IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 119 of 260.
#5901 5 years ago

Mine did not reboot. Only both screens go dark. It happened once sofar just 5 minutes after the 3.0 software update. Since then the game has been on for about 30 minutes. I can only play an hour a day since my days are rather full of all kinds of "distractions".
I expect this problem to reoccur since once you have a problem in a pinball it NEVER goes away by itself from my experience.

#5902 5 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Mine did not reboot. Only both screens go dark. It happened once sofar just 5 minutes after the 3.0 software update.

Can you clarify please?

Your Version 3.0 update worked fine, correct?

You get blank screens when?

#5903 5 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Mine did not reboot. Only both screens go dark. It happened once sofar just 5 minutes after the 3.0 software update. Since then the game has been on for about 30 minutes. I can only play an hour a day since my days are rather full of all kinds of "distractions".
I expect this problem to reoccur since once you have a problem in a pinball it NEVER goes away by itself from my experience.

Weirdness sometimes occurs the first boot after a big change.

Rebooting a few times will "bed" in the changes.

Software changes also affect hardware as sometimes the hardware is being used differently.

#5904 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Can you clarify please?
Your Version 3.0 update worked fine, correct?
You get blank screens when?

3.0 works fine.
I got 2 blank screens just a few minutes after I updated from 2,99 to 3.0. After the update the game was in attract mode for a few minutes. After that I entered the menu and made some adjustments. While doing so suddenly both screens went blank. All the rest was still working.
I switched the machine off, waited 1 minute and turned it on again. Both screens back to normal.

#5905 5 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

While doing so suddenly both screens went blank.

oooh. Never heard that one before.

My observation (from reading comments) is that so far, screens do not go blank while playing the game.

#5906 5 years ago

I am a newish owner of a routed Hobbit and had a few questions for owners.

1. The game cannot lower one of the DWARF targets. It remains up even when resetting the bank or during DWARF skill shot. I haven't had time to look under the play field at the drop target mech.
2. Why does my spider not raise all the time? Seems to almost always happen during bash the spider. Feels like it tries several times to raise. Sometimes it works, other times it does not. The problem is intermittent.
3. The right lower flipper sometimes goes weak. Do you think I just need to rebuild the mechs? And these are standard Williams mechs, right?
4. Does the shaker motor sound like a slow grind during the first lock of Smaug multi ball for anyone else? It is strange because otherwise the shaker is fine. Only during this section. Wasn't sure if it is intentional.

I am hoping to shop it out around Christmas time when I have some time off work. Any cool mods or upgrades that you guys suggest? I was thinking of switching all rubber out with Titan silicone so I don't have to mess with it for awhile.

Thanks!

#5907 5 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

1. The game cannot lower one of the DWARF targets. It remains up even when resetting the bank or during DWARF skill shot. I haven't had time to look under the play field at the drop target mech.
2. Why does my spider not raise all the time? Seems to almost always happen during bash the spider. Feels like it tries several times to raise. Sometimes it works, other times it does not. The problem is intermittent.
3. The right lower flipper sometimes goes weak. Do you think I just need to rebuild the mechs? And these are standard Williams mechs, right?
4. Does the shaker motor sound like a slow grind during the first lock of Smaug multi ball for anyone else? It is strange because otherwise the shaker is fine. Only during this section. Wasn't sure if it is intentional.
I am hoping to shop it out around Christmas time when I have some time off work. Any cool mods or upgrades that you guys suggest? I was thinking of switching all rubber out with Titan silicone so I don't have to mess with it for awhile.
Thanks!

As a routed game, how many plays on it?

Also many things will be worn and need cleaning, adjustment or replacing.

You will have to do a total inspection and rebuild as you go.

Best would be a total teardown.

#5908 5 years ago

TBH, I don't know number of plays. It was at a local pinball arcade. Owner does a great job taking care of his games. This one in particular did not get as much love as other games from league and tourney players so he wanted to move it. I do plan on a teardown in a couple of weeks when I have the time. Hopefully I can diagnose the small issues I have so I can get the parts in I need before then.

#5909 5 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Each target has 2 springs (and 2 coils). One coil+spring for up, and another set for down.

I'd check the springs first. Had to replace several in mine already. To be fair, the original game came with wimpy springs and I have since received the beefier ones from JJP. I replace them as they break.

#5910 5 years ago

Just had a great game on 3.0

The choreography, lighting, effects, sounds, music...WOW !

Killed smaug, finished into the fire!

What a RUSH!

The call outs and enhanced lighting all just "clicked" for me.

For once I had zero trouble understanding where I was in the game.

Really, really nicely done Ted and team.

The game is becoming World Class. It's a game like no other and deserves the finest praise.

#5911 5 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

TBH, I don't know number of plays. It was at a local pinball arcade. Owner does a great job taking care of his games. This one in particular did not get as much love as other games from league and tourney players so he wanted to move it. I do plan on a teardown in a couple of weeks when I have the time. Hopefully I can diagnose the small issues I have so I can get the parts in I need before then.

It's best to tear down 1st and then order parts.

