 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Thanks, I have played both and like both. But I always enjoy hearing others thoughts as well. Sometimes I overthink it, and it helps to hear what others experienced!

This is VERY helpful thank you. For me, DI feels very fun, the shots are very satisfying, a lot going on, and while I originally hated the theme, I now really like it. It's super quirky and fun. I agree hobbit to me felt much deeper in ruleset and mode etc. POTC is great, but can be very mean on ball drains. It also is very multi ball heavy, and the chapters are nice in that they spread out shots over the field.
For me I'd like my 2nd game to be "different" from POTC. Ideally, something that is a bit "nicer" on the ball drains (helps with kids and wife!), so longer ball times is a plus. I'd also like something that is less multi ball, with more "shooter" fun where you have to hit certain things. There is no doubt the theme integration on hobbit is phenomenal. Did 3.0 decrease the amount of multiballs? If not I'd fear it is too similar to POTC in that regard. Hobbit seems like it would be an "adventure" with lots of specific shots needed to progress, where as you said, DI is more about the modes and the very satisfying shots you can make, along with the great quirky theme.
So, you can see why I'm torn! I want a game that is different than POTC, a change of pace, with a bit longer ball times.

One of the best changes to the Hobbit was a setting change that made it so Smaug Multiball couldn't be stacked with Beast multiball, saved a lot on the chaos of multiball after multiball. Multiball comes when you want it now.

#6186 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

One of the best changes to the Hobbit was a setting change that made it so Smaug Multiball couldn't be stacked with Beast multiball, saved a lot on the chaos of multiball after multiball. Multiball comes when you want it now.

Excellent!!

I know this pin has music from the movies, does anyone know if it has the “misty mountains cold” song at any point or during any mode? It’s my wife’s favorite.

#6187 5 years ago

Hobbit is just getting better and better. I just played a great game only scored 800K but the modes are so much more to fun to play and it is very easy to understand what to shoot for. The sounds ,lights and screen footage are second to none.

#6188 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I couldn’t agree more. I love that setting. I hated beast and Smaug stacking. Really took away from both of them.

#6189 5 years ago

The family said the Hobbit looked lonely without a topper, so they surprised me with this!

20190109_211022 (resized).jpg20190109_211022 (resized).jpg
#6190 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Hm, I was going to say get DI until you said longer ball times. Hobbit naturally has longer ball times because of the widebody playfield. I haven't played POTC enough to really get to know its shots and ball times, but it kinda sounds like you should go for DI. Really hard call though

#6191 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

The family said the Hobbit looked lonely without a topper, so they surprised me with this![quoted image]

Consider yourself extraordinarily lucky I have never had this happen ever in my life. My wife once forgot to get me something for christmas until the day before, and only because my son reminded her. LOL

#6192 5 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Hobbit is just getting better and better. I just played a great game only scored 800K but the modes are so much more to fun to play and it is very easy to understand what to shoot for. The sounds ,lights and screen footage are second to none.

seconded. I also have a Houdini which has a lot of similarities to Hobbit in this way - the modes are REALLY fun, and complicated but not out of control - however Houdini is still really rough around the edges. There is all this complaining about the shots being "bad geometry" (which is complete BS), but it is true they need a lot of work on the animations and transitions, and whole package. Just tweaks, mind you, it will happen. Since Hobbit is another whole level now, it's not fair to compare...

#6193 5 years ago

I have the hobbit and love it, bought a DI and sold it after 2 months. DI is a great shooter and the shots are smooth and all the modes are fun to play through. The reason why I sold it was something was missing compared to the Hobbit, just didn’t have that feeling like I was in the game. I put over 500 games on DI and was ready to move on but the game was fun, shot good, just was missing that wow factor. On a side note I just bought WOZ.

#6194 5 years ago

The new 3.0 code on my THLE has completely changed the game for me. It truly plays like you’re in the movie. And the new voiceover callouts have helped me a ton to keep me focused because this is one of those games that requires guidance, focus and patience. Such a phenomenal game and so proud of what the JJP team has done to make this game what it has become. Hope they are proud, too.

#6195 5 years ago

I’m sold.

#6196 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I owned and sold WOZ. Still love the game but we decided to try other pins. For me, Dialed In is a solid game to play on location. I don't want to own it because I don't like the generic theme. Someday, I'll own a Hobbit, and it'll be a keeper for life. Probably put over 100 games on it on location, love it. The theme is awesome, probably the best overall theme integration of any pin in existence.

#6197 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

All I can say is my game does not flash at all these to my knowledge are on or off. Something is off but I can't be of much help.

Fixed, It was due to 2 of 4 bulbs that we’re dead, with new bulbs they are lit solid and not flashing.

#6198 5 years ago

Joined the club and Hobbit will be my 2nd pin. Arrives tomorrow!

#6199 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

That's awesome! We play our hobbit most, second only to our Metallica. It's such a great game. You'll love it.

#6200 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Did you buy a new one from a distributor?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
There are 12,956 posts in this topic. You are on page 124 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/124?hl=joelbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.