This way you're not tempted to cut corners with parts on hand.

#5912 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The game is becoming World Class

Right!? I agree. What a game.

#5913 5 years ago

Just curious if Pindemption was ever available for the Hobbit?

#5915 5 years ago

The channel mixer default settings have been changed to bring the speech and FX in balance with the music. Since the gain is lower on the speech and FX, you are able to turn up the master volume to hear the music better.
music: old value=41, new value=41
speech: old value=66, new value=41
fanfare: old value=52, new value=35
fx: old value=52, new value=25

This will be fixed.
--Ted

I changed my sound settings back to the old values and like the game much better now!!

Thanks for posting Ted

#5916 5 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Thanks!

My R Target wouldn't drop , I looked and found a spring in the bottom of the cabinet with one end broken off , I bent up the last couple of loops and reattached it all good now .My spot lights don't work , can anyone tell me where the 12 volt plugs into the cabinet so I can check the connection.

#5917 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I looked and found a spring in the bottom of the cabinet with one end broken off , I bent up the last couple of loops and reattached it all good now

I have new ones that I bought from JJP. But when a spring breaks I reuse it this way once - and then replace after. They don't break often - but easy to fix when they do.

#5918 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

can anyone tell me where the 12 volt plugs into the cabinet so I can check the connection.

Check the manual, start with the page with the pin outs for the big metal box on the floor with the boards. Also your power supply.

LTG : )

#5919 5 years ago

I've been hearing a clicking noise since updating to 3.0. it is a few 3-5 clicks at start of the game. Not the drop Target sounds, but quieter. Can't figure it out.

#5920 5 years ago

Anyone figured out a way to make the drop targets quieter? Other than noise canceling earphones or cranking the volume?

#5921 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Anyone figured out a way to make the drop targets quieter? Other than noise canceling earphones or cranking the volume?

Dynamat the lower cabinet completely.

It will be awesome.

#5922 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Newton and captive ball upgrade.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

These look great.

Where does one find these at. Can't seem to locate them. None of the normal part sites / mod sites seem to carry these.

#5923 5 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

These look great.
Where does one find these at. Can't seem to locate them. None of the normal part sites / mod sites seem to carry these.

http://www.pinballplating.com/quick-exchange-parts/brass-balls

#5925 5 years ago

I am able to line up a 2 month old Black Arrow that's mint for a hair over 7k. Seems like a good price, but can anyone confirm? Ive been trying to research but it's tough to really nail down if that's a good deal or just normal.

#5926 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I am able to line up a 2 month old Black Arrow that's mint for a hair over 7k. Seems like a good price, but can anyone confirm? Ive been trying to research but it's tough to really nail down if that's a good deal or just normal.

Yep thats a fair deal ... seems hobbits are going between 6750-7500 huo depending on model and upgrades. Its alot of pin for that price point imo and the new code has transformed the pin into a special adventure.

#5927 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

That’s a pretty good deal for a BA, although you may be able to find a Smaug for slightly less, but I wouldn’t go out of your way, it would be a couple hundred bucks tops

#5928 5 years ago

Joined the club! Black Arrow edition. Had the most fun I think I’ve ever had playing pinball during “Into The Fire” yesterday.

#5929 5 years ago
Quoted from davisjl1979:

Joined the club! Black Arrow edition. Had the most fun I think I’ve ever had playing pinball during “Into The Fire” yesterday.

The game used to give you multi balls every 2 minutes, but now that it is spaced out a bit better, the crazy multiball “battles” are a real treat! I love the “stage 1, stage 2” call outs

#5930 5 years ago

Just had a great game on 3.0
The choreography, lighting, effects, sounds, music...WOW !
Killed smaug, finished into the fire!
What a RUSH!
The call outs and enhanced lighting all just "clicked" for me.
For once I had zero trouble understanding where I was in the game.
Really, really nicely done Ted and team.
The game is becoming World Class. It's a game like no other and deserves the finest praise.

I am running 2.97 and waiting to install 3.0 or 3. ... reading about default issues with smaugs mouth and volume exct.
my question is does 3.0 play any different than 2.97?

#5931 5 years ago

I have had no issues with 3.0. Never installed 2.97. Never did a beta, only official releases.

#5932 5 years ago

Seems like some fairly big changes until 2.991 and then not so much...

==============================================================================
== Version 3.0 November 12, 2018 ==
== 3.00 ISO image MD5 checksum: 0ef75a9406716b306cd73b63b394f5db ==
- NOTE: This is a FULL INSTALL release
* Changed "Gollum Save" display to prevent showing it on top of Extra Ball
* Updated Operator Manual to 3.4
=== OS
* Support for newer motherboards
== Version 2.991 November 2, 2018 ==
=== Game Code
* Fixed "Defeat of Azog" U-turn ramp diverter behavior
* Fixed Book Mode ball locked display sometimes showing +0 balls
* Changed Windlance display logic to ensure the shot meter always shows up
* Changed dragon priority for Smaug MB vs. modes
=== Core Code
* Fixed drop target malfunction detection
== Version 2.99 October 29, 2018 ==
=== Game Code
* Fixed "Battle of Five Armies" stage 3 logic
* Changed Arkenstone mode grace period behavior to no longer lock out all rules
* Changed "Defeat of Azog" rule to use U-turn ramp diverter
* Reverted "Light Mystery" inlane rule to V2.01 behavior
+ Added effects for Smaug Multiball Victory laps
* Adjusted music ducking for Smaug defeated
* Modified and added a few lamp effects
* Swapped fanfares for "Gandalf qualified" and "Book Mode lit"
* Updated Operator Manual to 3.3
=== Core Code
* Updated currency and pricing adjustment system
- Pricing settings display more sensibly when currency setting is changed
- Changing currency resets all pricing adjustments and earnings audits
- Invalid pricing tiers are now flagged when set
* Fixed Euro 11 preset
+ Added Japan pricing preset
== Version 2.98 October 18, 2018 ==
=== Game Code
* Modified some lamp effects
* Refined how speech is handled in Arkenstone modes
+ Added Extra Ball count and Tilt Warnings remaining to Status Report
* Changed beast taunting in "The Bait" to prevent repeated scoring w/misadjusted target
* Changed scoring on "Portcullis Loop" award
=== Core Code
* Fixed defect in drop target handler that would reset a drop target instead of scoring

#5933 5 years ago

My dragon stopped turning! Any tips?

#5934 5 years ago

Im staying on 2.99 for now

#5935 5 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

My dragon stopped turning! Any tips?

The settings for Smaug seem to have been changed if you did the 3.00 install - I believe there's a message above about Smaug's mouth not opening correctly, he may need some adjustments to the turn settings in your game

#5936 5 years ago

Also, is the link for 2.991 still available? I am still on 2.97 and don't have a big enough USB stick for 3.0 where I am today

#5937 5 years ago

So, look for a used one?

Indeed, but I just can't justify it now. What with what I've put into the Fireball II project these last five months.

But that thought did cross my mind. It's a pretty looking pinball game.

Time will tell

#5938 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The settings for Smaug seem to have been changed if you did the 3.00 install - I believe there's a message above about Smaug's mouth not opening correctly, he may need some adjustments to the turn settings in your game

My Smaug's mouth wasn't working right when I updated. All it takes is a few moments in the Smaug mouth test section in adjustments. Change the settings for his min (closed) and max (open). His mouth will open and close "live" as you adjust the numbers. Just set that mouth how you like it, and he'll speak normally again.

#5939 5 years ago

Updated today. First thing I noticed was Smaug’s mouth defaulted to open - and his “lip sync” animation didn’t work right. His mouth would close when speaking. I adjusted his min/max mouth settings and got it to work.

Do you remember how much you had to change the min/max settings to get the lip sync correct? Having same issue and I'm unsure once I get into the settings how much change to make to each of them.

#5940 5 years ago

According to Steve at JJP, he says to keep the values no more than 18 apart. This has not worked for me, but then again I dont know where to start and I have tried various settings. He also said to check the values written on the bottom of the servo motor as different Smaug motors have different values. The software updates change the settings, so this could be the reason other than a motor burning out.

#5941 5 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

According to Steve at JJP, he says to keep the values no more than 18 apart.

I’ve got mine at 120 & 138.

#5942 5 years ago

Mine works well at 108 &125

#5943 5 years ago

I checked the values and changed them on my game (a long time ago). Smaug stopped looking like he was whispering and now looks like he should. Really transformed the old dude...

#5944 5 years ago

Just downloaded the 3.0 from Jersey Jack for the Hobbit and presently running the 2.96. I saw that there is a Hobbit Change Log 3.0. What is that and does that need to be downloaded?
Thanks!
Tom

#5945 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Just downloaded the 3.0 from Jersey Jack for the Hobbit and presently running the 2.96. I saw that there is a Hobbit Change Log 3.0. What is that and does that need to be downloaded?
Thanks!
Tom

It just shows you what was changed in 3.0, you do not need to download it. Have fun!

#5946 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

I saw that there is a Hobbit Change Log 3.0. What is that and does that need to be downloaded?

The change logs lets you know what was all added or changed. It's to read if you want. Not to be installed in your game.

Quoted from PinballT:

Just downloaded the 3.0 from Jersey Jack for the Hobbit

Just to check, you know it is a full install and not a delta, right ?

#5947 5 years ago

Thanks! I do know it's a full install so I just followed the instructions by Jersey Jack's Web site. I had to download the software to put on USB and then loaded it. All went well! I just finished downloading on pin and it looks great so far. I have not started a game yet. Is there things I should do before I start the first game? I am sure I will have to put it to Free Play but anything else? Something with the dragon?
Thanks and this pin is AWESOME!!

#5948 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Is there things I should do before I start the first game?

No. Anything that pops up, make adjustments over time.

#5949 5 years ago

My up kickers are taking two to three times to kick up. Is there a way to adjust them?
Thanks!

#5950 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

My up kickers are taking two to three times to kick up. Is there a way to adjust them?

Settings - Coils - in there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 119 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/119 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.